10 greatest draft selections of all-time by Jets ? ? ?

kelly

Mangold and Brick should definitely be on this list. I wouldn't have included John Abraham. If you're going to include Leon Washington you should then put Brad Smith on the list for the same reason. Chad Pennington should also be on the list.

Leon Washington definitely stands out like a sore thumb on that list.  Don't get me wrong, he was pretty good in his time here but nowhere close to an all-timer.  There are a long list of guys you could put in over him on the list, never mind the 4 guys he is ahead of on this list, which he certainly doesn't deserve to be.  I imagine part of the influence was that he wasn't a high pick, so they're going for "value", but there are still plenty of better players who fit that criteria.

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

In no particular order

Aaron Glenn

Darrelle Revis

John Abraham

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Shaun Ellis

Jonathan Vilma

Kerry Rhodes

Joe Namath

Al Toon

Marvin Powell belongs on the list.  So does Freeman McNeil.  I would put Gerry Philbin > John Abraham and probably Shaun Ellis too.  

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can a first round draft pick be characterized as a great pick if the player does not either end up in the HOF or play in integral role on a championship team?

You can't blame an individual player for the failures of an entire team, which would basically leave you with an expectation for a first rounder to be a HOFer.  That seems just a tad extreme.

47 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can a first round draft pick be characterized as a great pick if the player does not either end up in the HOF or play in integral role on a championship team?

Would you not consider D'Brickashaw Ferguson a great pick?

26 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You can't blame an individual player for the failures of an entire team, which would basically leave you with an expectation for a first rounder to be a HOFer.  That seems just a tad extreme.

But if he's a chalk pick in the first round and plays as expected, rather than better than expected, what makes it a "great" pick as opposed to a very good pick? Shouldn't "great" pick be reserved for the players that over perform their draft slot? Like a 3d round pick who becomes a long term starter with a couple of all pro seasons.

Perhaps I just feel that "great" is a more seldom occurring event than others.

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Would you not consider D'Brickashaw Ferguson a great pick?

A very good pick yes. I would expect an O lineman selected 4th overall to become a long term starter. He is not a HOFer and was never all pro. While he made 3 pro bowls, I believe at least two were due to players opting out of the game.

Not sure how that translates into the pick being "great". Just cause I'm a jet fan, it doesn't mean I have to lower my standards for what qualifies as great.

For example, Wayne Chrebet qualifies as a great signing of an undrafted free agent. He far exceeded anything anyone could expect of a player signed as an undrafted free agent.

20 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

But if he's a chalk pick in the first round and plays as expected, rather than better than expected, what makes it a "great" pick as opposed to a very good pick? Shouldn't "great" pick be reserved for the players that over perform their draft slot? Like a 3d round pick who becomes a long term starter with a couple of all pro seasons.

Perhaps I just feel that "great" is a more seldom occurring event than others.

I can kind of get what you're saying, but I guess if the players themselves are considered to be great, I find it difficult to dismiss the selection as less than that, simply because of where it was.  There are plenty of first rounders who turn out to be complete garbage, so I would hardly regard something like a 12-year starting career with Pro Bowls to be nothing more than "as expected".

Not to mention in this case we're talking greatest... for the Jets.  You've kind of got to grade on a curve there.

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Marvin Powell belongs on the list.  So does Freeman McNeil.  I would put Gerry Philbin > John Abraham and probably Shaun Ellis too.  

You're probably correct. but I dont know Marvin Powell because I've not seen him play. I've not seen Namath play but I know his impact on this organization so it's just a given. However, my list comprises of guys who I've seen play. Some may have left the team early but I still think that they were the best draft picks during my 20+ years following the team. 

I cant speak for those other guys. I could have also put guys like Klecko on the list as well, but then im just going for names and not folks who actually had an impact on me as a Jets fan. 

I got to draw the line somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Mangold and Brick should definitely be on this list. I wouldn't have included John Abraham. If you're going to include Leon Washington you should then put Brad Smith on the list for the same reason. Chad Pennington should also be on the list.

Ok, so maybe we needed a top 12 list?

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

I mean I'd like to think criteria is value, dominance, and loyalty and/or career with team. If I went 80's forward:

1. Mangold

2. Walker

3. Toon

4. Klecko

5. McNeil

6. D'Brick

7. Gastineau

8. Shuler 

9. V. Green

10. Glenn

Klecko was a 6th round pick

Victor Green was a UDFA

Gastineau was a 2nd round pick

Shuler was a 3rd round pick

Those were real good picks for a team without a history of good picks.

i would add Joe Fields, 14th round, Marvin Powell, Randy Rasmussen in the 12th round

Depends on the definition of great.

Jason Ferguson, mentioned up thread, is a great call in value terms.

If It's about value, I'd like a shout out to Jason Fabini. 

4th round pick as an RT, solidified the LT spot for 6 or 7 years.

...and while I am reminiscing about good late round Olinemen, who remembers Dwayne White - 7th rounder out of Alcorn in the Blair Thomas draft.

Looked soft as hell, but a ferocious run-blocker with good feet. He and Terance Mathis (6th round) were easily our best picks in that draft.

15 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Depends on the definition of great.

Jason Ferguson, mentioned up thread, is a great call in value terms.

If It's about value, I'd like a shout out to Jason Fabini. 

4th round pick as an RT, solidified the LT spot for 6 or 7 years.

s-l1000.jpgriggins-jets.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

quarterback-joe-namath-of-the-new-york-j

quarterback-joe-namath-of-the-new-york-j

:wine:

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Klecko was a 6th round pick

Victor Green was a UDFA

Gastineau was a 2nd round pick

Shuler was a 3rd round pick

Those were real good picks for a team without a history of good picks.

i would add Joe Fields, 14th round, Marvin Powell, Randy Rasmussen in the 12th round

I forgot Green was an UFDA, I was thinking he went in whatever the last round was back then. Chrebet and him have to be two best there.

Archived