Poll Darnold vs Mayfield

Jetsbb

Darnold vs Mayfield  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Baker Mayfield
    • Sam Darnold

35 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Of course he has problems, every one of these QB's does, but you have to acknowledge that he had a much worse supporting cast, and is 2 years younger than Mayfield

Look at this Mayfield video, and see how much time he has to throw:

Now look at Darnold:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Of course he has problems, every one of these QB's does, but you have to acknowledge that he had a much worse supporting cast, and is 2 years younger than Mayfield

Look at this Mayfield video, and see how much time he has to throw:

Now look at Darnold:

That’s crazy how much time Mayfield had.  He didnt even have any pressure on a bunch of those plays.  Plus his WRs were wide open on many plays as well.  I guess it doesn’t mean he can’t succeed under pressure, just that it can’t really be determined from that video.  Looks like he’s a good scrambler though and has a strong arm.  But, as Mike Tyson says IIRC, “everyone has a plan until they hit in the face”. 

59 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You didn’t answer my question 

Why the hell was Mayfield not even in consideration just 3 months ago when it looked like we had no shot at landing Darnold/Rosen...but now he’s the bell of the ball after we traded 3 2nd rounders to move into position to potentially land a Darnold/Rosen?

That doesn’t compute with me, especially since Mayfield is supposed to be this super accurate, super mobile, super strong armed QB who wakes up in the morning and pisses moxy. So why was all of this just recently discovered?

Everyone was talking about Luke Falk. Everyone was talking about Jarrett Stidham...but nary a mention of Baker Mayfield. Why? It’s not even like he was an underclassmen like Stidham, he was a senior who was always going to enter the draft.

It's pretty simple.  Because he's "small" and a former walkon.  Of course no one is going to pump him up early in the process because he lacks the "prototype" size to be the top guy.

Guys like him have to prove they can Ball.  Guys like Darnold just have to put together a string of good games and let snowball take it's course because it's familiar.  Hell, go back and look at "scouting world", both media and amateur on sites like this after Hackenburg's Freshman year at Penn State.  It happens all the time.  

Why was Carson Wentz never talked about as a potential Top 5 pick until like December of his Senior year?  

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

It's pretty simple.  Because he's "small" and a former walkon.  Of course no one is going to pump him up early in the process because he lacks the "prototype" size to be the top guy.

Guys like him have to prove they can Ball.  Guys like Darnold just have to put together a string of good games and let snowball take it's course because it's familiar.  Hell, go back and look at "scouting world", both media and amateur on sites like this after Hackenburg's Freshman year at Penn State.  It happens all the time.  

Why was Carson Wentz never talked about as a potential Top 5 pick until like December of his Senior year?  

the answer is, because he's shorter than preferred.

if all four of these qbs were the same height, mayfield would be drafted first.  he has the best tape and the 2nd best arm.  

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That’s crazy how much time Mayfield had.  He didnt even have any pressure on a bunch of those plays.  Plus his WRs were wide open on many plays as well.  I guess it doesn’t mean he can’t succeed under pressure, just that it can’t really be determined from that video.  Looks like he’s a good scrambler though and has a strong arm.  But, as Mike Tyson says IIRC, “everyone has a plan until they hit in the face”. 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Carson Wentz was playing ball at North Dakota State and had a limited amount of collegiate starts, meanwhile Baker Mayfield has been putting up eye popping numbers for the last 3 years at one of the largest football factories in the country in addition to taking home a Heisman trophy.

I don’t understand what people have suddenly seen from Mayfield over the last 10-12 weeks with no football being played to suddenly vault him up from being a 2nd/3rd round pick to being a potential Top 3 selection.

You read and participate in the draft forums on these Jets boards just as I do...and no one was mentioning this kid at all when it looked like we had fallen out of the Darnold/Rosen sweepstakes. Everyone was talking about guys like Luke Falk and Mason Rudolph in Round 2. They wouldn’t even give Mayfield serious consideration at #37...now they can’t wait to take him at #3?

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No, accuracy isn’t accuracy no matter how you slice it.

When Mayfield is playing behind arguably the best OL in college football and throwing mostly little smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS, of course he should have a higher completion percentage than a guy like Darnold who had 4/5 of his starting OL ravaged by injury and had to run for his life and play hero ball on nearly every snap.

And Mayfield’s arm isn’t stronger than Darnold’s. I knew that silly ass Ourlads report at the combine would have people taking that bullsh*t radar gun test and running with it as if it’s an accurate demonstration of arm talent.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No, accuracy isn’t accuracy no matter how you slice it.

When Mayfield is playing behind arguably the best OL in college football and throwing mostly little smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS, of course he should have a higher completion percentage than a guy like Darnold who had 4/5 of his starting OL ravaged by injury and had to run for his life and play hero ball on nearly every snap.

And Mayfield’s arm isn’t stronger than Darnold’s. I knew that silly ass Ourlads report at the combine would have people taking that bullsh*t radar gun test and running with it as if it’s an accurate demonstration of arm talent.

If he’s releasing the ball quick and throwing screens and slants..... Isn’t that similar to the WCO that we will be running? Honest question 

Have to go Darnold. Both he and Rosen are getting picked apart much like Mannings. (Not saying they will be a good). They did not live up to expectations their final years of college, no Heismans.

Darnold is only 20. Probably not done filling out. He needs to work on fumbles and foot work.

I have watched a lot of Mayfields games. Fantastic college player. I think he will not have the same ability to keep plays alive like he did in college because the speed is so much faster in the NFL.

