Is Eli Manning overrated?

Patriot Killa

Is Eli overrated?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I like how everyone ignores the silly escape Eli did to just throw that ball. 

Great play (though it should have been blown dead) then a ball sticks to a helmet.  Anyone can make a play, can they do it consistently and the answer in Eli's case is no.  

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He led them to 9 and 10 win seasons, yet was carried to the two Superbowl victories and MVP's.  Gee, how convenient.

He contributed like Sanchez contributed to our runs but unlike with Sanchez his D stepped up in conf title games.  

I have yet to see anyone actually make a real case for Eli as a HOFer

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Great play (though it should have been blown dead) then a ball sticks to a helmet.  Anyone can make a play, can they do it consistently and the answer in Eli's case is no.  

He contributed like Sanchez contributed to our runs but unlike with Sanchez his D stepped up in conf title games.  

I have yet to see anyone actually make a real case for Eli as a HOFer

This thread s asking if he is overrated . Go to the last Eli thread that was about making the HOF. Wasn’t that long ago. Fun thread. 

I think most people don’t overatw Eli. I very well may. I just felt like a kid again when he/they beat the undefeated Pats. Liked the second time they beat them too. More appreciative than Nythimg else. 

I was four during  SBIII. I would put any Jet QB in the hall if they won us a single SB. They win two, I woul give them a piggyback ridwe there. . Haha 

2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

Top 10 all time completions

Top 10 all time yards

Top 10 all time TD's

He went 8 straight years without a losing record. 7 + .500 seasons in his career.  The snap streak.  The clutch plays. etc.

Eli might be underrated. 

16 hours ago, The Crusher said:

This thread s asking if he is overrated . Go to the last Eli thread that was about making the HOF. Wasn’t that long ago. Fun thread. 

I think most people don’t overatw Eli. I very well may. I just felt like a kid again when he/they beat the undefeated Pats. Liked the second time they beat them too. More appreciative than Nythimg else. 

I was four during  SBIII. I would put any Jet QB in the hall if they won us a single SB. They win two, I woul give them a piggyback ridwe there. . Haha 

Yes he's overrated because posters like you think he's a HOFer.

I can understand Jet fans being happy Eli was part of a team to knock off new England

15 hours ago, JiF said:

2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

Top 10 all time yards

Top 10 all time TD's

He went 8 straight years without a losing record. 7 + .500 seasons in his career.  The snap streak.  The clutch plays. etc.

Eli might be underrated. 

He's missed playoffs 7 of 9 seasons in a weak division.

He has only won playoff games in 2 of his 14 seasons

Here's never led any major category other than ints which he led THREE times.

He's never received a single league MVP vote

Never made any all pro team

Only been selected to two pro bowls

Has never won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 pts

I believe he's number 6 all time in pass yds so he should be top 10 in those in categories but the numbers have mostly been meaningless, compiled in garbage time because he couldn't keep his teams in games.

He is incredibly overrated because of 2 months of football where his defense was incredible and made it possible to win 2 SBs scoring 17 & 19 pts

Superbowl winning QBs are often over-rated. It's the nature of the position - they get more credit than they deserve for the wins, and more blame than they deserve for the losses.

Eli has been a very good QB for a long time, and he deserves credit for that and for being the QB on two Superbowl winners. 

I don't think, ultimately, he will be remembered as one of the all-time greats. But he has definitely been an excellent QB for the Giants, and well worth the price they paid for him in the draft and in contractual terms.

If Eli wasn’t a Manning he would have gotten more credit I think. It’s just that everyone expected him to be as good if not better than Peyton, coming out of college.

You play sports to win championships, and he stepped up in two playoff/championship runs and played elite, even though for most of his career he was not elite.

But he was a damn good FQB.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He's missed playoffs 7 of 9 seasons in a weak division.

He has only won playoff games in 2 of his 14 seasons

Here's never led any major category other than ints which he led THREE times.

He's never received a single league MVP vote

Never made any all pro team

Only been selected to two pro bowls

Has never won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 pts

I believe he's number 6 all time in pass yds so he should be top 10 in those in categories but the numbers have mostly been meaningless, compiled in garbage time because he couldn't keep his teams in games.

He is incredibly overrated because of 2 months of football where his defense was incredible and made it possible to win 2 SBs scoring 17 & 19 pts

Exactly, you diminish everything else that is important and focus on stupid fluffy stuff.  You've proved my point he's underrated.

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

Exactly, you diminish everything else that is important and focus on stupid fluffy stuff.  You've proved my point he's underrated.

Yeah the compiled numbers are the important stuff, the little things like all pros or those numbers showing actual greatness are silly fluff ?

YOU have proven the point that he's overrated

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

If Eli wasn’t a Manning he would have gotten more credit I think. It’s just that everyone expected him to be as good if not better than Peyton, coming out of college.

You play sports to win championships, and he stepped up in two playoff/championship runs and played elite, even though for most of his career he was not elite.

But he was a damn good FQB.

