Second overall pick is...

j4jets

2nd overall pick for the Giants is...  

129 members have voted

1. 1. 2nd overall pick for the Giants is...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/2018 at 04:59 AM

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The best 3-4 pass rushing OLB in the draft is Davenport and he is built to play the position 

Oh. 

Hey, I wonder if they said the same thing about Gholston, Mingo, Dion Jordan, and Solomon Thomas?

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I agree

We’ve heard this “generational RB” crap every draft for the last 4 years now.

Gurley, then Elliott, then Fournette and now Barkley.

Last I checked, “generational” players at a specific position aren’t supposed to come around every year.

This is one of the better RB classes in recent memory. No damn way you take one at #2 overall.

In fairness no one called those RBs generational.  

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

N

They better start sharpening those skinning knives.

Lots of teams passes on Carr and Watson . As far as Mahomes... What TF has he done? Totally unknown QB at this point.

Doesn’t matter other teams passed on these guys. Many already had QB ‘s in place. Bottom line is this franchise hasn’t had a decent QB since Vinny.  They’ve passed on Carr, Mahomes, Watson, Bridgewater, Garapolo for the likes of Geno Smith and Hack and signed relics like Fitz and McClown. Unforgiveable. 

Mara made it clear he wants to win now to his GM ...with that being the case the Giants will either take Barkley or trade out of the 2nd pick and grab a RB in the second round or late in the first. They may even target a WR like Kirk or Ridley in the first if they trade out 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Mara made it clear he wants to win now to his GM ...with that being the case the Giants will either take Barkley or trade out of the 2nd pick and grab a RB in the second round or late in the first. They may even target a WR like Kirk or Ridley in the first if they trade out 

Mara is turning into Leon Hess.

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

When did Mara do this? Mara was in on trying to snipe Eli last year until McAdoo biffed the transition and Francesca blew him up.

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mara is turning into Leon Hess.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When did Mara do this? Mara was in on trying to snipe Eli last year until McAdoo biffed the transition and Francesca blew him up.

They were interviewing Gettleman on NFL network and after the interview Kim Jones made it pretty clear that's how Mara wanted to proceed.. I watched the interview and commentary that followed. Don't you think if Mara wanted to blow it all up and compile picks he would have done exactly what the Jets did when we tried and failed to win with our last Vets from the 2 AFCCG years ?

If Mara wanted to rebuild no way Eli is still there and no way they pass on a QB like everyone seems to think they will.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

They were interviewing Gettleman on NFL network and after the interview Kim Jones made it pretty clear that's how Mara wanted to proceed.. I watched the interview and commentary that followed. Don't you think if Mara wanted to blow it all up and compile picks he would have done exactly what the Jets did when we tried and failed to win with our last Vets from the 2 AFCCG years ?

If Mara wanted to rebuild no way Eli is still there and no way they pass on a QB like everyone seems to think they will.

Eli is still there because cutting him would have resulted in $25 million dollars in dead money against the cap. And they’re going to draft a QB at 2. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eli is still there because cutting him would have resulted in $25 million dollars in dead money against the cap. And they’re going to draft a QB at 2. 

you may be right its not like teams have told the truth in interviews and showed their hand. Thing is if they wanted to do that why not sell off more vets for picks ? They have some desirable players that don't need to be involved in a rookie transition period including Eli who possibly could have been traded to say a team like the Broncos to give them a few more runs at the SB. Should be interesting to see how it all turns out on thursday

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Rosen.  Gettleman just got hired.  While Eli is in "win now" mode I don't think Gettleman is.  He wants to be there for the longterm and has watched the Jets GM who occupies the same stadium he does go three years lurching from mediocre veteran to mediocre veteran.  Gettleman is also in the position of fielding phone calls from teams crying in desperation to move up to #2.  Imagine you're the Giants and you just watched the Jets trade a #6 and THREE 2nd round picks to move up just three places.  If I'm the Giants GM I'd be asking myself, "Is this what I'll be forced to do in 2 years?"

The Giants go QB at #2 for a few reasons:

A. That's what the top of the draft is used for and this is a deep QB class

B. Gettleman just got the job, he's not in "win now" mode having just traded JPP.  He doesn't want to be Maccagnan 2.0 in a couple years perennially searching for a QB.

C. The Giants can get a very good RB with the 2nd pick in Round 2 (34 overall).  In fact, they could trade up from #34 into the 20's and possibly snag a guy like Derrius Guice, considered the second best RB this year.

Giants take a QB and I think it's Rosen.

Agree 100% with this.

Drafting a QB now gives Gettleman job security. But I'm hoping he'll go with a project like Josh Allen. Remember, they're not scarred from Hackenberg like we are. Giants can afford patience.

