Poll Darnold vs Mayfield

Jetsbb

Darnold vs Mayfield  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Baker Mayfield
    • Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

I do love the “USC quarterback” thing as a negative for Darnold. You do realize that USC has had like 3 different Head Coaches since Sanchez was there.

Bob Stoops has been at OU until a month or so prior to the the 2017 season. He had Heupel, White, Bomer (booted from team), Thompson, Bradford, Jones, Knight and Mayfield. That’s 3 Heisman winners and 1 runner up. Surprisingly, all have collected a NFL paycheck. (That does include practice squad). Should we summarily dismiss Mayfield because only Bradford became a marginal QB?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Great post and point.  I think the difference is that we've seen a lot more USC QB's go high in the draft vs. Sooners.  Yeah, all the Sooners QB's suck too but they've only had, what, Bradford taken in the 1st round? And if I'm not mistaken, the only Sooners QB's to get drafted period, were Bradford, Landry and Huepel.  I dont think those other dudes were selected in the draft but maybe UDFA types, if they actually collected an NFL pay check, idk?

I think the bigger discussion is the conference.  The Big 12 has yet to produce a good QB in the NFL.  Whereas the Pac 10 has a few guys balling in the league right now with a much better overall resume historically.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was nothing more disappointing than thinking you were watching the best quarterback in college football and instead watching Sam Darnold. He looks the part and his arm is lively but USC’s spread controlled calls at the line of scrimmage, and even then he seemed more reliant on being a thrower rather than a quarterback. I understand the Darnold hype but when the season ended I felt like Mayfield and Rosen showed me more than Darnold. 

14 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Just say NO to USC quarterbacks...knowing the Jets history, do you really think the law of averages is in the Jets favor?  USC QB's historically suck.  

So do Alabama QB's. But the Jets found a good one some years ago

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So do Alabama QB's. But the Jets found a good one some years ago

Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Jow Willie, etc.  No Todd  Did you forget about those Bama Qb's?  What is it like 4 SB trophies among them?  Not too shabby...how many USC QB's have one?

23 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Jow Willie, etc.  No Todd  Did you forget about those Bama Qb's?  What is it like 4 SB trophies among them?  Not too shabby...how many USC QB's have one?

Been a very, very long time .   Last Bama QB taken in the first round was our very own Richard Todd.

Might as well go with Compton Junior College as a football powerhouse.  Has 3 HOF players

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Been a very, very long time .   Last Bama QB taken in the first round was our very own Richard Todd.

Might as well go with Compton Junior College as a football powerhouse.  Has 3 HOF players

Whoa!  I didn't bring up Bama QB's, you did.  Now you're bringing up Compton players to fit your argument.  I get it, you like Darnold and I don't.  Just different opinions and guess what...they don't count for what the Jets will do.  

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Whoa!  I didn't bring up Bama QB's, you did.  Now you're bringing up Compton players to fit your argument.  I get it, you like Darnold and I don't.  Just different opinions and guess what...they don't count for what the Jets will do.  

Actually I prefer Mayfield, but will be happy with any of the top 3 QB's.  Just think it's silly to say a good QB can't come out of a particular school because there hasn't been one from there yet.  HOF is loaded with schools that have one guy in

I think the bigger discussion is the conference.  The Big 12 has yet to produce a good QB in the NFL.  Whereas the Pac 10 has a few guys balling in the league right now with a much better overall resume historically.

I agree. There have been a ton of Big12 QBs (not just OU) that were all-world in college yet did nothing in the pros. I am not going to say with 100% guarantee that Mayfield won’t a good/great QB in the NFL I do think that the odds are stacked against him.

There is 1 Drew Brees. I don’t see the comps to Wilson far better athlete. Mayfield has to hope to follow the Brees model. Have the best footwork and mechanics in the league to become a good/great QB. He simply doesn’t have that now either did Brees when he entered the league. Is Mayfield capable of doing this?

I put long odds on it because I have never spoke to him or know much about other than what is “common knowledge”. I do know I have seen a bunch of great college QBs flame out in the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’d like to hear from darnold why and how he led the nation in turnovers last yr. instead of shrugging turnovers like “ ohh well” like another usc qb Who threw way more picks than tds for us. 

way more picks ? please explain who this guy is ?

50 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually I prefer Mayfield, but will be happy with any of the top 3 QB's.  Just think it's silly to say a good QB can't come out of a particular school because there hasn't been one from there yet.  HOF is loaded with schools that have one guy in

"Silly" or not, I consider USC a football factory for the pros and to not have one, not a single HOF starting QB in the NFL in 100 years of football just about is a joke.  Hey, Jets are taking Saquon Barkley anyway...j/k.

11 hours ago, MaxAF said:

From a Jets front office perspective the Jets spent days with Mayfield and Darnold was there at the final day at the 11th hour to talk briefly with the Jets. That should tell us something about what direction they are going in.

Yup.  Didn't take them too long to figure out that if Darnold is there, they take him.  As for Mayfield they had to think a lot harder if it's him, or Rosen.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, Jetsbb said:

This is the only question come draft night. If Darnold doesn't fall Jets are taking Mayfield if he does it looks like Jets would take Darnold. But what do you want? Mayfield was the more accurate and better player in college. Darnold was very turnover prone and sloppy yet evaluators seem to love him. 

Rosen is in play. Teams are pushing negatives to get him to drop because they want him. This happens every year, then the draft goes almost 100% as everyone thought it would in January before all the posturing and scheming got loud.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I grew up with this poster in my dads living room.

This has to be the most popular jets poster of all time.  My older brother had it in his bedroom.  I know at least 3 other people that have it too.

17 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yup.  Didn't take them too long to figure out that if Darnold is there, they take him.  As for Mayfield they had to think a lot harder if it's him, or Rosen.

That and it was reported that they Jets were at more than a few of Darnolds games at USC.  Already knew him

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Rosen is in play. Teams are pushing negatives to get him to drop because they want him. This happens every year, then the draft goes almost 100% as everyone thought it would in January before all the posturing and scheming got loud.

I tend to agree.  For the better part of 24 months the 2018 Draft has been considered the Darnold & Rosen draft.  It was discussed that way last summer going into the college football season.  It ended the same way.  Then three things happened...

1. People started knocking Rosen about his personality, questioning his love of football, hardheadedness with coaches and that his father was a doctor.  You haven't heard one peep about his ability to throw an out route, his arm strength, his accuracy, etc.

2. Baker Mayfield played deep into the CFB playoffs and garnered lots of attention, making the kind of late season push that Vince Young did when he beat USC for the National Championship.

3. Josh Allen started throwing the football out of stadiums during workouts and Pro Days while wearing shorts with no defenders around.

Take those three things, add a very intriguing group of teams/markets at the top of the Draft (Cleveland twice, New York....twice), sprinkle in the fact that in 2018 we're more connecting to media, scouts, Twitter, leaks, fake news, etc. than ever and Voila!  You have a sh!tstorm of speculation and information that's apparently moving players all over the draft board.

At the end of the day, as @Integrity28 said, NFL teams will likely do what they've anticipated they'd be doing for the past two years...making Darnold and Rosen the first two QBs off the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived