Tony Pauline: source says Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Jetsbb

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Sure....just wait right there Baker.  The Jets are gonna take you at #3 and they're so sure it's gonna happen that they're letting everyone know.

I mean, what could possibly happen?

S007anA.gif

"The Giants have traded their pick.  Buffalo is on the clock."

They picking Allen or Rosen ? Lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

I’ll ask again. Did anyone have them taking Lee? Anyone?  How about Maye? 

Hack speculation, from Cimini I believe, only came out a few days before the draft  

And as someone pointed out. At this point it appears to be down to Mayfield or Rosen. Mayfield gathers more excitement, clicks. He’s the underdog, 6’, Heisman winner. Rosen scares the sh*t out of all these guys because he’s so much smarter than they are. 

Lee was taken 20, Maye in the second round.  When the Jets are targeting tiny linebackers at 20 or safties in the second round, no one gives a damn, it's not compelling draft talk.

It's leak worthy when we have the most prominent qb class in years with the Jets trading up to three. Leaks are more prevalent at the top of the draft when the possibilities are narrower. Hackenberg as a QB in the second round was a source of interest since the media and fans are more intereseted in quarterbacks along with the fact that Hackenberg could not hit the ocean...so to speak. Was considered "undraftable" by some and yet the Jets were "enamored with him".

The Hackenberg drafting was fascinating in the same way as watching a car crash in slow motion.

No one knows what Dorsey is doing, Allen...Darnold ? With a leak on a Browns board saying the coaching staff want Rosen and the front office want Mayfield. 

Gettleman ? No one knows, Barkley... a qb... a pass rusher? 

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Nothing about the supposed insider information right now should be trusted. Could be coming from agents, could be a smoke screen, could be real, could be just made up.

If you're going to take a guess and make it all up then Baker is a pretty good guess. You know Darnold, Rosen and Baker are the three likely top picks. Darnold is expected to go first which means 50/50 shot a prediction of Baker is right. Given Macc and Bowles have tried to clean up controversy in the locker room there is at least a small reason why, all other things being equal, Macc might not want Baker. So without even knowing anything about the comparisons on the field or what the team did through the offseason you can guess Baker with more than a 50% probability. 

Anybody staking this position has nothing to lose because then the story will be how the Jets tricked everybody and whether it was the right move. No consequences to anybody guessing either way. It's why all this draft prediction nonsense has no value. 

This, the Jets traded the value of almost an entire draft for #3 - basically saying they are taking a QB, and there are 4 QB's ranked at the top of the draft (odds basically start at 1 in 4) - both teams ahead of the Jets in the draft could pick a QB so fair to say at least 1 QB will selected before #3 (odds at 1 in 3) and possibly 2 (50/50 chance) - draft analyst guys have an easy job

15 hours ago, JiF said:

Image result for baker mayfield gif

37 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Even though I like Rosen better, the whole Tennis thing throws me for a loop. I mean, Tennis is so gay, I can’t imagine a tennis player being a great nfl player. Can anyone see Baker playing Tennis? I think not!!

Seriously playing Tennis is “gay”?  WTF would you call whatever it is Gayfield is doing in that GIF?

Even though it is the Jets, this all seems almost too obvious to be true. I’ve been back and forth.

But, I will say the big tipping point for me was how Todd Bowles spoke specifically about Mayfield. He talked about the other prospects too, but he was defending Mayfield and talking him up like he does about his own guys. It was obviously a different tone and was way more into speaking about him.

Start unsewing and ripping “Sanchez” off your old #6 jerseys.

Manhattan Mayfield is coming to town. I won’t bastardize Namath’s nickname with that Broadway Baker stuff.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Even though it is the Jets, this all seems almost too obvious to be true. I’ve been back and forth.

But, I will say the big tipping point for me was how Todd Bowles spoke specifically about Mayfield. He talked about the other prospects too, but he was defending Mayfield and talking him up like he does about his own guys. It was obviously a different tone and was way more into speaking about him.

Start unsewing and ripping “Sanchez” off your old #6 jerseys.

Manhattan Mayfield is coming to town. I won’t bastardize Namath’s nickname with that Broadway Baker stuff.

So great the Jets are allowing Bowles to make yet another draft decision WTF is the point in having Macc?

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, good. He’s a fun dude, the math guys all like him, all of his teammates talk about him like he’s a god, and most of all he’ll come here and force a moribund organization to get off its ass. I’d prefer Rosen, but I don’t think Rosen is cut out to deal with the buffoonery he’d be subjected to as a Jet. Mayfield will eat that buffoonery up.

