Some general thoughts about the draft including underrated prospects

Pointdexter

1) The very real possibility of choosing btw Mayfield and Darnold.

Nearly every draft expert now has Allen going #1 to the Browns. The Giants may stay put and choose btw Chubb and Barkley while in "win now" mode. In this surprisingly realistic scenario I see thr Jets taking Darnold due to Macc's history of bragging about the higher rated prospect "dropping into our laps."  For the record I like Mayfield more but SD is my #2. Allen is #3. Rosen scares the hell out of me; Smuggy McSmugs-alot can go play in Buffalo.

2) The best WR in the draft available at the top of rd 3?

Anyone who watches cfb has seen James Washington of OSU dominate any and all dbs the last two seasons. But he's dropping like a rock for some reason. Very interesting proposition for a team starved of playmakers if he's sitting there when rd 3 begins.

3) The criminally underrated Jaylen Samuels

This dude is a bowling ball at 5'11 225, runs a legit 4.5, verts 35", and most importantly was the best player on the field when I watched nc state games (chubb excluded). Anquan Boldin like game, he can line up at rb, fb, or out in the slot. Playmaker that doesn't mind blocking. You win with guys like this. Could be on the board in 4th/5th.

*I'll update this thread as the week goes along. 

1 - talking heads are just getting viewers/clicks right now ... Majority I'm sure still believe SD to Cleveland at 1 ... If by some chance they F it up then I think there is < 5% Darnold is on The board After the Giants pick. Much more realistic SD - Barkely - (our choice Rosen vs. Mayfield).

2 - as long as it's offense cool ... Hope & expect board to also be weighed to a certain degree by position group also in OL - RB - TE - WR order.

3 - no butcher knife = no interest.

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Nearly every draft expert now has Allen going #1 to the Browns. The Giants may stay put and choose btw Chubb and Barkley while in "win now" mode. In this surprisingly realistic scenario I see thr Jets taking Darnold due to Macc's history of bragging about the higher rated prospect "dropping into our laps."  For the record I like Mayfield more but SD is my #2. Allen is #3. Rosen scares the hell out of me; Smuggy McSmugs-alot can go play in Buffalo.

2) The best WR in the draft available at the top of rd 3?

Anyone who watches cfb has seen James Washington of OSU dominate any and all dbs the last two seasons. But he's dropping like a rock for some reason. Very interesting proposition for a team starved of playmakers if he's sitting there when rd 3 begins.

This dude is a bowling ball at 5'11 225, runs a legit 4.5, verts 35", and most importantly was the best player on the field when I watched nc state games (chubb excluded). Anquan Boldin like game, he can line up at rb, fb, or out in the slot. Playmaker that doesn't mind blocking. You win with guys like this. Could be on the board in 4th/5th.

Agree with you on Samuels have been banging the drum for him all year but i’ll be shocked if he is around much beyond the late 2nd early 3rd...Flowers wouldn't be a bad consolation prize though.

also Washington diesn’t Have the gaudy triangle numbers of traditional deep threat wideouts but he just makes play after play...Ateman too is good as much as I like Mason Rudolph I think he had terrific receivers making tough catches 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

What's up with this Nwosu guy from USC? We need a bad azz edge rusher.

Was the best pash rusher in his conference last year. But last year was his break out season and it was respectively his senior season as well. Long lengthy arms and nice burst off the LOS. I’d take him in the 3rd though.

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Yeah, let’s give the Bills a FQB and say “ehh whatever he’s an a&#036;&#036;hole anyway.”??‍♂️

As far as Jame Washington, I think he’s a beast. He reminds me of Golden Tate. The reason he may be dropping is his height.(5-10) yet his wingspan is so damn long that he can grab contested 50/50 balls and high point with the best of them regardless of his height. He’d be excellent value in the 3rd, unfortunately, I don’t see a scenrio where we take him with 17 WR’s on the roster. I think Macc did this in order to take BPA so it’s actually possible in some sense...except we need a OLB or O-line more...but love James Washington.

