Allen discusses his inaccuracy.

Mike135

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, burkett2112 said:

As a PSU fan who watched every Hack snap I can tell you they are wildly similar. Allen is just in a bigger shinier box. Dont forget before his last year at Penn State there were still people saying he had the potential to go first overall.

They both make bad decisions. They both have horrendous footwork, low completion percentage and poor offensive output in general, both missed simple throws with lazy mechanics. Lastly and most importantly both were completely lost when under pressure.

I'm a huge PSU fan too.  Let's not forget Hack was never rated a first rounder this close to the draft.  As stated here many felt he should have been a 4th rounder.  So you'd be hard pressed to say they are the same guy and that the outcome will be the same.  Favre was a 52% passer in college and is a hall of farmer now.

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

I'm a huge PSU fan too.  Let's not forget Hack was never rated a first rounder this close to the draft.  As stated here many felt he should have been a 4th rounder.  So you'd be hard pressed to say they are the same guy and that the outcome will be the same.  Favre was a 52% passer in college and is a hall of farmer now.

Who's been successful since then?  Are we banking on him being the first Favre-ian result in over 20 years?

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think years worth of game footage is more valuable than an exhibition in shorts and t-shirts, but put stock in what you want.

Ok then watch Josh Allen light up a bunch of players he will absolutely be playing against in the nfl

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm sorry but talking bout guys who played college ball 20+ years ago like their completion percentage is relevant to today's game is crazy.

And acting like its a common occurrence.  lol.  

Hundreds, even thousands, of QB prospects who failed vs........one example, Brett Favre.

I take it none here were Math Majors?

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And then watch Mayfield go 3-7 for 9 yards get sacked and have a pass batted down in the same game facing 100% guys who will all be in the nfl

LOL half of Allen's plays were him scrambling after being baffled by the coverage or checking down to the tight end. And I assure you, the Ohio State and UGA defenses have more NFL players on them than the Senior Bowl defense. Half those guys are just four year guys hoping to be invited to camp.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL half of Allen's plays were him scrambling after being baffled by the coverage or checking down to the tight end. And I assure you, the Ohio State and UGA defense has more NFL players on it than the Senior Bowl defense. Half those guys are just four year guys hoping to be invited to camp.

Josh Allen is too mobile now

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We haven't won one since 1969, so it's hard to make that argument.  There weren't message boards then.

Here are three games in which he didn't complete 60%, now did he really have bad game?

Third one vs Airforce won't upload.

5 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I've heard the Favre argument before. It's a non starter. Favre played college football in the 80s. Offenses weren't nearly as well crafted, rules were not set up to favor passing offenses like they are now. Montana and Marino were in the 50s too. Just a different game.

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The same GM who keeps Hack on the roster, yep.

Mac drafted Petty, Hack,signed the gimp Bridgewater and bid against himself for Ryan Fitzpatrick now traded up for the Hobbit

Fun times

12 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Here are three games in which he didn't complete 60%, now did he really have bad game?

Third one vs Airforce won't upload.

People really underestimate just how sh*tty of a supporting cast he had last season.

Just look at the Potato Bowl against Central Michigan. His receivers are completely blanketed on damn near every pass attempt. Can’t even get an inch of separation against Chippewa DB’s.

There’s no denying that he’s a risk...but so is Mayfield. So is Rosen. So is Darnold.

Difference is, if every last one of these guys were to reach the peak of their potential, Allen would laugh down from his mountain at their asses, Crom-style.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Difference is, if every last one of these guys were to reach the peak of their potential, Allen would laugh down from his mountain at their asses, Crom-style.

See, I think there's some truth to this. I just believe the odds that Josh Allen reaches his maximum potential are very small. Like, less than 5% small. QBs with his profile just never work out.

I get why people hate or are skeptical of the other QBs. But guys whose overall body of work is on par with Allen just never become good players.

So the real question is "with the future of the franchise in the balance are we taking a guy with a 5% chance to become all world? Or a guy with a 50% chance to become very good?" It's an easy choice for me, but obviously I have pretty strong convictions about Allen.

