Anyone else like all 4?

JohnnyLV

Don't understand how Allen is considered to be in the same tier as the other three.

Seems everyone says Allen needs the most development.  While the other three already have what it takes to play now if needed.

Who says Allen can even become good enough to play?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

At this point, I’m almost rooting for the pick to be based more on entertainment value than win/loss potential.

4. Rosen, smooth throwing motion = boring 

But.... Smug social media posts.....

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

I'm almost of the mindset that we need to pick the guy that's least fvck-up-able by the Jets. lol  Does that make sense?  I want a guy who is already so far down the development path that even the Jets couldn't screw him up.  That's why, for me, there really is only one Josh that should be on the Jets draft board, and that's Rosen.

If you honestly believe the Jets coaching staff and organizaion is that dysfunctional - then no QB is going to make them a winner.  The team is lost.

I think this idea that the Jets, as an organization, is incapable of developing a QB is just silly.  Hack and Petty are just bad players and poor draft choices - coaching had nothing to do with it.

I, for one, have faith in Bates to get whoever we draft ready and trun him into a star.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I like all 4, but Allen scares the sh*t out of me with this staff. They all scare the hell out of me with this staff, but Allen the most. But I won’t cry like a bitch if we draft him, I’ll hope for that upside

Agreed. I would be happy with any of them. I am glad the Jets will be in the position to finally draft what may be a franchise guy. Allen is my least favorite of the four and I hope he is the Jets least favorite as well.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

The first time Allen drops back and unleashes a 60-yard rainbow you are going to scream like a bitch the whole time it's in the air.  Whether it gets caught and by whom is a whole other question but it will be a damned exciting 4 seconds.

That's what she said.  #MeToo

I like them all. I go:

1. Rosen-getting picked apart for things not football related. I am ok with boring. Peyton was boring.

2. Darnold- young has a ton of ability. Think I would have like him another year in college.

3. Allen- I think in the end he surprises a lot of people. I think he has the IQ and athletic ability to produce.

4. Mayfield. I think he will need a STUD offensive line do allow him be productive.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

I'm almost of the mindset that we need to pick the guy that's least fvck-up-able by the Jets. lol  Does that make sense?  I want a guy who is already so far down the development path that even the Jets couldn't screw him up.  

Lol. Yes! Yes! This is exactly how I feel about the whole damn thing. Please, just whoever you are, don't let this org screw you up!

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this idea that the Jets, as an organization, is incapable of developing a QB is just silly. 

Well we have 40 years of evidence, but to each his own.

Count me among those who want the guy who's the most polished and developed and the least likely to be dependent on Todd Bowles and company to turn him into something.

I would have been ok rolling with Allen if we stayed at #6 (although, I would have been disappointed that we didn't trade up). 

My biggest issue with Allen is that I can't help but feel that he didn't do enough in college to warrant being a top 2-3 pick. He's a guy who could definitely turn into a stud under the right tutelage and in the right culture, but he hasn't established that he can be a dominant player on the field quite yet. 

I just think that his inherently elevated bust potential should preclude him from being a top 3 selection. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If you honestly believe the Jets coaching staff and organizaion is that dysfunctional - then no QB is going to make them a winner.  The team is lost.

I think this idea that the Jets, as an organization, is incapable of developing a QB is just silly.  Hack and Petty are just bad players and poor draft choices - coaching had nothing to do with it.

I, for one, have faith in Bates to get whoever we draft ready and trun him into a star.

I hope you’re right. But I can only base my opinion on evidence and so far the Jets are 0 for 2.  I’m cautiously optimistic that this third time will be the charm. But let’s not act like Bates is some quarterback guru. He’s no quarterback whisperer like Bruce Arians or John DeFillipo as far as I know. I hope the Jets have the right guy. Time will tell. 

I reLly want no part of Allen. He requires development. I don’t believe sh*tty players develop into good ones. I think good players come in good, and get better with experience, but I stopped believing in the myth of coaching up years ago.

Rosen. The fact he’s s rich kid used to getting everything makes me like him more. Brady is the same way. He’s a rich a-hole used to having it all, and he goes and gets it.

Rosen requires no development. Just needs experience. He’s going to be very good.

Sure they all may be good. Rosen is the best scenario for a franchise known mostly for setting up players to fail.

