Jets 5th worst to agents

FloridaJetsFan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

IMG_2928.JPG

According to a USA Today poll of 25 agents, MAC is the 5th worst GM when it comes to negotiations. Maybe that’s why we missed on Cousins?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No! and thankfully they did. Technically Mcc isn't negotiating. Jackie Davidson is..

And this isn't new...If you notice most of the contracts under Mcc's regime have an out after one or two yrs with little cap consequences. So in essence the agent will have to get his client a new contract again in one or two yrs..i.e. Cro, Mo, Revis, etc..

Posted Aug 1, 2015

The New York Jets have promoted Jacqueline Davidson to director of football administration.

Davidson, in her ninth season with the Jets and in the NFL, serves as the team’s lead negotiator of player contracts and manages the team’s salary cap and player budget. Additionally, she forecasts trends for the NFL salary cap and player costs and ensures club compliance with the NFL collective bargaining agreement and league player personnel rules.

"Jackie has served as an integral part of our football administration efforts under Rod Graves this offseason," general manager Mike Maccagnan said. "She's bright and talented and she has earned this opportunity."

Davidson first worked with the NFL in 2004, when she was a legal intern with the NFL Management Council. Prior to joining the Jets, she worked as staff attorney for the U.S. District Court in Alabama and has also been a judicial law clerk for Judge Virginia Emerson Hopkins of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.

Davidson earned her juris doctorate from Cornell in 2005 and her bachelor of arts in economics from Davidson College in 2002. She is a member of the New York State Bar.

12 minutes ago, freestater said:

The agents' agenda is diametrically opposed to the agenda of an NFL gm

This is pretty much it. Not prepared could also be translated as "Which GM is the biggest Hard a** when negotiating?

Look at their views of the CBA? The best things are the things that get their clients more money. The worse things are the items that get their clients the less money.

37 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

According to a USA Today poll of 25 agents, MAC is the 5th worst GM when it comes to negotiations. Maybe that’s why we missed on Cousins?

The deal for Cousins was sealed about 4 weeks prior to the beginning of free agency. 

Gil Brandt said on Serius, about a week to 10 days after the Superbowl, that the Vikings will be announcing (he said "will", not "might") a blockbuster FA deal with some components that would be unprecedented and that he was not at liberty to say anything more specific.  (Obviously, the "unprecedented" component was the 100% guarantee given to Cousins).  The 'waiting period' between Superbowl and free agency is 100% pure unmitigated bullsheeeeet.  Time for the NFL to stop the charade about that, I think.

50 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

No it's not. In my heart I know Cousins was NEVER coming to the Jets. He just used us as leverage. I hindsight I'm GLAD Cousins isn't a Jet. I'm excited to draft our own franchise QB. Let's see how the Vikings do with their new QB this year.

Given the number of "ties" I'm guessing the sample size of the agents polled was pretty small...

That said, I'd love to put no stock into it but the "good reputation" teams are all perennially good while we're lumped in with the Redskins, Browns, Bengals, Bears and Raiders. Sadly it sounds about right these days.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

it says he’s 5th-least prepared

Sure, but what does that even mean?

That Macc doesn’t come in to a negotiation ready to roll over and meet a players demands?

That he initially throws out a lowball offer?

That sounds like Negotiating 101 to me. 

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think it means he's not prepared. 

And I’m asking in what sense?

Seems like a dumb poll to me. The last thing I want is for the GM of my team to be beloved by sports agents whose sole purpose is to get the most possible cash for themselves and their client.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And I’m asking in what sense?

Seems like a dumb poll to me. The last thing I want is for the GM of my team to be beloved by sports agents whose sole purpose is to get the most possible cash for themselves and their client.

Look at those two lists. Which would you rather be on? The one with the Patriots, Eagles, Packers, 49ers, and Broncos? Or the one with the Browns, Bengals, Redskins, Raiders, and Bears?

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, but what does that even mean?

That Macc doesn’t come in to a negotiation ready to roll over and meet a players demands?

That he initially throws out a lowball offer?

That sounds like Negotiating 101 to me. 

Yes, usually when people say “unprepared,” they mean “tough as nails”

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Look at those two lists. Which would you rather be on? The one with the Patriots, Eagles, Packers, 49ers, and Broncos? Or the one with the Browns, Bengals, Redskins, Raiders, and Bears?

IDK, the whole thing is dumb.

How are the Broncos one of the 4 best teams to deal with, yet agents seem to trust Elway about as far as they can throw him?

This is pretty much it. Not prepared could also be translated as "Which GM is the biggest Hard a** when negotiating?
Look at their views of the CBA? The best things are the things that get their clients more money. The worse things are the items that get their clients the less money.

