Anyone else like all 4?

JohnnyLV

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I’m at. I could talk myself into anyone other than Allen—but I would have to talk myself into them, you know?

Yes, the key is talking yourself into it. This means after we pick our guy, we look only at the highlights (the good ones), and read only the positive reviews. This is definitely possible, even with Allen. With Allen, you can actually set your imagination to even higher plateaus, if you selectively choose the appropriate highlights and reviews and puff pieces.  So I cant wait for us to pick our guy, so Ii can watch tons of highlights, let my anticipation run wild,  and then.... the season starts....which is usually one heck of a reality check.

45 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Who are the surefire prospects of past years, that have actually panned out? A lot of people had a lot of questions on both Goff and Wentz, more on Wentz than Goff.

To quote the human pin cushion, most people are misremembering the quality of past QB drafts

I'd say the opposite. You're misremembering how good the consensus top picks have been. The issue is if a guy goes number 1 overall and he's not a hall of Famer people are dissapointed. In the last 30 years 15 of the #1 overall picks have been QBs.

Testaverde- More than solid. 21 years and made two pro bowls.

Aikman- All time great

George- Bustish. Long career but not successful

Bledsoe- Really good player. Multiple pro bowls. Borderline HOF.

P Manning-All time great

Couch-Bust

Vick- Great player. Potential hall of Famer

David Carr- Bust

Carson Palmer- Great player. Borderline hall of Famer

E Manning-Great player. Multiple SBs hall of Famer

Alex Smith- Consistent starter and solid player going on 13 years. Multiple pro bowls

Russel- Bust

Stafford- Multiple pro bowls franchise changer

Bradford- Wont call him a bust because hes been solid when healthy and his career is far from over. But dissapointing.

Newton- Great pick

Luck- Great pick. Instant star. If he gets healthy has HOF talent

Winston- too early to tell mostly because of how young he is. Early returns have been mediocre

Goff- also too early to tell but so far seems like a home run

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I like all 4 of the Top QB prospects. I think all of them will become franchise guys. and I think there's at least 2-4 others who can become solid starters and even franchuse guys themselves.

Because of that I can read all the speculation without fear. Personally I prefer Mayfield but will be happy with any of the others.

If we had stayed at 6, we would have be n shut out.

Anyone else with me ? I am super excited for the draft. I think we wind up with Darnold.

Love the optimism, but it's unlikely all 5 (I would expand this to include Jackson) are going to be winners. So there's a point in hedging your bets and deciding you really believe in. 

1 hour ago, burkett2112 said:

I'd say the opposite. You're misremembering how good the consensus top picks have been. The issue is if a guy goes number 1 overall and he's not a hall of Famer people are dissapointed. In the last 30 years 15 of the #1 overall picks have been QBs.

Testaverde- More than solid. 21 years and made two pro bowls.

Aikman- All time great

George- Bustish. Long career but not successful

Bledsoe- Really good player. Multiple pro bowls. Borderline HOF.

P Manning-All time great

Couch-Bust

Vick- Great player. Potential hall of Famer

David Carr- Bust

Carson Palmer- Great player. Borderline hall of Famer

E Manning-Great player. Multiple SBs hall of Famer

Alex Smith- Consistent starter and solid player going on 13 years. Multiple pro bowls

Russel- Bust

Stafford- Multiple pro bowls franchise changer

Bradford- Wont call him a bust because hes been solid when healthy and his career is far from over. But dissapointing.

Newton- Great pick

Luck- Great pick. Instant star. If he gets healthy has HOF talent

Winston- too early to tell mostly because of how young he is. Early returns have been mediocre

Goff- also too early to tell but so far seems like a home run

Vick, great player? Seriously? Potential HOF? I hope they legalize weed in NJ soon so people can stop breaking the law

Other than some insanity, your proving my exact point. The number of players who are universally agreed are can't miss prospects, AND PAN OUT, are very few and far between. It happens, but its extremely rare. Even Peyton was debated between the colossal bust Leaf.

