1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Just a little memory refresher.

In both games he got a ring.  1st one Tyree catches 4th and forever on top of his head with 4 guys draped around him.  The guy’s hands were so bad most of the time, he was quickly cut not long after.  The ball hits the turf....NO ring #1.

2nd one, Brady hits Wes Welker between the numbers, with no Giant within 5 yards of him, should have been a 1st down that would have allowed NE to run out the clock and there would have been no final Giant drive....NO ring #2.

Manning has been a very good QB in streaks, he’s not consistent throughout his career...and very very lucky to have even a single ring.

For younger fans, there was close to a 20 YEAR PERIOD prior to LT being drafted in 1981, where the Giants were not better than some of the worst Jet teams to ever hit the field...close to 20 YEARS, I’ll repeat myself.  So without their 2 lucky Manning rings, Giant fans would have ONLY the Phil Simms almost perfect Super Bowl to talk sh*t about....a WORSE run when those who denigrate our teams lone Super Bowl win and how long ago it was.

As Mr. Parcells says, “you are what your record says you are.” And...both wins came against the evil empire. ‘nuff said.

In both games he got a ring.  1st one Tyree catches 4th and forever on top of his head with 4 guys draped around him.  The guy’s hands were so bad most of the time, he was quickly cut not long after.  The ball hits the turf....NO ring #1.

2nd one, Brady hits Wes Welker between the numbers, with no Giant within 5 yards of him, should have been a 1st down that would have allowed NE to run out the clock and there would have been no final Giant drive....NO ring #2.

Manning has been a very good QB in streaks, he’s not consistent throughout his career...and very very lucky to have even a single ring.

For younger fans, there was close to a 20 YEAR PERIOD prior to LT being drafted in 1981, where the Giants were not better than some of the worst Jet teams to ever hit the field...close to 20 YEARS, I’ll repeat myself.  So without their 2 lucky Manning rings, Giant fans would have ONLY the Phil Simms almost perfect Super Bowl to talk sh*t about....a WORSE run when those who denigrate our teams lone Super Bowl win and how long ago it was.

As Mr. Parcells says, “you are what your record says you are.” And...both wins came against the evil empire. ‘nuff said.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is 100% VERY overrated ! But he is 100% much better then any Jet qb we had since broadway joe lol. That is not a compliment, when a terrible, horrible qb as Mark Sanchez is considered maybe best qb since Joe N, that is just horrible

He’s definitely overrated by the media, the fans not so much and I’d rather have Vinny or O’Brien 

imo he's overrated because of the superbowl wins but he is still a top echelon qb.  he doesn't display the fire that his brother had and that whole episode with tiki barber a few seasons back was just stupid.  tiki needed to stfu.  he also benefits from playing in the ny market.  imo he's like those pitchers who pitch 250 innings and have a record of 18-12 or 17-14 every season. steady but not flashy.

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I am arguing with a few friends of mine.(Cardinals and Ravens fans)

I say he is overrated and has consistently gone 7-9 and 8-8 besides those two SB teams that ran off of Rushing and Defense.

I said he doesn’t elevate his team like Rodgers, Peyton or Brady. He needs a RB to take the pressure off of him. He isn’t a pure enough pocket passer. He needed Tiki Barber and Bradshaw as to where Rodgers can have a lazy Eddie Lacy or a converted WR(Ty Montgomery) and win.

They are arguing me that the Giants are soooo much better than the Jets but yet when I pointed out how lackluster their seasons actually are and have been for the last 15 year...besides those two SB teams..it’s just something they can’t quite process. 

So with this I ask you...is Eli overrated?

You are correct, he has mostly been an average QB his entire career.  he has 2 SBs b/c his D and Sts were GREAT during those runs.  He did contribute, he played well but w/o outstanding D/STs he doesn't have either SB trophy.  In 2 SBs he led his offense to a combined 36 points, this past SB Nick Foles led his O to 41 pts.  In 2 SBs combined his D facing the greatest QB of all time allowed a combined 31 pts, Philly allowed 33 against the same QB this past SB.