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

People really underestimate just how sh*tty of a supporting cast he had last season.

Just look at the Potato Bowl against Central Michigan. His receivers are completely blanketed on damn near every pass attempt. Can’t even get an inch of separation against Chippewa DB’s.

There’s no denying that he’s a risk...but so is Mayfield. So is Rosen. So is Darnold.

Crom lol

24 minutes ago, burkett2112 said:

I've heard the Favre argument before. It's a non starter. Favre played college football in the 80s. Offenses weren't nearly as well crafted, rules were not set up to favor passing offenses like they are now. Montana and Marino were in the 50s too. Just a different game.

Show your math 

Find the average college completion percentage for 25 QBs taken in the first round or so in the 80s 

If it's under 60 %, your point stands 

Otherwise you need to find a better explanation 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Which is why he is not. If we stayed at 6 and that was all that was left, maybe Mac picks him.

If we stayed at 6 Mac would have drafted the same exact player he just traded 3 2nds and a 1st for, Shorty Mayfield 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

And Mayfield was 3 of 7 for 9 yards facing nothing but guys he will be seeing in the nfl at the senior bowl

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I love how this guy is now considered an expert because he sucked Mayfield’s balls

E024C21E-6900-4C05-8AC6-C45143AF43F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If Allen played for Oklahoma in air raid with all that talent he’d be getting drafted over Darnold at 1.  If Baker played for Wyoming he wouldn’t be a 7th round pick

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

That’s the troubling thing is Russell Wilson has made undersized qbs trendy.  If it wasn’t for Wilson a guy like Baker Mayfield would be a 4th round pick

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Or Josh Heupel, or Geno, or every crappy Big 12 qb who has busted in the nfl last 20 years which is virtually all of them

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Wait til Baker throws 4-5 picks and we get blown out by the pats.  I think NY might feel a little different than hanging out at the frat parties in Norman

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Geno Smith 71% completion percentage playing in the same system and same conference how did he not extrapolate that accuracy to the nfl?

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And then watch Mayfield go 3-7 for 9 yards get sacked and have a pass batted down in the same game facing 100% guys who will all be in the nfl

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mac drafted Petty, Hack,signed the gimp Bridgewater and bid against himself for Ryan Fitzpatrick now traded up for the Hobbit

Fun times

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

If we stayed at 6 Mac would have drafted the same exact player he just traded 3 2nds and a 1st for, Shorty Mayfield 

I swore this thread was about Josh Allen.

The truth is in the details. You love Baker Mayfield. 

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

See, I think there's some truth to this. I just believe the odds that Josh Allen reaches his maximum potential are very small. Like, less than 5% small. QBs with his profile just never work out.

I get why people hate or are skeptical of the other QBs. But guys whose overall body of work is on par with Allen just never become good players.

So the real question is "with the future of the franchise in the balance are we taking a guy with a 5% chance to become all world? Or a guy with a 50% chance to become very good?" It's an easy choice for me, but obviously I have pretty strong convictions about Allen.

I wouldn’t be that pessimistic about the odds.

And frankly, I haven’t been waiting over 40 years for this moment just to favor the Jets going with the “safe” pick and take the guy whose upside is a “good” or “solid” starter.

Go big or go home

If Allen pans out, he could literally end up having a HOF type career.

If he busts...well...then we’re in the same position that we’ve basically always been in. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t be that pessimistic about the odds.

And frankly, I haven’t been waiting over 40 years for this moment just to favor the Jets going with the “safe” pick and take the guy whose upside is a “good” or “solid” starter.

Go big or go home

If Allen pans out, he could literally end up having a HOF type career.

If he busts...well...then we’re in the same position that we’ve basically always been in. 

But he will bust. He will.

Just now, Philc1 said:

Oh right I forgot football didn’t involve quarterbacks throwing to wide receivers back then

c'mon, back when favre and montana played the rb was still one of the premier positions on offense.  the game has changed.  joe willie had an excellent receiving corp but barely broke 50%.

Archived