At the end I voted Rosen. But hope I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Mayfield

4. Chubb

5. Barkley (assuming Denver stays here)

1. Darnold

2. Barkley

3. Mayfield

4. Chubb

5. Allen

I'm waiting for the Browns to screw this whole thing up by taking Allen at #1  lol   You're right abot Denver. They are the one team I can see trading down. I think if Allen's still there they grab him.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

1. Darnold

2. Barkley

3. Mayfield

4. Chubb

5. Allen

I'm waiting for the Browns to screw this whole thing up by taking Allen at #1  lol   You're right abot Denver. They are the one team I can see trading down. I think if Allen's still there they grab him.

I'll even say Nelson at #6.  I think the Bills can stay put and get Allen at #12, unless someone jumps in front of them.  

On 4/21/2018 at 11:26 AM, Untouchable said:

I agree

We’ve heard this “generational RB” crap every draft for the last 4 years now.

Gurley, then Elliott, then Fournette and now Barkley.

Last I checked, “generational” players at a specific position aren’t supposed to come around every year.

This is one of the better RB classes in recent memory. No damn way you take one at #2 overall.

Literally all 3 of those guys you just mentioned are already pro bowl running backs, and Barkley is superior to all of them in every possible measurement you'd make for a running back....

On 4/21/2018 at 9:10 AM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Is there any way you can expose names on the poll? If not this one then the following one.

They’re all public votes bro. When u say “exposed”, it sounds like Tom Brady cheating. And I don’t mean cheating on her lesbian partner Jizzelle. 

18 hours ago, burkett2112 said:

Literally all 3 of those guys you just mentioned are already pro bowl running backs, and Barkley is superior to all of them in every possible measurement you'd make for a running back....

He is likely going to be good but until he proves it at the NFL level it's all meaningless. RBs don't play as long as most positions, to invest in one when a possible franchise QB is available for a franchise that has been in need of a QB for a while will likely be a mistake.

RBs drafted in top 5:

Fournette 2017: good rookie year

Elliot 2016: great rookie year

Trent Richardson 2012: bust

Darren McFadden 2008: not a bust but not very good

Reggie bush 2006: decent player but never the guy he was supposed to be. We drafted a RB in round 4 that year who was just as good.

Ronnie brown, cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson 2005: all had moments, none became great

We have to go back to 2001 for the last great RB drafted in top 5 and that player never helped his team reach a SB. The only player on this list to win a SB was bush but it was on a passing team and he wasn't a feature back.

Let them ignore QB for a RB.

48 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He is likely going to be good but until he proves it at the NFL level it's all meaningless. RBs don't play as long as most positions, to invest in one when a possible franchise QB is available for a franchise that has been in need of a QB for a while will likely be a mistake.

RBs drafted in top 5:

Fournette 2017: good rookie year

Elliot 2016: great rookie year

Trent Richardson 2012: bust

Darren McFadden 2008: not a bust but not very good

Reggie bush 2006: decent player but never the guy he was supposed to be. We drafted a RB in round 4 that year who was just as good.

Ronnie brown, cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson 2005: all had moments, none became great

We have to go back to 2001 for the last great RB drafted in top 5 and that player never helped his team reach a SB. The only player on this list to win a SB was bush but it was on a passing team and he wasn't a feature back.

Let them ignore QB for a RB.

To play devils advocate, how many Quarterbacks drafted in the top 5 or 10 during that same time frame have won their teams super bowls?

Since the 2001 NFL Draft, only two Quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 have won superbowls.  The Manning brothers.

There are far more QBs selected inside that top 5 top 10, and far more become busts.  

I would argue that in the last 3 years since we've seen the course correction on running backs, the backs you've seen drafted in the first round in general have turned out to be very good picks.  

6 minutes ago, burkett2112 said:

To play devils advocate, how many Quarterbacks drafted in the top 5 or 10 during that same time frame have won their teams super bowls?

Since the 2001 NFL Draft, only two Quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 have won superbowls.  The Manning brothers.

There are far more QBs selected inside that top 5 top 10, and far more become busts.  

I would argue that in the last 3 years since we've seen the course correction on running backs, the backs you've seen drafted in the first round in general have turned out to be very good picks.  

And all 4 were won because of great defense in the playoffs. I see your point but the QB is always more important than the RB as long as you get it right.

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

And all 4 were won because of great defense in the playoffs. I see your point but the QB is always more important than the RB as long as you get it right.

I see yours as well.  Just comparing based on the sample size you gave.  Also if you want a scarier stat in comparison to yours I just did a little more research.

Since 1999 there have been 33 QBs drafted in the top 10. 1 (Eli Manning) has won a super bowl.  That's kind of scary actually

On 4/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, mrcoops said:

Barkley. Giants already have Webb and can add another prospect at QB in round 2 or 3.

Eli has a few years left, and the Midgets want to give him a chance to win again.

One has to wonder why the Giants didn't trade down, then. Drafting a RB with the #2 pick is foolish - not because Barkley isn't a great player -he is - but because the RB position really isn't a high value position anymore

Archived