Josh Allen to the Jets per Josh Allen

Lupz27

If we were a perennial winning franchise with a super bowl trophy in the last 5 years, who had a still good but aging QB. I’d be all for drafting Allen at any spot, and let him learn and develop for a few years.

That just won’t work with this team and fanbase, for good reason. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Adoni Beast said:

If we were a perennial winning franchise with a super bowl trophy in the last 5 years, who had a still good but aging QB. I’d be all for drafting Allen at any spot, and let him learn and develop for a few years.

We didn’t trade two good 2nd rounders and the #6 pick for a guy who is sitting for a year and needs major work on his accuracy.  As much as i hate to admit it the jets traded up for Rosen.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold led with 59 points, and was followed by Rosen with 55, Allen with 43, Mayfield with 35, Louisville’s Lamar Jackson with nine, Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph with eight and Washington State’s Luke Falk with one.

Two of the 14 declined to answer which of the six leading players had the best chance to bust. The 12-vote results showed five bust votes for Allen, four for Jackson and three for Mayfield.

“I think all of the quarterbacks are overhyped and overrated,” said one of the pessimists in the profession. “Allen’s inconsistent accuracy, Darnold’s turnovers, Mayfield’s height and demeanor, Rosen’s know-it-all attitude and Jackson’s ability to learn are all negative factors. 

4. JOSH ALLEN, Wyoming (6-5, 234, 4.77, 1): Led all QBs in a stunning six categories: the 40, Wonderlic (37), vertical jump (33 ½), broad jump (9-11), arm length (33 ¼) and hand size (10 1/8). “Looks like Carson Wentz on the hoof … or Troy Aikman,” one scout said. “He is the biggest and best physical specimen of all of them. He’s just not as far along.” One scout drew four parallels between Allen and Aaron Rodgers: both hailed from small California towns (Firebaugh for Allen), both grew late and weren’t recruited out of high school, both spent one year in junior college and both landed scholarships when colleges coaches noticed them by accident while recruiting other players. Missed most of 2015 with a broken collarbone and two games in ’17 with right shoulder damage. Completed merely 56.3% of 649 passes for a rating of 90.6. “The wonder boy,” said another scout. “There’s been nobody that’s been good with his poor stats, his lack of dominance, the low percentage and the lack of winning. I just don’t think he has a good feel for the game. That’s his problem. And this guy is not in the SEC or the Big Ten. This guy played in a terrible level of competition (Mountain West). Even the good players from small schools (Eastern Illinois) like Jimmy Garoppolo, those guys dominated. When you start making excuses for a guy, it’s over with. You should stop right there. You do it or you don’t.” One of his coaches said he can throw a ball 89, 90 yards. “I’m not saying his arm is Terry Bradshaw’s but it’s as good an arm as you’d want,” another scout said. “Those kids at Wyoming couldn’t hang on (to his passes). Ten years from now you’ll think this kid was the best kid in the class. I think he’ll have a long and storied career.” Another scout compared Allen’s accuracy issues to Jake Locker, who hit 54% at the University of Washington before the Titans drafted him with the eighth pick in 2011. That scout also compared Allen to Tim Couch (6-4, 224, 4.89). Several times, another scout brought up Blake Bortles (6-5, 230, 4.91) as the best comparison. “Can throw through a wall,” one scout said of Allen. “Man, does he have some accuracy issues that I cannot see getting better. He’s got a big arm but there have been a lot of quarterbacks like that that have failed.”

I wonder what the Jaguars would get if they tried to trade Blake Bortles. It seems like that’s a fate worse than having no QB at all—getting locked into a high draft pick that just kinda sucks. You can’t outright cut him because that’s your ass, and you can’t really keep running him out onto the field if he’s not getting any better. 

I have honesty thought all along that the Allen to the Browns rumor is to trigger Mac to trade up. Just as the Mayfield rumors are to offset the Allen rumors.

If the Jets were to be targeting Mayfield there would be no reason to have Bridgewater on the roster either.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

pff are you kidding me brah, EXACT opposite.

