To the Mayfield fans, what’s your worst-case scenario for the 1st 2 picks in the draft?

TuscanyTile2

To the Mayfield fans, what’s your worst-case scenario for the 1st 2 picks in the draft?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. To the Mayfield fans, what’s your worst-case scenario for the 1st 2 picks in the draft?

• Mayfield and Darnold
    • Mayfield and Rosen
    • Mayfield and Allen
    • Mayfield and someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2018 at 03:59 AM

To the Mayfield fans, what’s your worst-case scenario for the 1st 2 picks in the draft?Mayfield and who?   Darnold?

For the record, IMO Mayfield is the 4th best QB of the “big 4” QBs.  This poll is for those of you who rank Mayfield 1st or 2nd. 

I think if you're a Mayflower, your worst scenario is Allen and Barkley at 1/2.  Because that means the Jets might take Darnold over your guy, which is worse than if he's already gone (except it's probably better but you won't be able to accept that for a year or two). 

Mayfield and Rosen are worst case imo. I really dislike Allen because of obvious accuracy concerns. Darnold had a pretty terrible season imo lots of turnovers and lets not forget he came from the same school we Sanchez not that it means anything but I am a fairly superstitious person.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Mayfield and Rosen are worst case imo. I really dislike Allen because of obvious accuracy concerns. Darnold had a pretty terrible season imo lots of turnovers and lets not forget he came from the same school we Sanchez not that it means anything but I am a fairly superstitious person.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little bit stitious. 

If I was a Mayfield fan (and I am), the worst case scenario would be the draft falling:   1. Allen  2. Barkley

Because with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield left on the board I’m not convinced we don’t pass on Baker and go with one of the SoCal boys... who I just don’t trust. 

The worst case scenario for any Mayfield, Rosen and/or Darnold fan: Josh Allen being still on the board in any kind of combination with the others.  I'm concerned mac just can't resist. Not only is it a worst case scenario... it's a likely one as well. 

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To the Mayfield fans, what’s your worst-case scenario for the 1st 2 picks in the draft?Mayfield and who?   Darnold?

For the record, IMO Mayfield is the 4th best QB of the “big 4” QBs.  This poll is for those of you who rank Mayfield 1st or 2nd. 

There is none.  I'd be very happy with any one of Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold; there are legitimate arguments to be made, and fairly good chances, that any one of those three will be best QB in the draft, and that all 3 will be very good to great QBs in the NFL, along with legitimate questions about them.  If only one is left on the board, which is the worst case scenario since we're at 3, I can live with that.

The only real "worst case scenario," IMO, is the Jets having Allen ranked in the top 3 and the other two taken, since he has the highest bust potential AFAICT.  Anything but that is fine here

18 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Mayfield and Darnold. Rosen's frame and injury history scare me. Josh Allen just scares me.

Get me Mayfield or Darnold.

What if the Jets feel the same way and Mayfield and Darnold go 1 and 2.

What would you prefer the Jets do then?

1. Settle for Allen or Rosen

2. Take BPA RB, DL, or OL

3. Trade out

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

3. Trade out

SAR I

I would go Rosen, and cross my fingers that he stays healthy.

I think all this negative nonsense about Rosen is just scuttlebutt that teams are putting out hoping he drops to them. He is THE best QB in the draft and it's not close. Mayfield is probably our 2nd choice. In fact all the talk about us loving Mayfield is probably our team leaking it to make someone else jump above us to take him so we can get Rosen. People are guessing it because it's pretty obvious who will likely be available. 

Allen has no chance to get picked by us, despite this commonly held paranoid about Mac, he is not going to put his future on the line for such a shaky prospect. Darnold I honestly am not fond of but he is a popular enough pick where either the Browns bite or if they go Allen someone else (Bills, Broncos) will be dumb enough to trade up to 2 for him. 

Don't believe the hype, Mac wants Rosen but would be perfectly content with Mayfield. He traded to 3 the day after seeing those kids pro-days and barely even scheduled a visit with Darnold, that was a piss arse smoke screen.  

Decent info here:

2. JOSH ROSEN, UCLA (6-4, 221, 4.91, 1): Widely regarded as the best pure passer in the draft. “Rosen is as classic a passer as you could have,” one scout said. “His mechanics are impeccable. He’s got arm strength. He reads the field. Whether he’s the leader or not is the question.” Completed 60.9% of 1,170 passes for a rating of 93.6. “He looks the part when he throws the ball but lacks the rest of the assets you need to be a winning quarterback up here,” another scout said. “Off the field he doesn’t have the profile you want for someone leading your team. If everything’s clean and he can just sit back and throw it, he looks good. If it’s not, he’s not very effective. In the NFL, things aren’t clean. Against pressure he’s not very good. He’s been hurt. Those are big concerns.” Missed half the ’16 season because of a right shoulder injury that required surgery. Missed two games last year with two separate concussions. “He’s the best pure passer I’ve seen since Drew Brees,” another scout said. “Only thing that worries me is his body. He’s slightly built and he gets hurt. He also has not improved since his freshman year. When he was a freshman the guy was fantastic.” Comes from an academic family in Manhattan Beach, Calif. His father is an orthopedic surgeon and his mother is an heiress of a publishing house. Wonderlic of 29. “He’s a thinker, an intellectual,” another scout said. “He’s inquisitive. Very bright kid. Personable. More on the quiet side when it comes to his leadership.” According to one scout, one of Rosen’s former coaches at UCLA told him Rosen was three things: smart, talented and spoiled. “Football’s not his life,” the scout said. “He doesn’t go around with the guys. If Rosen’s mentally into the game and dedicated he certainly has the mechanics and accuracy.” The Bruins went 17-13 with Rosen as the starter. He might have become a pro tennis player, too. Two scouts compared his abrasive attitude to Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal. “He’s a smart ass,” said one. “He’s probably smarter than the quarterback coach. You have to challenge him intellectually. He’s worldly. He’s got a lot of things he wants to do in life.”

