Draft Day. April 26.

Lith

I decided to take a look back at how we have done in past drafts that have been on April 26 -- to see if the date is a good omen or not.  I should have known better.  Not that it means anything for Thursday night, but I found some of the worst picks in NYJ history been on April 26.  Time to change our luck this Thursday?  Or more of the same?

April 26, 1983: With the 24th pick in the 1983 NFL draft, the NY Jets selected QB Ken O'Brien.  Nice player, and one of the 2 or 3 best QBs we have had since Namath, but we all know who went 3 picks later.

April 26, 1992: With the 15th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft, the Jets selected TE Johnny Mitchell.  At least we weren't the Colts that year -- they had the top 2 picks in the draft and selected Steve Emtman #1 overall and Quentin Coryatt at 2.

O'Brien and Mitchell were probably the two best #1s we have picked on the 26th.

April 26, 2003: With the 4th overall selection in the 2003 draft, the Jets selected DL Dewayne Robertson. How can you go wrong drafting a bowling ball with butcher knives.

April 26, 2008.  With the 6th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Jets selected LB Vernon Gholston.  Later on the same day, we traded up with the Packers, sending them a 2nd and 4th round pick to select Dustin Keller with the 30th pick.  A nice player, but with the 2nd rounder they acquired from us, GB took Jordy Nelson.

April 26, 2012.  With the 16th overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Jets selected DE Quniton Coples.

That is our legacy of first round picks made on the April 26th.  The 2nd round of the 2013 draft was also held on the 26th.  Yup, Geno Smith was also drafted on April 26.  On the bright side, it is not too much of a stretch to think this pick could be our best draft pick ever made on the 26th of April.

I decided to take a look back at how we have done in past drafts that have been on April 26 -- to see if the date is a good omen or not.  I should have known better.  Not that it means anything for Thursday night, but I found some of the worst picks in NYJ history been on April 26.  Time to change our luck this Thursday?  Or more of the same?
April 26, 1983: With the 24th pick in the 1983 NFL draft, the NY Jets selected QB Ken O'Brien.  Nice player, and one of the 2 or 3 best QBs we have had since Namath, but we all know who went 3 picks later.
April 26, 1992: With the 15th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft, the Jets selected TE Johnny Mitchell.  At least we weren't the Colts that year -- they had the top 2 picks in the draft and selected Steve Emtman #1 overall and Quentin Coryatt at 2.
April 26, 2003: With the 4th overall selection in the 2003 draft, the Jets selected DL Dewayne Robertson. How can you go wrong drafting a bowling ball with butcher knives.
April 26, 2008.  With the 6th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Jets selected LB Vernon Gholston.  Later on the same day, we traded up with the Packers, sending them a 2nd and 4th round pick to select Dustin Keller with the 30th pick.  A nice player, but with the 2nd rounder they acquired from us, GB took Jordy Nelson.
April 26, 2012.  With the 16th overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Jets selected DE Quniton Coples.
That is our legacy of first round picks made on the April 26th.  The 2nd round of the 2013 draft was also held on the 26th.  Yup, Geno Smith was also drafted on April 26.  On the bright side, it is not too much of a stretch to think this pick could be our best draft pick ever made on the 26th of April.

At least we ain’t picking 6th on the 26th ;)

Time for a change of luck!

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I used to like you until this post.  :)

I don't care.  I'm pumped for this draft.  No matter what QB the Jets take he's a potential franchise QB.  I'm going to act like he is actually a franchise QB until he proves he's not.

I'm going to enjoy one of the good moments this team has had.  

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets have never picked 3rd, have they?

3 times.  Freeman Mcneil.  Matt Snell.  And Jerry Stovall, a DB also drafted by the Cardinals - he chose to play for them instead of the Jets. 

2 out of 3, the odds are looking better.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

That D Rob drafting still haunts me. We gave up draft ammo to move up and pick HIM ? I was livid. Still am for that matter. My wife's cell phone ends in 63 and it still pi$$es me off because I think of that bust when I call her. Glad he only lasted 1 yr. in Denver.

38 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I used to like you until this post.  :)

I don't care.  I'm pumped for this draft.  No matter what QB the Jets take he's a potential franchise QB.  I'm going to act like he is actually a franchise QB until he proves he's not.eel the

I'm going to enjoy one of the good moments this team has had.  

I pretty much feel the same way.  If I don't like the pick, I am giving myself one day to vent, and then I am going to get behind the guy, look forward to the season and seeing our new QB play.  And I am going to hope he is the right guy

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I pretty much feel the same way.  If I don't like the pick, I am giving myself one day to vent, and then I am going to get behind the guy, look forward to the season and seeing our new QB play.  And I am going to hope he is the right guy

On behalf of Josh Allen....thank you.  ;)

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Best draft day was Saturday November 28, 1964 - Joe signed his rookie contract on Saturday January 2, 1965 and was named AFL's Rookie of the Year on December 20, 1965 

I think the Cards drafted him from the NFL. They wanted him to sign BEFORE the Orange Bowl that year which would have made him ineligible for the game. He told them to  :Eat: and signed with the Jets the day after the Orange Bowl. Alabama lost 21-17 to Texas BTW. 

7 hours ago, The Walrus said:

I can tell you one thing, now that we've reached the actual week of the draft I am just starting now to feel a little nervious.

All the talk about which toy in the store we could buy, well it's about time to make the purchase. Put up and shut up.

The whole thing just seems like too daunting of a tusk, Mr Walrus.

Archived