Allen discusses his inaccuracy.

Mike135

Do we really want to spend the third overall pick on a guy just learning to throw accurately now?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/22/inaccuracy-talk-bugs-josh-allen/

Inaccuracy talk bugs Josh Allen

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2018, 10:22 AM EDT
Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has enjoyed the draft process. Well, most of it.

During a recent visit with PFT Live, Allen admitted that the amount of time that people have to talk about the draft on TV, radio, the Internet, etc. can become a little tiring. So I asked him what about the ongoing chatter regarding Josh Allen bugs him the most.

So why the low completion percentage?

“I think if you look at the film at the times that I did miss, my feet were jacked,” Allen said. “Going back to our offensive system I was asked to do a lot of things within our system. Threw the ball downfield a lot. I am the one to admit that I didn’t put the ball where it needed to be all the time. But, you know, given the circumstances that we had in Wyoming, we won two back-to-back eight-win seasons. It was a place where we ended up winning football games. I think that I helped out in that manner putting the team in the best position to win football games.”

Others have explained the situation in similar fashion, and others have the freedom to say that maybe Allen’s receivers weren’t sufficiently skilled to catch his throws more often. Allen won’t say that; instead, he freely admits that he consistently didn’t put the ball where it needed to be. While that’s a fair concern, the fact that he won’t blame any of it on his receivers is a sign that he is and will be a good teammate at the next level, which is an underrated aspect of whether and to what extent his NFL teammates will want to embrace him — or whether they’ll want to punch him in the face.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been dead set against Allen but if we do chose him I'll be pumped to have him on our team.  I mean how bad can he actually be.  He does have many redeeming qualities after all: size, arm, smarts, leadership on/off field, others.  So I'm finally completely neutral on which QB we select.  Bring on the draft, baby, we're getting a QB.  

I don't like the circumstances comment or the offense comment 

I don't see why palmer helping him is an issue tho. Palmer works with draft prospects, he isn't going to work with sophomores. 

Something that doesn't get discussed that concerns me is how bad his line was with respect to the accuracy and foot work. 

Will he have happy feet? Can he fix it? 

This kid has crushed the pre draft process, but these comments are a bit of a wet blanket tbh 

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I've been dead set against Allen but if we do chose him I'll be pumped to have him on our team.  I mean how bad can he actually be.  He does have many redeeming qualities after all: size, arm, smarts, leadership on/off field, others.  So I'm finally completely neutral on which QB we select.  Bring on the draft, baby, we're getting a QB.  

How bad can he be? In 3 career starts against power 5 schools 48-97 456 Yards 1 TD and 8 INTs.

He can be REALLY bad.

23 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Of course I'll support the kid too.  Just don't understand why Macc would take the guy just learning to be accurate weeks before the draft.

To be honest I’ve Killed Allen for his inaccuracy for over a year now. I think that the issue was semi-overblown. 

What I find to be a killer for him is what was said in orlovsky’s evaluation. Basically said that Allen cannot read defense/process information. We’ve just seen that in Sanchez and geno. No thanks. Of course orlovsky could also be wrong

Just now, BrickTamland said:

To be honest I’ve Killed Allen for his inaccuracy for over a year now. I think that the issue was semi-overblown.

Accuracy issues can never be overblown.  It's the one skill a QB prospect simply HAS to have entering the league, and cannot be learned.  If he hasn't proven to be accurate by now, he won't be accurate at the next level.  Not one time in history has this statement been proven to be incorrect.

That's not someone you want to pin your franchise hopes on.  

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And we have a winner

And it's not like he was under duress in all of those clips.  2/5 he had a clean pocket.  And on 2 of the others, he made an athletic move to escape pressure, which is nice.  But then he made absolutely awful decisions.  

I understand the concerns over Allen's accuracy...believe me I do...

but comparing completion percentage #'s between teams running pro-style O's vs Air Raid/Spread O's isn't an exact extrapolation.  In fact, it's worthless IMO.

Each needs to be judged within their own system and circumstances.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

“I think if you look at the film at the times that I did miss, my feet were jacked,” Allen said. “Going back to our offensive system I was asked to do a lot of things within our system. Threw the ball downfield a lot. I am the one to admit that I didn’t put the ball where it needed to be all the time. But, you know, given the circumstances that we had in Wyoming, we won two back-to-back eight-win seasons. It was a place where we ended up winning football games. I think that I helped out in that manner putting the team in the best position to win football games.”

The Hackenberg Defense. Always works.

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

but comparing completion percentage #'s between teams running pro-style O's vs Air Raid/Spread O's isn't an exact extrapolation.  In fact, it's worthless IMO.

If Allen played for Oklahoma in air raid with all that talent he’d be getting drafted over Darnold at 1.  If Baker played for Wyoming he wouldn’t be a 7th round pick

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

But comparing completion percentage #'s between teams running pro-style O's vs Air Raid/Spread O's isn't an exact extrapolation.  In fact, it's worthless IMO.

This was the Christian Hackenberg argument.  It didn't work. 

Having a high completion % in college guarantees you nothing.  Everyone gets this.

But having a low completion % historically means you will be a failure, outside of a couple guys from like 20+ years ago. 

I don't want to be the franchise that rolls those dice.  Especially since we've had far too many QB's in our history with accuracy and decision-making concerns already.  

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

come on.  you can find countless plays like this from every QB thats ever played the game. 

Sure.  But this one completed under 60 % of his throws, so its very relevant.  

The question was how bad can Allen be?  That bad.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Having a high completion % in college guarantees you nothing.  Everyone gets this.

But having a low completion % historically means you will be a failure, outside of a couple guys from like 20+ years ago. 

I don't want to be the franchise that rolls those dice.  Especially since we've had far too many QB's in our history with accuracy and decision-making concerns already.  

Except Joe Montana and Brett Favre both had lower completion percentages than Allen in college

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Joe Montana and Brett Favre both had lower completion percentages than Allen in college

Reading comprehension. 

Very different game then.  

12 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You’re not comparing Allen’s completion percentage to Mayfield’s. You’re comparing it to every QB drafted in the last twenty years.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But this one completed under 60 % of his throws, so its very relevant.  

The question was how bad can Allen be?  That bad.  

well. if that's as bad as it gets im in.  trying to make a play while under immense pressure, without anyone open. 

fix the decision making and im fine.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DesertedBitterCow-max-1mb.gif

IllegalSneakyIrrawaddydolphin-size_restr

TallMetallicBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

9bf599_d1faedb66ade4ff5aa1f1cb5fb90e90d~

josh-allen-int-huh.gif?w=532&h=298

Looks like the type of qb play we've had since Pennington left. NO THANK YOU. I believe when it comes down to it, Allen is going to slide slide slippidy slide. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You’re not comparing Allen’s completion percentage to Mayfield’s. You’re comparing it to every QB drafted in the last twenty years.

Jay Cutler had about the same completion percentage playing in a similar situation as Allen in college

Archived