Dan Patrick "Inside Info"

k-met57

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been an undercurrent of Mayfield to the Browns for a little while now.  Would be very interesting if that proved to be true.

That the Browns are looking at two QBs and aren't even considering Darnold at #1 is interesting.  Do people feel that Allen's inaccuracy is correctable but that Sam Darnold's ball security and turnovers aren't?  That would be surprising to me.

I have been thinking for a while that Darnold will fall to us. I REALLY want Mayfield but as I have stated before ALL of them are franchise guys. This is the year of the nitpick. If only 1 of them were in the draft they would be the consensus #1 pick.

Darnold needs a lot of development. That worries me with this staff. I think Rosen and Mayfield can succeed despite poor coaching. I think Allen and Darnold are less likely to. Darnld still isnt 21 years old.

Browns taking Mayfield would suck.

Just now, johnnysd said:

I have been thinking for a while that Darnold will fall to us. I REALLY want Mayfield but as I have stated before ALL of them are franchise guys. This is the year of the nitpick. If only 1 of them were in the draft they would be the consensus #1 pick.

Darnold needs a lot of development. That worries me with this staff. I think Rosen and Mayfield can succeed despite poor coaching. I think Allen and Darnold are less likely to. Darnld still isnt 21 years old.

Time will tell but I don’t see any issues w/Bates along w/Dennison handling the OL and run game. 

32 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

I said this in a different post, but as things shake out I think Mccags picked the perfect spot to get a qb and not be judged for it.  He's really in a win/win.

I generally agree, but let's say the Draft goes 1. Allen and 2. Barkley, then Macc is squarely on the hot seat for choosing the best of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  I could definitely see a scenario in 3 years where people are saying...

"How the Jets selected a 6'0 Baker Mayfield and left one of the NFL's best pure passers in Josh Rosen on the board is a head-scratcher."

or

"Selecting Josh Rosen who has been injured for 24 of his last 40 games while Sam Darnold goes to the Pro Bowl again is the reason Mike Maccagnan is no longer the GM of the Jets."

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'm not that worried. I'd be pretty shocked if Darnold got past the Giants.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Ugh I’m so iffy on Darnold. I want Rosen or Mayfield, they don’t need to be taught how to quarterback like Darnold does.

Nobody knows which of those 3 will be the best and I’d prefer the decision be made for Mac.

Mayfield needs to learn footwork dropping back from center and we have no idea if he can learn an NFL pro offense.  But Darnold is the one who needs to be taught the game?

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I generally agree, but let's say the Draft goes 1. Allen and 2. Barkley, then Macc is squarely on the hot seat for choosing the best of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  I could definitely see a scenario in 3 years where people are saying...

"How the Jets selected a 6'0 Baker Mayfield and left one of the NFL's best pure passers in Josh Rosen on the board is a head-scratcher."

or

"Selecting Josh Rosen who has been injured for 24 of his last 40 games while Sam Darnold goes to the Pro Bowl again is the reason Mike Maccagnan is no longer the GM of the Jets."

You very well be correct but in that case he looks like even more of genius at getting into the 3rd spot and keeping the extra 1st next year. 

But yes if it falls that way and he selects Baker he will most assuredly hear about it...unless we win. If he selects Darnold/Rosen I don't think anyone really has a gripe.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mayfield needs to learn footwork dropping back from center and we have no idea if he can learn an NFL pro offense.  But Darnold is the one who needs to be taught the game?

Yes... Darnold also needs to learn those things because USC runs a spread. Adjustments were made by the USC coaches via signs and hand signals while Mayfield made adjustments at the line and was trusted by his coaches to make changes. Mayfield also showed ability to go through progressions and take small losses in exchange for another down. Darnold did basically the opposite of that. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If it goes Allen, Barkley I will finally knpow that God is now on our side

Are you working Friday, I think I remember you saying you were retiring on Monday? (scotch celebration)

59 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I couldn't disagree more.  I think the main reason all these guys are in the mix and there doesn't seem to be a consensus is because we're in a perfect storm.  You have a ton of teams at the top completely desperate for a quarterback, and you have a deep and talented draft at QB but almost every single one has massive holes in their games.

When you talk about clear cut consensus top QBs in the past you had both manning brothers.  Was size an issue?  Was lack of production in college an issue?  Winning?  Were they turnover machines?  Were they accused of aloof personalities and lack of leadership? Matt Ryan? Andrew Luck?  None of those guys had the type of question marks coming out of college that all of these top guys have.

9 minutes ago, burkett2112 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  I think the main reason all these guys are in the mix and there doesn't seem to be a consensus is because we're in a perfect storm.  You have a ton of teams at the top completely desperate for a quarterback, and you have a deep and talented draft at QB but almost every single one has massive holes in their games.

When you talk about clear cut consensus top QBs in the past you had both manning brothers.  Was size an issue?  Was lack of production in college an issue?  Winning?  Were they turnover machines?  Were they accused of aloof personalities and lack of leadership? Matt Ryan? Andrew Luck?  None of those guys had the type of question marks coming out of college that all of these top guys have.

They are being accused of those things because the pundits have to find something to criticize and separate them. Being consensus #1 is not the same thing as saying they are as good of a prospect as Peyton or Luck.

Look at this like a corporate decision:

1)  Darnold has been projected to go 1.  If he is there, the Jets have to take him.  He would likely have a worse 2018 than both Rosen and Mayfield.  You take Darnold and let McCown get beat up this year.  Buy him a line next year and go with it.  Mac is not losing his job if he takes Darnold.

2)  Out of Rosen and Mayfield, let Chris decide.  I think Mayfield is less "risky."  He, like Darnold, moves around better.  I don't think the Jets are built for a statue QB.   If the choice is Rosen or Mayfield, Mac is not losing his job with either, at least right away.  He will if he cannot adapt the team for whoever he selects.

3) Josh Allen is not a Jet.  Not for this team-too much development required.  

I am increasingly confident that 3 of the top QBs end up in the AFC East.  The spotlight will be on the Jets to both make the right pick, and develop him and surround him with the right players.  I don't see MacBowles winning this one, regardless of who they pick, and that is ignoring how good Watson, Mahomes and Lattimore play in 2018.  

Clearly there’s no consensus on these guys.

At least from the rumors...

The Browns are deciding between Darnold and Allen

The Giants are only considering Darnold

The Jets seem to like Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen

Theres a lot of talk about Chubb and Barkley getting picked very high in this draft (and some rumors about Quentin Nelson).  How crazy would it be if a couple of these QBs fell to the Bills and Dolphins after all the hype about 3 QBs being picked at the top of the draft.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

They are being accused of those things because the pundits have to find something to criticize and separate them. Being consensus #1 is not the same thing as saying they are as good of a prospect as Peyton or Luck.

I get what you're saying.  But how many consensus #1 picks have had size questions that Mayfield has.  Or was as unproductive Allen in college? Or had as many turnovers as Darnold does?  I don't think they're nitpicking, I think these guys have major question marks.

Yes theoretically if only one of these QBs were in this draft they would be the consensus #1 if the browns decided they really needed a QB.  

Archived