2018 Road Trips

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

I might go to the game in Nashville, mainly because I live here lol.   Need to see if I have any engagements that weekend.  

If anyone is looking to fly down and ticket prices are high, look into Atlanta or Memphis.  They are about 4 hours drive, but if you are renting a car, it's not that bad of a drive and prices tend to be much cheaper.  

City is nice, but much like Chicago, plan for plenty of extra time getting in and out of the city.  The main issue here is that, all the highways are on a merged loop.  Unlike NY and interstate interchanges, the highways merge here.  Instead of exits, you pretty much just join a large loop at various points and then split off.  So, when one highway is blocked for any reason, the entire loop will get trickle down traffic behind it.  

How cold is it there at that time of year?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I really wanted to go to Nashville this year, but I don't feel like going down there when its cold. It's looking like either Miami or Jacksonville for me. 

Yes, I was hoping that was a Sept \ Oct game myself.

How cold is it there at that time of year?

It's kinda hard to tell.

Usually, I'll say 40-50s, colder in the morning/night. But tolerable game time weather.

Although the last few years, been getting snow more frequently. Nothing like NY, but 1-2 inches maybe twice a year, half an inch 3 times a year. I even saw like a 4-5 inch storm 2 years ago.

Unlike NY, the mere mention of snow absolutely shuts the city down. It's NY blizzard level pandemonium. I've seen schools close for the threat of a half inch snow, which never came. Ten years ago, the city didn't have snow plows or salt spreaders in the budget at all. The first snow "storm" I saw here was a 2 inch storm that shut the city down for about 2 days. Always found it funny because my schools rarely closed in NY in 6 inch storms because it was supposed to taper off by mid mornings, lol.

It's a bit colder than the "South" would have you believe because the temps have been getting colder lately. Although, of you don't catch a cold front, it's decent weather for December football.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Rangers9 said:

Nashville is usually in the '50's in early Dec. You could do a great weekend there, go to game and then the bars on Broadway. It's walking distance from Nissan Stadium. 

The neck with the bars, we have those here. What we don't have at the level Nashville has is BBQ ! 

https://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/

https://mission-bbq.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

There used to be a little hole in the wall place downtown. That was some time ago and I don't know if it is still there but it was amazing.

If you find the right place and have never been to Memphis or Lockhart, TX, you will remember the BBQ long after you remember the game itself 

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

The neck with the bars, we have those here. What we don't have at the level Nashville has is BBQ ! 

https://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/

https://mission-bbq.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

There used to be a little hole in the wall place downtown. That was some time ago and I don't know if it is still there but it was amazing.

If you find the right place and have never been to Memphis or Lockhart, TX, you will remember the BBQ long after you remember the game itself 

You do get bars with pretty good country music. One place I went to you could nurse a can of Pabst for $2.75 and stay for a few sets. Both sides of Broadway are lined with them. It's really cool. Or like Sarge is going to do you can go to the Grand Ole Opry. I've never been to Ryman like Sarge is going to do but even the current regular site of the Opry in the mall is great. At the Opry you get to see top name stars who give a sampler of their work. Like 3 songs per act. I'm not even a big country fan but it's a good night out. I'm going to Nashville in two weeks for my daughter's graduation but booked with all kinds of dinners and grad parties. Even though our hotel is near Opryland we probably won't be going this trip to the Opry. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

You do get bars with pretty good country music. One place I went to you could nurse a can of Pabst for $2.75 and stay for a few sets. Both sides of Broadway are lined with them. It's really cool. Or like Sarge is going to do you can go to the Grand Ole Opry. I've never been to Ryman like Sarge is going to do but even the current regular site of the Opry in the mall is great. At the Opry you get to see top name stars who give a sampler of their work. Like 3 songs per act. I'm not even a big country fan but it's a good night out. I'm going to Nashville in two weeks for my daughter's graduation but booked with all kinds of dinners and grad parties. Even though our hotel is near Opryland we probably won't be going this trip to the Opry. 

There used to be a hotel in Nashville called Roger William's King of the Road (he of the pop hit of the same name). I doubt it is still there. They would have semi-major acts in their main room almost every night. Unfortunately, country has the same effect on me as fingernails on a blackboard (please take no offense, it's just that the construction, rhythm and instrumentation conflict with my inner oscillators ... and yes they do good lyrics). One night I stayed there and had a room right above where they played. I felt like Alex DeLarge (Malcom McDowell in Clockwork Orange) when he inadvertently stayed at one of his former victims house and was tortured by his beloved "Ludwig Von". I did not attempt to jump out the window, however, I did think about it briefly :). Of course that was forever ago and there's less pedal steel and banjo these days. 

Please tell me that you had at least some BBQ in this town

Travelling from Ireland and would love to do my first road game this year (been to London on the road but that doesn’t really count) 

Looks like Chicago is a popular choice (cheap (ish) direct flight from Dublin is a bonus for me)

Any negatives against travelling to Chicago ? Any better games/ cities to go to on the schedule ? I’m travelling over 6000 miles round trip so an extra couple of 100 miles won’t matter

2 hours ago, joebracken33 said:

Travelling from Ireland and would love to do my first road game this year (been to London on the road but that doesn’t really count) 

Looks like Chicago is a popular choice (cheap (ish) direct flight from Dublin is a bonus for me)

Any negatives against travelling to Chicago ? Any better games/ cities to go to on the schedule ? I’m travelling over 6000 miles round trip so an extra couple of 100 miles won’t matter

Go to the Miami game. Way more Jet fans. 

9 hours ago, joebracken33 said:

Why not go to a home game?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys new memeber long time Jet Fan.

I just found a good deal on a flight/hotel, so I’m heading to Detroit for the opener. Last time i went to a Monday night game was against the Cardinals. Even though we lost. The atmosphere was electric.

