After QB, Jets Have to Give Defense an Edge

JetNation

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F*ck the defense.  Tell Bowles to figure it out with what he has.

O-Line, O-Line, O-Line, O-Line, O-Line.  Take 6 of em if you have to.  

Agreed. We've signed and drafted receivers up the wazoo and defense has had premium picks all the way. Lets draft 2 x Oline.

2 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

The defense doesn't have an edge and it certainly isn't going to create one in this draft. Mac is just like democrats in this world. Democrats rob Peter just so they can pay Paul. Mac went all in at QB  just so he could neglect the OL and DL. How in the world are the Jets going to have a decent running game? How are they going to defend the run with this shell of a DL and undersized, little guy linebackers? The answer is they're not.

Yeah, so maybe you don't know but there is a no politics rule here. You blasting 50% of the population isn't what people come here for. So kindly avoid this stuff in the future.

Edjifor from Wake Forest and Okrono-can’t spell or pronounce his name from Oklahoma are the 2 Edge guys I’d love to look at come the 3rd round. I’m sure there are a few other but I think those 2 have a shot at being there.

Outside of those players I can definitely get on board with OL OL OL

14 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Usually I’d agree with this, but if Sweat starts to drop, I’d be willing to trade back into the 2nd to get him. 

Agreed. The only way the Jets have a shot at a legit edge is to somehow get back into the 2nd. With Maccs history I wouldn't hold my breath.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Agreed. The only way the Jets have a shot at a legit edge is to somehow get back into the 2nd. With Maccs history I wouldn't hold my breath.

We could have just stayed at 6 and taken Davenport who is the best edge rusher in the draft and a natural 3-4 OLB and then taken Lauletta in round 2 as qb

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We could have just stayed at 6 and taken Davenport who is the best edge rusher in the draft and a natural 3-4 OLB and then taken Lauletta in round 2 as qb

6 would have been way to early to take Davenport. Lauetta may be a decent pick but I think Macc would pass on him. Not saying I would but it's Macc we are talking about here.

15 hours ago, derp said:

Only way I want EDGE considered this draft is if it’s an elite athlete. Josh Sweat if he’s there in the third for example. 

Given that hasn’t been Maccagnan’s MO with edge guys at all...would much rather go in a different direction. Offensive line or tight end would be ideal focal points for the round 3-5 range. I wouldn’t be surprised if another 5-tech ends up in the mix.

Agree, we need someone with explosion and quick twitch to complement the solidity of guys like Jordan Jenkins but they go very early for obvious reasons....Jeff Holland might fall into that category and could be around at 72. I also think Mata’afa would be a heist if he was around in the 4th or 5th

16 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It’s like people have never even heard of Lorenzo Mauldin

The thought of being able to go “ Hercules” “Hercules” “Hercules” on every third down play is worth a fifth round flyer. “ Lorenzo in his Benzo” moniker, much like the player,  never held up. 

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We certainly could have but Im not 100% sure someone isn’t going to jump up for him late in the first. I really think he’s the guy the Pats go laye first round for.

Be interesting if he is there for either of our second rounders we gave up. Hell, maybe Colts take him with one of the pics  we have them!

Absolutely not.

Let me remind folks:

Offensive Ranks (Points/Yards):
2017 - 24th/28th
2016 - 30th/26th
2015 - 11th/10th (lone decent year, Fitzmagic.)
2014 - 28th/22nd
2013 - 29th/25th
2012 - 28th/30th

Conversely, the Jets Defense has been Top 11 in Yards allowed 8 out of the last 9 season, with only last year being total sh*t (Bowles team showing continued decline in defensive production).

The Offense of this franchise has been begging for help for most of the past 20 years.  In that span, we've been top 10 only twice.  2015, as noted.

And 1998, the Vinny Year.

That's it.  

So no, hell no, to yet "moar defense!" after we draft QB.  

The modern NFL is an offense-driven league.  It's not 1973 anymore.