He's only been selected to 2 PBs(made 2 more as injury replacement)

never made any all pro team

never led any major category other than INTs which he has done 3 times including the 2007 SB season

w/ SB talent around him in 2007 and 2011 he led his team to 10 and 9 wins

He has led his team to missing the playoffs 7 of the last 9 seasons in a weak division

when he made the playoffs 2 years ago w/ only his 2nd season of winning 11 or more games ever he led his O to 17 PPG w/ Odell beckham Jr. healthy

The best thing you can say about Eli is that he has been incredibly durable, never missing a game b/c of injury but overall he has been a solid starter.  Sure he's had great games but he's never been consistently great.  He's never received a single league MVP vote, he has never been one of the best QBs in the league and it's laughable how he is talked about as a future HOfer b/c his D led him to 2 SBs.  He's a modern day Jim Plunkett who did less in his 2 SB runs than Plunkett in his 2 SB runs. Nice, solid starter you can win w/ if you have enough talent around him but will not elevate talent or be a difference maker. 

Would I want an Eli type? a solid starter for 15 years?  absolutely but that doesn't make him a HOFer, HOfers are supposed to be the greatest of all time.  Eli is clearly not one of the greatest of all time.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is 100% VERY overrated ! But he is 100% much better then any Jet qb we had since broadway joe lol. That is not a compliment, when a terrible, horrible qb as Mark Sanchez is considered maybe best qb since Joe N, that is just horrible

He's basically Mark Sanchez w/ his D/STs playing great throughout the SB runs where Mark's Ds/STs tanked in title games.  NYG also kept adding talent for Eli while NYJ got rid of the talent around Mark.  I firmly believe if you switch mark and Eli the Jets still lose 2 title games and NYG still win 2 SBs.  In 2 SBs Eli led his Os to 17 & 19 pts on a neutral field, in a road playoff game at Foxboro Mark led his O to 28 pts.

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Vinny when he was healthy?

Eli has never come close to a Vinny '98 type of season.  Vinny is a good comparison, both he and Vinny were mostly compilers throughout their careers and both turned it over a ton.  Eli just played on better teams and had more help from his defenses.

10 hours ago, prime21 said:

His consecutive streak, yards passing and 2 rings highlight his resume.  Overrated or not, luck or not, he perfomed the way every team would want their QB  to do in a Super Bowl game.  

his yardage totals are all about compiling.  he's only been in the top 5 in yds 3 times in his long career and the highest finish was 4th.

10 hours ago, Grandy said:

Pennington too.

Most accurate QB of all time (Aside from Brees)

Chad Pennington finished 2nd in league MVP voting once(eli has never received a single vote), Chad led the league in passing once(Eli was top 10 ONE time in his career), Chad was named conf player of the week 6 times in just 81 starts(Eli 4 times in 214 starts).

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Difference between mark Sanchez and Eli. Sanchez played horrible in 1 half of football each afc championship game. That cost us a ring. Eli held his own and played big in a COMPLETE game. Eli may not be very good, but unlike Sanchez he got them a ring, two. 1 against probably the best team ever, 18-1 patriots 

Mark barely had the ball 1st half at Pittsburgh and we had ONE RB in the 2009 title game.  once Shonn Greene went down we had no threat of a run game against 2 premiere pass rushers on the road in a dome.

What cost bus a ring was our D/STs didn't play like Eli's D/STs. 

Eli didn't get them rings, his D/STs got them rings.  NE was one of the best teams ever in 2007 b/c of the offense.  The NYG D held them to 14 pts. That's why they won.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's a healthy quarterback that has won 2 super bowls.  He's 3 years younger than tb12 

Jets fans see him as done, but the Giants don't feel the same. 

He's been terrible basically since 2012, I hope he starts for them for another 5-7 years but being healthy and being productive are 2 very different things.  Brady is older and still GREAT, Eli is older and still mediocre.  There's a reason Brady has NE in SB contention every season and Eli has NYG out of playoff contention every single season.

No he is not overrated at all for what he is.  A guy that played at a fairly high level and won two superbowls.  As for the player he is now?  He is close to being washed up imo and the giants will be utter morons if they dp not go QB a #2 this year.

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Errrr Isn't that the ultimate goal ?

I know i just love that. Eli is a compiler with two Superbowl wins and 2 superbowl MVP's. OK, undeserved MVP's because of defense and stuff and the David Tyree escape and pass was just luck and a stellar catch by the great David Tyree. The great David Tyree.

