Joe Namath: A fan of Baker Mayfield.

Villain The Foe

Joe Namath: Potential Jets pick Baker Mayfield is 'outrageous'

1:00 PM CEST
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

On New Year's Day, Joe Namath watched the Rose Bowl with his daughter, Jessica. A devoted Alabama alum, Namath wanted to check out the Georgia-Oklahoma game in his anticipation of a potential matchup against the Crimson Tide in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

It was a wild, back-and-forth game, and Namath remembers his daughter asking, "Daddy, have you ever seen anything like this?" Georgia won 54-48 in double overtime.

Namath's response: "No, I haven't, honey. These two teams are good. I wouldn't want to play against that guy, let me put it that way."

Joe Namath, who said he's been following Baker Mayfield's career, is a fan of the Oklahoma quarterback's confidence. Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire

He was referring to Baker Mayfield, the Oklahoma quarterback.

Count Namath as a Mayfield fan.

On Thursday night, Namath's former team, the New York Jets, may select the fiery quarterback with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft. Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen also could be considerations, but most of the pre-draft buzz is focused on Mayfield.

"I haven't met them, but I've watched them and the most outrageous, so to speak, that I've seen has been Mayfield," Namath told ESPN in a phone interview.

The legendary quarterback doesn't want to come off as a know-it-all scout. He said it's impossible to form a true evaluation of a player until you meet him and get to know him personally.

That said, Namath saw a lot of college football last fall and, yes, he watched the NFL scouting combine. He played the position, won a Super Bowl and made the Hall of Fame, so his opinions shouldn't be discounted. He's Broadway Joe, after all.

"Hey, it wasn't just Georgia, it was a couple of years, early on, when I saw him play," said Namath, tracing his affinity for Mayfield. "I saw him a couple of years back. I never saw him look bad. I don't know how tall he is. I still don't know big he is. Size can be a major asset, yes, size can be an asset in today's game. But Drew Brees, his size was questioned many times and he's one of the greatest players who's ever played."

Speaking of Mayfield, Namath said, "When I see his quick feet and I see him throwing every which way, I see the accuracy, I see the intensity, his hustle. Hey, I tell you, I wouldn't want to play against him. I didn't want Alabama to play against him."

Mayfield is a shade under 6-foot-1, a fraction taller than Brees, who will join Namath in Canton one day. The other knocks on Mayfield are that he comes from a spread system and that his brash personality can incite opponents.

Namath knows a thing or two about swagger. He's famous for guaranteeing a win over the heavily favored Colts in Super Bowl III -- and delivering.

"I'm not as big on the outward swagger, so to speak, but the confidence, the leadership qualities ... and that damn confidence, man. Don't tell me I can't do it, I'm gonna get it done."

Referring to the top "four or five" prospects in the draft, Namath said, "Physically, they look great." He also said he was impressed by Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson, both of whom have been overshadowed by the top four.

"No one mentions Jackson," Namath said. "I wouldn't say he's not going to be a player, either. 'Argue for your limitations and they're yours.' (A quote from author Richard Bach.) We start putting limitations on people and we don't know them. He might be around for 10 years; who knows?"

Namath said he hopes to watch the draft live. If he's not busy with his charitable foundation or running errands, he'll make sure to set the DVR. None of his 12 full-time successors have led the Jets to a championship. Maybe his old team will order a Baker's dozen.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Mmmm, makes sense. If you look close enough you can see they are both right handed. 

E3C05679-E54F-456B-9653-77B61D0AE9BD.jpeg

I was going to say both known for being drunk in public and posing shirtless to show off their hairy chest. 

2018 NFL Draft: Which QB works best with what the Jets have in place?

usatsi_10565716.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

3SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

Come April 26, the New York Jets will have a new franchise quarterback on the roster. Who that quarterback is going to be, though, remains to be seen.