How about for once we start demanding our team be run like a 2018 Franchise, not that old 1973 franchise?

It's amazing that there is a revelation  that we need a pass rusher when this front office has had 3 drafts to get one.

No legit pass rusher

Almost no olienman and certainly no LT to replace D'Brick

No #1 CB prospect

No dynamic Wr

No dynamic RB

However they have drafted positions high that are the easiest to fill with mid to late rounders and via FA

Just an assclown plan of how to build a team of you ask me.

Mac had better come up with some huge gems in this draft other than the QB at #3

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's amazing that there is a revelation  that we need a pass rusher when this front office has had 3 drafts to get one.

No legit pass rusher

Almost no olienman and certainly no LT to replace D'Brick

No #1 CB prospect

No dynamic Wr

No dynamic RB

However they have drafted positions high that are the easiest to fill with mid to late rounders and via FA

Just an assclown plan of how to build a team of you ask me.

Mac had better come up with some huge gems in this draft other than the QB at #3

this is what happens when you don't draft for need.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Absolutely not.

Let me remind folks:

Offensive Ranks (Points/Yards):
2017 - 24th/28th
2016 - 30th/26th
2015 - 11th/10th (lone decent year, Fitzmagic.)
2014 - 28th/22nd
2013 - 29th/25th
2012 - 28th/30th

Conversely, the Jets Defense has been Top 11 in Yards allowed 8 out of the last 9 season, with only last year being total sh*t (Bowles team showing continued decline in defensive production).

The Offense of this franchise has been begging for help for most of the past 20 years.  In that span, we've been top 10 only twice.  2015, as noted.

And 1998, the Vinny Year.

That's it.  

So no, hell no, to yet "moar defense!" after we draft QB.  

The modern NFL is an offense-driven league.  It's not 1973 anymore.

How about for once we start demanding our team be run like a 2018 Franchise, not that old 1973 franchise?

The Jets took 3 receiving options in 3 straight rounds last year from the 3-5th.  Steward, Hansen, Leggett and McGuire in the 6th.  Plus they have 17 WR's on the roster right now, brought in Spencer and Crowell too pair with Powell. 

Are you saying lets do that again or are you screaming for some late round OL talent?  Because otherwise, going skillz again seems redundant, especially at WR.  I could see a RB or maybe a TE somewhere in the later rounds but I wouldnt anticipate a heavy offensive draft after the first pick.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets took 3 receiving options in 3 straight rounds last year from the 3-5th.  Steward, Hansen, Leggett and McGuire in the 6th.  Plus they have 17 WR's on the roster right now, brought in Spencer and Crowell too pair with Powell.[/quote]

Not one a meaningful starter.  McGuire looks to have some use to-date, the others all either busts or unknowns as yet.  And "17 WR's is a meaningless point, not one of them is a legitimate NFL #1 WR, and most of the 17 won't see an NFL roster in 2018.

Bad picks and failures to improve should lead to firings.  

In our case, they led to contract extensions.

Are you saying lets do that again or are you screaming for some late round OL talent?  Because otherwise, going skillz again seems redundant, especially at WR.  I could see a RB or maybe a TE somewhere in the later rounds but I wouldnt anticipate a heavy offensive draft after the first pick.  

I'm saying we are amongst the very worst offensive teams in the NFL over the past 20 years.  Consistently bad.

I (as a fan) demand my favorite team fix it, and stop operating as a 2018 team, and not as a 1973 team.

I'm not here to quibble about which offensive positions to pick in round 6, I leave that the draft obsessives.

I'm saying fix this dogsh*t offense for a change, and not throw more resources at what has been, generally, a top end Defense the past 20 years while the O languished as one of the leagues consistently worst.

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not one a meaningful starter.  McGuire looks to have some use to-date, the others all either busts or unknowns as yet.  And "17 WR's is a meaningless point, not one of them is a legitimate NFL #1 WR, and most of the 17 won't see an NFL roster in 2018.

