Poll Darnold vs Mayfield

Jetsbb

Darnold vs Mayfield  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

• Baker Mayfield
    • Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

At least 80% of this fanbase literally just wanted to tank a season and go 0-16 in order to secure Darnold...now they want the 6’0 kid from an air raid offense who no one was even talking about as a 1st round pick until 3 months ago.

You can’t make this sh*t up

I never wanted Darnold neither did a lot of other posters here. Just because Darnold was the hype early last year did not make him a shoe in by any stretch. IMHO he is WAY over-hyped

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll root for Mayfield if we end up with the guy but I'd much prefer Darnold, Rosen or Allen (in that order) over Mayfield.

And while I'll, of course, trust the scouts' opinion over my own opinion, I still feel like Kyle Lauletta is going to be the steal of this draft.

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

This Mayfield sh*t with some of you guys has gotten completely out of control. I won’t be pissed if we end up with him, but Jesus Christ...

Darnold by a mile 

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I don't think the difference between the four top QB's is that great one way or the other. We're all fighting over floors, ceilings, readiness, potential, 'it' factors and on and on. If you're looking short run for a guy with higher floor/lower ceiling -- Mayfield. If you're gambling on a potential elite pro -- Darnold. But in the end, there will literally be nothing to cry about no matter which of the four we pick. Darnold and Allen will require more development with high ceilings, Rosen and Mayfield are more NFL ready in their way but with lower ceiling -- both are already pretty developed. Crapshoot. We will have a real, legitimate, potential franchise QB no matter how you cut it. That's sweet.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

everything is a risk but when a player like Mayfield is better by a HUGE margin in every single category at some point you have to take notice. Accuracy is accuracy no matter how you slice it as are turnovers and Mayfield is way way better in both categories and its not even close. Mayfields arm strength is much better, his movement in the pocket is much better, throwing on the run much better, I can go on 

No, accuracy isn’t accuracy no matter how you slice it.

When Mayfield is playing behind arguably the best OL in college football and throwing mostly little smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS, of course he should have a higher completion percentage than a guy like Darnold who had 4/5 of his starting OL ravaged by injury and had to run for his life and play hero ball on nearly every snap.

And Mayfield’s arm isn’t stronger than Darnold’s. I knew that silly ass Ourlads report at the combine would have people taking that bullsh*t radar gun test and running with it as if it’s an accurate demonstration of arm talent.

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

At least 80% of this fanbase literally just wanted to tank a season and go 0-16 in order to secure Darnold...now they want the 6’0 kid from an air raid offense who no one was even talking about as a 1st round pick until 3 months ago.

Yeah but remember, you read it above, Darnold needs years to adjust from a pro offense whole Mayfield ciming from his offense will step right in and start.  Lol

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

When Mayfield is playing behind arguably the best OL in college football and throwing mostly little smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS, of course he should have a higher completion percentage than a guy like Darnold who had 4/5 of his starting OL ravaged by injury and had to run for his life and play hero ball on nearly every snap.

And Mayfield’s arm isn’t stronger than Darnold’s. I knew that silly ass Ourlads report at the combine would have people taking that bullsh*t radar gun test and running with it as if it’s an accurate demonstration of arm talent.

A "this" hat-trick.

34 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Currently it appears Baker Mayfield has the slight edge over sex with Margot Robbie.

Philip should be thrilled with the news.

I meant "sex with Margo" or "sex with Baker".  I still think it would be close.

I have made it no secret that I want Baker Mayfield to be a Jet but if Darnold is there I probably take him over Mayfield. Darnold is the only other QB I take in this draft over Mayfield. I fully expect he won't be there though. I could see a lot of crazy sh*t happening in the early part of this draft though. I could see the Browns taking Barkley #1 overall and the Vagiants trading down if that occurs or just simply taking Darnold. I do not expect Darnold to be there at 3. He either goes to the Browns, Giants, or whatever team can pay the Giants price at 2 if the Browns do not draft Darnold. I will tell you one thing: I have never wanted a draft to get here as much as I want this one too. This is the most highly speculated draft I have witnessed in quite a while. Its fun but I'm getting kinda sick of it.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Now you're just making sh*t up.... Mayfield constantly attacked downfield and Mayfields arm is much stronger than Darnolds as a matter of fact its one of the knocks in Darnolds game so you're not paying attention. 

Arm Talent argument ? Exactly how do you measure arm talent ? Accuracy and Power and Mayfield is much better in both not sure how else you measure arm strength. Do radar guns not count in this evaluation ? Arm strength is all about throwing the 15 and 20 yard Out Pattern and that's all about how fast the ball gets there.