Very few players are can't miss prospects, and hit. It happens once in a generation at most.

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Matthew Stafford had a 57pct comp rate in college and last year had a 67pct comp rate.

Matt Ryan had a59.3pct comp rate his senior year. In 2016 he had a 69.9pct comp rate.

The only people that think college QBs don't improve in the pros are hack-a-phobiacs.

Silly comparrisons. Both guys best year was over 60%. Allen has never sniffed 60% at any level in his entire life.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Don't really love any of the 4. 

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I’m at. I could talk myself into anyone other than Allen—but I would have to talk myself into them, you know?

Besides Rosen I agree with this. I can also easily see Jackson becoming the biggest star of the whole group. And if Lauletta goes to like, the Pats or Saints, that would raise a pretty big eyebrow of concern too. 

6 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

hell at this point i guess yes. watson was the guy tho. i have a feeling its either darnold or rosen. doubt giants take a qb, but the bills or some other sh*t team might trade with them

If the Bills trade up to 2 that's fine bc I'd think it's for Allen.

There are things I like about all 4 (actually all 5, as I like Jackson too), but there are also some things to be concerned about with all 5.

My preference is Mayfield or Darnold.

Mayfield grades highly on just about every metric, apart from height. But he is taller than Brees or Wilson, and just slightly shorter than guys like Favre or last year's high pick, Trubisky. He has shown he can overcome the height questions. Yes, the scheme stuff is a question but many college QBs play some kind of spread, quick rhythm passing scheme - you can't rule them out for that reason alone. Mayfield has the production, the accuracy, the arm, the leadership and the work ethic to be a franchise QB. He led his team into a hostile Ohio Stadium and beat the Buckeyes on a field where they almost never lose. Last time I checked, Ohio State play pretty good on D. Urban Meyer said that Mayfield took over the game, and played better than he had ever seen any QB play against the Buckeyes on their home field. Last time I checked, Urban Meyer was a pretty good coach who knows a thing or two about football.

Darnold is my 2nd choice.  He is not as good as Mayfield right now, but he has the higher upside.  He has all the tools to be an elite QB, top 5 in the NFL, but he will need some time - and he may not get there. It's not so long ago that we were tanking the season, or planning to trade 3 years worth of top picks, to land this guy.  He didn't become a bad prospect, he just hasn't developed as quickly as anticipated. The funky release and the turnovers are the big concerns, but he has the arm talent, the size, the cool head, and the quiet leadership to become a franchise QB. Will probably need to watch and learn for a while, but would benefit greatly from being in a QB room with guys like McCown and Bridgewater.

As to the other guys, Allen has the size, the all-world arm, the work ethic and the guts to be a terrific QB. The level of competition and the accuracy are serious and entirely legitimate concerns, and he has the biggest boom or bust potential of all the top QBs. Should we pick him, I will cross my fingers and pray that we can develop him properly. But, wow....we should all enjoy that arm wherever he goes. He seems like a good guy, so I wish him all the best - if he can reach his potential, he can be an incredible QB.

I'm less sold on Rosen than many others are.  I get that he is smart and technically very good, but he doesn't wow me. I think he will be good but never great, if he stays healthy. His arm is the weakest amongst the top QBs (it's not weak - he's not Steve Walsh or anything) - I think his arm is good, not upper tier. The injury issue is the big one. He's not mobile and seems less solidly built than the other guys - he has the potential to be frequently dinged up in the NFL. However, he won't bust, if healthy.

Jackson is being under-rated, and his lack of an agent may be a major factor here. Other guys have agents banging the drum for them, and feeding info and tales about how much teams love their guy to anyone that will listen. Jackson has himself and his mother. He has improved each year, running a pro style scheme, and is developing greater consistency as a passer. His athletic ability is obviously the best of the bunch, but it's passing skills that matter the most. If he gets onto the right team, where he can learn from a veteran guy (Chargers? Ravens? Cheatriots?) then watch out. He is another guy who could be an injury risk in the pros, especially if he continues to run the ball almost as much as he throws it.

Archived