Dog or Cat Person

joyce_mor

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, JiF said:

All I know about Bloodhounds I learned from:

I've seen that movie once, but it was years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I'll have to go back and watch it again. I remember it being pretty funny. 

21 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I've seen that movie once, but it was years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I'll have to go back and watch it again. I remember it being pretty funny. 

If you like the Christopher Guest stuff, it's my favorite of the bunch. Legit one of my favorite all time funny movies. 

Does anybody have any experience being around bloodhounds? It'll probably be years down the road, but I think I might look into getting one if I outlive my wife.* They seem like a pretty good breed as far as being friendly and only needing moderate exercise. Plus, I can make a nice living on the side utilizing his tracking abilities to solve crimes. Or at least to locate other dogs' butts. 
dog-graphics-bloodhound-177084.gif&key=363a24bbc3d5ab174b354b79ef47565fb6b41aa5989767c378ac3f02e1c05120

* Of course, this is a highly unlikely scenario. Being a Jets fan has done irreparable damage to my internal organs. Be it a heart attack or cirrhosis from chronic alcoholism, this team will kill me one day. 

I have a hound shepherd mix I rescued, but he’s all hound in disposition. I honestly freak out worrying he’s dead sometimes. The other times he’s snoring so I at least know he’s ok. Randomly he’ll wake up, and when he does he wants pets and attention. It’s hilarious when he tries to run.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Had dogs growing up.

Wife pestered me to take in her grandparent's cat since they were moving into assisted living.

Was never much and of a cat person but the only person this cat liked was me.  Also was an awesome killing machine.

Every spring she'd kill everything in site - and ate everything but the organs.  Never had to worry about varments.

Tw2mXDG.jpg

8 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Does anybody have any experience being around bloodhounds? It'll probably be years down the road, but I think I might look into getting one if I outlive my wife.* They seem like a pretty good breed as far as being friendly and only needing moderate exercise. Plus, I can make a nice living on the side utilizing his tracking abilities to solve crimes. Or at least to locate other dogs' butts.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Bloodhounds are amazing family pets and absolutely friendly but they are an extremely high maintenance breed, especially when they're puppies and young adults into adulthood. It's a breed that needs a lot of exercise because they are bred to be on the move. They also drool a LOT, all over the place, literally all the time.

Also worth noting that if you are not experienced with dogs you will have a very hard time with them as they are a difficult breed to train.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. Bloodhounds are amazing family pets and absolutely friendly but they are an extremely high maintenance breed, especially when they're puppies and young adults into adulthood. It's a breed that needs a lot of exercise because they are bred to be on the move. They also drool a LOT, all over the place, literally all the time.

Also worth noting that if you are not experienced with dogs you will have a very hard time with them as they are a difficult breed to train.

I think I could handle the training stuff if I did some research; my basset can be a stubborn dick sometimes and I'm convinced he would give me the finger if he could rotate his paw in that direction, but I've been working with him since puppyhood and he's usually pretty well-behaved. 

Exercise-wise, a bloodhound sounds a bit intensive for my current situation. I can spin my dog around the neighborhood once a day and he's set. 

Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I think I could handle the training stuff if I did some research; my basset can be a stubborn dick sometimes and I'm convinced he would give me the finger if he could rotate his paw in that direction, but I've been working with him since puppyhood and he's usually pretty well-behaved. 

Exercise-wise, a bloodhound sounds a bit intensive for my current situation. I can spin my dog around the neighborhood once a day and he's set. 

Thanks for the info. 

Basic rule of thumb is that any breed that was bred for a specific purpose is going to be higher maintenance. If you don't get them for the specific activity that they're bred for (i.e. an Alaskan Malamute, Bloodhound, or even a Jack Russell), then you need to constantly be doing stuff with them that can at least stimulate a similar type of energy.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:41 PM, the Claw said:

Definitely dogs over cats. I just enjoy them more. It’s hard enough to get humans to like me, I don’t want to have to work for a cat’s attention.

I have Italian Greyhounds and they’re just awesome animals. Totally devoted and want nothing more than to be right next to you. It’s definitely a trade off, though. Personal time and space are a thing of the past and it’s pretty much eliminated any hopes for vacations or travel.

We had to put our oldest dog down a couple of weeks ago, and it’s been way more difficult than I anticipated. She was half beagle and stubborn as hell, but just one of the sweetest souls- and loved beer.

8af35710d46cdc42e9897e86c4656487.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss!  What a cutie!

My neighbor has 2 Italian Greyhounds.  They're yippy little guys but once they sniff you and get comfortable with you, they're super sweet.  She brings them over to play with my Dobie but he gets a little rough for them and they freak out a little bit which is actually really funny.

Really cute dogs though.  Lots of personality. 

So my ex wife was a huge animal lover.

At one point we had 12 cats and 3 dogs.   It got to the point I hated them all (but 1 dog).   Now, I have 2 dogs and I love them.   A well trained dog is great, but you have to know the breed, and get what you can handle.  If you get an uber smart dog, and you ignore it, it will get bored and chew crap up.   If you don't really like hair, don't get dog that sheds all day long.

Cats have way more personality then people realize.   They can be stand offish, or really loving.   My problem is if they get upset, they start urinating where ever, and they can ruin stuff really fast.   Furniture, clothes, carpet.   We had one that was great, we moved, it did not like the new house, and ruined a thousand dollar sofa and thousands in carpeting.   Another time, we added one which became the new "alpha" of the house.  The old "alfa" got upset and started urinating in my closet, specifically on my work clothes.  Also, if you have cats, forget about leather furniture, and if they aren't de clawed they will turn other things you like into a scratching post.   Consequently, I still like cats, but I have no desire to ever own one again.

