Baker Mayfield and the AIQ test

Pointdexter

I was the board's debbie downer when we drafted Quinton Coples, Lee, The Hack Attack, the famous doubling down on safeties, and on and on and on. Let's face it, the Jets have been atrocious on draft day.

If we draft Mayfield, he will be the first pick I've championed in years. Trying not to get my hopes up, but totally getting my hopes up. 

Advanced Analytics Indicate Baker Mayfield Will Have Success in the NFL

Mayfield fared extremely well on a little-known test called the Athletic Intelligence Quotient.

4 weeks ago

In addition to throwing passes and undergoing medical tests, controversial quarterback prospect Baker Mayfield took a test called the AIQ (Athletic Intelligence Quotient) at the NFL combine.

Apparently, he did really, really well.

Out of 63 quarterbacks who have taken the test – which is said to measure intelligence in a way that removes the socioeconomic and cultural biases which are found in the better-known Wonderlic – since 2012, Mayfield had the second-highest score, two league sources told Sports Illustrated.

Mayfield’s mark also ranked in the top 100 of the more than 4,000 AIQ test scores that have ever been recorded at the combine. According to AIQ developer Dr. Scott Goldman, that bodes well for Mayfield’s chances for success in the NFL.

“We’ve found a statistically-significant correlation between our test and on-field performance, and this is the first test I’m aware of that has found that in the NFL,” Goldman said. “Players with a high AIQ tend to get on the field sooner and stay on the field longer.”

As of now, quarterbacks Josh Allen and Sam Darnold are projected to be drafted before Mayfield.

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/advanced-analytics-indicate-baker-mayfield-will-have-success-in-the-nfl/

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's so hard to say.  i just know when i heard favre relate a play in the game it was simply amazing he had so much detail in what the other players were doing.  i don't know if qb's as a rule can do that.  but if mayfield can see the field and have the same court sense then he could be a real find.  it seems the top guys always seem to know where everyone is and make plays accordingly.

Advanced analytics against college level talent means jack sh*t, the variable is flawed, and not conducive to accurate analysis.

I’d say this about any QB, not just Mayfield, I mean I bet advanced analytics from Bryce Petty’s 2017 preseason would suggest NFL success for example.

21 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I was the board's debbie downer when we drafted Quinton Coples, Lee, The Hack Attack, the famous doubling down on safeties, and on and on and on. Let's face it, the Jets have been atrocious on draft day.

If we draft Mayfield, he will be the first pick I've championed in years. Trying not to get my hopes up, but totally getting my hopes up. 

Advanced Analytics Indicate Baker Mayfield Will Have Success in the NFL

Mayfield fared extremely well on a little-known test called the Athletic Intelligence Quotient.

4 weeks ago

In addition to throwing passes and undergoing medical tests, controversial quarterback prospect Baker Mayfield took a test called the AIQ (Athletic Intelligence Quotient) at the NFL combine.

Apparently, he did really, really well.

Out of 63 quarterbacks who have taken the test – which is said to measure intelligence in a way that removes the socioeconomic and cultural biases which are found in the better-known Wonderlic – since 2012, Mayfield had the second-highest score, two league sources told Sports Illustrated.

Mayfield’s mark also ranked in the top 100 of the more than 4,000 AIQ test scores that have ever been recorded at the combine. According to AIQ developer Dr. Scott Goldman, that bodes well for Mayfield’s chances for success in the NFL.

“We’ve found a statistically-significant correlation between our test and on-field performance, and this is the first test I’m aware of that has found that in the NFL,” Goldman said. “Players with a high AIQ tend to get on the field sooner and stay on the field longer.”

As of now, quarterbacks Josh Allen and Sam Darnold are projected to be drafted before Mayfield.

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/advanced-analytics-indicate-baker-mayfield-will-have-success-in-the-nfl/

I'm at a point now that I'll be crushed if he gets taken before us. I'm on board with Mayfield, I said before Baker did an accuracy test at the NFL network studios in Culver City CA. They set up 5 nets with 1' X 1' logos of the teams he might go to. He just strolled out in jeans & a Tshirt, spun his arm around a little to warmup & proceeded to throw perfect darts right through the center of these logos, tearing a few of them in half. Scientific? Of course not, but god damn, it was an incredible display of accuracy with confidence. It was f*cking impressive. I think Mayfield is a taller, stronger, better built, more accurate QB with a stronger arm than Doug Flutie, who would probably been a star in this new NFL.

If we get Baker or Josh Rosen, we'll finally get to see our WRs at their best. Both of these guys are accurate & throw with anticipation, so we'll finally see exciting football by seeing our WRs actually have a chance to RUN after catching the ball! Our YAC numbers with go WAY UP.

Same thing happened with Goff once he got protection and got comfortable in the pocket.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

it's so hard to say.  i just know when i heard favre relate a play in the game it was simply amazing he had so much detail in what the other players were doing.  i don't know if qb's as a rule can do that.  but if mayfield can see the field and have the same court sense then he could be a real find.  it seems the top guys always seem to know where everyone is and make plays accordingly.

38 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Hopefully Baker will still be on board when we pick & Hopefully Macc picks him.

ps- "socioeconomic and cultural biases"... I would Love to see their examples of that.