I just can’t believe that Belichick would rate so highly with the agents with this as a criteria.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Yes, usually when people say “unprepared,” they mean “tough as nails”

So what does being unprepared in a contract negotiation mean?

Enlighten me

Is he digging up his ass when they come to the table?

Is he f*cking around playing solitaire when they’re hammering out the specifics?

Or does he set a bottom line and tell you to go f*ck yourself if you want exponentially more?

I’d probably bet on the latter

37 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No! and thankfully they did. Technically Mcc isn't negotiating. Jackie Davidson is..

And this isn't new...If you notice most of the contracts under Mcc's regime have an out after one or two yrs with little cap consequences. So in essence the agent will have to get his client a new contract again in one or two yrs..i.e. Cro, Mo, Revis, etc..

I keep reading this and it is not a thing.  First of all, every team negotiates "outs" into contracts.  Second, Mo and Revis did not have outs.  The Jets are paying Mo $9M to play for the Packers in 2018.  That is more than the Packers are paying him.  That isn't an out.  Last year they paid Revis $6M to sit on his couch and play 4 games for the Chiefs.  That is an out?  The only thing it did was get Revis out of the league because no team felt he was worth the money in the offset. 

25 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It is prepared, not hardass.  You think the Broncos, Eagles and Pats are pushovers?  That is ridiculous.  In fact, if you look at both lists, they list the Broncos as most prepared and Elway among least trusted.  

There views about the CBA were in terms of the job Smith is doing.  He is doing a sh*t job and his job is to get the players the most money.  They are player agents, should they aim for less?  Smith represents the players - anything he does that nets less money is a failure.

19 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Tannenbaum is the second-least trusted. Damn....

That is no shock.  There were several players that claimed he outright lied about promised terms.  That includes Kendall and Chris Baker, among others.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The deal for Cousins was sealed about 4 weeks prior to the beginning of free agency. 

Gil Brandt said on Serius, about a week to 10 days after the Superbowl, that the Vikings will be announcing (he said "will", not "might") a blockbuster FA deal with some components that would be unprecedented and that he was not at liberty to say anything more specific.  (Obviously, the "unprecedented" component was the 100% guarantee given to Cousins).  The 'waiting period' between Superbowl and free agency is 100% pure unmitigated bullsheeeeet.  Time for the NFL to stop the charade about that, I think.

Maybe they are "unprepared" because they wait until the FA period starts.  Maybe that is why they are always more active after the first wave of free agency.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

IDK, the whole thing is dumb.

How are the Broncos one of the 4 best teams to deal with, yet agents seem to trust Elway about as far as they can throw him?

Which team is.....wait for it......"PREPARED" during negotiations. This is like the scene in Airplane where they're all smacking the nun in the face. 

Just now, HessStation said:

Which team is.....wait for it......"PREPARED" during negotiations. This is like the scene in Airplane where they're all smacking the nun in the face. 

Once again, tell me what the hell being “prepared” entails in a contract negotiation?

”Oh, well, it just means...you’re prepared, ya know?”

Just now, Untouchable said:

Enlighten me

Is he f*cking around playing solitaire when they’re hammering out the specifics?

Or does he set a bottom line and tell you to go f*ck yourself if you want exponentially more?

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Enlighten me

I’d bet on the former, particularly since he’s handed out a bunch of exorbitant contracts that ended in total disaster, but I guess if you’re the kind of person who reads “unprepared” as “World’s Biggest #1 Badass” and “prepared” as “best team to deal with,” YMMV

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’d bet on the former, particularly since he’s handed out a bunch of exorbitant contracts that ended in total disaster, but I guess if you’re the kind of person who reads “unprepared” as “World’s Biggest #1 Badass” and “prepared” as “best team to deal with,” YMMV

So in other words, agents should love the f*cking guy.

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This is why Sperm will be my lead negotiator when I run the team.

yeah... if you want the other side of the negotiating table to die of old age before Sperm finishes his first paragraph.

Agents are the biggest slime balls in pro sports. Mac is an idiot, and there is plenty to kill him on, but I don't give two sh*ts what these agents think about the Jets. Preparedness doesn't land FA contracts, some combo of team quality, $$, and location preference do. The weighting of the 3 is an individual preference.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Does someone come to your house and dress you in the morning, or

Listen, slappy.

I’m just waiting for a single one of you to give me a single credible  explanation as to what the hell this even means or why any of us should even give a flying rats assh0le either way.

If agents are walking into Macc’s office and he’s jerking off to Xhamster with one hand, playing paddle ball with the other while cranking music and shouting obscenities...then yes, he’s “unprepared” for the task at hand.

Archived