OT: Sounds a lot like Francesa is coming back

T0mShane

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Went in to get my teeth cleaned last week and they tried to stick me with a woman dentist. You believe that

No problem with female dentists, cops, Marines, doctors, lawyers, any profession you could name.

But most women, the overwhelming majority,  do not care about sports. Stop the pretending. And they are not FAN's  target audience . Maggie Gray got hired to fill out some perceived PC mandate, not because anyone is tuning in to hear her insights. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, funaz said:

That doesn't sound sexist it is sexist. I don't have any issues with females as sport talk hosts. Would you not listen if there was an openly gay person on the show either?

Seen Elton John more times than I can count. last time I saw Judas Priest was angry they did not play the entirety of "Point of Entry". Done business and been pals with gay people. Not an issue at all. 

Not an issue at all. Again, we are all going to pretend there is a market of women listeners who care even a little bit about sports; there is not. There are  no doubt gay guys who do like sports. If I were casting a home decor show aimed at selling women stuff with ads I would not put a middle aged straight guy on said show, spare when they talk about construction projects.

Admit this is antectdotal. Dated a woman who played basketball at a high level in high school and have a cousin who played in high level college. She happens to play for the other team; no matter. In neither case has either even listened to even 10 seconds of sports talk. And my cousin follows the Rangers very closely to the point we go on road trips every year. Again, she is not listening to Francesa or Maggie Gray or any of it. My sons' ladies like going to baseball games, but they do not listen to sports radio neither. MY wife's reaction is to say quite accurately most sports radio is the host hammering 2 or 3 topics to death for an hour .   It's not something women listen to, so why bother trying? Is this about making money with ads targeting a specific audience (20 to 40 something guys who like sports)or some PC agenda? Because any company that ignore the former core goal  to pay homage to the latter pointless PC pursuit is going to be out of business. 

Suzyn Waldman is terrible. 

And with the inexplicable exception of Waldman, most of the ladies on network TV sports are eye candy. 

Apparently Chris Carlin texted Mike and Chris "Kiss my a**" after they made fun of them during that baseball show.  This is discussed at the very end of the video below (probably the last 30 seconds).  Mad Dog said he didn't care about it but Francesa didn't think the same way.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think he'll save anyone's job.  CMB will probably lose their jobs as soon as their contracts are up.  Also, it sounds like he's going to cut into Joe and Evan's hours (because CMB will split 10AM-3PM with Joe and Evan), which annoys me.

He’ll save jobs because WFAN is a non-entity right now without him. When you’re losing listeners to Stephen A Smith, your programming is in the death spiral

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Kay is brutal. Why he has that idiot Rosenberg on his show i'll never know. That show is the worst. Unfortunately CMB is know better. I flip back and forth between both shows until I finally tap out and just turn the radio off.

Rosenberg is brutal

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I'm glad he's back on the air. I would have bet that he'd go the digital route but hey, the pope and the fan need each other.

High ratings = $

Mike was interested in getting a gig with Sirius but they never offered him Mike money 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Seen Elton John more times than I can count. last time I saw Judas Priest was angry they did not play the entirety of "Point of Entry". Done business and been pals with gay people. Not an issue at all. 

Not an issue at all. Again, we are all going to pretend there is a market of women listeners who care even a little bit about sports; there is not. There are  no doubt gay guys who do like sports. If I were casting a home decor show aimed at selling women stuff with ads I would not put a middle aged straight guy on said show, spare when they talk about construction projects.

Admit this is antectdotal. Dated a woman who played basketball at a high level in high school and have a cousin who played in high level college. She happens to play for the other team; no matter. In neither case has either even listened to even 10 seconds of sports talk. And my cousin follows the Rangers very closely to the point we go on road trips every year. Again, she is not listening to Francesa or Maggie Gray or any of it. My sons' ladies like going to baseball games, but they do not listen to sports radio neither. MY wife's reaction is to say quite accurately most sports radio is the host hammering 2 or 3 topics to death for an hour .   It's not something women listen to, so why bother trying? Is this about making money with ads targeting a specific audience (20 to 40 something guys who like sports)or some PC agenda? Because any company that ignore the former core goal  to pay homage to the latter pointless PC pursuit is going to be out of business. 

Suzyn Waldman is terrible. 

And with the inexplicable exception of Waldman, most of the ladies on network TV sports are eye candy. 

You're projecting your ridiculousness onto the market.  Sports center seems to have done fine with female anchors, and Anita marks is a great listen

Just now, Doggin94it said:

You're projecting your ridiculousness onto the market.  Sports center seems to have done fine with female anchors, and Anita marks is a great listen

You watch Sportscenter? It's background in airports and gyms, nothing more. 

Who is Anita Marks? Can she discuss the Caps goalie situation or the White Sox bullpen? 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

You watch Sportscenter? It's background in airports and gyms, nothing more. 