Since then I said if the Jets ever play in MNF game that it would be a priority of mine to go watch that game. 

Anyone else planing to go to Detrot. I see the game tickets are pretty cheap for a Monday night/ season opener. 

Go Jets!!!

On 4/20/2018 at 7:15 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Already purchased tickets to the Titans game and booked a room in Nashville. Its about a 5 hour drive for us

If you go, buy tickets to the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night which is at the historic Ryman Auditorium downtown during December (I think the Rockettes play the new Opryland then). 

Also visit the Country music hall of fame

Hey Sarge, just visited Nashville for my daughter's graduation and we went to Ryman for Country Classics with the Gatlin Bros. It was the same night as game 7 NHL playoffs between the Preds and Jets (Jets won) so it was pretty wild since Ryman is about a block from Bridgestone Arena. Never been there before (been to Opryland) and I'm not an expert but I thought the sound system was great. Don't get a seat on the side or you get a partial view like we did (we bought them a few days before the concert). On that evening they had Marty Stuart and the Superlatives and they played instrumentals incl. surfing music and it was great. I probably won't be going to Nashville for the Jets game, wish I was Nissan Stadium very close to Ryman.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Hey Sarge, just visited Nashville for my daughter's graduation and we went to Ryman for Country Classics with the Gatlin Bros. It was the same night as game 7 NHL playoffs between the Preds and Jets (Jets won) so it was pretty wild since Ryman is about a block from Bridgestone Arena. Never been there before (been to Opryland) and I'm not an expert but I thought the sound system was great. Don't get a seat on the side or you get a partial view like we did (we bought them a few days before the concert). On that evening they had Marty Stuart and the Superlatives and they played instrumentals incl. surfing music and it was great. I probably won't be going to Nashville for the Jets game, wish I was Nissan Stadium very close to Ryman.

There are a bunch of Hotels in downtown Nashville that are sort of between the stadium and the Ryman.  We're staying at the Sheraton but there are others that might be cheaper.   Not a bad walk in either direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone on here familiar with soldier field? Looking to get my tickets soon, but I would love to know if anyone could share some insight on where the best value is in this particular venue. It appears that it is fairly pricey overall, so I wouldn't mind getting the best bang for my buck if possible. J E T S

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 11:49 PM, BroadwayBen said:

Anyone on here familiar with soldier field? Looking to get my tickets soon, but I would love to know if anyone could share some insight on where the best value is in this particular venue. It appears that it is fairly pricey overall, so I wouldn't mind getting the best bang for my buck if possible. J E T S

Use NFL ticket exchange 48-24 hours before the game.  You'll get the best value.  All prices are inflated now.

Booked flights for Nashville.  May have to leave the game a few minutes early if it drags, but best I could do.  The only other trip I could make work this year would be Cleveland on a Thursday and I've already done it.

The hotels that weekend are a fortune, haven't booked yet.  Is something going on in town that I'm not aware of?

On 7/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, TeddEY said:

Use NFL ticket exchange 48-24 hours before the game.  You'll get the best value.  All prices are inflated now.

Thank you. I was considering that approach but I have always been one of those people that likes plans to be set in stone (for the most part) lol

But truthfully, i'm having second thoughts now. I've recently been in limbo between that, and going to the home game against the colts instead on Oct 14. Living in Ohio I haven't been to a home Jets game, and since I'll be around with a relative's wedding in Danbury CT the day before, it is very enticing. 

End of September, I am planning a trip to Orlando with the family -- just my wife and daughter.  Looking for an excuse to escape the theme parks, I am probably going to drive up to Jacksonville for the Jets-Jags game. 

Right now, it is looking like I will be solo (son can't make it and my buddy just bailed for a work event).  I may buy a ticket with the Gotham City Crew so I am not sitting by myself -- has anyone done any of their game outings? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, BroadwayBen said:

Thank you. I was considering that approach but I have always been one of those people that likes plans to be set in stone (for the most part) lol

But truthfully, i'm having second thoughts now. I've recently been in limbo between that, and going to the home game against the colts instead on Oct 14. Living in Ohio I haven't been to a home Jets game, and since I'll be around with a relative's wedding in Danbury CT the day before, it is very enticing. 

I'm similar.  I like to know.  But, I've gotten to the point where I know that seats will be available, and good ones at a great price, so I don't sweat it.  Honestly, it becomes kind of a game to see just how well we can do.  Typically, I sit in the lower deck, between the 35s, for about $120/seat.

Why not do both?  If you're already going to be in NY, you're paying for travel and lodging already.  Your only additional cost will be tickets.  You can ALWAYS find a good deal here on JN for tickets.  So, if you're planning to spend the money to travel to to chicago, it's only an additional $200 or so to see two games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, Browns Tailgate said:

Anyone going to Cleveland? You are welcome to come tailgate with GNATS Tailgaters.

If that's anywhere near the muni lot, I'll have to pass. I understand heckling but browns fans are straight up a**holes around that area. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 4:27 PM, TeddEY said:

Why not do both?  If you're already going to be in NY, you're paying for travel and lodging already.  Your only additional cost will be tickets.  You can ALWAYS find a good deal here on JN for tickets.  So, if you're planning to spend the money to travel to to chicago, it's only an additional $200 or so to see two games.

Well after seeing the hotel prices in Chicago, I thought it was a little outrageous. Plus, my girlfriend and I had just been to chicago in April, so to go back just for a jets game, didn't seem all that appealing for the price tag. Instead, I booked a 3 night stay in las vegas around that time, and with the resort fees and all, it is still significantly cheaper than the 2 night stay fare Chicago would have been. Sometime down the road I would love to check out soldier field, but this time around just isn't going to work out. 

Archived