Second overall pick is...

j4jets

2nd overall pick for the Giants is...  

129 members have voted

1. 1. 2nd overall pick for the Giants is...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/2018 at 04:59 AM

JN picked Darnold to be the first overall pick for the Browns.

EF6B54C6-25B0-45E9-8A87-8565AE999098.jpeg

Now you’re the GM with the second overall pick in 2018. Who would you pick as the Giants GM? They may cash out of the premium pick, but as of now, it’s the Giants and this poll is simply based on current standings  

I will create one last poll for the third overall pick for the Jets. Let’s see what JN thinks. 

Poll closes Sunday night. 

Just now, Obrien2Toon said:

Feel the same except should be Rosen

I would put Rosen if they wanted a QB to start immediately. I don't think someone of his personality, and pro-ready talent would be keen on sitting 1-2 years.

Rosen.  Gettleman just got hired.  While Eli is in "win now" mode I don't think Gettleman is.  He wants to be there for the longterm and has watched the Jets GM who occupies the same stadium he does go three years lurching from mediocre veteran to mediocre veteran.  Gettleman is also in the position of fielding phone calls from teams crying in desperation to move up to #2.  Imagine you're the Giants and you just watched the Jets trade a #6 and THREE 2nd round picks to move up just three places.  If I'm the Giants GM I'd be asking myself, "Is this what I'll be forced to do in 2 years?"

The Giants go QB at #2 for a few reasons:

A. That's what the top of the draft is used for and this is a deep QB class

B. Gettleman just got the job, he's not in "win now" mode having just traded JPP.  He doesn't want to be Maccagnan 2.0 in a couple years perennially searching for a QB.

C. The Giants can get a very good RB with the 2nd pick in Round 2 (34 overall).  In fact, they could trade up from #34 into the 20's and possibly snag a guy like Derrius Guice, considered the second best RB this year.

Giants take a QB and I think it's Rosen.

37 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Barkley - OBJ - Sheppard and Ingram is one hell of offense even with average QB. (Manning Webb or a FA).
They could also go for a qb in the 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

When Eli Manning gets hurt or proves to be old and ineffective, Barkley's stellar 6 year career with 1 NFC East title and not much else will make Jints fans warm and cuddly for about 30 seconds, until they will eventually skin Gettleman alive for not picking one of these QBs.

There are a  lot of NFL games where running the ball is beside the point.It's not 1975.  Running keeps the defense honest about your decision-making, and helps you run clock late in games when you are ahead. In the playoffs, it gets even more pronounced because the QB play and passing attacks  are invariably even better. If you fall behind late in  game, an RB becomes a total nonfactor. 

I don't usually agree with Bill Simmons, but he has the running idea that every sports franchise needs a Executive VP of Common Sense to be outside of the groupthink than tends to set in, especially over draft picks. Kinda how and why a certain team who wears green had NO FREAKING BUSINESS passing on Derek Carr, and then DeShaum Watson or Pat Mahomes.  

Selfishly, I want them to take a QB to lessen the chance one of them drops to another AFC East team.  No way Barkley drops that far but Rosen, Allen or Mayfield might if two of them get past us. 

As for who they will actually take, I have no clue.

It's a rare opportunity to take a franchise QB, as the Giants GM I would take Rosen or trade the pick, I am not sold that Barkley will be the best NFL player in the draft, I think he is a great player and as a Jets fan, would love to see him in green and white but not in the top 5 with potential franchise QB's on the board

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Darnold goes 1 to the Browns, I don't think the Giants pass on Barkley.

N

26 minutes ago, Bugg said:

When Eli Manning gets hurt or proves to be old and ineffective, Barkley's stellar 6 year career with 1 NFC East title and not much else will make Jints fans warm and cuddly for about 30 seconds, until they will eventually skin Gettleman alive for not picking one of these QBs.

There are a  lot of NFL games where running the ball is beside the point.It's not 1975.  Running keeps the defense honest about your decision-making, and helps you run clock late in games when you are ahead. In the playoffs, it gets even more pronounced because the QB play and passing attacks  are invariably even better. If you fall behind late in  game, an RB becomes a total nonfactor. 

Kinda how and why a certain team who wears green had NO FREAKING BUSINESS passing on Derek Carr, and then DeShaum Watson or Pat Mahomes.  

They better start sharpening those skinning knives.

Lots of teams passes on Carr and Watson . As far as Mahomes... What TF has he done? Totally unknown QB at this point.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Rosen.  Gettleman just got hired.  While Eli is in "win now" mode I don't think Gettleman is.  He wants to be there for the longterm and has watched the Jets GM who occupies the same stadium he does go three years lurching from mediocre veteran to mediocre veteran.  Gettleman is also in the position of fielding phone calls from teams crying in desperation to move up to #2.  Imagine you're the Giants and you just watched the Jets trade a #6 and THREE 2nd round picks to move up just three places.  If I'm the Giants GM I'd be asking myself, "Is this what I'll be forced to do in 2 years?"