Jets fans will stop MMQB'ing this franchise when they STOP MAKING STUPID FCKING MOVES LIKE DRAFT HACKENBERG IN THE 2ND... OR TAKING DEFENSIVE LINEMEN IN ROUND 1 FOR SIX HUNDRED YEARS STRAIGHT

Show me competence and I'll STFU... Otherwise, I'll continue the "I could have done better" narrative. Cause I can. 

no... no they wont....  There are a few fans that called trading up to 3 from 6 a stupid mistake...

14 hours ago, Titan24 said:

I’m trying to like baker....I am

hes not R Wilson not athletic enough  and the chances he’s D Brees are slim to none 

Btw listened to B Scott other day talking bout SI article and all baker nonsense.  He will be hit and hit hard quickly . Moxie/bravado means nothing to 27-30 yr old men in nfl 

What i like about baker is his ball placement on the run or rolling out of the pocket.  I havent watched many games of these top 4 qbs but what i have seen, baker is the best with respect to putting the ball where it needs to be, whether it be in front of the receiver on the run or down and low between 2 defenders. Any QB should be able to sit back in the pocket and sling it but what % of plays does that happen for a QB dropping back to pass in the NFL? When that happens you hear the "he had all day to throw that" maybe like prescotts rookie season?  IDK, i dont watch cowboy games.

My $0.02

58 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Which is exactly why he's not getting past the Giants.

17 hours ago, SMC said:

What's hilarious about this type of reaction is that it's all premised on two Jets-centric things:

1) The fans utter lack of faith in Macc's ability to evaluate a QB prospect, and

2) The fans utter lack of faith in Bowles and the coaching's staff's ability to develop a QB prospect.

If the Jets had a competent QB evaluator and competent coaching staff with an ability to develop QBs, then at 3 Josh Allen would be a no brainer.  You'd be high-fiving in the draft war room after you handed in that card.  But because of the Jets internal issues Allen is an incredibly risky selection.

I'll tell you why this is a ridiculous post. It's not my lack of faith in our ability to develop a QB. Its understanding the fact that nobody in the last 20 years has developed a kid like this. It does not happen.

I posted this in the other thread but.... absolutely every big time QB in the NFL the last 20-25 years falls into certain buckets coming out of college. Big time winner. Big time school. Huge numbers. All fall into at least 2 out of 3 buckets most into all 3. Allen falls into none.

NFL coaches aren't magicians. You dont take a kid who was innacurate his entire life and make him an NFL superstar because he's really tall, and he's got really big hands, and throws it a country mile. The reason that guys like this come around every year is because the egos of the guys in these organizations make them believe they are magicians. 

I promise you all whoever drafts Josh Allen will massively regret that decision.

21 hours ago, BCJet said:

Ive always thought that to be a good QB the best trait to have was to be a good QB, which Allen currently isnt.

Anything can happen, but if Mac takes him and he busts, Mac will never sniff a job over area scout ever again.

He same can be said regardless of which quarterback he takes.

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

By all accounts Bates is the guy that can develop a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I have no idea what to make of Bates.  7-8 years ago guy was a rising star.  Got his chance in Seattle.  Pete fired him after one season.  Bates seemed to have some kind of a melt down and went for a 4 year stroll in the Rockies.

We'll see how he reacts to the NYC trash scribes.  

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I have no idea what to make of Bates.  7-8 years ago guy was a rising star.  Got his chance in Seattle.  Pete fired him after one season.  Bates seemed to have some kind of a melt down and went for a 4 year stroll in the Rockies.

We'll see how he reacts to the NYC trash scribes.  

I am really concerned about Bates. I think he is one and done along with Bowles

26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am really concerned about Bates. I think he is one and done along with Bowles

Well Mayfield is about as much of a bad fit for Bates’ West Coast offense as it gets so he will be one and done

17 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

No question, his ceiling is amazing.  Dude can throw 55 years on the run, easy.  Regardless do you accept the risk, or go with someone safer.  Sometimes no guts, no glory.

This ones 62 yards in the air and on the money

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Allen is going to be a better nfl qb than Mayfield don’t know what all the outrage is about

Repeating the same unpersuasive claim over and over is not particularly persuasive.  You just don' get that, which is why no one will ever take anything you post seriously.  You win the clown award when it comes to argumentative skills. You have none.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Repeating the same unpersuasive claim over and over is not particularly persuasive.  You just don' get that, which is why no one will ever take anything you post seriously.  You win the clown award when it comes to argumentative skills. You have none.

