Tony Pauline: source says Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Jetsbb

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-18

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

I believe I've highlighted the appropriate words from this . 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I believe (see what I did there) this is all from Bakers agents for 2 reasons, 1.  They are trying to get the Browns to select him 1st overall, and if they don’t he won’t be there at 4 for them to pick if they think they can get cute.  2.  IF Baker Mayfield does not get drafted by the Jets like Big Ben in 04 he will fall to #11 at the earliest, and they don’t want that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

If Baker Mayfield does end up going to the Jets, this talk about the Jets running a  leakproof ship under MacCagnan, is nonsense. Two years ago, Hackenberg predraft rumors now Mayfield, a "done deal" rumors.

However one feels about the Mayfield pick, I'd feel better about the direction of the franchise if scouts and media guesses were all over the place. Too much smoke here.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

If Baker Mayfield does end up going to the Jets, this talk about the Jets running a  leakproof ship under MacCagnan, is nonsense. Two years ago, Hackenberg predraft rumors now Mayfield, a "done deal" rumors.

However one feels about the Mayfield pick, I'd feel better about the direction of the franchise if scouts and media guesses were all over the place. Too much smoke here.

Can't always keep your sh*t on lock bro. If in 3 years, this is the first time word got out, then that's a pretty strong streak.

You can't hide the love when you have to do the things teams do to vet a QB at the top of round 1. That's a transparent process. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Can't always keep your sh*t on lock bro. If in 3 years, this is the first time word got out, then that's a pretty strong streak.

You can't hide the love when you have to do the things teams do to vet a QB at the top of round 1. That's a transparent process. 

Uhhhh... they telegraphed the Hack pick.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's two years since we drafted Hackenberg. Last year before the draft Jamal Adams was telling everyone how much Bowles loved him but had told him that he will not fall as far as six for the Jets to draft him. Once Adams fell, it was too damn clear what was going to happen.

The Jets front office wear their collective crush like a  schoolgirl...pretty ga'damn obvious.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

It depends the situation under which we draft Mayfield.

I still believe Mayfield is being talked up as a fallback option in the even that Rosen doesn't make it to 3.

If the Jets end up picking Mayfield with Rosen still on the board, then I will wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

This is the part that basically makes this all BS - I have a VERY hard believing and frankly it would be gross neglegence if the Jets didn't have their top three - in order - settled with a week to go.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Even though we have no idea what will happen until the card is handed in, I think Mayfield is the pick at #3 depending on if Darnold slips.

even the people here figured out it's between mayfield and rosen, and that rosen has enough concerns to take mayfield over him.  it's not like allen fits the offense the jets will run, and most assume darnold will be gone.  

24 minutes ago, King P said:

I still believe Mayfield is being talked up as a fallback option in the even that Rosen doesn't make it to 3.

If the Jets end up picking Mayfield with Rosen still on the board, then I will wholeheartedly agree with you.

Agree with this. 

I think the reason for the Baker hype is 1) try to trick teams into not trading ahead of us for Rosen and 2) set expectations in the event that Darnold and Rosen are gone and Mayfield is our best remaining choice. I do think they like him. But I think if Darnold or Rosen are there they'll pull the trigger.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

not sure i have ever seen less commitment to your own reporting.

translation

someone said that Mayfield to the jets two weeks ago

but could be Rosen

but probably Mayfield

but one guy said its a done deal

but nothing is for sure

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, King P said:

This theory makes the most sense.