Josh Allen to the Jets per Josh Allen

Lupz27

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s not just his views.  There is an aggregate concern with rosen’s lack of arm strength, mobility and durability.  Then consider his personality, and this just adds to the concern.

i think mayfield has a higher upside, with a better arm, better mobility, better leadership qualities and a pure love of the game.  

At this point, i think the jets are getting mayfield or darnold.  And if the browns do take allen, that time the giants are on the clock is going to seem like forever.

You take Darnold 

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This thread is utter nonsense.

For the record, the Jets also conducted private workouts with Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and UCLA's Josh Rosen. They skipped a private workout with USC's Sam Darnold. All four visited the Jets' facility.

it's not a carefully guarded secret, you know. 

OMG  Does that mean we're taking all 4 ?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I'll say it again.  Just about every top of the draft QB for that description.  Isn't just a Macc thing.  Name all the GMs you think would like a small, undersized QB in the to few picks.  Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, the top guys usually for the description.  That's all I'm saying.

I also won't be surprised at all if they draft Mayfield's if it comes down to him or Allen. No different than I to him they'll pick Darnold over Mayfield but am not so sure about Rosen.  Not all size driven

Understood.  I agree that big, tall and strong are things GM's should and do look for.  I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, Macc seems to emphasize those attributes rather than other performance-oriented attributes, accuracy, etc.  He had a "secret evaluation" of Hackenberg that he didn't want people to find out about for fear they'd know the Jets were interested in him.  I don't think anyone was going to touch Hack before Round 4.  Macc's projection that Hackenberg, like Kyle Boller, could have his accuracy issues "fixed" once he came to the NFL has proven to be incorrect thus far, just like it was for Boller.  Macc has an opportunity to either double-down (triple down?) by taking his third QB of this type with Allen....or he can show an aversion to getting burnt a 3rd time using the same evaluation perspective.  I have ZERO clue who will turn out to be a boom or bust from this class, but I do know the definition of insanity...

Einstein.png

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Understood.  I agree that big, tall and strong are things GM's should and do look for.  I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, Macc seems to emphasize those attributes rather than other performance-oriented attributes, accuracy, etc.  He had a "secret evaluation" of Hackenberg that he didn't want people to find out about for fear they'd know the Jets were interested in him.  I don't think anyone was going to touch Hack before Round 4.  Macc's projection that Hackenberg, like Kyle Boller, could have his accuracy issues "fixed" once he came to the NFL has proven to be incorrect thus far, just like it was for Boller.  Macc has an opportunity to either double-down (triple down?) by taking his third QB of this type with Allen....or he can show an aversion to getting burnt a 3rd time using the same evaluation perspective.  I have ZERO clue who will turn out to be a boom or bust from this class, but I do know the definition of insanity...

Einstein.png

If there’s a God we get Darnold and this Allen becomes the next  Ellway or better and baker/rosen flame out so 60% of this board are nowhere....... please 

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Did you see the combine?  He blew away the other guys.  Not just on distance, but he threw some nice touch passes and showed excellent mobility.  Regardless, he's 4th on my list because of the risk, but he's definitely an interesting prospect.  He's more than just a big arm.

I'm with you.  He's an interesting prospect and I agree with what most people are saying, highest ceiling and lowest floor for the "Big 4."  The Jets simply can't take the risk of a bust and if Allen has the highest risk then I don't want him.  That's just me.  If we were still sitting at #6 and Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield were gone by the time the Jets were on the clock, then no problem, draft him!  But one of the BIG benefits of trading up to #3 and spending all that 2nd round draft capital is so that the Jets don't have to take the riskiest guy in Round 1.  They've already paid the cost to take that risk off the table and assure themselves that AT LEAST one of the other three guys can be theirs.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm with you.  He's an interesting prospect and I agree with what most people are saying, highest ceiling and lowest floor for the "Big 4."  The Jets simply can't take the risk of a bust and if Allen has the highest risk then I don't want him.  That's just me.  If we were still sitting at #6 and Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield were gone by the time the Jets were on the clock, then no problem, draft him!  But one of the BIG benefits of trading up to #3 and spending all that 2nd round draft capital is so that the Jets don't have to take the riskiest guy in Round 1.  They've already paid the cost to take that risk off the table and assure themselves that AT LEAST one of the other three guys can be theirs.

I think it will be settled when cleveland takes him.  It’s not like darnold is the amazing can’t miss prospect he was portrayed to be at the beginning of the year.  

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

You know what i want to know, if the Jets drafted Mayfield, or Darnold and their play fell off a cliff, would Jet fans stop Monday morning Qbing every move this franchise make . 

pff are you kidding me brah, EXACT opposite.

Jets fans will stop MMQB'ing this franchise when they STOP MAKING STUPID FCKING MOVES LIKE DRAFT HACKENBERG IN THE 2ND... OR TAKING DEFENSIVE LINEMEN IN ROUND 1 FOR SIX HUNDRED YEARS STRAIGHT

Show me competence and I'll STFU... Otherwise, I'll continue the "I could have done better" narrative. Cause I can. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Jets fans will stop MMQB'ing this franchise when they STOP MAKING STUPID FCKING MOVES LIKE DRAFT HACKENBERG IN THE 2ND... OR TAKING DEFENSIVE LINEMEN IN ROUND 1 FOR SIX HUNDRED YEARS STRAIGHT

Show me competence and I'll STFU... Otherwise, I'll continue the "I could have done better" narrative. Cause I can. 

