Chronology of Jets draft rumors

maury77

4/16: "The Jets' decision-makers have made multiple visits to Oklahoma this year, and they spoke at length with Baker Mayfield at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. Mayfield also has already been introduced to Jets ownership." - Eric Galko, Optimum Scouting
Galko wrote this in his mock draft, tweeting that this selection was "in pen." I mentioned on our podcast last week that we heard the Jets would be taking Mayfield, provided Sam Darnold wasn't available, but Mayfield could still be the pick even if Darnold is available. -Walter

4/11: "I'm putting my money on Baker Mayfield to the Jets for some reasons I can get into after the draft." - Robert Klemko, MMQB
Klemko isn't the first to link Mayfield to the Jets - Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com was - but it's interesting that Klemko is so confident that it'll happen. Again, it seems as though the Jets may pass on Josh Rosen because of his off-the-field concerns. Mayfield is slotted to the Jets in our 2018 NFL Mock Draft. -Walter

4/9: There's "a lot of love" within the Jets organization for Baker Mayfield. - Ian Rapoport, NFL Network
Rapoport isn't the first to report this, as Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com published a story about the Jets selecting Mayfield third overall. Most mocks are projecting Josh Rosen to New York, but the Jets could be scared by his off-the-field concerns. -Walter

4/2: "There are a good number of league insiders who believe the New York Jets will use the third pick of the draft to select quarterback Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma." - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com
The stipulation Pauline provides is that Sam Darnold is off the board. Mayfield will be available with the third pick, so taking him would mean that the controversial Josh Rosen would slip out of the top four picks (assuming the Browns don't trade No. 4.) Mayfield isn't the prototypical quarterback general manager Mike Maccagnan has gone after, so you have to wonder if he's turned off by Rosen's off-the-field concerns. -Walter

3/20: "My understanding is, and who knows what's going to happen over the next five weeks, but I think the Jets are operating under the assumption that Sam Darnold will be the No. 1 pick." - Manish Mehta, New York Daily News
This could mean a couple of things. First of all, perhaps the Jets know the Browns love Sam Darnold, which would mean that moving up to No. 3 overall was a safer move - though I still question it because the Giants could trade out of No. 2, as I've mentioned in the NFL Trade Grades page. Second, Mehta might also know that the Jets don't like Darnold very much, which might make sense. Charlie Campbell has mentioned that Josh Allen fits the prototype of quarterbacks general manager Mike Maccagnan has pursued, so perhaps the Jets will swap selections with the Giants to ensure themselves of Allen, much like the Bears did last year with Mitchell Trubisky.  -Walter

1/28: "After speaking with top evaluators with the Jets, my gut feeling is telling me that Wyoming's Josh Allen is their favorite among the quarterback prospects." - Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com
The problem for the Jets is that Allen may not be available, especially following his terrific performance in the second half of the Senior Bowl. New York may have to move up a couple of spots for a quarterback. -Walter

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft#ixzz5Cw7VaMr1

Remember when the Jets were evaluating Hackenberg?

"FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.

“The word that comes to mind is intensity, just the level of intensity that they wanted to make sure it was kept extremely quiet and that nobody knew it was going to happen,” says Noel LaMontagne, Rosa’s business partner at Compass Sports Advisors."

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/06/themmqb-christian-hackenberg-new-york-jets-quarterback-private-workout-nfl-draft-2016

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I honestly think a lot of the Mayfield to the Jets hype is driven by the desire to see his personality in NYC. 

I also wonder if the Jets are not sending the Mayfield message so, if they can't get to 2, and Darnold & Rosen are both gone, the message is that Mayfield is the guy they wanted all along.  They can tell Baker, his agent, the fanbase, the media and anyone else that will listen that Baker was our guy, he was always our guy, we moved up to 3 to get him, mission accomplished.

Whoever we get, I just hope they get it right.

all of this is just rumors except for klemko who has spent a ton of time with mayfield while writing those mmqb pieces.  he really thinks mayfield is going to the jets and he more than others would be privy to inside info about what mayfield has been up to.  the others tweeting stuff is just for fun.

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

all of this is just rumors except for klemko who has spent a ton of time with mayfield while writing those mmqb pieces.  he really thinks mayfield is going to the jets and he more than others would be privy to inside info about what mayfield has been up to.  the others tweeting stuff is just for fun.

That could all be true, but how do we know the organization hasn't spent as much time with the other top QB prospects?

34 minutes ago, Lith said:

I also wonder if the Jets are not sending the Mayfield message so, if they can't get to 2, and Darnold & Rosen are both gone, the message is that Mayfield is the guy they wanted all along.  They can tell Baker, his agent, the fanbase, the media and anyone else that will listen that Baker was our guy, he was always our guy, we moved up to 3 to get him, mission accomplished.

I've been thinking the same thing.  Mayfield is probably the most likely out of Darnold, Rosen and himself to be there at 3. So making him feel like he's your #1 guy no matter what makes sense.

They would probably pick Darnold over Mayfield if they were both there, but I do believe that the Jets really like Baker.  As they should, and as do I.

