NYP: The Whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick

C Mart

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

RB’s being picked in the top 5 is a rarity today. The value and longevity of that position in the NFL ‘s modern offensive pass first schemes doesn’t warrant it. We’ll see when Barkley goes. I think the only reason he may go in the top 5 is that the Brown’s have picks 1&4 and they traded Crowell so they may go RB at 4.

They signed Hyde to a bigger contract than Crowell and they still have Duke in his rookie deal 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/16/2018 at 4:35 AM, flgreen said:

I think if the Bills trade up, it will be to 4 and take Allen.  Just can't see Giants moving  back to 12.  Of course the bills could do a 2 bounce trade to 4 to 2.  Man that would be expensive though.  

If the Bills do that, then I hope they cop as much stick from the "experts" as the Jets took for trading three second round picks to move up three spots with the Colts. The Bills' roster has holes everywhere, especially on the mess they call the offensive line. They can't afford to give away current and future draft picks to jump up 10 spots in the draft, especially when the Giants are highly unlikely to agree to move back to #12 in the draft.

I actually think that it will take a king's ransom to move into the top six at the moment. I can't see the Jets moving back from #3 unless Maccagnan in secret only likes two QBs and they're both off the board by the time the Jets pick. I can't see the Giants moving back into double digits because it guarantees that they don't get a supposed generational talent or the heir apparent to Eli. Browns get the chance to take the QB they like best and probably one of Barkley or Chubb. Broncos get Nelson or a QB they like after the Browns, possibly the Giants and the Jets pick and the Colts get either Nelson or Chubb.

For whichever team that moves out of the top #6, they're guaranteed to miss out on all those players.

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

Is it possible they like some of the QBs but may not be sure Davis Webb isn't potentially a starter.  Barkley would immediately transform their offense, even with Eli, or even with Webb.  Leaving aside what benefits the Jets the most, I actually don't think taking Barkley would be a mistake for them.

I bet Gettleman is thinking seriously about taking Barkley and then taking a second-tier QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the mid-rounds to battle it out with Webb while Eli plays out the string of his contract.

Having Barkley, Beckham, Shepard and Engram would surely help the Giants ease the decline of Eli as much as possible, especially with Solder fortifying the offensive line.

2 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

I bet Gettleman is thinking seriously about taking Barkley and then taking a second-tier QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the mid-rounds to battle it out with Webb while Eli plays out the string of his contract.

Having Barkley, Beckham, Shepard and Engram would surely help the Giants ease the decline of Eli as much as possible, especially with Solder fortifying the offensive line.

Except the easiest way to pay Odell would be with the money you save by Eli retiring or trading him to Jacksonville when Bortles gets them off to a 3-5 start next year. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Except the easiest way to pay Odell would be with the money you save by Eli retiring or trading him to Jacksonville when Bortles gets them off to a 3-5 start next year. 

Through 4 seasons Bortles has been better than Eli was through 4 seasons and his first 3 playoff games much better than Eli's first 3 which included winning a playoff game when his D allowed 42 pts.  Eli has never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20.   Coughlin knows Eli and made no attempt to try to get him. That should tell us something.

I do agree they should get rid of him and use some of that money they were throwing away on Eli on a great player like Odell.

5 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Rudolph isn’t getting past Belichick in round 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Through 4 seasons Bortles has been better than Eli was through 4 seasons and his first 3 playoff games much better than Eli's first 3 which included winning a playoff game when his D allowed 42 pts.  Eli has never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20.   Coughlin knows Eli and made no attempt to try to get him. That should tell us something.

I do agree they should get rid of him and use some of that money they were throwing away on Eli on a great player like Odell.

Next season is Eli’s last with the Giants

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eventually that’s what they’ll do

20 hours ago, peebag said:

So the Giants wouldn't be interested in the following?

Round 1: Pick No. 21

Round 1: Pick No. 22

Round 2: Pick No. 53

Round 2: Pick No. 56

Round 3: Pick No. 65

Round 3: Pick No. 96

Macagnan should be interested.  But he’s Macagnan 

On 4/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, NYJCAP2 said:

Logically, I don’t see how the Giants make a trade back if it isn’t for a top 5 pick.

That means they would be passing up a QB, Barkley, Chubb or Nelson for B replacement.

Makes zero sense.

I can perhaps see the NYG trading back but not all the way to #12.

Archived