Even playijg behind a good Offensive line Mayfield still extended plays better than everyone including Darnold and thats not close either. 

So tell me what about Darnold makes him better than Mayfield ? Thats hes 2 inches taller ? Is that what youre basing the argument on ?

Neither, they both have smelly feet. Darnold's throwing

motion sucks. Bakery accuracy is overrated, his stats were accumulated

in a conference where they play  HS defense, when he played against a team

that played major league defense, Georgia he was shown for what he is

1 minute ago, hmhertz said:

The georgia game vs a real defense where mayfield put up 48 points ? Is that the game you are speaking of ? The game where he had a 65 % completion percentage ? A game he didnt have to do too much because that great Georgia Defense was shredded for 250 yard rushing ?

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Now you're just making sh*t up.... Mayfield constantly attacked downfield and Mayfields arm is much stronger than Darnolds as a matter of fact its one of the knocks in Darnolds game so you're not paying attention. 

Arm Talent argument ? Exactly how do you measure arm talent ? Accuracy and Power and Mayfield is much better in both not sure how else you measure arm strength. Do radar guns not count in this evaluation ? Arm strength is all about throwing the 15 and 20 yard Out Pattern and that's all about how fast the ball gets there.

Even playijg behind a good Offensive line Mayfield still extended plays better than everyone including Darnold and thats not close either. 

So tell me what about Darnold makes him better than Mayfield ? Thats hes 2 inches taller ? Is that what youre basing the argument on ?

Constantly attacked downfield?

What the sh*t are you talking about?

Newsflash, air raid QB’s with a 70% completion percentage rarely attack downfield.

Oklahoma’s entire playbook is predicated around the running game and utilizing short, quick passes designed to get the receivers in space and create YAC opportunities.

You know who routinely attacked downfield in college? Josh Allen, the guy with the 56% completion percentage that seemingly no one wants anything to do with.

The only thing anyone can bitch about in regards to Darnold are the turnovers. The INT’s aren’t even worrisome, it’s the fumbles that he needs to clean up. Just teach him to keep his off hand on the ball and boom, easy fix.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The georgia game vs a real defense where mayfield put up 48 points ? Is that the game you are speaking of ? The game where he had a 65 % completion percentage ? A game he didnt have to do too much because that great Georgia Defense was shredded for 250 yard rushing ?

You mean the game where as soon as Oklahoma was forced to go off-script in the 2nd half, Mayfield suddenly looked very, very pedestrian?

That game?

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You've actually imagined a knock on Darnold, a weak arm?

2 inches taller?  

Did you watch games?

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You mean the game where as soon as Oklahoma was forced to go off-script in the 2nd half, Mayfield suddenly looked very, very pedestrian?

That game?

The same game he adjusted to the challenge and played his butt off in the 4th

that game?

22 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

23/35 287 2TD's 1 Int in a narrow 54 -  48 lose, terrible!

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

everything is a risk but when a player like Mayfield is better by a HUGE margin in every single category at some point you have to take notice. Accuracy is accuracy no matter how you slice it as are turnovers and Mayfield is way way better in both categories and its not even close. Mayfields arm strength is much better, his movement in the pocket is much better, throwing on the run much better, I can go on 

You didn't mention durability, and Mayfield does not impress me as a physical specimen.  I am concerned that he may not hold up physically, and then we can see what his game looks like. I understand that 6'0' is not a big deal, but with his shirt off, I am just not impressed by what I see.

Second, I see Mayfield as a scrambler and a guy who makes things happen on his feet.  While that is impressive on the surface, I prefer a pocket passer who can scramble if under pressure.  I see Darnold in that light more than I see Mayfield.  

Hey, I realize that I am going on my gut, but this whole thing to me is a crap shoot, and after you put all the metrics into the computer and spit out the results, you still have to evaluate if their game translates well on the NFL field of play.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The same game he adjusted to the challenge and played his butt off in the 4th

that game?

Adjusted to the challenge?

He threw what would’ve been a game ending INT in the end zone during OT if the guy would’ve kept a foot in bounds.

Mayfield looked like a totally different player in the 2nd half than he did in the 1st.

If people are fans of the guy, that’s fine. But suddenly trying to say that he’s better than Darnold is f*cking ludicrous.

Who the hell was talking about Mayfield as a potential Top 3 pick back in December, or a 1st round pick period? Even during the season when it became clear that the Jets were probably going to be out of position to grab Darnold/Rosen, I didn’t see any of you guys pump up Mayfield as some grand alternative. Hell, most were talking up Luke f*cking Falk at the top of the 2nd round.

So why was Mayfield not even being mentioned just 10-12 weeks ago...and now many around here consider him the best QB in this class?

What changed?

