Gil Brandt’s latest draft predictions

Persiussa

I heard Gil Brandt talking on Sirius NFL radio today. There is no link because this isn’t an article. Just repeating what I heard. Here was his prediction for the top 5 picks and what he thinks will happen.

1 he had josh Allen going to the Browns

2 he said he didn’t have any inside information on the Giants at all and didn’t have a clue what they were going to do. He just said he expects them to choose between Barkley or Darnold if he’s there.  he did not list Chubb in his scenario.

3 he had the Jets taking Mayfield but didn’t make a comment about what might happen if Darnold was still on the board. Maybe he just expects him to be gone by then?  Not sure. 

4 the Browns 2nd pick was Chubb

5 he made a mistake here and put the colts on the clock at 5. Not sure if he just meant to say denver or if he got the draft order wrong.

yes this is very indefinite. But it’s relevant because Gil is very much an insider and this is based on what he’s being told. 

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think we're taking Mayfield regardless of who's on the board. He's the one you'd bank on being there so I'd imagine one guy had to stand out for us to make the move with the others merely being insurance. 

If Mayfield is he consensus top Jets QB I am OK with this.

But if Bowles and Mac are doing this bc they think Mayfield is their best shot at another extension....oh vey!

Who is Gil Brandt and what makes his picks any better than the Patriots fan down the street? Also he doesn't know anything about who the Giants are picking and he made a mistake on pick 5.  Hmmm. Even my neighbor knows what team has the 5th pick.  

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Who is Gil Brandt and what makes his picks any better than the Patriots fan down the street? Also he doesn't know anything about who the Giants are picking and he made a mistake on pick 5.  Hmmm. Even my neighbor knows what team has the 5th pick.  

Butt fumble 

Really seems like the Jets are in on Mayfield.  The scenario that makes it interesting is Darnold might also be available. 

The trade up to #3 was the correct move.  That I am sure of.  Whether they pick the right guy is another story...

21 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

I heard Gil Brandt talking on Sirius NFL radio today. There is no link because this isn’t an article. Just repeating what I heard. Here was his prediction for the top 5 picks and what he thinks will happen.

1 he had josh Allen going to the Browns

2 he said he didn’t have any inside information on the Giants at all and didn’t have a clue what they were going to do. He just said he expects them to choose between Barkley or Darnold if he’s there.  he did not list Chubb in his scenario.

3 he had the Jets taking Mayfield but didn’t make a comment about what might happen if Darnold was still on the board. Maybe he just expects him to be gone by then?  Not sure. 

4 the Browns 2nd pick was Chubb

5 he made a mistake here and put the colts on the clock at 5. Not sure if he just meant to say denver or if he got the draft order wrong.

yes this is very indefinite. But it’s relevant because Gil is very much an insider and this is based on what he’s being told. 

Got to give him credit for stating he has no clue what the Giants are doing, most guys would just take an assumption, and make it sound like inside info.

13 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Is he a postman?

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Got to give him credit for stating he has no clue what the Giants are doing, most guys would just take an assumption, and make it sound like inside info.

Right now the giants dictate the top of the draft but clearly its tough to get a read on what they’re going to do.  And with the jets its so much easier because they’re taking a qb.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rosen’s stock falling like a rock 

Rosen is who he is, but what’s happened is that mayfield’s tape is better, allen aced the pre-draft process and there are teams picking in the top 8 who are not taking qbs (Indy, cleveland at 4, Tampa, Chicago and maybe the giants).

19 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Lol, you dont know who Gil Brandt is? He is the probably the biggest Hall of Fame snub outside of Klecko in NFL history. He is responsible for much of what we know about modern football, scouting, analytics and player evaluation and to this day still chooses the players that attend the draft and manages much of the draft himself. 

13 hours ago, Nixhead said:

You are kidding right?  What are you, 16 years old?  

Heres a 'for example' for you..    5 weeks before free agency started...  long before any 'legal tampering' or other bullsht time limit, Brandt said on NFL Network on Serius that the Minnesota Vikings would be announcing a blockbuster free agency signing that was going to be different from anything the league has seen, but couldn't say what it was.  (Turns out he was 100% correct and the unusual/unique part was the 100% guarantee).  This was early-mid February.  So that's when the Cousins deal was really done and Brandt knew about it then. He's the one talking head who I listen to.  If you are going to listen to anybody, one of them should be Brandt.  FYI.  

Speaking of Gil Brandt found this tweet interesting from him, take it as you will.

Since 2003 289 players have attended the NFL combine:

8 had a hand size of ≥10”

3 have won a super bowl
Foles (10 5/8), Wilson (10 1/4), Rodgers (10 1/8)

5 have been selected to the Pro Bowl, all have been in a playoff game:

Wentz 
Prescott 
Luck
Taylor
Stafford 
(all 10’0)

Calling Josh Allen lovers!

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

We should compile a list of people who’ve left front office positions in the past few years to figure out where the leaks from the past came from. 

Pettine was Mehta's main leaky faucet

Which leads me to think it was Petine who gave Manish the early lo down on the reality of Mo Wilkerson.  

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Whether you like it or not might as well get use to Mayfield being the pick. 

I don't think so, chooch.

I've listened to at least 90% of Macc and Bowles' press conferences the last 3 years and I just don't think he's their guy.  If he didn't produce immediately his act would quickly wear thin both in the locker room and with fans. 

I'm guessing they'd LOVE Darnold then have Rosen and Allen a c-hair apart -- hence the trade up to 3.

My guess is Mayfield is going to be the last QB picked probably at 10 when the Bills trade up with Oakland to hop over Miami.

I think the Baker hype from multiple teams is nothing more than gamesmanship.

4 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

If Mayfield is he consensus top Jets QB I am OK with this.

But if Bowles and Mac are doing this bc they think Mayfield is their best shot at another extension....oh vey!

EXACTLY!! Maccagnan/Bowles need production from a potential Franchise QB YESTERDAY.  Maccagnans drafts have been dismal and Bowles can’t coach, a Franchise QB buys them many many more paychecks.

Mayfield appears to be the most ready to produce right away, hence I close to guarantee you he’s the pick.  They’ll choose him over Rosen, if Rosen is still there at 3.  Rosen’s hat will definitely be part of the equation in not selecting him.

Stamp Rosen’s aka Aaron Rodgers Jr., ticket to Canton right now haha.

At this point I think there's a 99% chance the Jets get either Mayfield or Rosen, and a 1% chance they get any other guy!  It seems like practically a lock that it will be one of those two in almost any scenario (Browns going Darnold or Allen at #1, Giants trading out, Giants taking a QB, etc.)

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I remember Gil Brandt LOVED Johnny Manziel.  Had him as his number one overall prospect at one point.  

Manziel was the Top choice in many evaluators eyes... he just screwed himself up... if he kept his head on straight I think he would be doing very well for whatever team he was playing for.

Archived