When drafting a quarterback, the fit is the most important aspect of the whole evaluation process. While one quarterback may thrive in a specific system, another could fall flat on his face and become the next Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

With the No. 3 overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft, general manager Mike Maccagnan and company will have to tread carefully when it comes to finding a quarterback who can star in first-year offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates’ system.

Similar to what former offensive coordinator John Morton installed in 2017, it’s likely that Bates will institute some form of the West Coast-style passing game and a running game centered around a zone blocking scheme. That same system worked in 2008 when Bates was the offensive coordinator for the Broncos, as Denver finished No. 2 in total offense that year.

The only top quarterback prospect in this year’s draft class that has experience playing in a West Coast offense is USC’s Sam Darnold. UCLA’s Josh Rosen, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Wyoming’s Josh Allen all played in spread schemes throughout their respective collegiate careers.

However, Darnold is expected to be either the No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick, so it’s likely that he will not be on the board when the Jets pick at No. 3. It will be a steep learning curve for Rosen, Mayfield or Allen in Bates’ offense, but the task is not impossible.

The West Coast offense is one predicated on accuracy and quick decision making. Essentially, it eliminates Allen from being the pick, as he struggled with accuracy throughout his career at Wyoming.

That leaves Mayfield and Rosen as New York’s two best options at No. 3 from a fit perspective. Rosen might be the safer pick in terms of making an immediate impact in Bates’ system, but Mayfield could have the higher ceiling.

As a senior, Mayfield was the most efficient quarterback in the country, finishing the season with a passing efficiency rating of 198.9. He also completed 70.5 percent of his passes and took care of the football, throwing only six interceptions.

Lincoln Riley’s spread system was one predicated on getting the ball out quick, so Mayfield’s numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. However, since Mayfield has experience playing in an offense where he is expected to make quick reads and release the ball in a similar manner, adjusting to Bates’ scheme shouldn’t be too difficult.

Learning the terminology of the West Coast offense would be the biggest challenge that Mayfield would face. In Riley’s offense, the terminology was nowhere near as complex as any NFL offense. With that being said, Mayfield is a high motor guy who has been billed as extremely coachable and willing to learn. All it will take is a little extra time in the film room for Mayfield to become comfortable in New York’s offense.

Mayfield would also provide the Jets with a little extra versatility in the passing game. The consensus is that Mayfield is the best deep-ball passer in this year’s draft class and while Bates is a fan of the short passing game, he’s not afraid to air it out and take shots downfield.

With weapons like Robby Anderson and Terrelle Pryor at wide receiver to stretch the field, Mayfield could have a field day in New York’s offense. Throw in Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa running the underneath routes and Mayfield could be a deadly weapon in the Jets’ passing attack for years to come.

Assuming he is the pick, Mayfield has the potential to be New York’s newest star. His natural talent, along with his leadership skills, could lead him down the path of becoming the most beloved Jets’ quarterback since Joe Namath.

Broadway Baker has a nice ring to it and coincidentally, he might be New York’s best option at the position.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the Jets draft Baker mayfield and Darnpold or Rosen are still on the board it will be the biggest error this franchise has made.  It will make the gholston pick look  good.

the two that haunt me and I saw them in person

obrien over marino

kyle brady over sapp

both were consistent with a common theme among jet fans-many times the avg fan does know better

I have zero faith in our gm that thought the future franchise QB would be Hackenburg-he should have been fired for that alone

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

2018 NFL Draft: Which QB works best with what the Jets have in place?

usatsi_10565716.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

3SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

Come April 26, the New York Jets will have a new franchise quarterback on the roster. Who that quarterback is going to be, though, remains to be seen.

When drafting a quarterback, the fit is the most important aspect of the whole evaluation process. While one quarterback may thrive in a specific system, another could fall flat on his face and become the next Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

With the No. 3 overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft, general manager Mike Maccagnan and company will have to tread carefully when it comes to finding a quarterback who can star in first-year offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates’ system.