True but saying J Allen is a lost cause and a mess of a pick isn’t the best idea 

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

[-X   I think you need to re read his post !

2 hours ago, Pac said:

No offense but I think Dilfers opinion is a bit more educated than you 2 buffoons sitting in pajama pants guzzling luke warm cans of Labbatts and calling your dog over to eat up all the broken doritos that fall from your faces as you chomp away.

Remember when Trent Dilfer said Colt McCoy would be the best pro QB from the 2010 draft

21 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Funnily enough, that's a good comparison for the one qb everyone seems to love here, Baker Mayfield.

Again there’s an awful lot of pro baker people on this forum and he’s a good prospect.... but we will know a lot in a year or two on this board and it will not be pretty  ....

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I have said the same thing numerous times only to realize I don’t have the information the teams do about these prospects and I don’t have to explain to my owner why I am giving millions of his money to a kid with red flags up the ying yang that fans are not privileged too.  I wanted to draft Hackenberg and was willing to move back into the bottom of the 1st round to get him if I needed too . The Jets didn’t have to and thus far it has proven to have been a mistake . It happens, and you move on . Mac won’t be the last GM to make a mistake on a player .  

What some fans refuse to take into consideration is that sometimes GM’s make decisions on players based on the results that they received from the investigation performed by the teams . Sometimes what you know can be more dangerous than what you don’t. 

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baker is the guy who scares me the most.  Like there will be all this hype about the guy and then we'll see him in training camp and wonder "what the heck were we thinking?!"  Josh Allen might need time to grow but he's a big, strong kid with a ton of ability that he needs to harness.  I'd still prefer Darnold or Rosen before him but I will be one of the few on here who won't be upset at a Josh Allen pick.  

I sincerely believe that Allen is the product of hype.  There's just not a history of performance to back it up.  I expect him to be a HUGE disappointment.

16 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

This place gonna go nuclear next Thursday lol.

save you the suspense in reading it, the team that privately worked him out, and wanted it hush aka Hack was the Jets.

I dont think the HAckenberg Jets workouts was private. Their interest in him was public

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Can't see drafting a project at 3.

Certainly not now. We tried that already.

We need a QB that's ready to play ASAP.

As a fan, I'll be pissed if we draft Allen and bench him the entire 2018 year. Especially if I see guys we could've had (Rosen/Mayfield) playing and producing on Sundays.

Darnold led with 59 points, and was followed by Rosen with 55, Allen with 43, Mayfield with 35, Louisville’s Lamar Jackson with nine, Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph with eight and Washington State’s Luke Falk with one.

Two of the 14 declined to answer which of the six leading players had the best chance to bust. The 12-vote results showed five bust votes for Allen, four for Jackson and three for Mayfield.

“I think all of the quarterbacks are overhyped and overrated,” said one of the pessimists in the profession. “Allen’s inconsistent accuracy, Darnold’s turnovers, Mayfield’s height and demeanor, Rosen’s know-it-all attitude and Jackson’s ability to learn are all negative factors. 

4. JOSH ALLEN, Wyoming (6-5, 234, 4.77, 1): Led all QBs in a stunning six categories: the 40, Wonderlic (37), vertical jump (33 ½), broad jump (9-11), arm length (33 ¼) and hand size (10 1/8). “Looks like Carson Wentz on the hoof … or Troy Aikman,” one scout said. “He is the biggest and best physical specimen of all of them. He’s just not as far along.” One scout drew four parallels between Allen and Aaron Rodgers: both hailed from small California towns (Firebaugh for Allen), both grew late and weren’t recruited out of high school, both spent one year in junior college and both landed scholarships when colleges coaches noticed them by accident while recruiting other players. Missed most of 2015 with a broken collarbone and two games in ’17 with right shoulder damage. Completed merely 56.3% of 649 passes for a rating of 90.6. “The wonder boy,” said another scout. “There’s been nobody that’s been good with his poor stats, his lack of dominance, the low percentage and the lack of winning. I just don’t think he has a good feel for the game. That’s his problem. And this guy is not in the SEC or the Big Ten. This guy played in a terrible level of competition (Mountain West). Even the good players from small schools (Eastern Illinois) like Jimmy Garoppolo, those guys dominated. When you start making excuses for a guy, it’s over with. You should stop right there. You do it or you don’t.” One of his coaches said he can throw a ball 89, 90 yards. “I’m not saying his arm is Terry Bradshaw’s but it’s as good an arm as you’d want,” another scout said. “Those kids at Wyoming couldn’t hang on (to his passes). Ten years from now you’ll think this kid was the best kid in the class. I think he’ll have a long and storied career.” Another scout compared Allen’s accuracy issues to Jake Locker, who hit 54% at the University of Washington before the Titans drafted him with the eighth pick in 2011. That scout also compared Allen to Tim Couch (6-4, 224, 4.89). Several times, another scout brought up Blake Bortles (6-5, 230, 4.91) as the best comparison. “Can throw through a wall,” one scout said of Allen. “Man, does he have some accuracy issues that I cannot see getting better. He’s got a big arm but there have been a lot of quarterbacks like that that have failed.”

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Mac/Bowles can't afford to be patient with a QB and sit him his entire rookie year. Apparently that's what Josh Allen needs.

This front office lost that right after their 2 previous QB draft picks (Hack & Petty).

Agree Macc/Bowles are on the hot seat to produce wins and make the playoffs or they are both gone. 

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

Didn't you want Paxton Lynch and went off on Macc for letting Elway grab him instead of the Jets?   

Archived