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think that is the biggest mistake people make.   "I want a smart, fun dog!".   Well, smart, fun dogs require a lot of stimulation. 

If you aren't good at training dogs (I'm not) adopt a 2-3 year old dog that is some kind of mix.   Mutts have less health issues, are a bit easier, and hopefully are at least moderately trained already.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I think that is the biggest mistake people make.   "I want a smart, fun dog!".   Well, smart, fun dogs require a lot of stimulation. 

If you aren't good at training dogs (I'm not) adopt a 2-3 year old dog that is some kind of mix.   Mutts have less health issues, are a bit easier, and hopefully are at least moderately trained already.

Spot on.  I actually have my Dobie being board trained right now.  I was able to get a good foundation for him.  He was doing well but with my job and all the other stuff going on in life, I didnt have the time to be consistent and he was becoming very strong and very hard headed.  Plus, I'm traveling a lot this month so we were going to have to find a place for him for about 2 weeks out of April...so as much as I didnt want to give him away.  It just made sense.  It's not cheap but I think it will be worth it.  Especially for my gf.  She cant handle all the puppy craziness and it was stressing her out.  Being able to communicate with him better now and for the rest of his life, is worth the money and the sacrifice of giving him away for a month. 

42 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah I hear you. I think a lot of naive people just get a dog because it "looks cute" and don't pay any attention to the breed or its tendencies. Then they're overwhelmed and the dog ends up miserable or gets sent to the shelter.

I did a lot of research before I got my dog and weighed the pros and cons of different breeds against my lifestyle. I had a pretty good idea of what would be compatible with my family before I even started looking. I feel like a lot of people don't do that, which is a shame. 

I have never ever and will never ever "buy" a dog or cat as long as there are animal shelters with critters or strays that need a home.

Our dog is a mutt, looks mostly lab and is just a complete lover boy.

Got him from NS Animal league with all shots and associated costs picked up by Howard and Beth Stern who help support the  the shelter. They do a very thorough background check before releasing the animal to you.

Oh and about 6-7 cats. Some inside, some outside, some tame, some feral.

A couple of the feral ones are some really ornery interesting beasts. My dog and others are scared sh*t of them.

43 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I have never ever and will never ever "buy" a dog or cat as long as there are animal shelters with critters or strays that need a home.

Our dog is a mutt, looks mostly lab and is just a complete lover boy.

Got him from NS Animal league with all shots and associated costs picked up by Howard and Beth Stern who help support the  the shelter. They do a very thorough background check before releasing the animal to you.

Oh and about 6-7 cats. Some inside, some outside, some tame, some feral.

A couple of the feral ones are some really ornery interesting beasts. My dog and others are scared sh*t of them.

My god man, do you have neighbors?  

• 3 weeks later...
On April 17, 2018 at 3:48 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Cats are douchebags and cat people are insane. You are living with an animal that if it were just a little bigger it would 100% ******* murder you in your sleep. (Yes, even your cat, which is not "just like a dog")

Dogs save lives and stop crimes. Literally. Every day. They have a distinct kinship with human beings that goes further back than most of us can even comprehend. Cats are little t-rex's covered in fur, and the people that love them are the exact people who won't be surviving The Purge when it gets implemented.

Dogs already do that.

Infant Mauled To Death By Dog In Sherman Oaks 

The grandmother of a 3-month-old girl had left the room to get a bottle when the Sherman Oaks' family dog attacked Saturday.

By Paige Austin, Patch Staff  | Updated 

SHERMAN OAKS, CA — The loss of a three-month-old baby mauled to death by her family's dog in Sherman Oaks Saturday has left the community reeling. The girl was attacked when her grandmother left the room to get a bottle, according to police.

Gaia Nova died at a hospital shortly after the attack, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office reported. Because authorities don't know which of the family's three dogs — a Rottweiler, a Labrador Retriever and a terrier — killed the baby, all three pets were taken into animal control custody. 

At 3:25 p.m. Saturday, authorities were called to 14400 block of Benefit Street, said Officer Stacy Ball of the Los Angeles Police Department's Van Nuys Station. 

"This is a horrible case," Capt. Lillian Carranza of the LAPD's Van Nuys Station told the Los Angeles Times. "It has touched all involved family, friends and first responders. Our hearts go out to the family and friends. As I understand, next Sunday would have been the mother's first Mother's Day."

On 4/17/2018 at 6:57 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and argue that the Tibetan Mastiff makes it a little longer than Tanner the Persian Cat.

In the wild? Nah, cats are solo hunters, dogs pack. Plus a whole bunch of little varmints for cats to eat in places dogs can't get to. My money's on Tanner 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, CTM said:

In the wild? Nah, cats are solo hunters, dogs pack. Plus a whole bunch of little varmints for cats to eat in places dogs can't get to. My money's on Tanner 

Until the cat gets eaten by the dog that is. I would say a terrier dig like a jack Russell terrier would Fair well in the wild. They can chase a rodent into a right spot as good as anything.,

21 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Until the cat gets eaten by the dog that is. I would say a terrier dig like a jack Russell terrier would Fair well in the wild. They can chase a rodent into a right spot as good as anything.,

Everyone knows dogs dont eat pussy.

No automatic alt text available.  vic

Viscous attack beast...unless she gets bacon, then she's totally cool. Was not a big animal person growing up, but she's more than won me over. Nice starting every day with a hour walk with my pal here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On May 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM, The Crusher said:

Unless the terrier gets eaten by a horned owl or red tail hawk while chasing the cat which leaps, climbs, and squeezes into more safe places better than any of them.

Archived