Allen discusses his inaccuracy.

Mike135

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

That's my point as well I suppose...I understand the concerns with Allen, I just feel people here are WAY to quick to discount him as a viable option as an NFL QB...and a lot of that is because of #'s put up at WYO of all places.

The hard part is separating out what is intrinsic to Allen himself and what can reasonable be attributed to some degree to his football situation.  Part of me also asks, 'what would the other top QB's stats look like if they had played at WYO last year?' 

An equally valid question:  Why couldn't he complete 60+ % against Mountain West defenses?

That argument should cut both ways, no?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Project QB with accuracy problems, who had every excuse in the book made for them.  

Hackenburg was a 2nd round draft pick that was over drafted - most had as a 3rd or 4th round prospect.

Allen is considered by almost everyone a top 5 talent - with many having him 1 overall.

They are so different that this arguement is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Hackenburg was a 2nd round draft pick that was over drafted - most had as a 3rd or 4th round prospect.

Allen is considered by almost everyone a top 5 talent - with many having him 1 overall.

Who cares?  I'm tired of making "consensus" picks.  Jamal Adams was supposed to be a top 5 talent.  If we traded him today, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares?  I'm tired of making "consensus" picks.  Jamal Adams was supposed to be a top 5 talent.  If we traded him today, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him.

it's simply for the purposes of comparisons you're trying to make - making a comparision of two people they have to be considered similar talents - they weren't. 

just being tall and having a low completion % isn't enough.

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

You know better than I do that even if we win, there'll be some miserable posters who will find a way to nit pick it till it's a negative.

Sure, but this idea that we'll hate whichever QB we draft, even if he's successful, we'll be miserable.  If we take Josh Allen and he ends up proving me wrong, I'll be ecstatic.  

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They really aren't. They were both bad college football players who were overrated based on physical characteristics rather than any kind of track record of success. They both have rocket arms but throw six yard swings passes into the dirt. Josh Allen hasn't been a good quarterback at any level. Drafting him is a shot in the dark that Jeremy Bates can take his skills and translate them into success.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

simply wrong - 

and Jamal Adams, by almost everyone other than Jet Nation posters - agree he had a solid rookie season.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

An equally valid question:  Why couldn't he complete 60+ % against Mountain West defenses?

That argument should cut both ways, no?

Not really...because he was still in the same system with the same receivers.

Listen...Allen is #3 on my board..I'd rather have Darnold or Rosen personally...

But if I have a choice between Baker or Allen, I'm taking Allen..purely on the upside potential and because I think Baker and Allen both have 'high bust' potential.  Sure, maybe Mayfield sticks around like Chase Daniel as a long-term backup, but I ain't looking for that at #3.

Just amazed at the severe hate for a potential pick of Allen at #3..sure, maybe you, like me, want someone else, but I don't hate on Allen.  I'd still be hopeful and excited if he's the guy.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but this idea that we'll hate whichever QB we draft, even if he's successful, we'll be miserable.  If we take Josh Allen and he ends up proving me wrong, I'll be ecstatic.  

There will still be people who won't be happy, even if we win a Super Bowl.  Glad to hear you're not in that population.

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Really?  We got a second for Sheldon.

So getting a late-2nd out of a mid-1st = win?

It helped us get up to # 3, so it worked out fairly well.  But there was a time Sheldon was supposed to be our best player.  

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

There will still be people who won't be happy, even if we win a Super Bowl.  Glad to hear you're not in that population.

We haven't won one since 1969, so it's hard to make that argument.  There weren't message boards then.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They really aren't. They were both bad college football players who were overrated based on physical characteristics rather than any kind of track record of success. They both have rocket arms but throw six yard swings passes into the dirt. Josh Allen hasn't been a good quarterback at any level. Drafting him is a shot in the dark that Jeremy Bates can take his skills and translate them into success.

Go back and watch the combine and compare Rosen vs. Allen on swing passes.  Rosen was miserable and Allen rock solid.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

As a PSU fan who watched every Hack snap I can tell you they are wildly similar. Allen is just in a bigger shinier box. Dont forget before his last year at Penn State there were still people saying he had the potential to go first overall.

They both make bad decisions. They both have horrendous footwork, low completion percentage and poor offensive output in general, both missed simple throws with lazy mechanics. Lastly and most importantly both were completely lost when under pressure.

I think I’m just going to put myself into a medically induced coma until Thursday night.

Beating the same dead horses over and over again everyday for a month now.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield...I don’t really give a sh*t.

Just pick one so I can at least have some kind of hope for the future of this team.

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Cutler played in the toughest conference in CFB, Allen played at Walk On U.

Cutler did play in the toughest conference in CFB...along with team mates that were similarly recruited to play in that conference.

WYO playing OR, IA and NE  would be kinda like VAN playing an extra 3 games each season against AL (most of them in Tuscaloosa).

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think I’m just going to put myself into a medically induced coma until Thursday night.

Beating the same dead horses over and over again everyday for a month now.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield...I don’t really give a sh*t.

Just pick one so I can at least have some kind of hope for the future of this team.

eh...it's all in good fun at this point!

We're going to have a shiny new QB in less than 100 hours!

I'll be all in on any of them!

Archived