The Giants go QB at #2 for a few reasons:

A. That's what the top of the draft is used for and this is a deep QB class

B. Gettleman just got the job, he's not in "win now" mode having just traded JPP.  He doesn't want to be Maccagnan 2.0 in a couple years perennially searching for a QB.

C. The Giants can get a very good RB with the 2nd pick in Round 2 (34 overall).  In fact, they could trade up from #34 into the 20's and possibly snag a guy like Derrius Guice, considered the second best RB this year.

Giants take a QB and I think it's Rosen.

i don't know.  the giaints seem to be able to take a slower approach to finding ELIte's replacement because he still has 2 or three more good seasons left physically.  he's been pretty free of injury so the giaints could very well take a player that will help them win now.  maybe barkley or maybe chubb and then hold off on a qb for a few rounds.  and even if the notion is gettleman isn't in a win now mode im he still wants to make a splash that counts.  barkley fits that plan as does chubb.

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

They better start sharpening those skinning knives.

Lots of teams passes on Carr and Watson . As far as Mahomes... What TF has he done? Totally unknown QB at this point.

I can see the Giants taking Barkley, the challenge I have with that decision is thinking a 3 win team is 1 or 2 players away from a Super Bowl run - Eli has never put that team on his back

20 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I can see the Giants taking Barkley, the challenge I have with that decision is thinking a 3 win team is 1 or 2 players away from a Super Bowl run - Eli has never put that team on his back

I hear what you're saying. The Giants were strong playoff contenders going into last season. They viciously under achieved. I'm thinking if they have a turn around year and you add Barkley to the mix they'll be possibly playoff bound.  

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I went Barkley. 

Gold jacket player, lack of depth at RB, OBJ is being a dick, Saquon brings a playmaker element to the offense if they decide to part ways with said dick, and because Chubb in a 3-4 is not a perfect fit.

I keep reading that Chubb is perfect for the 3-4

Allen

No way I’m taking a RB over a QB with that kind of insane potential, especially since I’d have a damn near perfect setup for the kid where he can come in and sit behind Eli for a year or two.

The Giants would be f*cking bonkers to take Barkley. Get your potential successor to Eli at #2 and then you can take a RB like Michel, Jones or Chubb at the top of Round 2 if you want.

48 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Allen

No way I’m taking a RB over a QB with that kind of insane potential, especially since I’d have a damn near perfect setup for the kid where he can come in and sit behind Eli for a year or two.

The Giants would be f*cking bonkers to take Barkley. Get your potential successor to Eli at #2 and then you can take a RB like Michel, Jones or Chubb at the top of Round 2 if you want.

Barkley is a good not great rb prospect.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I keep reading that Chubb is perfect for the 3-4

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No he’s too slow.  He’s a better fit for 4-3

The truth is, nobody knows. 

I think (maybe) three college teams run a legit 3-4 base defense; NC State isn't one of them. 

When you take a player that only has experience moving forward, and ask him to play in space, you run a higher risk of busting, a la Vernon Gholston, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, (I guess the jury is still out on) Solomon Thomas, but you get the idea. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

The truth is, nobody knows. 

I think (maybe) three college teams run a legit 3-4 base defense; NC State isn't one of them. 

When you take a player that only has experience moving forward, and ask him to play in space, you run a higher risk of busting, a la Vernon Gholston, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, (I guess the jury is still out on) Solomon Thomas, but you get the idea. 

The best 3-4 pass rushing OLB in the draft is Davenport and he is built to play the position 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Barkley is a good not great rb prospect.  

I agree

We’ve heard this “generational RB” crap every draft for the last 4 years now.

Gurley, then Elliott, then Fournette and now Barkley.

Last I checked, “generational” players at a specific position aren’t supposed to come around every year.

This is one of the better RB classes in recent memory. No damn way you take one at #2 overall.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I agree

We’ve heard this “generational RB” crap every draft for the last 4 years now.

Gurley, then Elliott, then Fournette and now Barkley.

Last I checked, “generational” players at a specific position aren’t supposed to come around every year.

This is one of the better RB classes in recent memory. No damn way you take one at #2 overall.

This is the flaw in the analysis at the top of the mock drafts.  Barkley isn’t a Barry sanders.  And i think if the browns take darnold, the giants are taking Rosen.

amid all the gettleman talk about barkley, it was the giants owner who said something a while ago that i think was the tipoff.  It was Tisch or Mara who said that he liked the Green Bay model for qbs, what they did with farve and Rodgers.  So I could easily see the giants drafting darnold or Rosen and sitting him for a year and a half, tell him to carry eli’s Jock strap for a while, then take over the giants.  

Archived