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I reLly want no part of Allen. He requires development. I don’t believe sh*tty players develop into good ones. I think good players come in good, and get better with experience, but I stopped believing in the myth of coaching up years ago.

Rosen. The fact he’s s rich kid used to getting everything makes me like him more. Brady is the same way. He’s a rich a-hole used to having it all, and he goes and gets it.

Rosen requires no development. Just needs experience. He’s going to be very good.

Sure they all may be good. Rosen is the best scenario for a franchise known mostly for setting up players to fail.

Brady was a 6th round pick and has been on a mission to prove everyone wrong. You can't compare his situation to Rosen who will go top of the first round and has been told since high school that he's the chosen one.

As for liking all 4, I agree. I'll be happy with any of these guys. While they're all flawed, they all come with great upside. 

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What are the best examples of qbs taken early in drafts who did not do well in college and were coached up successfully?

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Brady was a 6th round pick and has been on a mission to prove everyone wrong. You can't compare his situation to Rosen who will go top of the first round and has been told since high school that he's the chosen one.

As for liking all 4, I agree. I'll be happy with any of these guys. While they're all flawed, they all come with great upside. 

Yes, I can compare them. Brady’s draft slot has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

We have all talked about hand size right? I am 5’11”. I say that because I have never hit 6’ even though I measure 5’ 11 and 3/4”.

Do a quick check on your hand size. The NFL asks their QBs to put their hands on a flat surface and measures thumb tip to pinky tip.

I did it and mine measured 9 and 3/8th inches. I have thrown a ball in the meadowlands parking lot in December and it is hard!

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What are the best examples of qbs taken early in drafts who did not do well in college and were coached up successfully?

Matthew Stafford had a 57pct comp rate in college and last year had a 67pct comp rate.

Matt Ryan had a59.3pct comp rate his senior year. In 2016 he had a 69.9pct comp rate.

The only people that think college QBs don't improve in the pros are hack-a-phobiacs.

1 hour ago, kthisguy said:

We have all talked about hand size right? I am 5’11”. I say that because I have never hit 6’ even though I measure 5’ 11 and 3/4”.

Do a quick check on your hand size. The NFL asks their QBs to put their hands on a flat surface and measures thumb tip to pinky tip.

I did it and mine measured 9 and 3/8th inches. I have thrown a ball in the meadowlands parking lot in December and it is hard!

Holy crap. I just measured my hand. I am also 5'11" and my hand size from pinky tip to thumb tip spread out on a flat surface was 9 and 3/8th's as well.No joking. I can honestly say, throwing the ball in the winter is a challenge. It does get slick to the touch.

That being said, I am going to root for whomever we draft. I am hoping for Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen or Allen. In that order.

6 hours ago, slats said:

I guess I'm in the similar boat that I don't love any of them, but I don't hate any of them, either. I'll support whoever they pick longer than most people here. For instance, I'd love to see Hackenberg play so well in the preseason that we question why the Jets even decided to draft a QB this year, and I'm looking forward to Geno taking over for Philip Rivers and getting the Chargers to the Super Bowl. 

Selecting Can'thackitberg was an atrocity

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So the Giants are going to surpass the Steelers with 7 Superbowl victories?!  Wow!

1qNVc.jpg

I know the answer but I am forbidden from discussing it.  Telling anyone about future events can have serious repercussions.

SAR I

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I like all 4 of the Top QB prospects. I think all of them will become franchise guys. and I think there's at least 2-4 others who can become solid starters and even franchuse guys themselves.

Because of that I can read all the speculation without fear. Personally I prefer Mayfield but will be happy with any of the others.

If we had stayed at 6, we would have be n shut out.

Anyone else with me ? I am super excited for the draft. I think we wind up with Darnold.

I like all 4 just fine also, and will root like hell for whomever the NYJ select.

I think the Jets have them rated Darnold, then Rosen or Allen, then Mayfield.  There's too much smoke being put out re: Mayfield at this point, which I believe is only there to attempt to get someone to trade up and take him rather than waiting because of the Jets 'interest'.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Jets are really interested in Mayfield and they're poor at keeping secrets?  Who knows.

I believe the Jets wanted one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen...hence the trade to 3.  I'm sure they have their 'rankings', and if someone jumps in front of them to take Mayfield, they get at least their second ranked guy, not third...

It'll be interesting to say the least..

