Someone sell me on Darnold

greenwichjetfan

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont understand why anyone needs to be sold on Darnold. He has been the consensus top pick for a year, he is the youngest, and he wins and puts up points.  The turnovers last year really doesnt change any of what i said.  We also dont have to rush him which is probably the best course of action

23 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I wasn’t a fan of the pick.  I still think of Sanchez and Leinart when I think of USC QB.  Darnold also probably won’t see the field for a year or two.  If Rosen doesn’t have two concussions we probably take him.  

Darnold is a much better prospect than either....and its not close

3 hours ago, Hael said:

If you watch tape on him, he is the only qb in the draft (along with Rosen) who really has NFL ready throws.  It's extremely rare for any college qb to be able to do that, and that's why those two guys have been so heavily hyped.  Even players like Aaron Rogers weren't making those types of throws in college (it took a few years).

Some guys have great arm strength (hell, look no further than Hack and Petty), but that's really not enough.  You need the combination of release speed, the tightness of the spiral, the velocity and angle of the ball and crucially the accuracy of placement that sets a pro ready qb from someone who isn't.

Anyway, couple that with a good work ethic, and we finally have a player that has a nonzero chance of developing into a good QB.  Compare that with a prospect like Hack who really isn't interesting, simply b/c you know that he will never end up with over a 55% completion percentage in the pros.

I agree with everything you mentioned and its a big reason why Darnold was so hyped throughout his whole football career.

This is gonna sound dumb but is actually really important and a reason why some super talented QBs are great and others are just average.

Darnold has great footwork. It helps his with escapability, timing, accuracy and reads.   

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hate Debbie downers. This site is filled with them and is generally why I read the site 10x/day but average only 1 post/day. SOJF aren’t worth my time, I say. But today, I realize I sound like one.

I want to be happy and excited. I woke up yesterday like a 7 year old on Christmas, knowing we were going to get our choice of 2 of the top 3 QBs, knowing that there was no way we’d make the Allen mistake because I see Mac growing before our eyes, and knowing that we’d choose one of them. I cleared my entire afternoon even though I have a major deadline looming for today. I WFH, went to MetLife with my brother and best friend, tailgated with @Maxman and got to meet TailgateJoe. I was amped for the draft. I knew I’d be excited. 

However, standing there on the field at the 50 in MetLife while the Jets were on the clock, I found myself hoping for the most cerebral guy in the draft who happens to be able to make every single throw on the field, and when Goodell called Darnold, I found myself to be upset. I don’t want to feel this way. 

Someone please sell me on Darnold. Sell me on why his turnovers, small hands, minimal starting experience, and USC non-pro-style background are irrelevant or can be amended with age and experience.

Or better yet, someone go the other way and sell me on why Darnold will be throwing TDS in meaningful December and January (and hopefully February) games for the next 12-15 years.

Strengths:

• Naturally accurate passer
  • Fits passes into tight windows
  • Excellnt ball placement
  • Throws a catchable ball
  • Pocket presence
  • Has poise
  • Advanced anticipation; instinctive thrower
  • Throws with good timing
  • Can accelerate his throwing motion
  • Quality arm strength
  • Pushed team to wins
  • Good internal clock
  • Mobility
  • Throws very well on the run
  • Throws accurately off platform
  • Displays some feel in the pocket
  • Not easy to sack
  • Can hurt defenses on the ground
  • Can make all the throws required
  • Can pick up yards on the ground
  • Threads passes into tight windows
  • Throws receivers open
  • Can beat good coverage with his arm and accuracy
  • Potential for good field vision
  • Can move eyes through progressions
  • Smooth, natural passer
  • Instincts
  • Stands tall in the pocket
  • Throws knowing he is going get hit
  • Impressive precision
  • Great fit for a west coast offense
  • Good footwork
  • Good ball placement and timing to lead receivers for yards after the catch
  • Excellent intangibles
  • Smart
  • Good worker
  • Good teammate
  • Upside

Negatives

• Lacks elite Moxie
  • Not Jewish
  •  Can't throw a football 80  yards from his knees
  • Not diverse

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s actually a  great thread and I’m gkad you made it. Enjoying everyone’s answers. I fell in love with Sam watching the 2016 Rosebowl. If you got time get a table full of food and drink and watch “ our boy” play that game. It’s one game but damn!!!

Plus at only 20 he could be our guy for twenty years. He seems to have the make up and durability for that. Again, excellent thread and thanks for sharing. 

I appreciate it.

Based on a lot of the recs here, I’ve made it a priority to watch the Rose Bowl and a couple of other games this weekend. 

The table full of food and beer is a nice touch.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Strengths:

• Pocket presence
  • Has poise
  • Quality arm strength
  • Pushed team to wins
  • Good internal clock
  • Mobility
  • Not easy to sack
  • Throws receivers open
  • Smooth, natural passer
  • Instincts
  • Impressive precision
  • Good footwork
  • Excellent intangibles
  • Smart
  • Good worker
  • Good teammate
  • Upside

Negatives

• Lacks elite Moxie
  • Not Jewish
  •  Can't throw a football 80  yards from his knees
  • Not diverse

LOL at this. Must ave taken some time. Kudos. I love that we got Darnold. I still think Rosen is the better passer but I simply did not even think Darnold would be there. I for sure thought the Giants would nab him if the Browns decided to go with Allen or Mayfield. I think the Giants made a mistake, despite Barkley being a stellar prospect. This was a golden opportunity to get a blue chip QB prospect to replace Eli before Eli becomes complete trash or straight up retires. They decide to go the short term route. So I think that is a mistake. Barkley is a great player but taking a RB that high without a young QB in place is a risk-IMHO. Jets got lucky with Darnold. Hopefully we can get a stellar pass rush prospect in the 3rd.  

