Tony Pauline: source says Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Jetsbb

can someone tell me what this means?

“One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

is this like the person that cleans the hotel rooms where the rookies usually stay? a scout? an agent? 

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can someone tell me what this means?

“One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

is this like the person that cleans the hotel rooms where the rookies usually stay? a scout? an agent? 

That reads like an agent to me.

One of the things that confuses me about the confidence the Jets are drafting Mayfield is the signing of two veterans. I think of all the rookie QB's, he's the one you'd expect to step in and earn play time right away. So if he's your guy, why blow money on two veteran QB's? Especially if you're supremely confident he'll be there at 3.

Of course, the apparent lack of a plan doesn't eliminate it from being something the Jets will do. But that combined with how prevalent the chatter is makes me think that it's going to be another direction. I lean Rosen - reel him in a little and get him some time to learn before he's cut loose. Who knows though.

Also, I think Mike Maccagnan likes trying to be smarter than everyone else. Big emphasis on exploiting value. Hackenberg was a potential #1 pick until he was terrible - if we fix him we get a franchise QB cheap and I'm a genius. Both times at #6 taking the consensus best player in the draft - great value. He does it in FA too - Bridgewater, Claiborne, Pryor, ASJ, etc.

I think that means Darnold's the play at #3 if he's there. Presumptive #1 pick heading into the season, most still feel he's the top QB. Little rough around the edges so the vets make sense. That's the one where everything they've done historically and this offseason comes together. Doubt they anticipated he's there though. I still buy the early Allen love too.

The dark horse to me is Lamar Jackson. I think several years ago Jackson would have been in play at #1 overall. There's a lot of quiet love for him in the scouting community - people think he's a much better passer than he gets credit for. A mobile QB in Watson had a ton of early success last year. Jets did bring in a former Louisville QB in Bridgewater. Jackson would fit the mold of someone they'd want to sit. Trading up for him would be really unconventional, and I doubt that it's him, but I think he fits a little too.

The Dark Horse to me is the Giants.  I keep thinking the George Young and Ernie Accorsi, but I think there is greed, hubris and thin skins there that rival the Jets, Browns, Bills and Colts.  

I guess the good news is that the Patriot organization may be showing some cracks.  

The Giants have a VERY fundamental choice to make regarding the direction of their franchise.  

As you can see based on what the Jets paid to trade up to 3, and what others have paid for similar trades (i.e. more than the Trade Value Chart), a potential starting QB is the highest value use of a high draft pick.  Yes, Fournette and Elliott got picked high, but after the QBs and pass rushers.  

The Giants are leaving value on the table taking Barkley or Chubb that high if someone will give them more than Trade Value for their pick.  They can take a RB in the second round.  

But on the flip side, the Browns could make this very interesting.  If they like the Jets have 3 QBs they like and Tyrod Taylor, why not take Barkley first?

• 1 year later...