Tony Pauline: source says Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Jetsbb

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This theory makes the most sense.

Lol that theory makes sense only if you are hoping they pick Rosen. Everything points to Mayfield. If Darnold is gone I would be shocked if they dont take Mayfield. I do think they might take Darnold if he falls, Rosen only if both are gone. I also believe that Bowles is likely not super on board with QB in general and still campaigningfor Barkley or Chubb or a random safety

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol that theory makes sense only if you are hoping they pick Rosen. Everything points to Mayfield. If Darnold is gone I would be shocked if they dont take Mayfield. I do think they might take Darnold if he falls, Rosen only if both are gone. I also believe that Bowles is likely not super on board with QB in general and still campaigningfor Barkley or Chubb or a random safety

And saying everything points to Mayfield sounds like you're hoping he's the pick

50 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

not sure i have ever seen less commitment to your own reporting.

translation

someone said that Mayfield to the jets two weeks ago

but could be Rosen

but probably Mayfield

but one guy said its a done deal

but nothing is for sure

They like to couch it so if it turns out wrong you can't blame them.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am not hoping anything... except that the Jets are not so transparent that the whole world knows the player they are targeting at #3.

Because that would be... well...  a complete and utter failure as an organization.   Surprise, surprise.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

even the people here figured out it's between mayfield and rosen, and that rosen has enough concerns to take mayfield over him.  it's not like allen fits the offense the jets will run, and most assume darnold will be gone.  

The Jets changed offenses 4 times in 4 years what makes you think they're now locked into a particular offense.

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

If Baker Mayfield does end up going to the Jets, this talk about the Jets running a  leakproof ship under MacCagnan, is nonsense. Two years ago, Hackenberg predraft rumors now Mayfield, a "done deal" rumors.

However one feels about the Mayfield pick, I'd feel better about the direction of the franchise if scouts and media guesses were all over the place. Too much smoke here.

I’ll ask again. Did anyone have them taking Lee? Anyone?  How about Maye? 

Hack speculation, from Cimini I believe, only came out a few days before the draft  

And as someone pointed out. At this point it appears to be down to Mayfield or Rosen. Mayfield gathers more excitement, clicks. He’s the underdog, 6’, Heisman winner. Rosen scares the sh*t out of all these guys because he’s so much smarter than they are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-18

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Kind of wish all the rumors were pointing at Allen as he is the one I really don't want. Way to many rumors of us wanting Mayfield for it to be true

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Information gets out pretty easily.  The Jets have been hot for Baker for a while now.  FYI, they like Darnold, too.  But no shot he'll be there.

I think it goes:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Mayfield

4. Chubb

5. Barkley

• Sympathy 1

I would laugh my butt off if the Jets chose Barkley or Chubb after Jet fans spent all winter bickering about QBs . The key is to get a difference maker on either side of the ball and if Chubb took the place of Ealy, I wonder if that would be considered an upgrade.

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I would laugh my butt off if the Jets chose Barkley or Chubb after Jet fans spent all winter bickering about QBs . The key is to get a difference maker on either side of the ball and if Chubb took the place of Ealy, I wonder if that would be considered an upgrade.

LOL

Your the only one in Jets Land that would be laughing.  

That would be foolish for Bowles. The only way for him to stick around for another couple of years (or maybe more) is if they draft a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i prefer rosen/darnold, but if hes the pick so be it. ill be happy. the only thing which will make me want to throw a brick at the tv is allen.

For your sake, I hope you have the same accuracy as Allen. I wouldn't want you to have to buy a new tv.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

Nothing about the supposed insider information right now should be trusted. Could be coming from agents, could be a smoke screen, could be real, could be just made up.

If you're going to take a guess and make it all up then Baker is a pretty good guess. You know Darnold, Rosen and Baker are the three likely top picks. Darnold is expected to go first which means 50/50 shot a prediction of Baker is right. Given Macc and Bowles have tried to clean up controversy in the locker room there is at least a small reason why, all other things being equal, Macc might not want Baker. So without even knowing anything about the comparisons on the field or what the team did through the offseason you can guess Baker with more than a 50% probability. 

Anybody staking this position has nothing to lose because then the story will be how the Jets tricked everybody and whether it was the right move. No consequences to anybody guessing either way. It's why all this draft prediction nonsense has no value. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gangrene said:

It's two years since we drafted Hackenberg. Last year before the draft Jamal Adams was telling everyone how much Bowles loved him but had told him that he will not fall as far as six for the Jets to draft him. Once Adams fell, it was too damn clear what was going to happen.

The Jets front office wear their collective crush like a  schoolgirl...pretty ga'damn obvious.

The rumors started right after Mayfield 's visit to the jets complex.   I do believe he likely got a pseudo guarantee or some extra love from Bowles, then shared it with his favorite media pals.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you look at Tony Pauline's track record you'd see the he doesn't just make crap up. Of course, when you pick 3 you can never be sure how things will unfold. 

I remember him announcing with absolute certainty a few years ago that USC WR Damian Williams would be no worse than a top-12 pick.....I think he went late 2nd round in the end

I was listening to fan yesterday afternoon. Penn state WR daesean Hamilton was on. Said he played senior bowl with Allen and mayfield. Said Allen was throwing heaters in practice but all WRs wanted to tell him to cool it ha. He said mayfield is best player he has ever played with. He said something morons don’t pick up on in combine, stats. Said during practicing with mayfield his “anticipation”  is amazing. “ it’s like he just has a strong feel for where you are going to be and puts it there.” We know morons can’t measure that but that is probably why he completes so much and Allen barely hits half 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1