what player personifies the jets to you?

k-met57

thinking about Mangold calling it a career and watching his little retirement video talking about wanting to be a jet for life, got me thinking about the great Jets over the years. who is that one player that makes you want to be associated with this team and its history?

for me, this guy IS the jets for my generation. grind through ups and downs, but u couldn't get the guy to stop coming.

P.S. the first minute made me remember how much i hated Kottite.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaron Glenn.

Th Jets franchise, like Glenn, is a little smallish living in the shadow of their landlords.

Both capable of occasionally playing at a really high level. 

Glenn played on some very good teams, and some awful ones.

In typical Jets fashion, even some all-time great Jets live in infamy like Mo Lewis for breaking Bledsoe's ribs... Gastineau roughing Kosar...

and rookie Aaron Glenn for getting pantsed by Marino with the fake-spike.

Mark Sanchez.

Jets spend 40 years looking for a franchise quarterback and find one at the very moment they hire a head coach who thinks he can win a Super Bowl like the '85 Bears and treats his offense like a disease.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez.

Jets spend 40 years looking for a franchise quarterback and find one at the very moment they hire a head coach who thinks he can win a Super Bowl like the '85 Bears and treats his offense like a disease.

SAR I

Agreed.

Mark Sanchez.  Objectively terrible, but a small handful of people every year will make the case that he’s actually good.

Gastineau. He was enjoyable to watch when his antics weren't frustrating as Hell. Dominant at times. Colossally bone-headed at others. He was also tabloid fodder. And often a punch-line. But when he was on he was on and did it with style and swagger. However in the biggest play of his career, he sabotaged the team with a legendary blunder. Always had a love/hate relationship with the fans and media. Alternating between being adulated and vilified. And abruptly walked away when he still had gas in the tank and destined to be overlooked by the self-proclaimed historians of the game and HOF voters. Now reduced to a shell of his former shelf, his mind wracked by the physical and emotional toll of playing football for the NYJ.

If anyone embodies the Jets it's Gastineau or nobody for me.

I feel as if i'm young compared to most of the posters on this forum, but this guy right here. Even though my dad was a giants fan, curtis martin was the first jersey I ever asked for, and a big reason why i'm still the jet fan I am today...

10523497-large (1).jpeg

I was a late bloomer, one of the shortest kids in school. I had to work 10x harder to compete with some of the bigger guys. When I finally grew I never lost that mentality. For me Wayne Chrebet is my hero, broke down and cried when he retired. I know he had all the concussions and is suffering mental issues because of it but man I wanted him to play forever.

I think this is why I want Baker so badly.

19 hours ago, k-met57 said:

thinking about Mangold calling it a career and watching his little retirement video talking about wanting to be a jet for life, got me thinking about the great Jets over the years. who is that one player that makes you want to be associated with this team and its history?

for me, this guy IS the jets for my generation. grind through ups and downs, but u couldn't get the guy to stop coming.

P.S. the first minute made me remember how much i hated Kottite.

agree 100%. He is from my hometown, Garfield, is friends with my cousin, and in case you didn't know, played basketball at Garfield High and could dunk the ball. 

4 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I feel as if i'm young compared to most of the posters on this forum, but this guy right here. Even though my dad was a giants fan, curtis martin was the first jersey I ever asked for, and a big reason why i'm still the jet fan I am today...

10523497-large (1).jpeg

not a bad choice, class all the way.

Archived