They will both be amazing and fun to watch if they come here and win.

Rosen would be like watching Apollo Creed die in the ring if he came here and failed. Mayfield would be like watching Rocky chase that chicken for Micky before he caught it , if he came here and loss. 

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Seriously playing Tennis is “gay”?  WTF would you call whatever it is Gayfield is doing in that GIF?

My question is if they really do draft Mayfield are going going to follow through on your statement of going to dump the Jets and move to the Chiefs board and follow your crush Mahomes?  Also, if you do go is there room to take Phil with you?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joejet said:

My question is if they really do draft Mayfield are going going to follow through on your statement of going to dump the Jets and move to the Chiefs board and follow your crush Mahomes?  Also, if you do go is there room to take Phil with you?

I will follow through, and if your speaking about philc I’ve had him on ignore since day 1 so no sorry.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Joejet said:

This honestly blows my mind if we draft Baker. If your drafting an air raid qb, why the hell didn't we just draft Mahomes last year? His talent is on a completely different level then Mayfield's is. Crazy to think that we'll be drafting an air raid qb who has less talent then Mahomes and worse stats then Mahomes despite playing in a better offense then Mahomes did. But Mahomes never grabbed his balls and plant a flag, so I guess Mayfield will be better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I was a wrestler, and in retrospect, it was gay as hell. I could be wrong, but I think Baker is just pointing out the gayness of wrestling. Tennis players its well known and doesn't need to be pointed out.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-18

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Please tell me how this is a done deal, this is not free agency. There are no guarantees. A source who has dealt with QB's says it's a done deal, ya and I told my wife I got crabs from the toilet seat. 

32 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I will follow through, and if your speaking about philc I’ve had him on ignore since day 1 so no sorry.

I am not surprised you used the ignore button. Someone called you a weak little woman for being so anti-mayfield but I stuck up for you. Said you are not weak ?

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

So great the Jets are allowing Bowles to make yet another draft decision WTF is the point in having Macc?

I’m not sure what happened, if Mac came around to Mayfield during private work outs and whiteboard work, or if Bowles has the say (which I seriously doubt given the Hack pick).

Either way I’d still be very surprised if we take Mayfield over Rosen.

An example of "reporting" in 2018

Here is what Tony wrote via draftanalyst.com:

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Here is a headline on the msn.com front page which is "reported via sportsnaut.com

Report: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'

The Baker Mayfield to New York Jets rumors are heating up to a boiling point, as every day that passes ahead of the 2018 NFL Draft brings more news on this front.

On Wednesday, just over one week before the prospects start flying off the board, NFL insider Tony Pauline shared this: “One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

It’s previously been reported that Mayfield is New York’s preferred quarterback, even over the likes of Josh Allen (who’s gotten a ton of buzz as the potential top pick) and Josh Rosen.

Perhaps the only way Mayfield doesn’t land on Gang Green’s roster this year is if Sam Darnold ends up falling and is there at No. 3.

There’s a lot we don’t know. However, we do know the Jets are taking a quarterback. That’s absolutely going to happen. Otherwise, there’s no way the team would have given up a treasure trove just to move up three spots from No. 6 to No. 3 in a trade with the Indianapolis Colts.

Round 1 of the draft can’t get here soon enough. Then we can finally put lying season to bed for good and let the teams reveal their secrets.

14 hours ago, Gangrene said:

If Baker Mayfield does end up going to the Jets, this talk about the Jets running a  leakproof ship under MacCagnan, is nonsense. Two years ago, Hackenberg predraft rumors now Mayfield, a "done deal" rumors.

However one feels about the Mayfield pick, I'd feel better about the direction of the franchise if scouts and media guesses were all over the place. Too much smoke here.

Macagnan is only worse at playing poker than he is at evaluating qbs

Fitz, Petty, Hack, Bridgewater and now the Hobbit

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

An example of "reporting" in 2018

Here is what Tony wrote via draftanalyst.com:

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets.  One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”

Here is a headline on the msn.com front page which is "reported via sportsnaut.com

Report: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'

The Baker Mayfield to New York Jets rumors are heating up to a boiling point, as every day that passes ahead of the 2018 NFL Draft brings more news on this front.