35 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I don't think the difference between the four top QB's is that great one way or the other. We're all fighting over floors, ceilings, readiness, potential, 'it' factors and on and on. If you're looking short run for a guy with higher floor/lower ceiling -- Mayfield. If you're gambling on a potential elite pro -- Darnold. But in the end, there will literally be nothing to cry about no matter which of the four we pick. Darnold and Allen will require more development with high ceilings, Rosen and Mayfield are more NFL ready in their way but with lower ceiling -- both are already pretty developed. Crapshoot. We will have a real, legitimate, potential franchise QB no matter how you cut it. That's sweet.

As a community, it's pretty easy to look at this situation and go "oh my god, why is Mayfield in the conversation with Darnold"... but if you forget (key work, forget) the hype train of Darnold going into the 2017 season -- he really didn't do a lot this year to warrant this "clearly Darnold" mentality. Don't get me wrong, I think Darnold's the real deal, but for every "It Factor" play Darnold made, Mayfield made 1 as well + and with the 3 INTs to set up said play... Add in that Darnold was outplayed by both Falk and Rosen...

I mean. cmon. It's not that crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He threw what would’ve been a game ending INT in the end zone during OT if the guy would’ve kept a foot in bounds.

Mayfield looked like a totally different player in the 2nd half than he did in the 1st.

If people are fans of the guy, that’s fine. But suddenly trying to say that he’s better than Darnold is f*cking ludicrous.

Who the hell was talking about Mayfield as a potential Top 3 pick back in December, or a 1st round pick period? Even during the season when it became clear that the Jets were probably going to be out of position to grab Darnold/Rosen, I didn’t see any of you guys pump up Mayfield as some grand alternative. Hell, most were talking up Luke f*cking Falk at the top of the 2nd round.

So why was Mayfield not even being mentioned just 10-12 weeks ago...and now many around here consider him the best QB in this class?

What changed?

Oh my god. you wanna pick apart that? Pick apart Darnold vs ND. 

I'll get a beer and come back. 

53 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

How is Mayfield in cold weather? His small hands worry me more than his height. In cold weather around playoff time that could be a detriment. To me, I would rather have Rosen but would go Darnold and then Mayfield. I do believe Mayfield can be a very good QB though, he just doesn't go through his progressions and anticipate routes as well as Rosen does. Also, he never played under center, which is the biggest issue he will have in the pros and what would probably keep him from seeing the field early on. 

Oh my god. you wanna pick apart that? Pick apart Darnold vs ND. 

I'll get a beer and come back. 

You didn’t answer my question 

Why the hell was Mayfield not even in consideration just 3 months ago when it looked like we had no shot at landing Darnold/Rosen...but now he’s the bell of the ball after we traded 3 2nd rounders to move into position to potentially land a Darnold/Rosen?

That doesn’t compute with me, especially since Mayfield is supposed to be this super accurate, super mobile, super strong armed QB who wakes up in the morning and pisses moxy. So why was all of this just recently discovered?

Everyone was talking about Luke Falk. Everyone was talking about Jarrett Stidham...but nary a mention of Baker Mayfield. Why? It’s not even like he was an underclassmen like Stidham, he was a senior who was always going to enter the draft.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What changed?

Let me put it this way.... 

Mayfield has made the same kind of "wow" plays as Sam has, and he's done it with 1/2 the turnovers and dumb dumb plays. 

Just saying

Let me put it this way.... 

Mayfield has made the same kind of "wow" plays as Sam has, and he's done it with 1/2 the turnovers and dumb dumb plays. 

Just saying

.... and with all day to throw in the pocket to open receivers

6 minutes ago, Grandy said:

.... and with all day to throw in the pocket to open receivers

Oh please. The Sam supporters need to own his problems. Just like the Allenites and the Rosen fans. 

It's not a false statement to say that Darnold didn't meet expectations in 2018. He didn't. The purists who still believe he is the "end all, be all" are the same ones who point to the IT FACTOR, which Mayfield has shown in spades, and Rosen arguably as well. 

The gap doesn't exist IMO. It's personal preference. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

To be fair, you could easily make an argument that lots of people who want Darnold are basically ignoring he wasn't very good at all this year, simply because they got on the train early and don't want to jump off.

Im not saying you in particular, but I think that's the case for some.

I know you think it's ridiculous, but I think there is a very real view that outside of height, and probably mobility, Mayfield has the edge in the rest of the "usual" check boxes.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh please. The Sam supporters need to own his problems.

Of course he has problems, every one of these QB's does, but you have to acknowledge that he had a much worse supporting cast, and is 2 years younger than Mayfield

Look at this Mayfield video, and see how much time he has to throw:

Now look at Darnold:

Archived