Cleveland Reporter now saying Dorsey finally showed his board to his staff and it's going to be Mayfield at 1

Bruce Harper

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

With the #1 pick you'd think he wouldn't have to blow smoke. I liked it a few years back when they could have already announced their pick and have him signed and the Giants would be on the clock.

but since they have the 4th pick, they can field calls for that pick assuming the top 3 qbs are off the board.  if the browns take mayfield it's a decent assumption that darnold/rosen go next so any team (bills) that really wants allen would have to give up more for the 4th pick.

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Mayfield has 9 1/4" hands. larger hands than that are not necessary to throw the ball properly.

Average hand size for civilians is under 7.5"

we've heard for months that cleveland wants a big qb to play in the afc north.  i still doubt they're picking mayfield.  

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It's all posturing to do what 9 hours before the draft?

yes.

No way any member of the Cleveland staff "leaked" this unless he was told to do so.  (Or unless he was paid under the table).  

anyway, I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't think we'll see it, TBH.

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I want Rosen.

Ive seen theories about Cle taking Baker rumors are to pressure Darnold because they can’t negotiate with him. Also that Cle is trying to find their leak.

Sone say Browns wanted Saquin at 1, Baker at 4, but Jets trade + heavy buzz of Jets taking Baker = strategy change.

Jets pumping Baker may causechim to rise into top 2, thus pushing Darnold/Rosen backwards a pick.

And if this is what happens...Macc should be applauded. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

we've heard for months that cleveland wants a big qb to play in the afc north.  i still doubt they're picking mayfield.  

It really doesn't matter to me as long as we get one of the 3 I'll be happy. 

I think it's a toss up and I'd be willing to bet that 2 of the 3 become probowlers. 

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, and the Jets also already know a lot about Darnold.  They were at his Pro Day, saw him at the Combine, Macc went to that UCLA - USC game to watch both Rosen and Darnold.  It's not like the Jets are just now getting to know Sam Darnold.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

but since they have the 4th pick, they can field calls for that pick assuming the top 3 qbs are off the board.  if the browns take mayfield it's a decent assumption that darnold/rosen go next so any team (bills) that really wants allen would have to give up more for the 4th pick.

Yes but they WILL take a QB at 1 so it's quite possible that 3 will be off the board anyway by the time pick #4 comes around.  Makes no difference as to who they pick at #1.

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I want Rosen.

Ive seen theories about Cle taking Baker rumors are to pressure Darnold because they can’t negotiate with him. Also that Cle is trying to find their leak.

Sone say Browns wanted Saquin at 1, Baker at 4, but Jets trade + heavy buzz of Jets taking Baker = strategy change.

Jets pumping Baker may causechim to rise into top 2, thus pushing Darnold/Rosen backwards a pick.

I thought the rookie pay scale was set out in the CBA.  Why would Darnold be hard to sign?

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

It really doesn't matter to me as long as we get one of the 3 I'll be happy. 

I think it's a toss up and I'd be willing to bet that 2 of the 3 become probowlers. 

i love baker's game and i think darnold will pan out but i think the best qb for the jets is rosen.  he would instantly give the offense an intelligence and presence they haven't had in decades.  put him in with anderson/enunwa/pryor and all the other junk they have and he will throw them open.

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

And this is the reason you trade up to #3.  If we were at #6 and Mayfield went at #1

could you imagine the chaos in trying to move up and what it would cost?

Bingo.  If it went 1. Mayfield and 2. Darnold this place would lose its mind as Rosen likely went next between 3 and 5, the Jets sitting at #6 and praying that somehow Allen fell to us.  Crazy.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

Yes but they WILL take a QB at 1 so it's quite possible that 3 will be off the board anyway by the time pick #4 comes around.  Makes no difference as to who they pick at #1.

if the browns took darnold, the giants may take barkley so there could be 2 qbs left when pick #4 comes around.  but if the giants take darnold and the jets take rosen then that's a worst case for teams wanting to trade up, even the broncos if they are worried about teams leaping them if they want allen.  the 4th pick becomes that much more valuable if the giants take a qb.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Bingo.  If it went 1. Mayfield and 2. Darnold this place would lose its mind as Rosen likely went next between 3 and 5, the Jets sitting at #6 and praying that somehow Allen fell to us.  Crazy.

at that point indy could get a ton for their pick and the jets would be parting with next year's #1 in any deal.

30 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love how your brain can't even entertain the thought of Josh Allen being the pick. Ignoring Allen doesn't decrease the chances the Jets opt to take him. If Mayfield goes 1 and Darnold goes 2, there is a real chance the Jets go with Allen. Just saying. 

I love how this post is getting so much hate. Makes me really really want the Jets to draft Josh Allen.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i love baker's game and i think darnold will pan out but i think the best qb for the jets is rosen.  he would instantly give the offense an intelligence and presence they haven't had in decades.  put him in with anderson/enunwa/pryor and all the other junk they have and he will throw them open.

If it weren't for the time missed from injuries I would agree that Rosen is the best prospect.

Darnold is the worst but higher upside and so young.

Mayfield is in between but I like his confidence, and it's infectious. 

Happy with all the above. Only the risk of Allen is worrying me.

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, they're obviously not keeping it a secret anymore.  Question - Isn't Mayfield not attending the Draft?  This could be odd.

No mayfield is in Dallas. It’s Rosen that’s staying home I think.

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

91/2 is the average size for civilians or Mayfield ?  Mayfield did measure 9 1/4 at the combine.

7.44 inches

According to various human anatomy websites, the average-height American adult male (5-foot-10) has an average hand size (measured from the tip of the middle finger to the wrist) of 7.44 inches. Trump's measures 7.25 inches.Aug 3, 2016

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't think it's the post but the prospect of it being true that is upsetting to people. 

I know. I just don't understand how posters can be so sure a player will fail. I've said it a million times, they are just triggered by the thought of a Hackenberg sequel. 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the browns took darnold, the giants may take barkley so there could be 2 qbs left when pick #4 comes around.  but if the giants take darnold and the jets take rosen then that's a worst case for teams wanting to trade up, even the broncos if they are worried about teams leaping them if they want allen.  the 4th pick becomes that much more valuable if the giants take a qb.

OK but my point was why BS about taking Mayfield?  By the time the Giants are OTC everyone ( Bills etc) will know Cleveland took Darnold . I think teams looking to move up  will only trade during that 10 min. period when they know their guy is there.

56 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Mary Kay Cabot on Sirius saying that Dorsey finally revealed to his Brown underlings that it will be Mayfield at 1.  Smoke?

If true im not surprised. It would be a good pick in terms of drafting a QB as well as a nice guy to sit behind Tyrod and learn from him. They're the same size, and though Tyrod is much more athletic than Mayfield, Mayfield is a much better passer and is still a decent athlete. Putting Mayfield in a position the develop behind the scenes is great. Giving the keys to rookie QB where that team is 1-31 the past 2 seasons isnt a good idea. They should allow Tyrod to play the entire season, if Jarvis Landry proves to be a great pickup then extend him next offseason and solidify another experienced WR to provide to Mayfield next season. 

If they go Mayfield and Chubb, probably take a few of those 2nd round picks.and trade back up into the 1st round late and draft a guy like Isaiah Oliver as well as get a quality FS that would allow them to put Jabrill Peppers back to his natural position, the Browns could possibly turn this around in 1 season. 

Or it could be smoke and the Browns are trying to force a team, like the Jets for example, to trade up when they really dont have to. 

The only thing we know for certain is that Josh Allen really love Lil'Wayne music. :-) 

Archived