Where would you draft this QB ?

Thai Jet

Offensive linemen weren't allowed to extend their arms.  Had to block with their hands at their chest.  Hash marks were wider.  Huge difference only letting you throw to basically one side of field.  Dbs as been said could chuck WRs all the way down field.  And qbs were beat to a pulp compared to today

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Offensive linemen weren't allowed to extend their arms.  Had to block with their hands at their chest.  Hash marks were wider.  Huge difference only letting you throw to basically one side of field.  Dbs as been said could chuck WRs all the way down field.  And qbs were beat to a pulp compared to today

I know Namath had his knees replaced. He was quite the scrambler before his knees went. Bear Bryant called him the greatest athlete he had ever seen. 

Just now, flgreen said:

Where would I draft him?  Well back then there was no location for this draft, believe it was over the phone.  My how things have changed.

The real question is when?  1965

Yup Years back 1980's ? I remember listening to public radio and every 15-20 min. they would give you an update as to who was drafted by whom.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Where would I draft him?  Well back then there was no location for this draft, believe it was over the phone.  My how things have changed.

The real question is when?  1965

I got you the 1st 2 times. lol

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I'd draft him fairly high in a time where QB's topped the league with 85 rating and 20 TD's

In the modern day, he would go undrafted.

Copy that. Yet he went 1st round #12 NFL and 1st overall AFL.

8 minutes ago, Grandy said:

53 years ago

If someone posted those numbers in the current NFL, they'd be a borderline 2nd stringer.

Especially with the TD/Int ration. For Namaths NFL career  173 TD's  220 picks !

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Especially with the TD/Int ration. For Namaths NFL career  173 TD's  220 picks !

Question, Is this threads purpose to use half a century old stats to justify Allen as a decent QB?

Or is this a genuine question?

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I know Namath had his knees replaced. He was quite the scrambler before his knees went. Bear Bryant called him the greatest athlete he had ever seen. 

Namath's knee problems began at ALA during his senior season, and had his first knee operation by Dr. Nicholas in NY prior to him playing for the NYJ in 1965.  Nicholas said after the operation in 1965 that "Namath has the knees of a 70 y.o. man".  Namath was a tremendous athlete before the knee injuries...back then, when a cartilage was 'torn' like Namath had in '65 they didn't just shave out the small tear..they opened the knee and removed the majority of the cartilage as arthroscopy wasn't even invented yet (I'm missing my medial meniscus removed in '77 lol).

As an athlete, Namath was a shell of his former self before getting to the NYJ.  How he even played some weekends was always a wonder to me.  I still remember Ike Lassiter breaking Namath's cheekbone in Oakland in 1967 and Namath suiting up and playing the following week LOL.

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

You must be pretty young?

When Namath played , DBs could actually ‘play’ football without being flagged for just looking at a WR cross-ways.

Completion percentages were less because WRs could basically get mugged without a flag. QBs stood in the pocket waiting for a receiver to get open and often got the sh*t kicked out of them with no flags either.

Different game, had little to do with complexity and more to do with the rules IMO

But I thought it didn't matter if receivers were open or not....

So the theory is...if defense could play tighter and people weren't open - so completion percentage was down..

But, If WR's outmatched by DB's and never create separation that's not acceptable for completion % being down.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

But I thought it didn't matter if receivers were open or not....

So the theory is...if defense could play tighter and people weren't open - so completion percentage was down..

But, If WR's outmatched by DB's and never create separation that's not acceptable for completion % being down.

Hmm..trying to figure this out.  Facetious?

I'm of the opinion that putting 'too much' stock in a QB's completion percentage in college has too many of variables to just take them at face value...both on the upside AND on the downside.

So too is comparing completion percentages across generations as the game changes.

so?

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

He was fast as could be, a dual threat until tearing his knee in his Sr. year.  And then continued to play with it

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Yup Years back 1980's ? I remember listening to public radio and every 15-20 min. they would give you an update as to who was drafted by whom.

I remember going to the Sheridan on 6th avenue on a Tuesday, pretty sure, to watch the draft in the ballroom.  

2 hours ago, Grandy said:

Question, Is this threads purpose to use half a century old stats to justify Allen as a decent QB?

Or is this a genuine question?

Just curious what the forum would think of a QB now with those stats.

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Namath's knee problems began at ALA during his senior season, and had his first knee operation by Dr. Nicholas in NY prior to him playing for the NYJ in 1965.  Nicholas said after the operation in 1965 that "Namath has the knees of a 70 y.o. man".  Namath was a tremendous athlete before the knee injuries...back then, when a cartilage was 'torn' like Namath had in '65 they didn't just shave out the small tear..they opened the knee and removed the majority of the cartilage as arthroscopy wasn't even invented yet (I'm missing my medial meniscus removed in '77 lol).

As an athlete, Namath was a shell of his former self before getting to the NYJ.  How he even played some weekends was always a wonder to me.  I still remember Ike Lassiter breaking Namath's cheekbone in Oakland in 1967 and Namath suiting up and playing the following week LOL.

I think in a previous life Joe Willie was a hockey player.

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember going to the Sheridan on 6th avenue on a Tuesday, pretty sure, to watch the draft in the ballroom.  

I remember being at work so it was mid week. One year my friend Kevin O'Brian a(OB) nd I were closely listening when the Bills made their call... Booker Moore , RB, Penn State. Upon hearing this OB leaned left and totally fell off his lab stool. i just LMAO. He was that disgusted with the pick.

8 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Hmm..trying to figure this out.  Facetious?

I'm of the opinion that putting 'too much' stock in a QB's completion percentage in college has too many of variables to just take them at face value...both on the upside AND on the downside.

So too is comparing completion percentages across generations as the game changes.

so?

Sorry, that really wasn't meant for you as much as for the - Allen sucks because he had a low comp. % and it doesn't matter that his recievers were never open - crowd...

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry, that really wasn't meant for you as much as for the - Allen sucks because he had a low comp. % and it doesn't matter that his recievers were never open - crowd...

So just to clarify. Josh Allen's sh*tty completion percentage going all the way back to JV ball in high school is on his receivers? Got it. I'm assuming you've watched all 7 years of "tape" including his junior college days?

Archived