No one ever thought he'd be anywhere near as good as Peyton. Peyton was basically a sure thing, Eli was more of an unknown and had basically been a mediocre QB most of his career.

He played well in those two playoff runs and deserves credit but he didn't elevate then, his D shut down opponents to make it easy on the offense.

A little comparison. Eli's 2 SBs vs this past SB. All against Brady and the pats.

Eli led his Os to 36 total pts in 2 games, foles led his O to 41 in 1.

Eli had 3 TD passes combined, foles threw 3 and caught 1 in one game.

NYG D allowed 31 total pts in both games, Philly D allowed 33 in one game. 

Foles led his O to more pts in that game than Eli has in any postseason game and he won that SB when his D allowed 33 pts, Eli has NEVER won a playoff game when his D has be allowed more than an 20 pts.

Eli doesn't belong in the conversation for the Hall of Fame

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

2 Super Bowls can my qb be overrated like that?

If our D/STs played like NYGs did we may have 2 SBs with sanchez.  Eli is a QB that a team can win with if they have Superior talent around him. If not they have no chance as we have seen with them missing 7 of the last 9 postseasons.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No one ever thought he'd be anywhere near as good as Peyton. Peyton was basically a sure thing, Eli was more of an unknown and had basically been a mediocre QB most of his career.

He played well in those two playoff runs and deserves credit but he didn't elevate then, his D shut down opponents to make it easy on the offense.

A little comparison. Eli's 2 SBs vs this past SB. All against Brady and the pats.

Eli led his Os to 36 total pts in 2 games, foles led his O to 41 in 1.

Eli had 3 TD passes combined, foles threw 3 and caught 1 in one game.

NYG D allowed 31 total pts in both games, Philly D allowed 33 in one game. 

Foles led his O to more pts in that game than Eli has in any postseason game and he won that SB when his D allowed 33 pts, Eli has NEVER won a playoff game when his D has be allowed more than an 20 pts.

Eli doesn't belong in the conversation for the Hall of Fame

So what the Giants did against a completely different Pats team years ago is relevant to what Foles did last year how?  It just cant be that the Eagles were a better team than the last two Giants teams that won the SB? Because they were.  

And stop with the Sanchez nonsense.  The Jets had a better OL, better running game...lead the NFL, the leagues best defense and youre talking how easy Eli had it.  STs?  Really?  STs, lol. Eli is 1000xs better QB than Sanchez and he didn't cheat.

18 hours ago, JiF said:

2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

Top 10 all time yards

Top 10 all time TD's

Eli might be underrated. 

But he's no Sanchez, lol

The NY Junk philosophy:

1.  Arbitrarily take on a position with little reason or logic.
2.  Cherry pick information that doesn't even support your position, but doesn't completely disprove you, which you insist proves you right, just as long as you say so.
3.  Ignore the overwhelming evidence that proves you factually inaccurate.
4.  Fabricate new points that contradict your own prior fabrications, ultimately making it literally impossible for you to be correct.
5.  Repeat... endlessly... regardless of it being completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
6.  Celebrate your self-designated victory despite every single person with functioning brain cells disagreeing.

But no, we all love hearing the gargling of Sanchez some more, as a desperate attempt to somehow justify a little sh*t fit about the supposed overrated nature of Eli, which is entirely dependent on something that has not even happened and can't for a minimum of another 6 years.

18 hours ago, JiF said:

2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

Top 10 all time yards

Top 10 all time TD's

Eli might be underrated. 

And Vinny has more TD's and passing yards then Montana..:)

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So what the Giants did against a completely different Pats team years ago is relevant to what Foles did last year how?  It just cant be that the Eagles were a better team than the last two Giants teams that won the SB? Because they were.  

And stop with the Sanchez nonsense.  The Jets had a better OL, better running game...lead the NFL, the leagues best defense and youre talking how easy Eli had it.  STs?  Really?  STs, lol. Eli is 1000xs better QB than Sanchez and he didn't cheat.

They were better because they had better QBs. Philly's D didn't play anywhere near by as well in their SB run as NYGs D's did.

The Giants defense was much better in postseason, our rbs and ol were comparable to those Giants teams but jet fans love to overrate them.

Eli played well in those runs and his D was great throughout. Sanchez played well in his runs and his D was great until title games where they folded. Switch the QBs and the team results stay the same

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Does Vinny have 2 SB rings and 2 SB MVP trophies? 

With a 10-0 lead in title game his D gave up 23 pts in final qtr and a half.  Eli never had a year like Vinny 98. It's not his fault his teammates didn't show up and he had a classic belichick big game defense

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The NY Junk philosophy:

1.  Arbitrarily take on a position with little reason or logic.
2.  Cherry pick information that doesn't even support your position, but doesn't completely disprove you, which you insist proves you right, just as long as you say so.
3.  Ignore the overwhelming evidence that proves you factually inaccurate.
4.  Fabricate new points that contradict your own prior fabrications, ultimately making it literally impossible for you to be correct.
5.  Repeat... endlessly... regardless of it being completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
6.  Celebrate your self-designated victory despite every single person with functioning brain cells disagreeing.