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, let’s give the Bills a FQB and say “ehh whatever he’s an a&#036;&#036;hole anyway.”??‍♂️

As far as Jame Washington, I think he’s a beast. He reminds me of Golden Tate. The reason he may be dropping is his height.(5-10) yet his wingspan is so damn long that he can grab contested 50/50 balls and high point with the best of them regardless of his height. He’d be excellent value in the 3rd, unfortunately, I don’t see a scenrio where we take him with 17 WR’s on the roster. I think Macc did this in order to take BPA so it’s actually possible in some sense...except we need a OLB or O-line more...but love James Washington.

I've noticed that a number of folks who like Mayfield the most also dislike Rosen the most.  I think because Rosen represents the most likely threat to us taking Mayfield, it distorts their objectivity.  Rosen is a supremely talented college QB who is, IMO, every bit as likely as any of the others, if not more, to succeed and thrive in the NFL.  But the true irony is a Mayfield fan taking potshots at Rosen's character.  It's a huge blind spot I can't fathom.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've noticed that a number of folks who like Mayfield the most also dislike Rosen the most.  I think because Rosen represents the most likely threat to us taking Mayfield, it distorts their objectivity.  Rosen is a supremely talented college QB who is, IMO, every bit as likely as any of the others, if not more, to succeed and thrive in the NFL.  But the true irony is a Mayfield fan taking potshots at Rosen's character.  It's a huge blind spot I can't fathom.

I agree, I have noticed that too. I’m one of the odd few that love both Rosen and Baker. I cant understand why Baker fans dislike Rosen for his “smug” personality. It’s kind of weird when they are fine with Baker’s. To tell you the truth..as much as I like Baker..I think them media will be able to get under his skin more than Rosen. I just favor Baker’s leadership more. Rosen is supremely talented though. The only thing you can truly knock him for is injury issues.

Eh, everyone has Allen to Browns and Mayfield to Jets. I think that's all smoke and the opposite will happen.

And there's a very real chance Mayfield goes 1 and Darnold 2. Leaving Jets between Allen and Rosen. Which should be the easiest decision in the history of decisions but we'll probably pick wrong.

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Eh, everyone has Allen to Browns and Mayfield to Jets. I think that's all smoke and the opposite will happen.

And there's a very real chance Mayfield goes 1 and Darnold 2. Leaving Jets between Allen and Rosen. Which should be the easiest decision in the history of decisions but we'll probably pick wrong.

actually most are predicting darnold to the browns and barkley to the giants and i think these are the chalk picks right now.  i think gettleman has played this as well as he could.  he talked up barkley as much as he could, hoping to get the browns to take him so darnold falls to them.  if not, gettleman takes barkley and already set the groundwork that he's not drafting eli's successor.  i don't think they're trading out, and i think the first trade comes at 5 when teams vie for the two qbs the jets didn't take.

the jets have the first big decision, rosen or mayfield, and there is a ton of talk about mayfield to us and at this point i'm inclined to believe it.  

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Samuels, who most regard as a RB, is a nice player in a draft with a ton of REALLY good RBs. I would love to get him, but guys like Kerryon Johnson/Guice/Penny/Ballage/Chubb/Jones/Michael are all better pure RB prospects. And even guys like Ito smith/Justin Jackson/Wadley/Freeman could end up being really good players. 

I would LOVE for the Jets to take a RB at 3 because there is a good chance a really good option will be available when we pick. They all  have a greater likelihood of success than some random edge rusher that happens to fall to the 3rd because we all know that edge rushers that fall to 3rd more often end up being Lorenzo Mauldin types.

This is why it would be absolutely foolish for the Giants to take Barkley at 2. I guarantee that there will be a few Kareem Hunt/Kamara found in the 2nd/3rd rounds of these years draft. To waste a pick on a RB in a REALLY deep RB class at the top of the draft is dumb. 

Archived