Allen has done nothing on the field to lead anyone to believe hed be better than Mayfield at any level. Literally anyone who says this is guessing and wishing.

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

And the anti-Allen fan club doesn't do the same?

8 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

And the anti-Allen fan club doesn't do the same?

No, they don't.  Not like Phil.  Even the other anti-Mayfield posters don't do what he does.  It's not that he's "anti-Mayfield"  It's that he adds NOTHING new each time he posts.  He purposely wastes everyone's time just so he can hear the sound of his own voice bouncing around somewhere in that empty head of his.  I'd say the same thing if he constantly repeated himself about any of the others.  

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I have ZERO clue who will turn out to be a boom or bust from this class, but I do know the definition of insanity...

Einstein.png

That's not the definition of insanity.  

That's the definition of either perseverance or perseveration, depending on context.

3 hours ago, burkett2112 said:

I'll tell you why this is a ridiculous post. It's not my lack of faith in our ability to develop a QB. Its understanding the fact that nobody in the last 20 years has developed a kid like this. It does not happen.

I posted this in the other thread but.... absolutely every big time QB in the NFL the last 20-25 years falls into certain buckets coming out of college. Big time winner. Big time school. Huge numbers. All fall into at least 2 out of 3 buckets most into all 3. Allen falls into none.

NFL coaches aren't magicians. You dont take a kid who was innacurate his entire life and make him an NFL superstar because he's really tall, and he's got really big hands, and throws it a country mile. The reason that guys like this come around every year is because the egos of the guys in these organizations make them believe they are magicians. 

I promise you all whoever drafts Josh Allen will massively regret that decision.

I'm afraid the ridiculous post is this one. The word "inaccurate" doesn't accurately describe Allen's issues. He can be incredibly accurate -- even on the fly off his back foot throwing 30 yards. On the other hand, he can throw a duck on a screen pass. Inconsistency is the hobgoblin here, and it is in some part a product of mediocre receivers and poor protection. I think you're 100% wrong on Allen's future. He will be at least a very good QB in the NFL. I actually think he's got the temperament to do well, even on the Jets.

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I see we have reached the “every qb but Allen has a weak arm” phase. Nice. Nice.

As if arm strength even matters that much.  As long as you don't have a noodle arm like Chad Pennington, you're fine, and none of the top prospects in this draft are in that category. 

Peyton Manning wobble-passed his way to being the greatest QB of all-time.  

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm afraid the ridiculous post is this one. The word "inaccurate" doesn't accurately describe Allen's issues. He can be incredibly accurate -- even on the fly off his back foot throwing 30 yards. On the other hand, he can throw a duck on a screen pass. Inconsistency is the hobgoblin here, and it is in some part a product of mediocre receivers and poor protection. I think you're 100% wrong on Allen's future. He will be at least a very good QB in the NFL. I actually think he's got the temperament to do well, even on the Jets.

Josh Allen sucks

there are 4 qbs with scout inc grades over 90 in this draft

for the sake of argument lets assume all 4 have the potential to be amazing

It has become a matter of the fans of one tearing down the fans of another but really it should be about fit and culture 

bottom line a Southern Cal QB has been tried in NY recently and Thanksgiving hasn't been the same. I'll never forget the first time Sanchez saw snow it was before a regular season game he was starting. that man is the franchise playoff wins leader BTW.  

A UCLA QB is like a USC QB but with more opinions or whatever. These guys might have great careers for Arizona and the Chargers. I don't like them in NJ. No one wants Josh Rosen's opinion in Jersey. 

Life as QB of the NYJ is more like the QB of Wyoming who went to JC or walking on to Texas Tech and transfering to Oklahoma.  It's not a 5 star elite 11 life where you get your money for nothing and your chicks for free. It's a building that looks like an air conditioner built in swampland. The division away games are in s-hole places like Buffalo and Foxborough. 

The point of this rant is that Cali boys are too soft for NY. I like Darnold more than Rosen but they are 3 and 4 on the list. Allen 1, Mayfield 2 seems reasonable. 3rd choice is Saquon. 

Archived