But no, we all love hearing the gargling of Sanchez some more, as a desperate attempt to somehow justify a little sh*t fit about the supposed overrated nature of Eli, which is entirely dependent on something that has not even happened and can't for a minimum of another 6 years.

I love you guys that attack me rather than the topic at hand. None of you guys can't present a decent argument or counter what I write. You just attack me.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

With a 10-0 lead in title game his D gave up 23 pts in final qtr and a half.  Eli never had a year like Vinny 98. It's not his fault his teammates didn't show up and he had a classic belichick big game defense

Correct!  Vinny doesnt have 2 SB rings and mvp trophies. 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

And Vinny has more TD's and passing yards then Montana..:)

The funny thing is that people mention the compiled numbers but never mention attention or the fact that he has played his entire career in this era which changed rules to benefit pass offenses. If you look at Eli against Montana or Unitas he blows them away on compiled numbers. Greatness isn't about compiled numbers, it's about what you do against your peers and Eli doesn't compare in any way to the best of his generation

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Correct!  Vinny doesnt have 2 SB rings and mvp trophies. 

Neither does Dan Marino, Brett favre, Jim Kelly, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, etc...  

Eli is a modern a day Jim plunkett who did less in his SB runs than plunkett

Just now, nyjunc said:

Neither does Dan Marino, Brett favre, Jim Kelly, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, etc...  

Eli is a modern a day Jim plunkett who did less in his SB runs than plunkett

Yeah but nobody underrates them like they do Eli. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The funny thing is that people mention the compiled numbers but never mention attention or the fact that he has played his entire career in this era which changed rules to benefit pass offenses. If you look at Eli against Montana or Unitas he blows them away on compiled numbers. Greatness isn't about compiled numbers, it's about what you do against your peers and Eli doesn't compare in any way to the best of his generation

Every single player in the history of the sport besides Barry Sanders, were stats compilers based on the definition set forth by Jets fans who post in forums (no where else on earth have I ever heard such b.s.).

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love you guys that attack me rather than the topic at hand. None of you guys can't present a decent argument or counter what I write. You just attack me.

Thanks for proving my point; you make sh*t up, get proven wrong, and then celebrate yourself.  Your refusal to accept the constant embarrassment you receive around here doesn't magically change it.  You're throwing a hissy fit about your one true love Mark freakin' Sanchez, for about the billionth time, when absolutely no one else is.  You are ranting about a HOF induction that doesn't yet exist, and meanwhile it is the sole basis of your weird inferiority complex built around Eli.  You're incapable of having an argument, as the entire basis of every point you ever attempt to make is 100% dependent on you arbitrarily declaring that the vast majority of facts that disprove your theories don't count, even despite those points you're saying are irrelevant being the sole basis for another argument you're making at the same time.

There is no further argument to be made, because you've already proven yourself wrong, as per usual.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Every single player in the history of the sport besides Barry Sanders, were stats compilers based on the definition set forth by Jets fans who post in forums (no where else on earth have I ever heard such b.s.).

Don't be ridiculous.

Sanders was such a compiler.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Thanks for proving my point; you make sh*t up, get proven wrong, and then celebrate yourself.  Your refusal to accept the constant embarrassment you receive around here doesn't magically change it.  You're throwing a hissy fit about your one true love Mark freakin' Sanchez, for about the billionth time, when absolutely no one else is.  You are ranting about a HOF induction that doesn't yet exist, and meanwhile it is the sole basis of your weird inferiority complex built around Eli.  You're incapable of having an argument, as the entire basis of every point you ever attempt to make is 100% dependent on you arbitrarily declaring that the vast majority of facts that disprove your theories don't count, even despite those points you're saying are irrelevant being the sole basis for another argument you're making at the same time.

There is no further argument to be made, because you've already proven yourself wrong, as per usual.

Image result for clap gif

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Sanders was such a compiler.

Well, technically every single player in the history of the NFL who records stats are compilers.  I was just trying to be generous since he retired early. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

The other great QBs have led in major categories, made many more pro bowl teams, made all pro teams, won more awards and have demonstrated great play on a consistent basis.  

He's a compiler, nothing more

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yep, you do a good job attacking me but unfortunately you struggle countering my arguments

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, technically every single player in the history of the NFL who records stats are compilers.  I was just trying to be generous since he retired early. 

Let's discuss some "top 10" yardage QBs.

Eli: 0 AP teams, selected to 2 PBs, never led in any major category other than ints(3x), only won PO games in 2 seasons, player of the week just 4 times, never received a single league MVP vote.

He passed John elway in top 10 so that means he's better, right?

Elway: 3 AP teams, selected to 9 PBs, has led in completions and yards, won PO games in 6 seasons, pow 15 times, 1987 NFL MVP, 1990s all decade team 1st team

See the difference btw an all time great and a compiler?

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The other great QBs have led in major categories, made many more pro bowl teams, made all pro teams, won more awards and have demonstrated great play on a consistent basis.  

Sounds like you're talking about a bunch of compilers and those swilly stats. 

Archived