Bad picks and failures to improve should lead to firings.  

In our case, they led to contract extensions.

I'm saying we are amongst the very worst offensive teams in the NFL over the past 20 years.  Consistently bad.

I (as a fan) demand my favorite team fix it, and stop operating as a 2018 team, and not as a 1973 team.

I'm not here to quibble about which offensive positions to pick in round 6, I leave that the draft obsessives.

I'm saying fix this dogsh*t offense for a change, and not throw more resources at what has been, generally, a top end Defense the past 20 years while the O languished as one of the leagues consistently worst.

I think we both know the quickest way to fixing the offense is to hit on #3.  But in general, I get what you're saying but what you're screaming about/for is exactly what they did last draft with Stewart-Hansen-Leggett-McGuire.  So your demand to fix it and how it would happen this year, literally happened last year.  So you're trusting the same regime to take the same exact strategy and just hoping for different results in what I think is a much weaker class.

I do like some of the RB talent that could be available come round 3 but I dont think there will be too many solid WR's or TE's available.  I think the more important thing for the Jets to do in round 3 and beyond, is to find an actual Football player.  Position or O vs. D, be damned.  This team sucks, lets just get some talent in here at any position! 

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think we both know the quickest way to fixing the offense is to hit on #3.  But in general, I get what you're saying but what you're screaming about/for is exactly what they did last draft with Stewart-Hansen-Leggett-McGuire.  So your demand to fix it and how it would happen this year, literally happened last year.  So you're trusting the same regime to take the same exact strategy and just hoping for different results in what I think is a much weaker class.

I do like some of the RB talent that could be available come round 3 but I dont think there will be too many solid WR's or TE's available.  I think the more important thing for the Jets to do in round 3 and beyond, is to find an actual Football player.  Position or O vs. D, be damned.  This team sucks, lets just get some talent in here at any position! 

Let me be very clear, I don't "entrust" this current administration with anything.  If I had had my way they both would have been fired this current offseason.

Since they were not, I demand (as a fan, so jousting windmills here) that they continue to invest capital until they provide us with an offense that is not amongst the bottom 2-3 in the NFL.

Again, not going to get into who.  Professional GM's should be able to find the who themselves, in any round.

What I am saying is the team must prioritize the Offense at EVERY pick where it is remotely reasonable, because our offense sucks and has sucked for 20 years running.

BAP has clearly not worked for Macc to-date.  So how about a focus plan to fix whats most broken here in NY?

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let me be very clear, I don't "entrust" this current administration with anything.  If I had had my way they both would have been fired this current offseason.

Since they were not, I demand (as a fan, so jousting windmills here) that they continue to invest capital until they provide us with an offense that is not amongst the bottom 2-3 in the NFL.

Again, not going to get into who.  Professional GM's should be able to find the who themselves, in any round.

What I am saying is the team must prioritize the Offense at EVERY pick where it is remotely reasonable, because our offense sucks and has sucked for 20 years running.

BAP has clearly not worked for Macc to-date.  So how about a focus plan to fix whats most broken here in NY?

I think the major focus toward fixing the offense will happen at #3 overall. 

I guess my point is (and it can be targeted at the OP or you at this point) - you cant force yourself into a pick because of need.  If you're sitting their in the 3rd and hypothetically the 5th best pass rusher is on the board vs. the 10th WR or RB or OL, etc.  - you take the pass rusher.  It's equally as important and just as long as it's been since the team has had offense, it might be longer since they've had a pass rusher. 

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the major focus toward fixing the offense will happen at #3 overall. 

Yes, we all know we're getting a QB at #3, almost certainly.

That, alone, is not good enough.

I guess my point is (and it can be targeted at the OP or you at this point) - you cant force yourself into a pick because of need.

Yes, you can.  And you should.

If we're sitting at round three pondering a 3rd round DT vs. a 3rd round OL, pick the god damned OL.