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  It insulates them against any criticism of why they didn’t get to number 2 and miss out on the guy they “really wanted”. 

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

I honestly think a lot of the Mayfield to the Jets hype is driven by the desire to see his personality in NYC. 

Bingo. Boomer Easison said this weeks ago. He’s a big Josh Allen fan but hopes the Jets pick Mayfield because it would be great for his morning show. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I think there is a strong possibility this is the case. They're resigned to not getting Darnold but think Rosen could be in play at three -- but they want to set the table for Mayfield in case that doesn't work out.

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/04/nfl-draft-2018-new-york-jets-smokescreen-navigation/

NFL Draft 2018 – New York Jets Smokescreen Navigation

Joe Caporoso on navigating the smokescreens around the New York Jets intentions with the third overall pick

It has been exactly one month since the New York Jets traded three second round picks to move from #6 to #3 in the 2018 NFL Draft. As it stands today, the conventional wisdom appears to be the team will select Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third overall pick, yet this is a new development. Let’s track coverage of the Jets intentions over the past month and see what expectations should be when April 26th FINALLY rolls around.

Shortly after the Jets trade was made, the names most associated with them were Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. Here is Rich Cimini, the team’s longest tenured beat writer on the day of the move.

I believe the Jets’ top three are Sam DarnoldJosh Allen and Josh Rosen, in no particular order. That’s based on conversations with personnel people around the league. The early sense is that the Jets don’t rate Baker Mayfield in that upper-echelon category.

Matt Miller’s first mock draft after the trade had the Jets selecting Josh Allen. The first guesses post trade from Benjamin Allbright were either Allen or Rosen.

Guessing based on today

1. Darnold
2. Rosen/Nelson
3. Allen/Rosen
4. Trade back/Ward/Chubb
5. Baker/Nelson
6. Chubb/Nelson/Barkley

fb13895c517474c38efd6cbc741598ad_normal.

Prob right, read the agent also played them since he was McCown agent as well. Who do you think they go with at 3?

Nobody has covered Baker Mayfield more closely than Robert Klemko of MMQB throughout this draft process. Prior to the trade, this is how he ranked Mayfield’s most likely landing spots:

Baker Mayfield's likely landing spots becoming more clear post-combine.

My short list:

1. Dolphins
2. Broncos
3. Jets
4. Browns
5. Giants

In addition to private visit to Cleveland, Baker is now scheduled to see the Jets.

It is worth noting, he had Miami higher than the Jets despite them picking 5 spots behind them. Eric Galko’s first mock draft after the trade did have the Jets selecting Mayfield, while Bucky Brooks first post trade mock paired the Jets with Rosen.

I ran this poll 10 days after the trade on Jets fans preference for the pick, which had Rosen come out on top by 18 percentage points.

Who do you want the #Jets to take with the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft?

1,784 votesFinal results

Moving away from the speculation and to things that actually occurred, the Jets attended Rosen’s Pro Day on March 15th, one day after attending Mayfield’s Pro Day on March 14th, shortly before they pulled the trigger on the trade. They also attended Sam Darold’s Pro Day on March 21st and Allen’s Pro Day on March 24th. All of this is logical due diligence. Similarly, the Jets held private workouts for Rosen, Mayfield and Allen. They’ve had Rosen and Mayfield at Florham Park for visits already with ones upcoming for both Allen and Darnold.

Despite this consistency across the board with the top four quarterbacks, the Jets hosting Mayfield for a two day visit on April 9th, seemed to pivot the amount of speculation around their interest in him. The reason for this could because of Adam Schefter tweeting this (even though it is fair to assume Johnson also met with Rosen and will meet with Allen/Darnold):

Shortly after his visit wrapped, Klemko and Allbright tweeted this:

If I'm guessing today...

1. Browns - Still Darnold
2. Giants - Chubb
3. Jets - Mayfield
4. Trade up by Buff or AZ for QB
5. Broncos - Nelson

From there, Cimini’s latest pick has pivoted to Mayfield, Brooks has pivoted to Darnold, Miller has stayed with Allen, and Galko has stayed with Mayfield. The latest from Albert Breer has the Jets with Darnold, while King is leaning towards Mayfield.

Elsewhere around the Jets beat, Manish Mehta is going with Mayfield and elsewhere in national coverage, Dane Brugler has the Jets taking Rosen. This recent round up published by the Jets site has five different mocks with four different players being selected across them.

I ran a similar poll to the one linked above and the numbers have flipped, with Jets fans now preferring Mayfield by 19 percentage points:

10 days until the #NFLDraft - Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

3,158 votesFinal results

At a high level, it appears there was a slight surge of Mayfield to the Jets chatter after his visit to Florham Park (not uncommon after a player visit, as his management likely left with a positive impression) but there is still a high variance on who is being rumored to the Jets. Courtesy of Klemko’s confidence in Mayfield to the Jets, it appears at least his side feels the Jets won’t pass on him with that being corroborated by Allbright (whether that comes from the Jets or Mayfield’s side is unknown). Adam Schefter tweeting about Christopher Johnson and Mayfield likely has also had an impact on perception. Yet, it is worth noting the Jets haven’t done anything out of the ordinary in the pre-draft process that they have not done with the other top three quarterbacks, as it pertains to Mayfield.

