I think we smoke screened Cleveland to get Sam

nico002

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

How Baker Mayfield goes #1 is beyond me...let that sink in.

Its Cleveland.  The only reason why the Jets aren't the worst franchise in the history of the NFL

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Interesting thought....although I do think Jets really liked Mayfield

Yah they liked that fire he brings.

7 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Very possible

still should’ve took Barkley, worst thing that could’ve happened was they got Darnold

He's an elite player, no doubt, but I still question the positional value of a RB with a top five pick. I think the best situation Barkley could have ended up in is the Giants, since they already have a QB

The question is which QB did the Jets really really want?  It might have been Mayfield and based on early predictions the Jets thought no way he goes 1 or 2. So it slips out that the Jets like him and the Jets basically blew it because they never thought Cleveland would pick him. BUT Mac and the Jets saved face by landing Darnold. This is the most likely scenario. 

It would be awful hard to believe that the Jets wanted Darnold all along and their plan was to say they wanted Mayfield in order to get Darnold. I have a hard time believing that.

26 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

He's an elite player, no doubt, but I still question the positional value of a RB with a top five pick. I think the best situation Barkley could have ended up in is the Giants, since they already have a QB

Would’ve preferred

Barkley/ Mayfield or Darnold if we took Mayfield

than

Mayfield/ Ward

34 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

The question is which QB did the Jets really really want?  It might have been Mayfield and based on early predictions the Jets thought no way he goes 1 or 2. So it slips out that the Jets like him and the Jets basically blew it because they never thought Cleveland would pick him. BUT Mac and the Jets saved face by landing Darnold. This is the most likely scenario. 

It would be awful hard to believe that the Jets wanted Darnold all along and their plan was to say they wanted Mayfield in order to get Darnold. I have a hard time believing that.

Think it's for the best. Mayfield has a big mouth which would have gotten him in trouble in the NY market. In Cleveland, nobody's really gonna care what he says, especially when the Browns go 0-16 again. Darnold, on the other hand, is the better QB and is a low key guy, so he'll do very well here

That's plausible, though not a guarantee. They sure were all over him and seemed to visibly be enamored with him during the process... maybe it really was all just a ruse to drive up his value and make Sam slip?

This doesn't feel like a cray conspiracy theory, that's for sure, I can see them trying this all while being genuinely high on Mayfield if it didn't work. Like maybe they were more than okay with showing how much they liked him because of that?

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

The whole “Mayfield is a lock to Jets” forced Cle to take him at #1 instead of #4 where he would have been 100%.

Cle SHOULD have gone Barkley then Mayfield but Jets forced the panic move.

I think this is a strong possibility. Remember when Bowles publicly praised Mayfield. No coach does that.

Browns master plan was to take Barkley 1 and Mayfield 4, but Browns got spooked by Jets, which allowed Jets to choose between Darnold and Rosen

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

I think the Jets wanted Rosen thinking that the Giants would draft Darnold after the Browns took Mayfield.

1 minute ago, aec4 said:

No reason to move from 6.  Cleveland wasn’t taking 2 qb.  Worth risk stay 6.   Paid way too much to get to 3.  

You don’t know if it shakes out the same way Indy was desperate to trade down plus Darnold is a safer qb prospect than Allen and Rosen and I like those guys

23 minutes ago, SMC said:

I think this is a strong possibility. Remember when Bowles publicly praised Mayfield. No coach does that.

Browns master plan was to take Barkley 1 and Mayfield 4, but Browns got spooked by Jets, which allowed Jets to choose between Darnold and Rosen

I think Mayfield charmed Dorsey in the interview.  Manziel was the same way he also knew how to turn on the charm when the adults are around.

Darnold is from what I heard actually a quiet reserved guy in person.  Dorsey wanted sizzle.  Let him have it

I think Haslam is a meddler.

I think the Jets board was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  It was worth a trade to 3.  They stuck to their board.

The Cardinals have 3 immobile QBs.  Mac does not believe in an OL.  The Jets needed a tough QB who can throw on the move.  

Sanchez' biggest problem is that the Jets messed him up.  Darnold can be good. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

oh, I completely agree.  

We just got the #1 QB in the draft...and it's def. possible the Jets played the game and won.

But not probable. Cleveland obviously liked Mayfield better than Darnold.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think Haslam is a meddler.

I think the Jets board was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  It was worth a trade to 3.  They stuck to their board.

The Cardinals have 3 immobile QBs.  Mac does not believe in an OL.  The Jets needed a tough QB who can throw on the move.  

Sanchez' biggest problem is that the Jets messed him up.  Darnold can be good. 

I liked Rosen and still think he will be good especially in Arizona that’s a very good situation for him.  Allen has the tools to play in crappy buffalo weather but they dismantled their O-line

I’m thrilled with Darnold.  We finally got a legit qb

Just now, Philc1 said:

I liked Rosen and still think he will be good especially in Arizona that’s a very good situation for him.  Allen has the tools to play in crappy buffalo weather but they dismantled their O-line

Yes plus they too lost both their 2nd rounders.

19 minutes ago, aec4 said:

No reason to move from 6.  Cleveland wasn’t taking 2 qb.  Worth risk stay 6.   Paid way too much to get to 3.  

Guy, we havent had a legit QB prospect since Pennington. Nobody will care about a couple of 2nd rd picks if Darnold pans out. Sheesh.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

The whole “Mayfield is a lock to Jets” forced Cle to take him at #1 instead of #4 where he would have been 100%.

Cle SHOULD have gone Barkley then Mayfield but Jets forced the panic move.

I think the NYJ wanted either Darnold or Rosen primarily.  Darnold was their top pick (now obvious), Rosen was probably #2 with Mayfield #3...so they floated stuff about Mayfield and crossed their fingers...knowing they'd get one of them, and the smokescreen about Mayfield would come in handy if indeed they did end up with Mayfield at 3.

Worked like a charm ;)

2 hours ago, SMC said:

yeah I'm well aware...  just like no coach names an unsigned QB as the starter.... oops forgot  :/

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Bills are the Panthers.  They will know how to integrate Allen.  The Jets got the right player for them at 3.

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

there is no way that CLE takes Mayfield unless the Jets pose as a serious threat....and no way the Jets had Mayfield over Darnold.

If the Jets wanted Mayfield, there is no way they trade up

Archived