3. BAKER MAYFIELD, Oklahoma (6-0 ½, 215, 4.84, 1): Fifth-year senior walked on at Texas Tech, started seven games and departed with Davis Webb and Patrick Mahomes on the roster to walk on at Oklahoma. First walk-on to win Heisman Trophy (2017). First player since Georgia RB Herschel Walker to finish among the top four in Heisman voting three times. “In my heart of hearts I think Mayfield has a great chance,” said one scout. “I like him the best but he’s got that short thing going. If he were two inches taller he’d clearly be the best one.” The most efficient passer in NCAA history, he finished with an outrageous passer rating of 131.1 and completion mark of 69.8% for his 40 games at Oklahoma. “Quick delivery, accurate, big arm,” said a second scout. “But he is best late in the down. You’ll have to tailor your offense to his strengths. He’s little, and looks to bail too early. Really good at making plays outside the pocket. He benefits from a lot of one-read throws in their system so it’ll be an adjustment to play in a pro-style offense.” Has been arrested and suspended for various offenses. Often compared to Johnny Manziel (5-11 ½, 207, 4.65), who had a Wonderlic of 32 but flopped as a first-round pick in Cleveland. “Same antics, same background,” a third scout said. “He’s got a stronger arm than Manziel but can’t run as fast. I see too much Manziel. Most of his game is outside the pocket and those guys get hurt. When he runs he doesn’t slide.” Having interviewed Mayfield, another scout said: “He’s not half-cocked. He’s humble. I think he’s an outstanding competitor.” Cried as he gave his Heisman acceptance speech, calling himself a chubby, non-athletic kid growing up in Austin, Texas. “He’s a cocky little (bleep),” another scout said. “I think it will get him in trouble a little bit. He’s a little bit too full of himself. Now he is a hard worker and he loves football. I’m playing the percentages. Not many of those 6-foot quarterbacks work. Joe Theismann. Doug Flutie. Michael Vick. Russell Wilson. Drew Brees. That’s it.” Wonderlic of 25. Added one scout: “Guys have his back. He’s a little bit obnoxious but he’s very high energy. If he’s on the other team you (bleep) hate him. If he’s on your team you love him.”

Mayfield and Rosen.

I just don't believe Darnold will be good.  It's nothing more insightful than that.  I don't know for sure Rosen or Mayfield will either, but fairly positive I don't trust Darnold.

Everyone talks about accuracy being something you can't fix.  I also believe dumb throws usually aren't either.  

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Mayfield and Rosen.

I just don't believe Darnold will be good.  It's nothing more insightful than that.  I don't know for sure Rosen or Mayfield will either, but fairly positive I don't trust Darnold.

Everyone talks about accuracy being something you can't fix.  I also believe dumb throws usually aren't either.  

I like Darnold more than you do but this is kind of where I'm at. 

Darnold strikes me as the kind of guy who needs the right situation to maximize his potential... And the right situation isn't with the Jets.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Decent info here:

2. JOSH ROSEN, UCLA (6-4, 221, 4.91, 1): ...Completed 60.9% of 1,170 passes for a rating of 93.6...

3. BAKER MAYFIELD, Oklahoma (6-0 ½, 215, 4.84, 1): ... The most efficient passer in NCAA history, he finished with an outrageous passer rating of 131.1 ...him.”

Is that QBR?  In traditional QB rating Rosen is in the 140s and I think Mayfield is up in the 190s. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I like Darnold more than you do but this is kind of where I'm at. 

Darnold strikes me as the kind of guy who needs the right situation to maximize his potential... And the right situation isn't with the Jets.

I will say this, i will support whoever it is like there is no turning back.  I'm just excited for some fresh blood at the position.  I have my preferences, but if it's Darnold or even Allen, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove they aren't the guy.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

3. Trade out

SAR I

First I would cry. After I controlled my emotions, I would draft Allen. Not a big fan of Rosen.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is that QBR?  In traditional QB rating Rosen is in the 140s and I think Mayfield is up in the 190s. 

So, I think that's "traditional passer rating" where 156.3 is the maximum.

The number you're thinking of (I think) where Baker is in the 190s is "passer efficiency" which is a slightly different stat.

QBR is out of 100 (where 50 is average and 100 is a perfect game) so it's not that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

There's the link that explains the difference between NFL "passer rating" and college football "passer efficiency."

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So, I think that's "traditional passer rating" where 156.3 is the maximum.

The number you're thinking of (I think) where Baker is in the 190s is "passer efficiency" which is a slightly different stat.

QBR is out of 100 (where 50 is average and 100 is a perfect game) so it's not that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

There's the link that explains the difference between NFL "passer rating" and college football "passer efficiency."

Thanks.  I never realized that college used a different figure than the NFL.  Actually, when I typed that Mayfield was so high, I was thinking that was better than perfect. 

Archived