McShay on Macc

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And after Mayfield melts down here Macc gets another extension 

If you're this negative now and apparently equally so going forward why follow the Jets at all ? You're only going to increase both your stress and blood pressure. Why not follow Green Bay. They've got a lot better QB and overall roster than us.

Mac selected safety at 6 and again in the 2nd round. Safety. And not a rangy, ball hawk type safety, an in the box safety who has decent cover skills and "leadership". Seriously?

Im not 100% convinced we dont skip QB and select Barkley, because you know our dumba$s head coach wants to "run more" when we were  one of the more balanced teams in the NFL last year.

The 2018 $hitstorm is coming hard. At least we can watch a 39 year old JAG at QB again, and if we pick QB get ready to claw your eyes out as we read the training camp reports about how our Top 3 draft pick got no first team reps and 10 snaps total, because you know Toilet is standing there at the press conferences mumbling "Josh is the starter" to every question.

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Mac selected safety at 6 and again in the 2nd round. Safety. And not a rangy, ball hawk type safety, an in the box safety who has decent cover skills and "leadership". Seriously?

Im not 100% convinced we dont skip QB and select Barkley, because you know our dumba$s head coach wants to "run more" when we were  one of the more balanced teams in the NFL last year.

The 2018 $hitstorm is coming hard. At least we can watch a 39 year old JAG at QB again, and if we pick QB get ready to claw your eyes out as we read the training camp reports about how our Top 3 draft pick got no first team reps and 10 snaps total, because you know Toilet is standing there at the press conferences mumbling "Josh is the starter" to every question.

This is the other thing: the team most likely to benefit from spreading a rumor about the Giants passing on Rosen would be the Jets. I’d put the chances the Jets either draft a non-quarterback at 3 or trade down at around 15%. 

It’s not the number of picks that are on the team that matters.  Because his rate of those is going to drop significantly once Petty, Hack, Maulsin, D.Smith, and possibly Donahue are let loose very soon.

On the solid/starters, they are counting Shell who is average at best and missed several games to injury last year, a punter, and the jury is still out on Lee.

So I will give him Jenkins, Williams, Adams, and Maye.

So our of the 4 legit starters, two were top 6 picks, which should be automatic.  So he gets credit for Jenkins and Maye.

But all the goodwill from those two is obliterated with the Hackenberg pick.  So it’s absolutley up to the third pick in this draft.  If they end up with Darnold or Rosen, then the trade made perfect sense.  If it’s Mayfield, well we will never know if he would have made it to 6, possibly.

If he takes Allen, he just needs to start cleaning out his office.

I know I should publish this whole article, but it’s got charts and I ain’t got time for that (kidding I do but no), but Vikings blogger Arif Hassan went back and tracked the performance of all the alleged draft gurus over 2014 and 2015 and determined that McShay and Matt Miller are outright garbage. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/featured/who-constructed-the-best-big-board-of-the-2015-nfl-draft/

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is the other thing: the team most likely to benefit from spreading a rumor about the Giants passing on Rosen would be the Jets. I’d put the chances the Jets either draft a non-quarterback at 3 or trade down at around 15%. 

Rosen could also just be falling our of favor 

It's impossible to tell from silly season speculation, but he is the guy with 2 legit knocks on him and if you count winning percentage, 3 knocks 

It's possible the guys who have to live with the reality of putting their livelihood on the line don't dismiss those knocks because every mock says he is "the most ready to play" like fans do 

He could go to the Giants, he could also be the guy that slides 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I know I should publish this whole article, but it’s got charts and I ain’t got time for that (kidding I do but no), but Vikings blogger Arif Hassan went back and tracked the performance of all the alleged draft gurus over 2014 and 2015 and determined that McShay and Matt Miller are outright garbage. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/featured/who-constructed-the-best-big-board-of-the-2015-nfl-draft/

I've ALWAYS considered McDick as garbage. Always trying to one up Mel.

If the truth is being told, Mac's career in MY is hanging by a thread. 4 years into this regime this team really, really sucks. Not to mention, Mac seems to be allergic to spending money? Even when he is spending money no quality players want to play for such a joke of an organization. The fans and ownership have had enough. If Mac doesn't finally hit on an excellent QB this offseason, he's going to be fired.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

It’s not the number of picks that are on the team that matters.  Because his rate of those is going to drop significantly once Petty, Hack, Maulsin, D.Smith, and possibly Donahue are let loose very soon.

Look at the stars that are picked in the lower rounds.  They are tough to find, but a good GM finds them.   Even if it is spotting a Kamara or a Kareem Hunt.  

Let's look at these picks, honestly:

Petty-they needed a young QB and he fit Gailey's system.  QBs were going higher -Grayson was picked in the third.  But this pick was too high.  I give it a B-

Hack-anyone on this board could have said it was a bad idea.  Look at the players drafted after Hack in the second round.  Several would start for the Jets today-Deion Jones, Cravens (before injury), Whitehair, Alexander, Byard (a S!), Yannick from Jax.  I give it an F.

Maudin-for a third round edge rusher, he had some skills and flashed his first year.  He has latent character issues and parties too much.  He passed on Eli Harold and David Johnson.  I give it a C.  