Based on film I watched, the best thing about Darnold is how he moves.

Very good sense of where pressure is coming from, escapes well, throws on the run nicely, etc...  He seems to have what I refer to as the Roethlisberger "360 degrees eyes" thing.

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LOL at this. Must ave taken some time. Kudos. I love that we got Darnold. I still think Rosen is the better passer but I simply did not even think Darnold would be there. I for sure thought the Giants would nab him if the Browns decided to go with Allen or Mayfield. I think the Giants made a mistake, despite Barkley being a stellar prospect. This was a golden opportunity to get a blue chip QB prospect to replace Eli before Eli becomes complete trash or straight up retires. They decide to go the short term route. So I think that is a mistake. Barkley is a great player but taking a RB that high without a young QB in place is a risk-IMHO. Jets got lucky with Darnold. Hopefully we can get a stellar pass rush prospect in the 3rd.  

Agreed about the Giants. As we all know, it's ******* hard to avoid being mediocre in this league.

Also lol from gettleman's presser. He sounds like such an old man. 

“People call you and they want the second pick in the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog,’’ Gettleman said. “Go away, leave me alone, I ain’t got time to screw around.’’

16 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Copied the "Positives" from walterfootball.com

Strengths:

• Pocket presence
  • Has poise
  • Quality arm strength
  • Pushed team to wins
  • Good internal clock
  • Mobility
  • Not easy to sack
  • Throws receivers open
  • Smooth, natural passer
  • Instincts
  • Impressive precision
  • Good footwork
  • Excellent intangibles
  • Smart
  • Good worker
  • Good teammate
  • Upside

•  
  •  

Truth:

Darnold will give us some cringe-worthy moments early on. A bad INT. A fumble. Some sloppy footwork and mechanics.

But...he will also pull out some magic in big fourth quarter moments. Those moments will win over the fans and locker room quickly. 

He will take a bit of patience but is a winner. The anchor of this offense for years to come.

My favorite part of him...when the play breaks down his eyes are always down field. He doesn't panic. He is looking to make plays. Win games. By any means necessary. None of those other top QBs have his accuracy and arm AND can run it in. He will scramble for a handful of TDs every year. That is a nice dimension to have. And he is money in the red zone.

This is not Sanchez. Or Barkley. Or Kessler. A different player than Carson Palmer but that kind of USC talent.

Just now, jetsfaneh said:

Truth:

Darnold will give us some cringe-worthy moments early on. A bad INT. A fumble. Some sloppy footwork and mechanics.

But...he will also pull out some magic in big fourth quarter moments. Those moments will win over the fans and locker room quickly. 

He will take a bit of patience but is a winner. The anchor of this offense for years to come.

My favorite part of him...when the play breaks down his eyes are always down field. He doesn't panic. He is looking to make plays. Win games. By any means necessary. None of those other top QBs have his accuracy and arm AND can run it in. He will scramble for a handful of TDs every year. That is a nice dimension to have. And he is money in the red zone.

This is not Sanchez. Or Barkley. Or Kessler. A different player than Carson Palmer but that kind of USC talent.

Agreed.  I'm also getting tired of people saying that just because past USC QBs didn't work out that Darnold will bust.  First off Darnold is  a much better prospect,  also he is younger so those mistakes can be cleaned up easier

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe but you never hear him talk like that outwardly. Rosen is a talker. 

That's not true.  He's talked about how motivated he was by being picked late, and as the 7th QB taken (in a QB wasteland of a draft, no less.  Chad Pennington, Brady, and Marc Bulger were the only ones to have careers).

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Revis needs to sold on Darnold as well since he preferred Rosen:

I actually think Revis is right. But the more I think about it the more I am swayed that Rosen's injury history is a legitimate concern and a big reason why he slid.  

Rosen is more pro ready and obviously has a much larger understanding of football than Darnold.  Darnold is  more of a project.  But people can be taught systems and how to read defenses.  

The reason Rosen wasn't chosen is b/c of his injury history and much more crucially, he gives off major Cutler vibes.  Recall that Cutler was an elite qb in the league for a few years there when he was younger, but then sorta tapered off into who gives a **** mode.  You can't have that in your franchise pick.  You have to want it day in and day out to keep wanting to perfect the little things necessary in order to win.

8 minutes ago, Hael said:

Rosen is more pro ready and obviously has a much larger understanding of football than Darnold.  Darnold is  more of a project.  But people can be taught systems and how to read defenses.  

The reason Rosen wasn't chosen is b/c of his injury history and much more crucially, he gives off major Cutler vibes.  Recall that Cutler was an elite qb in the league for a few years there when he was younger, but then sorta tapered off into who gives a **** mode.  You can't have that in your franchise pick.  You have to want it day in and day out to keep wanting to perfect the little things necessary in order to win.

The reading defendes issue is a potential problem though. Both Sanchez and Geno put up amazing numbers in college and had tremendous physical skills but the NFL found them out mentally....this is a major factor in becoming a successful franchise QB

Archived