Who is Anita Marks? Can she discuss the Caps goalie situation or the White Sox bullpen? 

Not since I cut the cord, & really not since highlights & scores had instant internet availability, but back in the day. 

Marks does weekend shows on ESPN that i catch occasionally.  She knows her stuff.  Hard as it is to believe, having a vagina doesn't prevent that. 

2 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I can’t understand why they thought CMB would work? “They” produce this stuff for a living. It’s truly awful radio. 

The same reason programmers think the Hot 97 guy works with Kay. Trying to get a young audience that doesnt exist.

1 minute ago, Gen X Jet said:

I can’t understand why they thought CMB would work? “They” produce this stuff for a living. It’s truly awful radio. 

I just listened to that Rosen interview and Rosen is clearly on a roll talking about his visits with the Giants and the Jets and the chick slams the brakes on any real news coming out of it by going “Where did you get the nickname Big Bird.” And this is after Bart Scott awkwardly tried framing a question by going into some sh*t about how he was suspended in college.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Kay is brutal. Why he has that idiot Rosenberg on his show i'll never know. That show is the worst. Unfortunately CMB is know better. I flip back and forth between both shows until I finally tap out and just turn the radio off.

I haven't listened to 10 seconds of New York sports talk radio since Francesa left. 

It turns out I don't want to hear about New York sports; I just want to hear what Francesa has to say about New York sports.  Seems I'm not alone.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I haven't listened to 10 seconds of New York sports talk radio since Francesa left. 

It turns out I don't want to hear about New York sports; I just want to hear what Francesa has to say about New York sports.  Seems I'm not alone.

SAR I

Most sports talk hosts are completely unlistenable (if that's a word).  Joe and Evan I can listen to but CMB, Michael Kay and Boomer/Gio are the pits.  Francesa is a blowhard but his inflated ego is entertaining.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’ll save jobs because WFAN is a non-entity right now without him. When you’re losing listeners to Stephen A Smith, your programming is in the death spiral

Im sure the upper management was afraid that without him that the station was going to go down badly. It probably didnt help that they unexpectedly lost their main morning guy too, but Im sure they saw how bad the afternoon show was doing and going and assumed that the next step was 92.3 without Stern or 102.7 without Opie and Anthony all those years back. Those stations all had to go through major overhauls after that. While the formats (specifically Krock) were a disaster one the flagship was gone the replacements couldnt work.

That said they need a younger group in there. To just take Francesa back is a bad decision long term.  They need to force him to take on a co-host to liven the show up and have a replacement in place when Francesa complains about his salary next year or just to take over down the line. The worst decision they made when Russo left was to allow him to stay solo.

To also have all that time to find a new host and to come back with CMB was an epic failure. They just had no chemistry or presence. Bart is totally lost on anything non-football and the other ones just talk through each other rather than having anytype of conversation. I listened to them do an interview today and it was clear they just had some questions to ask and zero idea how to do it on the fly. Bart starts talking about suspensions while Maggie starts asking about Big Bird names. Even when asking about the injuries there was no real follow through just a generic "what do you say about those who say you are injured" to just let him say "I play alot and fell bad once".  I get that you arent going to go crazy with a draft pick but being good with interviews is a necessity if you want to stand out and unfortunately the ones they do come off like the ESPN national stuff which is really really bad.

32 minutes ago, jason423 said:

Im sure the upper management was afraid that without him that the station was going to go down badly. It probably didnt help that they unexpectedly lost their main morning guy too, but Im sure they saw how bad the afternoon show was doing and going and assumed that the next step was 92.3 without Stern or 102.7 without Opie and Anthony all those years back. Those stations all had to go through major overhauls after that. While the formats (specifically Krock) were a disaster one the flagship was gone the replacements couldnt work.

That said they need a younger group in there. To just take Francesa back is a bad decision long term.  They need to force him to take on a co-host to liven the show up and have a replacement in place when Francesa complains about his salary next year or just to take over down the line. The worst decision they made when Russo left was to allow him to stay solo.

To also have all that time to find a new host and to come back with CMB was an epic failure. They just had no chemistry or presence. Bart is totally lost on anything non-football and the other ones just talk through each other rather than having anytype of conversation. I listened to them do an interview today and it was clear they just had some questions to ask and zero idea how to do it on the fly. Bart starts talking about suspensions while Maggie starts asking about Big Bird names. Even when asking about the injuries there was no real follow through just a generic "what do you say about those who say you are injured" to just let him say "I play alot and fell bad once".  I get that you arent going to go crazy with a draft pick but being good with interviews is a necessity if you want to stand out and unfortunately the ones they do come off like the ESPN national stuff which is really really bad.

Agreed with all the above. 

1. I’m not sure where they find young talent. The best young(ish) radio talent recently has been Rick DiPietro, and everting else has been bad. I thought ESPN lucked into a good young duo with Lundberg and Ruocco, but that disintegrated when Ruocco bolted for the Yankees gig. 