Mayfield was always a strong possibility for the Jets at both number six and now at number three. It is hard to say he is an ironclad favorite, particularly with it still being so much up in the air who will go first and second overall. Jets fans may be being a bit naive by completely writing off the possibility of Josh Allen being the pick (unfortunately) and may be writing off Rosen or even Darnold too early.

The good news for the Jets is that it is hard to go wrong with three of their four options.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

i just don't see this as a CYO thing.  the jets went all in on a qb with the trade up, and initially, they didn't even schedule darnold or allen for workouts.  if you read into that, you can say the jets traded up for either mayfield or rosen.  but now they've brought in all 4, so who knows.

as for the klesko prediction, he has been with mayfield a lot, so he probably has seen what the jets have done more then the writers, etc.  he probably has inside scoop that he claims is the basis for his prediction, and it will be interesting to see if he reveals it after the draft.

One has to wonder if our GM stays true to the type of QBs he has liked in the past  (Tom Savage, Petty, Hackenburg) or if he has soured on that big guy big arm thing and decides to go somewhat in the opposite direction.

I really feel the Browns will take Darnold if they don't it will really upset the apple cart.  I know one thing if Darnold and rosen do not go 1 and 2 then our forum will crash once we make out pick.  The rosen, allen mayfiled fights  will go on for a long time if the guy we pick does not = franchise qb.

22 hours ago, maury77 said:

Moral of the story: take all of these Mayfield rumors flying around with a grain of salt. 

And that's why I say Josh Allen to the Jets is a lock lol. (with a nervous laughter)

But once one rumor starts, all others latch on to it. Or they say it'll either be this guy or this guy. Covering all grounds so they sound right in the end. I really don't think anyone has any idea what these top 3 teams will do. Rumors started with Josh Allen to #1 and now everyone is jumping on that.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

One has to wonder if our GM stays true to the type of QBs he has liked in the past  (Tom Savage, Petty, Hackenburg) or if he has soured on that big guy big arm thing and decides to go somewhat in the opposite direction.

I really feel the Browns will take Darnold if they don't it will really upset the apple cart.  I know one thing if Darnold and rosen do not go 1 and 2 then our forum will crash once we make out pick.  The rosen, allen mayfiled fights  will go on for a long time if the guy we pick does not = franchise qb.

You would THINK Hack showing terrible accuracy would scare him off to taking on another project like Allen, regardless if he's a better prospect. When you have 3 other much better options to go with. It's not as if it'll be between Allen and Rudolph or something. 

But who knows, i'll probably pass out from anxiety when we're on the clock and Allen is still on the board.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have posted about this before. This could set up as one of the most divisive draft picks amongst Jets fans in history.  I know that the Jets will get one of the top three quarterbacks and while I have a slight preference for Rosen, I do not have a hard stance. Will be happy with getting any one of them. That doesn’t seem to be the case for a lot of Jets fans. There seem to be some folks who are completely married to their favorite quarterback.  If the Jets have a choice and ultimately select one of either Rosen or Mayfield, leaving the other guy on the board, we are likely looking at atleast 3 to 5 years of “I told you so” posts. 

3 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I still believe that Mac traded up for Darnold or Rosen, hoping one of them dropped to him.  And I think Allen was, and still is, his consolation prize.  I don't believe for a minute that Mayfield was in his thoughts when he traded up.

The only interesting thing is that the trade up to number 3 took place on March 17, just two days after the Jets watched Mayfield in person.  I have to believe that Mayfield is in their top three, but I do not know if he is first or third. 

Cimini from today:

What about Josh Allen? He has the highest ceiling of any quarterback in the draft, and there's growing speculation that he could go No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns. The Jets have done a ton of homework on Allen, starting last fall when they scouted every one of his games. But ...

"One thing I have not heard is that the Jets have any interest in Josh Allen, that it would be [Sam] Darnold and one of those other two guys," McShay said.

What I'm hearing: The same. While the Jets love Allen's prodigious arm strength and athleticism, they have concerns about his accuracy -- only a 56 percent passer at Wyoming. I'd be surprised if they pick Allen at No. 3.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The only interesting thing is that the trade up to number 3 took place on March 17, just two days after the Jets watched Mayfield in person.  I have to believe that Mayfield is in their top three, but I do not know if he is first or third. 

It was also one day after Rosen's pro day.  and a couple of weeks after the combine where they witnessed Josh Allen... so who knows.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It was also a few days after Cousins signed. Ballard the Colts GM said the trade talks started to intensify Mon/Tue that week when no doubt the Jets had a good idea Cousins wasn't signing w/them 

On 4/17/2018 at 12:11 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty damn good post, Maury.  Per usual.

I personally hope it's Baker, but if history is any indicator, with all this smoke, it won't be. I'd be inclined to look to the player with the least amount of smoke thus far, and that's Rosen.

I lean this way too... but I also prefer Rosen to Mayfield. I would take mayfield if Rosen is already selected.

Archived