Allen discusses his inaccuracy.

Mike135

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

well. if that's as bad as it gets im in.  trying to make a play while under immense pressure, without anyone open. 

fix the decision making and im fine.

It gets worse.  There are plenty of other throws where he misses wide open receivers from under 10 yards away or the 10-20 range.  I just don't have gifs of them.  But they're readily available.

Inaccuracy doesn't get fixed.  Bad decision making rarely gets fixed.  You can't have problems with BOTH and expect to be successful in this league.  And if he manages to be the outlier, all the credit to him.  I just don't want to be the franchise that has to let the guy sit and learn and figure it out.  

Not really. thats just a line people like to use for some reason. Favre was very much a modern day QB.  and both he and Montana would thrive in todays NFL

Cool.  So the fact that no QB prospect since the 80s/early 90s has had success despite having a completion under 60 % in college doesn't worry you at all.  Got it.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

If I could trust the coaches to develop a QB then sure....but where’s the evidence that’s possible in the history of this organization?

gimme Rosen or Baker 

This is the thing right here: if they do draft Allen, who is the coach they can get to replace Bowles that might be able to develop Allen? 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It gets worse.  There are plenty of other throws where he misses wide open receivers from under 10 yards away or the 10-20 range.  I just don't have gifs of them.  But they're readily available.

Inaccuracy doesn't get fixed.  Bad decision making rarely gets fixed.  You can't have problems with BOTH and expect to be successful in this league.  And if he manages to be the outlier, all the credit to him.  I just don't want to be the franchise that has to let the guy sit and learn and figure it out.  

this is where I should get into a semantics arguemnt - he's acutally not partculalry innacurate if you watch his game film vs. the others.  in fact, he often puts the ball exactly where it needs to be.  He makes bad decisions sometimes, doesn't have enough touch as you would like to see - but this idea that he's wildly innacurate is simply false.

Please go back and watch his film...his recivers don't get separation.

put Mayfield on that team and he wouldn't even be mentioned in the top 4 rounds.

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

Looks like the type of qb play we've had since Pennington left. NO THANK YOU. I believe when it comes down to it, Allen is going to slide slide slippidy slide. 

I hope he doesn't slide.  I hope he gets take 1 or 2, to save us from ourselves.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hope he doesn't slide.  I hope he gets take 1 or 2, to save us from ourselves.

Me too! And to give us a chance at the top 2, but my gut tells me no one is staking their careers on this guy. He flat out sucks and won't be good. 

Cool.  So the fact that no QB prospect since the 80s/early 90s has had success despite having a completion under 60 % in college doesn't worry you at all.  Got it.

This is a very unque set of circumstances...A freak talent like this typcially doesn't end up in Juco and at Wyoming.

Put him on a team that gives him time and receivers that get open once in a while...

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Accuracy issues can never be overblown.  It's the one skill a QB prospect simply HAS to have entering the league, and cannot be learned.  If he hasn't proven to be accurate by now, he won't be accurate at the next level.  Not one time in history has this statement been proven to be incorrect.

That's not someone you want to pin your franchise hopes on.  

Wut. I’m saying that his detractors including me have exaggerated how bad his accuracy is. 

I would still agree that he is not as accurate as other very good prospects in the past. 

im more worried about his “processor” so to speak.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

This is a very unque set of circumstances...A freak talent like this typcially doesn't end up in Juco and at Wyoming.

Put him on a team that gives him time and receivers that get open once in a while...

Hackenberg was a unique set of circumstances too. 

Reading comprehension. 
Very different game then.  

Not different at all. BYU and Houston Cougars were running a similar offense back then. Ever heard of Ty Detmer, Andre Ware or David Kilngler? Basically the Baker Mayfields of the 1990s. 1980s had similar QBs with a twist of wishbone QBs that had high completion percentages because they threw 10 passes a game. Completion percentage does not equal accuracy. If it did they would be drafted in order of this statistic every year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

what does that even mean? if you're coverend you're coverned.

No, it's not.  Countless times we've seen good QB's throw to covered receivers, but put the ball in the right place.  Say, over the shoulder while the CB's back is turned.  

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Not different at all. BYU and Houston Cougars were running a similar offense back then. Ever heard of Ty Detmer, Andre Ware or David Kilngler? Basically the Baker Mayfields of the 1990s. 1980s had similar QBs with a twist of wishbone QBs that had high completion percentages because they threw 10 passes a game. Completion percentage does not equal accuracy. If it did they would be drafted in order of this statistic every year.

That’s the troubling thing is Russell Wilson has made undersized qbs trendy.  If it wasn’t for Wilson a guy like Baker Mayfield would be a 4th round pick

No, it's not.  Countless times we've seen good QB's throw to covered receivers, but put the ball in the right place.  Say, over the shoulder while the CB's back is turned.  

He's actually made plenty of throws just like that....we're talking about one or two completions a week that would put him over 60% - it's just silly.

but you will concede a QB with receivers open more often should have a better completion % than one that doesnt'?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

but you will concede a QB with receivers open more often should have a better completion % than one that doesnt'?

I'm saying that eventually that excuse falls on deaf ears.  For years we were told that receivers "never got separation" when guys like Sanchez or Geno were QB, even though that wasn't true.  It's a lame excuse for inaccuracy.  For every receiver that wasn't open, there was an instance of a WR being wide open and Allen still missing him.  

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

this is where I should get into a semantics arguemnt - he's acutally not partculalry innacurate if you watch his game film vs. the others.  in fact, he often puts the ball exactly where it needs to be.  He makes bad decisions sometimes, doesn't have enough touch as you would like to see - but this idea that he's wildly innacurate is simply false.

Please go back and watch his film...his recivers don't get separation.

put Mayfield on that team and he wouldn't even be mentioned in the top 4 rounds.

That's my point as well I suppose...I understand the concerns with Allen, I just feel people here are WAY to quick to discount him as a viable option as an NFL QB...and a lot of that is because of #'s put up at WYO of all places.

The hard part is separating out what is intrinsic to Allen himself and what can reasonable be attributed to some degree to his football situation.  Part of me also asks, 'what would the other top QB's stats look like if they had played at WYO last year?' 

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

So where there is a correlation there is causation? Because if so take a look at the past few high percentage QBs to play for OU.

Already addressed that earlier in the thread.  High completion % guarantees you nothing at the next level.  But LOW completion % is a death knell for a QB prospect.  

Wait til Baker throws 4-5 picks and we get blown out by the pats.  I think NY might feel a little different than hanging out at the frat parties in Norman

Wait until the first series when this page is loaded with the following threads

“Baker looks like a shrimp”

“Who throws harder Baker or Tim Wakefield”

“Atleast Chad Pennington had timing”

And finally

“Maybe if Baker didnt have his posse following him around during warm ups he would know the WCO by now”

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I've been dead set against Allen but if we do chose him I'll be pumped to have him on our team.  I mean how bad can he actually be.  He does have many redeeming qualities after all: size, arm, smarts, leadership on/off field, others.  So I'm finally completely neutral on which QB we select.  Bring on the draft, baby, we're getting a QB.  

I'm glad to hear someone on this board will be positive. Most that I see posting will hate whomever we pick.  Some people just love to be miserable.

Archived