Also, I am not sure why it is assumed by many that Mayfield can effectively play under center. That is a major concern for me.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, kthisguy said:

Have to go Darnold. Both he and Rosen are getting picked apart much like Mannings. (Not saying they will be a good). They did not live up to expectations their final years of college, no Heismans.

Darnold is only 20. Probably not done filling out. He needs to work on fumbles and foot work.

I have watched a lot of Mayfields games. Fantastic college player. I think he will not have the same ability to keep plays alive like he did in college because the speed is so much faster in the NFL.

Also, I am not sure why it is assumed by many that Mayfield can effectively play under center. That is a major concern for me.

Stop making sense.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Let me put it this way.... 

Mayfield has made the same kind of "wow" plays as Sam has, and he's done it with 1/2 the turnovers and dumb dumb plays. 

Just saying

Except he hasn't convinced more than a fanbase that sees moxie and a couple of scouts to put Mayfield into the top 3, 2 or the top spot.  But if someone likes Darnold they are told they're wrong for even considering Darnold.  And I like Mayfield, just not better than Darnold.  

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Everyone was talking about guys like Luke Falk and Mason Rudolph in Round 2. They wouldn’t even give Mayfield serious consideration at #37...now they can’t wait to take him at #3?

Seriously, are there people who wanted Luke Falk over Baker Mayfield? If so we need to do what we can to make sure they don't breed.

3 minutes ago, MehlFreeman said:

No offense, you seem like a very knowledgeable poster but you've flipped flopped baker/rosen several times lol. So who is your guy?

I love them both. I think Rosen is the best passer in the draft and I don’t really have a concern attitude wise. With that said, what has recently put me over the edge is the underdog spirit of Mayfield. The ability to lead his men and lift his team is tremendous. I’m on record for saying that they both are good prospects and I’d take either one. I’m leaning towards Mayfield’s side again late in the process though.

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except he hasn't convinced more than a fanbase that sees moxie and a couple of scouts to put Mayfield into the top 3, 2 or the top spot.  But if someone likes Darnold they are told they're wrong for even considering Darnold.  And I like Mayfield, just not better than Darnold.  

don't get me wrong, I'm a Darnold fan - I think he has NFL chops... What i'm saying is, you look at the body of work in 2018, and then the popular rankings of these QBs.. it doesn't always add up IMO. Certain things are glossed over and others are over emphasized. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

don't get me wrong, I'm a Darnold fan - I think he has NFL chops... What i'm saying is, you look at the body of work in 2018, and then the popular rankings of these QBs.. it doesn't always add up IMO. Certain things are glossed over and others are over emphasized. 

I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking Darnold is the better prospect, even the much better prospect. I do think it's weird to think someone who likes Mayfield better is "crazy." Darnold had a pretty rocky year and has plenty of warts/bust potential.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

10 years from now both Darnold, and Rosen will be 30 years old negotiating their 3rd contracts, Mayfield will be a answer to a trivia question which QB was drafted before Josh Rosen, and flamed out alla Todd Blackledge.

Kellen Clemens is still kicking around the league, so I guess it's sort of possible that Darnold will still be around when he's 30.

Didn't realize how many Jets fan think Baker is better for us than Darnold. I thought I was alone in that thinking. This poll shows there are tons of us. I think both will be fine in the NFL. But the match between Baker and the Jets works on so many levels including offensive scheme fit. 

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Didn't realize how many Jets fan think Baker is better for us than Darnold. I thought I was alone in that thinking. This poll shows there are tons of us. I think both will be fine in the NFL. But the match between Baker and the Jets works on so many levels including offensive scheme fit. 

I have to say that I'm shocked at these numbers.  But it's not like I'm some "QB whisperer" type guy either so what do I know.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I can see it.  We don't all have to agree.  Shlt, GMs, scouts etc don't all agree.  My main issue is getting ripped into for having you own idea of how these guys rank.  As if you like one over the other proves you're dumb.  

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

15 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Why? Just bec of his height?

No, because Darnold is taller, younger, mature beyond his years, played in a system which isn't all dinks and dunks, doesn't have a injury issues and has infinitely more potential than Mayfield.  If Darold is there, take him and don't look back.  Don't match Cleveland's brain fart with one of our own.  Truth be told, he's not gonna be there so stop dreaming.

10 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Kellen Clemens is still kicking around the league, so I guess it's sort of possible that Darnold will still be around when he's 30.

That in its self is amazing. I remember when we drafted him and Jaworski saying he was the best QB in that class. Guess not.

14 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

That in its self is amazing. I remember when we drafted him and Jaworski saying he was the best QB in that class. Guess not.

Jaworski wasn't as far off as people think. Clemens has outlasted every other QB from that class except Jay Cutler. 

From a Jets front office perspective the Jets spent days with Mayfield and Darnold was there at the final day at the 11th hour to talk briefly with the Jets. That should tell us something about what direction they are going in.

I do love the “USC quarterback” thing as a negative for Darnold. You do realize that USC has had like 3 different Head Coaches since Sanchez was there.

Bob Stoops has been at OU until a month or so prior to the the 2017 season. He had Heupel, White, Bomer (booted from team), Thompson, Bradford, Jones, Knight and Mayfield. That’s 3 Heisman winners and 1 runner up. Surprisingly, all have collected a NFL paycheck. (That does include practice squad). Should we summarily dismiss Mayfield because only Bradford became a marginal QB?

Archived