Similar to what former offensive coordinator John Morton installed in 2017, it’s likely that Bates will institute some form of the West Coast-style passing game and a running game centered around a zone blocking scheme. That same system worked in 2008 when Bates was the offensive coordinator for the Broncos, as Denver finished No. 2 in total offense that year.

The only top quarterback prospect in this year’s draft class that has experience playing in a West Coast offense is USC’s Sam Darnold. UCLA’s Josh Rosen, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Wyoming’s Josh Allen all played in spread schemes throughout their respective collegiate careers.

However, Darnold is expected to be either the No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick, so it’s likely that he will not be on the board when the Jets pick at No. 3. It will be a steep learning curve for Rosen, Mayfield or Allen in Bates’ offense, but the task is not impossible.

The West Coast offense is one predicated on accuracy and quick decision making. Essentially, it eliminates Allen from being the pick, as he struggled with accuracy throughout his career at Wyoming.

That leaves Mayfield and Rosen as New York’s two best options at No. 3 from a fit perspective. Rosen might be the safer pick in terms of making an immediate impact in Bates’ system, but Mayfield could have the higher ceiling.

As a senior, Mayfield was the most efficient quarterback in the country, finishing the season with a passing efficiency rating of 198.9. He also completed 70.5 percent of his passes and took care of the football, throwing only six interceptions.

Lincoln Riley’s spread system was one predicated on getting the ball out quick, so Mayfield’s numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. However, since Mayfield has experience playing in an offense where he is expected to make quick reads and release the ball in a similar manner, adjusting to Bates’ scheme shouldn’t be too difficult.

Learning the terminology of the West Coast offense would be the biggest challenge that Mayfield would face. In Riley’s offense, the terminology was nowhere near as complex as any NFL offense. With that being said, Mayfield is a high motor guy who has been billed as extremely coachable and willing to learn. All it will take is a little extra time in the film room for Mayfield to become comfortable in New York’s offense.

Mayfield would also provide the Jets with a little extra versatility in the passing game. The consensus is that Mayfield is the best deep-ball passer in this year’s draft class and while Bates is a fan of the short passing game, he’s not afraid to air it out and take shots downfield.

With weapons like Robby Anderson and Terrelle Pryor at wide receiver to stretch the field, Mayfield could have a field day in New York’s offense. Throw in Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa running the underneath routes and Mayfield could be a deadly weapon in the Jets’ passing attack for years to come.

Assuming he is the pick, Mayfield has the potential to be New York’s newest star. His natural talent, along with his leadership skills, could lead him down the path of becoming the most beloved Jets’ quarterback since Joe Namath.

Broadway Baker has a nice ring to it and coincidentally, he might be New York’s best option at the position.

But but someone told me Baker couldn't throw deep ? Only threw short passes 

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Namath thinks every Jet qb is the next him

"I believe everything that anyone else has watched Chad play impresses me, the same thing impresses them.  He's a quality, classy QB that has a touch on the football.  He's not a thrower, he's a passer.  His mind is ahead of what the defense is.  And if the Jets can support him, they will win the championship."

No way this story isn’t pushed by the Jets to help the fans fall more in love with Mayfield. Last week it was “Mayfield and Pennington have a connection”, this week it’s “Namath thinks Mayfield is hottest thing this Suzy Kolber.” He’s the pick, buy some headbands and just accept it now.

I also believe that the guy that wrote about Mayfield for SI tweeted about the Jets taking him because they went over a marketing plan for Mayfield. Something about him seeing them interact and him saying that he won’t disclose what he observed until after the draft has me convinced that a portion of Mayfield’s meeting with our management was getting a marketing campaign ready. 

On 4/23/2018 at 4:29 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Joe loves Hack

Joe love Geno

Joe loves Mayfield

Ohh sh**t

Let’s put it this way, if I’m at the Racetrack betting horses with Joe Willie next to me, whoever he’s picking I’m staying away from. 

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

the deer in the headlights in your avatar says it all.

Unfortunately no one will know who the real franchise QBs will be for a couple years but if I was a betting man and I am, my money is on Rosen.

Archived