He's been terrible basically since 2012, I hope he starts for them for another 5-7 years but being healthy and being productive are 2 very different things.  Brady is older and still GREAT, Eli is older and still mediocre.  There's a reason Brady has NE in SB contention every season and Eli has NYG out of playoff contention every single season.
Yes that reason is cheating. Jets fans can't thing like Giants gm we just can't. We live for the rebuild. They only reload.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Over versus underrated 

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I know i just love that. Eli is a compiler with two Superbowl wins and 2 superbowl MVP's. OK, undeserved MVP's because of defense and stuff and the David Tyree escape and pass was just luck and a stellar catch by the great David Tyree. The great David Tyree.

Any single play can be attributed to luck. But luck doesn't get you in a position to be one lucky play away from winning the SuperBowl.

No, he's not overrated.  And that's not because Eli is some kind of all-time great, but absolutely no one thinks of him as such, not even Giants' fans.  Throughout his career Eli has never been talked about as among the league's best at the position.  He has 4 Pro Bowls and 0 All Pros throughout a 14 year career.  He's been above average over the course of a long, healthy career, which included 2 clutch postseason performances that led to rings.  He deserves credit for that, and he's never really gotten much beyond that.  Hell, he spent much of his career being seen as Peyton's little brother, outside of NY.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Over versus underrated 

Any single play can be attributed to luck. But luck doesn't get you in a position to be one lucky play away from winning the SuperBowl.

Great D and STs put him in position to lead his O to 17 & 19 pts to win 2 SBs against the greatest QB of all time. Eli didn't keep NYG in those games, he capitalized late but if NYG D doesn't shut Brady down they have no chance to win.  Nick foles was GREAT and why Philly won this past year, Eli was not foles

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

No, he's not overrated.  And that's not because Eli is some kind of all-time great, but absolutely no one thinks of him as such, not even Giants' fans.  Throughout his career Eli has never been talked about as among the league's best at the position.  He has 4 Pro Bowls and 0 All Pros throughout a 14 year career.  He's been above average over the course of a long, healthy career, which included 2 clutch postseason performances that led to rings.  He deserves credit for that, and he's never really gotten much beyond that.  Hell, he spent much of his career being seen as Peyton's little brother, outside of NY.

If that's the way he is talked about then he isn't overrated but unfortunately the media and many fans now call him a Hall of famer and the reality is he shouldn't be in the discussion so by that he is incredibly overrated

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Great D and STs put him in position to lead his O to 17 & 19 pts to win 2 SBs against the greatest QB of all time. Eli didn't keep NYG in those games, he capitalized late but if NYG D doesn't shut Brady down they have no chance to win.  Nick foles was GREAT and why Philly won this past year, Eli was not foles

Again I don't see the logic of boiling down a 16 game season, and 4 playoff games to one play and saying it was all luck. But that's just me.

Just now, nyjunc said:

If that's the way he is talked about then he isn't overrated but unfortunately the media and many fans now call him a Hall of famer and the reality is he shouldn't be in the discussion so by that he is incredibly overrated

Giants' fans praise him from a biased viewpoint, but you of all people should be able to relate to that.

He will likely end up in the hall, but that's the reality of long-term success at the league's top position.  He'll hardly be the first, nor last, to make it into the hall primarily for longevity.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again I don't see the logic of boiling down a 16 game season, and 4 playoff games to one play and saying it was all luck. But that's just me.

He led SB talented teams to 10 & 9 wins.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Giants' fans praise him from a biased viewpoint, but you of all people should be able to relate to that.

He will likely end up in the hall, but that's the reality of long-term success at the league's top position.  He'll hardly be the first, nor last, to make it into the hall primarily for longevity.

Long term success? You mean long term mediocrity.  He was never one of the top QBs in the league so how can he be honored as one of the best all time?

It's embarrassing he's even being be discussed, it waters down the honor.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

He led SB talented teams to 10 & 9 wins.

It's a chicken and egg thing. I'm in the QB-makes-the-talent, not the other way around camp. But I understand there are two views.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's a chicken and egg thing. I'm in the QB-makes-the-talent, not the other way around camp. But I understand there are two views.

HOF QBs are supposed to elevate those around him. Eli has proved he's not a difference maker, he has also proven a team can win with him if they have enough talent around him.  That's not a HOFer.  Solid starter, again I'd be happy with a long term solid starter but he's not a HOFer

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Never to be seen or heard from again.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

HOF QBs are supposed to elevate those around him. Eli has proved he's not a difference maker, he has also proven a team can win with him if they have enough talent around him.  That's not a HOFer.  Solid starter, again I'd be happy with a long term solid starter but he's not a HOFer

:rolleyes:  We'll just have to wait and see about that now won't we ?

Archived