Josh Allen to the Jets per Josh Allen

Lupz27

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I’d say it’s the opposite, people are just throwing sh!t against the wall where we are concerned

"Don't tell anyone we worked you out."

Allen tells media a team worked him out and wanted to keep it a secret. It's figured out that same day the team was the Jets.

Would actually be more inconspicuous if they did it brazenly and out in the open.

IMO the approach GMs/scouts should take towards the draft is to, first and foremost, apply a grade strictly based on talent, as that should hold the most weight.  Next start adding and deducting points based on intangibles, or lack there of.  Once all that is done, FINALLY, you factor in production.  Is it reconcilable, underwhelming, inflated...etc considering ALL factors, (i.e., surrounding talent, scheme, coaching...etc.).

Using the criteria I've outline, Allen should be the top pick.  If one prefers the collegiate lifetime achievement model, then Mayfield is your pick.  You should NEVER start with production.  The intention should be to find the best future NFL players not reward the best college football players.  It's NOT the Heisman trophy nomination process.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than some have him rated 1, others 2nd etc, you'd have a point?

Petty, Hack and Allen.  All are tall, strong guys.  None of them have yet proven to be capable NFL QBs.  We'll see if that changes this year but Macc's track record of liking big guys with big arms who have questionable accuracy and QB skills is still intact.  If it turns out that Macc traded up to #3 to take Allen then that's 3 years in a row of trading up for the same type of guy with similar collegiate profiles.

40 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Well this is a nightmare. 

What's hilarious about this type of reaction is that it's all premised on two Jets-centric things:

1) The fans utter lack of faith in Macc's ability to evaluate a QB prospect, and

2) The fans utter lack of faith in Bowles and the coaching's staff's ability to develop a QB prospect.

If the Jets had a competent QB evaluator and competent coaching staff with an ability to develop QBs, then at 3 Josh Allen would be a no brainer.  You'd be high-fiving in the draft war room after you handed in that card.  But because of the Jets internal issues Allen is an incredibly risky selection.

What's hilarious about this type of reaction is that it's all premised on two Jets-centric things:
1) The fans utter lack of faith in Macc's ability to evaluate a QB prospect, and
2) The fans utter lack of faith in Bowles and the coaching's staff's ability to develop a QB prospect.
If the Jets had a competent QB evaluator and competent coaching staff with an ability to develop QBs, then at 3 Josh Allen would be a no brainer.  You'd be high-fiving in the draft war room after you handed in that card.  But because of the Jets internal issues Allen is an incredibly risky selection.

By all accounts Bates is the guy that can develop a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Petty, Hack and Allen.  All are tall, strong guys.  None of them have yet proven to be capable NFL QBs.  We'll see if that changes this year but Macc's track record of liking big guys with big arms who have questionable accuracy and QB skills is still intact.  If it turns out that Macc traded up to #3 to take Allen then that's 3 years in a row of trading up for the same type of guy with similar collegiate profiles.

I'll say it again.  Just about every top of the draft QB fits that description.  Isn't just a Macc thing.  Name all the GMs you think would like a small, undersized QB in the top few picks.  Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, the top guys usually for the description.  Only short QBs that were drafted are Brees and Wilson, neither went 1st round.  Keenam was a UDFA.  That's all I'm saying.

I also won't be surprised at all if they draft Mayfield's if it comes down to him or Allen. No different than I to him they'll pick Darnold over Mayfield but am not so sure about Rosen.  Not all size driven

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'll say it again.  Just about every top of the draft QB for that description.  Isn't just a Macc thing.  Name all the GMs you think would like a small, undersized QB in the to few picks.  Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, the top guys usually for the description.  That's all I'm saying.

I also won't be surprised at all if they draft Mayfield's if it comes down to him or Allen. No different than I to him they'll pick Darnold over Mayfield but am not so sure about Rosen.  Not all size driven

Jet Nut jockeying for pole position in the Whatever The Jets Do Is The Best—Brickyard 500 Grand Prix 

Just now, Pac said:

All the whiners should watch this in it's entirety.  I'd be quite happy with a swing for the fences if he's there.

