Connecting the Draft Dots

choon328

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slats said:

Not to help @T0mShane troll the hell out of you guys with all the Allen talk, but when I read this I immediately saw that another reason for the Jets to project Mayfield love is because they actually have Allen love. 

Think about it. Cleveland is rumored to like Allen the best, but also probably have a non-QB rated higher than all the other non-QBs, too, that they'd like to get between picks #1 & 4. Giants are also heavily rumored to be debating between the same two guys, Barkley and Chubb. Now if the Browns can be convinced that the Giants are deciding between Darnold, Chubb, and Barkley, and the Jets are choosing between Darnold and Mayfield, Allen would be guaranteed to be there at #4 should Cleveland take their favorite non-QB #1 - a player who would not be guaranteed to be there at #4 if they went QB first. For the Jets, if Cleveland goes non-QB #1, Allen and his big beautiful hands will be there at #3. 

Mission accomplished. 

I suggested half-jokingly last week that we should watch Macc during the 1st two picks.  If someone trades up above us to draft Mayfield, you may see him pump his fist with pure joy at having pulled off the greatest con in NFL draft history.  I would be okay with Mayfield, but for my money, I'd rather see us go with any of the other guys first so I'd be more than happy to see Mayfield go ahead of us.

And enough about this 'Mayfield is the people's choice' crap.  The people's choice is a winning QB.  Period.  Maybe that's Mayfield, and maybe it's not, but "moxie" feels like Intangibles 2.0.  Hard pass if that's at all part of your argument.

3 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

Its cute that you think Bowels isn't going to start McCown for a majority of the season no matter who they pick.

Cute? 

He could start McCown until November, put Rosen in and if he got a concussion it would still be his 3rd concussion in 1 year. 

You're missing my point entirely thinking im trying to be cute

23 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Good thread topic. It's more interesting at this point trying to unravel the smoke screens and propaganda than to argue for the millionth time over who's the best or worst QB. Giants remain the key player for us. But no matter what happens, we will have a QB.

Nope it’s all a smoke screen to take Fitzpatrick. 

On 4/21/2018 at 4:12 AM, choon328 said:

Since the beginning of this draft process there has been pretty much a steady diet of either Darnold or Allen going 1 or 2 in this draft with Barkley and Chubb as an option at 2 as well as a trade out of 2. The only question was at 3 if the Jets would take Rosen or Mayfield. I would say that 2 weeks ago the large majority of mock drafts had the Jets taking Rosen in that scenario and now that has completely flipped. Why is that?

There has been this narrative out there recently that the Jets love Mayfield and he's their guy. There has been two speculated reasons as to why that narrative is the way it is. 1) The agent is trying to pump up his value, 2) The Jets can't keep a secret and tipped their hand.

After thinking about it for a while tonight I think I've come up with another reasonable narrative.  And that is this...

Since the talk of Mayfield being the Jets pick another narrative has begun and that is that Rosen will fall. Some have him going outside of the top 10 which makes no sense for the QB who in league circles is valued as the best pure QB In the draft. Without his concussions and personality being overblown (I'm sure the majority of players in the draft have had multiple concussions already) he's the #1 pick all day. So here's my theory.

The Jets have purposely inflated their love for Mayfield.  This narrative has now created buzz that Rosen may slip out of at least the top 5 and it wouldn't be necessary for a team like Denver to move to 2 or a team like Buffalo to give up all of those picks to move to 2 when they may be able to get him at 5 or 6 for much cheaper.  There was also a report by Rappaport that the Bills are now targeting the 5th pick.  This protects against the Jets losing out on their real target Josh Rosen. Since the perception is that the Giants won't let the Jets move to 2 then creating a false narrative that everybody has bitten hook line and sinker is the natural play here. Thanks for reading.

princessbride2.gif?fit=245,166&ssl=1

Archived