On Wednesday, just over one week before the prospects start flying off the board, NFL insider Tony Pauline shared this: “One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

It’s previously been reported that Mayfield is New York’s preferred quarterback, even over the likes of Josh Allen (who’s gotten a ton of buzz as the potential top pick) and Josh Rosen.

Perhaps the only way Mayfield doesn’t land on Gang Green’s roster this year is if Sam Darnold ends up falling and is there at No. 3.

There’s a lot we don’t know. However, we do know the Jets are taking a quarterback. That’s absolutely going to happen. Otherwise, there’s no way the team would have given up a treasure trove just to move up three spots from No. 6 to No. 3 in a trade with the Indianapolis Colts.

Round 1 of the draft can’t get here soon enough. Then we can finally put lying season to bed for good and let the teams reveal their secrets.

I’d love for Pauline to be wrong which he usually is but Macagnan has the the temperament of a schoolgirl he’s been laser locked on Shorty Mayfield since last year.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RSJ said:

At this point if the pick is Mayfield everyone should be fired for leaking it this far in advance of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A lot of this is speculation. And there's no confirmation that the sources are from the Jets.

It's been speculated for weeks now that the Giants are drafting Barkley. If they draft Brakley, does that mean someone in NYG leaked it? These guys are making educated guesses. And Baker to the Jets is an educated guess.

We know the Jets are drafting a QB. We also know the Browns are drafting a QB. The Jets have shown the most interest to Darnold, Baker, and Rosen. So, if you assume Darnold goes one, these guys have a 50/50 shot at being right. We also know that Bowles doesn't have an issue with Baker's on the field antics. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’d love for Pauline to be wrong which he usually is but Macagnan has the the temperament of a schoolgirl he’s been laser locked on Shorty Mayfield since last year.  

And the thing is Tony and most the others that have been saying they "hear" the Jets want Mayfied (which is the headline) will write within the story that Rosen could still be their pick...So again it's Mayfield to Jets as the headline, the story itself says Rosen could be the choice

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

A lot of this is speculation. And there's no confirmation that the sources are from the Jets.

It's been speculated for weeks now that the Giants are drafting Barkley. If they draft Brakley, does that mean someone in NYG leaked it? These guys are making educated guesses. And Baker to the Jets is an educated guess.

We know the Jets are drafting a QB. We also know the Browns are drafting a QB. The Jets have shown the most interest to Darnold, Baker, and Rosen. So, if you assume Darnold goes one, these guys have a 50/50 shot at being right. We also know that Bowles doesn't have an issue with Baker's on the field antics. 

Good point. Was Bowles specifically asked about Rosen at the owners meetings?

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

And the thing is Tony and most the others that have been saying they "hear" the Jets want Mayfied (which is the headline) will write within the story that Rosen could still be their pick...So again it's Mayfield to Jets as the headline, the story itself says Rosen could be the choice

I think Rosen over the Hobbit is as big a no brainer as it gets Rosen’s game actually translates to the nfl Mayfield’s does not but this is the dumbest regime since Rich Kotite

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Woody told him after he found out about Rosen’s hat he’s a no go

oh really.  Link?

So the cost/time of going out for a private workout, flying him in to FP, meeting w/him is all just part of the smokescreen?

23 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Good point. Was Bowles specifically asked about Rosen at the owners meetings?

I don't recall him being asked about Rosen. The only press conference I recall Bowles and Macc having are the ones at the combine. And during that interview is when he was asked about Baker. He brushed it off and said he is a college student and doesn't have a problem with it. Doesn't mean he likes Baker's game. But if you are going to guess, giving all the pieces, Baker is not a wild guess. 

Plus all these guys are also hedging their bet by saying Rosen could be the pick as well AND saying things could change if Darnold is there. Essentially giving themselves close to 100% chance of going back and saying their story was legitimate. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

I don't recall him being asked about Rosen. The only press conference I recall Bowles and Macc having are the ones at the combine. And during that interview is when he was asked about Baker. He brushed it off and said he is a college student and doesn't have a problem with it. Doesn't mean he likes Baker's game. But if you are going to guess, giving all the pieces, Baker is not a wild guess. 

Plus all these guys are also hedging their bet by saying Rosen could be the pick as well AND saying things could change if Darnold is there. Essentially giving themselves close to 100% chance of going back and saying their story was legitimate. 

I think that was at the owners meeting a few weeks ago...Coaches had to be made available to the press for 1 hour.

And you are so right regarding hedging their bets..