D.Smith-they missed out on Desean Jackson and needed a burner for Geno.  Never really injured before.  I give it a B.

Donahue-he had character issues and very short arms.  Red Flags everywhere.  D-.

A few more grades:

Adams-B-:  passed up on 2 players picked higher on every redraft-Lattimore and Watson.  Soon to be 3-Mahomes.

Adarious Stewart-Inc heading to D.  He better be better than Kareem Hunt and Elflein.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I love this time of year when draft bros crane their necks to say say something about teams they haven’t seen at all and say sh*t like, “man, solid.” It’s like when you fly out of LaGuardia and you look down at South Jersey and you’re like, “man, that looks nice.” 

What you’ve got a problem with inbreeding?  Then just say it.

I’ve admired all your posts....up until now.

imo, mac is maligned too much.  sure he hasn't drafted those scary players but a lot of that also depend on how the player is used by the team.  imo too, teams make their own all stars.  without a supporting cast of harry carson, carl banks, ey al maybe lawrence taylor doesn't achieve his all planet greatness.  it's a team game and how the team plays is a reflection of how good the players play together.

I’ll give the guy 2 more years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, varjet said:

Look at the stars that are picked in the lower rounds.  They are tough to find, but a good GM finds them.   Even if it is spotting a Kamara or a Kareem Hunt.  

Let's look at these picks, honestly:

Petty-they needed a young QB and he fit Gailey's system.  QBs were going higher -Grayson was picked in the third.  But this pick was too high.  I give it a B-

Hack-anyone on this board could have said it was a bad idea.  Look at the players drafted after Hack in the second round.  Several would start for the Jets today-Deion Jones, Cravens (before injury), Whitehair, Alexander, Byard (a S!), Yannick from Jax.  I give it an F.

Maudin-for a third round edge rusher, he had some skills and flashed his first year.  He has latent character issues and parties too much.  He passed on Eli Harold and David Johnson.  I give it a C.  

D.Smith-they missed out on Desean Jackson and needed a burner for Geno.  Never really injured before.  I give it a B.

Donahue-he had character issues and very short arms.  Red Flags everywhere.  D-.

A few more grades:

Adams-B-:  passed up on 2 players picked higher on every redraft-Lattimore and Watson.  Soon to be 3-Mahomes.

Adarious Stewart-Inc heading to D.  He better be better than Kareem Hunt and Elflein.

Don’t forget picking Marcus Maye over Dalvin Cook.  Which makes missing on Kareem Hunt even worse.  At least if he took Maye in the second and came back with Hunt in the 3rd you could excuse it, but no he doubled down on below average talent and took Stewart over Hunt. 

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I present this without(much) commentary.  I think the general consensus of Jets fan is that Macc has done a poor job.  On the other hand, I think non Jets fans have a different perception.  McShay appears to be one.  I am not advocating for or against, I just find it interesting.  The numbers used here will go down a bit, but I think his overall point would stay the same.

Help me understand why 21/22 picks remaining on the roster is cause for praise when that amounts to back-to-back 5-11 seasons?

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Don’t forget picking Marcus Maye over Dalvin Cook.  Which makes missing on Kareem Hunt even worse.  At least if he took Maye in the second and came back with Hunt in the 3rd you could excuse it, but no he doubled down on below average talent and took Stewart over Hunt. 

Dalvin Cook didnt even play last year

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dalvin Cook didnt even play last year

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ok, thanks.  

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Find evidence that will be supporting in full. You're welcome

Dalvin Cook did not even play last year.  Yet he had 50 more rushing yards than Elijah McGuire.  RB of the future!

47 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Help me understand why 21/22 picks remaining on the roster is cause for praise when that amounts to back-to-back 5-11 seasons?

I personally think it is completely reasonable to think that when the majority of your best players are in their first few seasons in the league, growing pains are to be expected.

The Jaguars won 15 games combined in the 4 seasons leading into last season.  Does that mean their roster was awful or they just were young?

Last year the playoffs included 7 of the top 10 oldest teams in the NFL.  2 more in the top half.  The Chiefs were 17th, Jags 25th and Rams 31.

So yes, a young roster can definitely contend, but it is far less common.

If people want to say the Jets roster is awful, then that's fine.  I personally think there is more talent present then some.  That should also be fine.  I'm not trying to say that the roster is loaded.  It's not.  I just don't think it's the desolate wasteland some make it out to be.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I personally think it is completely reasonable to think that when the majority of your best players are in their first few seasons in the league, growing pains are to be expected.

The Jaguars won 15 games combined in the 4 seasons leading into last season.  Does that mean their roster was awful or they just were young?

Last year the playoffs included 7 of the top 10 oldest teams in the NFL.  2 more in the top half.  The Chiefs were 17th, Jags 25th and Rams 31.

So yes, a young roster can definitely contend, but it is far less common.

I think this can be kind of overblown.  Teams that contend will keep a few older vets on and add older players to help down the stretch - like the Chiefs adding Revis.  Our team is built around a 40 year old QB.  5-11 youth develops into 6-10/7-9 vets.  The guys first draft has 3 years under its belt - what are they waiting for?

Archived