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

I like all 4 just fine also, and will root like hell for whomever the NYJ select.

I think the Jets have them rated Darnold, then Rosen or Allen, then Mayfield.  There's too much smoke being put out re: Mayfield at this point, which I believe is only there to attempt to get someone to trade up and take him rather than waiting because of the Jets 'interest'.  Maybe I'm wrong and the Jets are really interested in Mayfield and they're poor at keeping secrets?  Who knows.

I believe the Jets wanted one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen...hence the trade to 3.  I'm sure they have their 'rankings', and if someone jumps in front of them to take Mayfield, they get at least their second ranked guy, not third...

It'll be interesting to say the least..

Pauline is a bit of a Jets insider. I believe they really do have them as Darnold then Mayfield. When they did the trade I think they thought there was no chance for  Darnold but I think there is now a chance he falls.

Agreed. I've seen all of them play and now... I'm content with whatever happens next. They each have warts of various kinds but at the end of the day I'll be happy to have a QB prospect with a high amount of potential on the team. Its exciting, I wont sweat getting one over the other.

I fall into a similar boat but I’d be lying if I’d say I’d be happy with Allen. I hope he is selected before us, I don’t care if he becomes a hall of famer elsewhere. Darnold and Mayfield would be my top 2 options. We’ve taken the traditional approach (big QB with high upside) I’m cool with getting the guy that analytics are drooling over. Give me Mayfield, I’m to the point I hope Darnold is taken 1 or 2 just so we have a reason to go Mayfield.

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There was one article about how Bates / Mayfield would be the ideal combo for us ... prior to reading that I'd been less enamoured with Mayfield, but the article made me feel a lot better about it if we do land him.

As far as QB goes I'm pretty much treating Bowles as an irrelevance; it'll be Bates that will make the difference in developing our guy.

16 hours ago, JiF said:

This is where I'm at.  I'd be upset at the Allen pick but you cant deny his upside. IMO he has the highest ceiling in the entire draft because there is so much about him that you just cant teach or develop, its just natural.  I just dont think this is the structure, or lack thereof, to get the best out of him but also realize none of the guys are going to be here 2 years from now and maybe they actually get someone in that could tap into his talent, so who knows.

I'm also convinced the Jets are taking Allen so I think I'm doing that thing where I talk myself into being ok with it even though deep down inside I know it's dumb as sh*t. 

I'm with you on your analysis. Allen has boom-bust potential for sure. But so does Darnold, despite the hype about his amazing talent and potential -- he's stilll a very young college gunslinger with ball security issues. Mayfield will likely hit a wall very quickly at the NFL level. Rosen will look good out of the gate, but we all know the injury concerns. Every one of these prospects is a gamble and will require good coaching. But again, we will at least have a potential franchise QB to work with. Haven't really had that for a long time.

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I like all 4 of the Top QB prospects. I think all of them have the potential to become franchise guys. and I think there's at least 2-4 others who can become solid starters and even franchuse guys themselves.

Because of that I can read all the speculation without fear. Personally I prefer Mayfield but will be happy with any of the others.

If we had stayed at 6, we would have be n shut out.

Anyone else with me ? I am super excited for the draft. I think we wind up with Darnold.

I would agree completely if you added in the bolded. 

The chances of all 4 actually becoming franchise QBs is slim to none but each of them has a better than 30% chance which is outstanding.

Anyone telling you which ones will is just guessing. 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

There was one article about how Bates / Mayfield would be the ideal combo for us ... prior to reading that I'd been less enamoured with Mayfield, but the article made me feel a lot better about it if we do land him.

As far as QB goes I'm pretty much treating Bowles as an irrelevance; it'll be Bates that will make the difference in developing our guy.

I'll be happy to have a QB with great accuracy, a good arm, confidence, and competitiveness. 

Anything beyond that will be gravy at this point. 

Now we have to wait for the draft. Then preseason, and probably for McCown to get the hook. 

It's going to be tough for most of us. I know there are some McCown fans out there but I've never seen one in their natural habitat. 

15 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

At this point, I’m almost rooting for the pick to be based more on entertainment value than win/loss potential.

In that sense, I have:

1. Baker, TD dances/sideline antics 

2. Allen, freak show deep balls

3. Darnold, Houdini routines

4. Rosen, smooth throwing motion = boring 

this 100 

Archived