The wonderlic is culturally biased?  I’d love to find out how that’s even possible 

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Wonderlic and SATs are totally different tests.  And I don’t buy the SATs being culturally biased that’s nonsense just because the verbal portion requires you to speak English well 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I'm at a point now that I'll be crushed if he gets taken before us. I'm on board with Mayfield, I said before Baker did an accuracy test at the NFL network studios in Culver City CA. They set up 5 nets with 1' X 1' logos of the teams he might go to. He just strolled out in jeans & a Tshirt, spun his arm around a little to warmup & proceeded to throw perfect darts right through the center of these logos, tearing a few of them in half. Scientific? Of course not, but god damn, it was an incredible display of accuracy with confidence. It was f*cking impressive. I think Mayfield is a taller, stronger, better built, more accurate QB with a stronger arm than Doug Flutie, who would probably been a star in this new NFL.

I saw that.  Goofy but impressive.  It left me with the impression that you could wake him up out of a deep sleep and he would nail the target.  Can't help but think of Allen throwing it over the net at the combine.

If we get Baker or Josh Rosen, we'll finally get to see our WRs at their best. Both of these guys are accurate & throw with anticipation, so we'll finally see exciting football by seeing our WRs actually have a chance to RUN after catching the ball! Our YAC numbers with go WAY UP.

Same thing happened with Goff once he got protection and got comfortable in the pocket.

Rosen can look a bit like a statue at times, though.

Regardless of who you favor, this article is pointless unless they furnish the complete list of test takers and their percentiles. 

All this is saying is that according to the parameters of the test which was administered, Baker scored second highest.

How can anyone glean what that means for his prospective NFL career without seeing other results or seeing the parameters of the test?

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Regardless of who you favor, this article is pointless unless they furnish the complete list of test takers and their percentiles. 

All this is saying is that according to the parameters of the test which was administered, Baker scored second highest.

How can anyone glean what that means for his prospective NFL career without seeing other results or seeing the parameters of the test?

I would think they ask a fee for that information 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's hard for me to imagine Bake Mayfield as some prestigious intellect.

Did he even graduate? 

It is not supposed to gauge "intellect."  My understanding its that it's supposed to be designed to determine whether their brain is wired for the type of quick decisions, etc. that are required in athletics.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If he is available take him. Simple as that. Tired of all the speculation and just want the friggin draft to get here.

Why the **** wouldn't he be available?  

So Goff needed protection and to be comfortable in the pocket, but Mayfield won't?

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Hopefully Baker will still be on board when we pick & Hopefully Macc picks him.

ps- "socioeconomic and cultural biases"... I would Love to see their examples of that.

I find it interesting that Mayfield needed a test without "socioeconomic and cultural biases" to score better than Allen.  I guess that those California cantaloupe farmer have all the socioeconomic advantages.  Then again, maybe Allen is the guy that scored higher.  Or maybe it was Hackenberg.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It is not supposed to gauge "intellect."  My understanding its that it's supposed to be designed to determine whether their brain is wired fro the type of quick decisions, etc. that are required in athletics.

Interesting.  I'd love to the see the questions.  

I actually did something that was supposed to determine quick decision making while in high school looking at playing ball in college.  It was a race car video game and while you were driving the car, you had to hit certain buttons based on cues from the screen.  Supposedly, this test was a way to predict/determine your ability to read and react to distractions while you're driving and it would relate to things like, playing QB or OL or in my case, to play point guard....having the vision to run the play but see the whole court type of thing.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The wonderlic is culturally biased?  I’d love to find out how that’s even possible 

Everything is culturally and racially biased. 

We live in a world of deep and unrelenting racism, conscious and unconscious, and it is a cause for nearly every problem our society suffers under today.  

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he is johnny football part two in many respects-I want no part of him

Unlike Manziel, this guy is a worker and is reported to have a photographic memory for the playbook.  Manziel has said he made no effort whatsoever to memorize Cleveland's schemes.  If we don't draft this guy I hope no one in the AFC east does, because he will kill us for years to come.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

I actually did something that was supposed to determine quick decision making while in high school looking at playing ball in college.  It was a race car video game and while you were driving the car, you had to hit certain buttons based on cues from the screen.  Supposedly, this test was a way to predict/determine your ability to read and react to distractions while you're driving and it would relate to things like, playing QB or OL or in my case, to play point guard....having the vision to run the play but see the whole court type of thing.

5VPj98U.gif

JiF with the slick, no look, between the legs pass... 

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Unlike Manziel, this guy is a worker and is reported to have a photographic memory for the playbook.  Manziel has said he made not effort whatsoever to memorize Cleveland's schemes.  If we don't draft this guy I hope no one in the AFC east does, because he will kill us for years to come.

watch his arrest video thats right I said his arrest video and tell me there should be no concern about how he will be in NY

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

How many pedestrians did you run over?

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

watch his arrest video thats right I said his arrest video and tell me there should be no concern about how he will be in NY

I've seen you post it, yes.  These guys aren't choirboys and if they were they'd probably be pretty crappy at football.  My feeling is that this guy wants to succeed so badly that he is not going to let this kind of stuff get in his way.  You hate him.  We get it.  Only time will tell if he will be the success I expect him to be in the NFL.  Who do you want to draft?

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why the **** wouldn't he be available?  

So Goff needed protection and to be comfortable in the pocket, but Mayfield won't?

I find it interesting that Mayfield needed a test without "socioeconomic and cultural biases" to score better than Allen.  I guess that those California cantaloupe farmer have all the socioeconomic advantages.  Then again, maybe Allen is the guy that scored higher.  Or maybe it was Hackenberg.

Why wouldn't he be available? Come on.Do I need to spell it out for you? Or do you think Mayfield is so bad no one but the Jets are stupid enough to take him?

Archived