If you're sitting their in the 3rd and hypothetically the 5th best pass rusher is on the board vs. the 10th WR or RB or OL, etc.  - you take the pass rusher.

No, you don't.  

First of all, the 5th best Pass Rusher will never bo on the board int he 3rd while we're at 10 at WR ffs.  Not the way the NFL prioritizes draft picks.

Second, the 3rd best RB (more realistic) would serve this team and fielding a legit offense for the second time in 20 years, better than YET ANOTHER "pass rusher" to add to the 50 pass rushers Bowles has gotten since he got here (or so it damn well seems).

It's equally as important and just as long as it's been since the team has had offense, it might be longer since they've had a pass rusher. 

No, it is not equally important.  Defense is not as important as offense.  Period.  And I don't care about the dream of the next Mark Gastinau every Jets Coach has wasted capital on since the 90's.  I've had enough Dorian Boose's and Ghosts and Wilkerson's and Richardson's and Williams' over and over and over again.

The Jets D has been fed high value picks the past 20 years far more than the Offense.  

BAP is GM speak for "Bullsh*t for Asinine People".

And this Offense, amongst the worst for 20 years now, needs some help.  

We gave this Defense TWO Safties last year.  Two.  A few years after ANOTHER Safety.

If we can afford to throw all this picks on Safeties and DT's, we can afford a year of spending a few mid-rounds on the Offense for a change.

And maybe this time Macc won't pick a bunch a losers.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, we all know we're getting a QB at #3, almost certainly.

That, alone, is not good enough.

Sure it is.  All that matters is having a QB.

Yes, you can.  And you should.

If we're sitting at round three pondering a 3rd round DT vs. a 3rd round OL, pick the god damned OL.

No, you dont.  And you shouldnt.  

If the DT prospect is 10x better than the OL prospect, you take him the DT.  You dont pick a sh*tty OL prospect just because he plays OL and you need OL. 

No, you don't.  

First of all, the 5th best Pass Rusher will never bo on the board int he 3rd while we're at 10 at WR ffs.  Not the way the NFL prioritizes draft picks.

Second, the 3rd best RB (more realistic) would serve this team and fielding a legit offense for the second time in 20 years, better than YET ANOTHER "pass rusher" to add to the 50 pass rushers Bowles has gotten since he got here (or so it damn well seems).

Yes.  You do.  100% you do and here is a real life, completely ridiculous scenario you've just presented; you would have passed on Yannick Nagkoue for Kenyan Drake because he plays offense and that would be the dumbest sh*t ever, no offense.

No, it is not equally important.  Defense is not as important as offense.  Period.  And I don't care about the dream of the next Mark Gastinau every Jets Coach has wasted capital on since the 90's.  I've had enough Dorian Boose's and Ghosts and Wilkerson's and Richardson's and Williams' over and over and over again.

The Jets D has been fed high value picks the past 20 years far more than the Offense.  

BAP is GM speak for "Bullsh*t for Asinine People".

And this Offense, amongst the worst for 20 years now, needs some help.  

We gave this Defense TWO Safties last year.  Two.  A few years after ANOTHER Safety.

If we can afford to throw all this picks on Safeties and DT's, we can afford a year of spending a few mid-rounds on the Offense for a change.

And maybe this time Macc won't pick a bunch a losers.

This is just ridiculous babble.   Pass rushers arent important?  

dude...

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure it is.  All that matters is having a QB.

No, you dont.  And you shouldnt.  

If the DT prospect is 10x better than the OL prospect, you take him the DT.  You dont pick a sh*tty OL prospect just because he plays OL and you need OL. 

Yes.  You do.  100% you do and here is a real life, completely ridiculous scenario you've just presented; you would have passed on Yannick Nagkoue for Kenyan Drake because he plays offense and that would be the dumbest sh*t ever, no offense.

This is just ridiculous babble.   Pass rushers arent important?  

dude...

The Giants won their last two Super Bowls for one reason...the pass rush. 

Archived