I’m already convinced nobody has a rats ass clue. Truth is I’m just happy we moved up and taking a shot with a young signal caller that could be a franchise QB. All we can really hope for. No Peyton Manning’s in this draft.  It’s a damn crapshoot I tell you . 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jet Nut jockeying for pole position in the Whatever The Jets Do Is The Best—Brickyard 500 Grand Prix 

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

All the whiners should watch this in it's entirety.  I'd be quite happy with a swing for the fences if he's there.

AND @Pac COMES FROM NOWHERE TO TAKE THE LEEEEEAD

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

I’m creating a Word document consisting solely of links to posts I’m going to necro eighteen months from now

Josh Allen grew up in Firebaugh, California, a two-stoplight town of 7,500 residents in the middle of a farming region. He finished his college career at Wyoming, so, yes, it could be culture shock if he's drafted by the New York Jets.

Allen said he'd relish the opportunity to play in Gotham and rescue the Jets from quarterback purgatory.

"Absolutely," he said Friday in a phone interview with ESPN. "They’re a couple of pieces away from winning a lot of football games. I really enjoyed the coaching staff and I think it would be a really good fit. I think they’ve got some weapons on offense and they have a really young defense that’s ready to win right now."

Josh Allen said he'd love to be drafted by the Jets and that he's ready to handle the New York media. Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports

The Jets own the third pick in the draft. Some mock drafts project Allen to go No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns. If that doesn't happen, he probably will be available for the Jets, who have performed an inordinate amount of due diligence on Allen. In fact, they were the only team to travel to Laramie, Wyoming, for a private workout.

For the record, the Jets also conducted private workouts with Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and UCLA's Josh Rosen. They skipped a private workout with USC's Sam Darnold. All four visited the Jets' facility.

"First they got me on the board," said Allen, recalling his private time with Jets officials. "They gave me a quick lesson on their offense and how they handle themselves, then I went up on the board and regurgitated it back to them. I talked about some of my plays and the things we did at Wyoming. Then we went down on the field and threw a lot of footballs. They had some free agents come out and I made all the throws, so there’s no question about that."

The Jets weren't finished with Allen. They brought him to their facility for a pre-draft visit, and he met with coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates for the second time. He also got a chance to meet with members of he defensive staff and had a sitdown with CEO Christopher Johnson.

Allen is a risk-reward pick. He has "the biggest upside in the draft, a really exciting player," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Friday. "Obviously, he has to learn how to be a little more accurate. He has to throw with timing and anticipation."

There are no character issues with Allen, who has an upbeat personality and is considered a good leader. During the run-up to the draft, he's working with Hyundai, promoting its “Rolling with the Rookies” series. He doesn't sound concerned about the prospect of dealing with the pressures of New York.

"I think where I come from is going to help me with a market such as New York," he said. "I’m not afraid of the media. I think I know how to handle them because I’ve been around them enough. I understand the New York media is a lot more magnified than most markets, but I’m up for that challenge. I'd definitely be suitable and I’d be primed for a market like that."

Just now, T0mShane said:

FOUND THIS ARTICLE ON REDTUBE 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

AND @Pac COMES FROM NOWHERE TO TAKE THE LEEEEEAD

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m creating a Word document consisting solely of links to posts I’m going to necro eighteen months from now

No offense but I think Dilfers opinion is a bit more educated than you 2 buffoons sitting in pajama pants guzzling luke warm cans of Labbatts and calling your dog over to eat up all the broken doritos that fall from your faces as you chomp away.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As opposed to you whining about whoeve we take like we all know you'll do?  Sorry I'm not that miserable or wasted so much time repeating the name Minkah over and over again.  And have been consistent.  Don't get why you give a shlt anyway. 

Archived