2. I think the best afternoon drive show would be Francesa paired with Don LaGreca, if only for the screaming matches.

3. That Rosen interview should get every one of CMB fired. They ask Rosen, specifically, to talk about the Giants and Rosen INTENTIONALLY steers the conversation back to how impressed he was by the Jets, and, instead of a follow up about the Jets, Bart launches into that stupid leading question about how he was once personally suspended from his team and how it made him focus on football and blah blah blah, and then Maggie drops the Big Bird question. Like, this is a guy who has a roughly 80% chance of becoming a dominant New York sports story within two days time and you’re cutting him off to ask him about a high school nickname? Or to prompt him to talk about how time away from the game refocused him? I mean, Christ. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Most sports talk hosts are completely unlistenable (if that's a word).  Joe and Evan I can listen to but CMB, Michael Kay and Boomer/Gio are the pits.  Francesa is a blowhard but his inflated ego is entertaining.

Dipietro & Canty are legitimately terrific (Rick in particular) 

19 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Dipietro & Canty are legitimately terrific (Rick in particular) 

DiPietro and Rothenberg are fun, but Canty went to the ESPN School of Anodyne Soundbytes, where he spends 90 seconds talking in cliches that basically translates to “If the Cavs are going to win, Lebron is going to need more help from his teammates/Giancarlo Stanton needs to relax and let the game come to him/Eli is getting older and needs more help from his offensive line zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz”

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I guess MF didn’t say anything bad about mark Sanchez ?

15 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

1) Who the hell is "they"?

2) I don't care who coined the term.  There are a lot of terms out there that I didn't coin but wouldn't use given that I have a functioning sense of basic human decency.

Don't refer to women as "holes," no matter who else is doing it.  This isn't ******* rocket science.

I'll tell you what. You don't tell me what to call women and I won't tell you to wear a different brand of tampons.

20 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'll tell you what. You don't tell me what to call women and I won't tell you to wear a different brand of tampons.

How's this - you continue to be a failure of a human being & I'll continue to call you on it. 

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The same reason programmers think the Hot 97 guy works with Kay. Trying to get a young audience that doesnt exist.

Problem is Francesa's target audience is middle-aged white guys who are so tech deficient  they cannot figure out how to access mostly free and easily-accessed net and podcast content with their iphone. Now granted that audience may have money and are wedded to their car presets. But it's dwindling.And some in the last 4 months have figured out they want to listen to different things and how to do it.  If you buy a new car, every car company either gives you Sirius or some web-based app of their own right on your dashboard that gives you a sheetload of content, all free for a very long time, and cheaply after that. Put it this way; have a 70 year old retired guy telling me how to cut the cord and access any live sports content you could imagine for nothing or pennies every month. People are figuring it out. 

ESPN is facing a lot of the same problems. Have no idea who Anita Marks is because have not watched ESPN except for actual games in a very long time. She "knows here stuff"; what stuff exactly, because you cannot know everything(which is why in the early TV broadcasts of Mike and the Mad Dog more than a few NY newspaper reporters were pissed to see these guys openly paging through their articles on air).  ESPN specifically and sports programming generally still act like it's 1986 and we have no other way to get information. It's why they're bleeding money.  When cable first became a big thing, we did not have an internet nor a smart phone loaded with ways to get information.Now we do.  Nor have I watched any pregame show, nor highlight show, nor any of that, spare postgame shows of the teams I follow (Jets and NYR; to that end if FAN wanted to do something radical, should have hired a guy with some opinions like Willie Colon, a PR from the Bronx who went to Catholic school,  instead of suburban soccer mom whitebread Maggie Gray asking moronic questions of Josh Rosen about nicknames, but I digress).  And if you're reading this imagine you don't wait until a Sportscenter type show comes on at a specific hour to watch endless EPL and WNBA segments to get the 2 minutes of content you may care about.  

Content is cheap. Must have been one hell of surprise to go slinking back to FAN for 60 cents on the dollar and paying an agent of pile of money for the privilege. The market changed right under his feet. Francesa's comeuppance and demise are going to be fun. 

36 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Have no idea who Anita Marks is because have not watched ESPN except for actual games in a very long time. She "knows here stuff"; what stuff exactly, because you cannot know everything(which is why in the early TV broadcasts of Mike and the Mad Dog more than a few

Marks was a QB for the Miami Fury and another team for several years before turning to radio. 

jddjhbijbmplw0mhncaw.jpg

She's actually one of the better talking heads on WESPN-NY.  I don't mind her at all.  And she is very knowledgable about football.  (She is an avid Giants fan).  SHe is also one of the female athletes that Playboy magazine is so proud to have done a shoot with.  http://www.girlsofpb.com/anita-marks.html

Archived