My Draft Thoughts-Round 1-Picks 1-8

varjet

As a big picture matter, I think the teams are keeping their intentions close to the vest-there seemed to be alot of surprise picks.

Although hard to predict, there should be good players for the Jets to pick at the top of round 3, because there were players picked in round 1 that were surprises.   2 Round 2 picks would have been good, but it is good to have Darnold. 

The following are thoughts and observations on picks 1-8.  This is only a first round thing. 

1-Browns/Mayfield-it is hard to second guess this pick.  The analytics were compelling.  We will just have to see.  I do think Dorsey is very confident and wants to forge his own way-he is either genius or obtinate.  Based on the observations of Dorsey in action, I am glad that the Jets did not hire him.  The Browns will be entertaining.  

2-Giants/Barkley-as many of us predicted.  First sign of a team-teams are reluctant to draft a QB high when they already have someone expensive under contract.  The Giants will try to be good this year, which is good.  I respect that.

3-Jets/Darnold-we were supposed to completely s=== for him in 2017.  Can't second guess it, but I think of the 4, Darnold may have been 3 in projected ability to run Bates' offense.  The only positions they should draft now are EDGE and OL.

4-Browns/Ward-I guess they want a cover corner.  They had an EDGE and S from last year.  

5-Broncos/Chubb-Elway is another guy trying to outsmart people.  They want to be good this year.  They are paying Keenum.  I think he regrets passing on Rosen.

6-Colts/Nelson-smart move.

7-Bills/Allen-I sense that Pegula is a meddler, but I like their FO.  They will try and replicate Newton.  I think this is a credible attempt and Allen is a better fit than Rosen.

8-Bears/Smith-tough to argue with this.  

I have a hard time getting past the fact that you skipped from pick 5 to 7, and then jumped to 10 before going back to 8. 

But other than that, I agree with your 1 and 2.  Not sure we should focus solely on Edge and OL but agree they are big needs.  If a 2nd round value slips at TE or RB, I wouldn't hate that pick.  I think anyone that can improve the offense (i.e. good chance to play on downs 1-3) is worth a shot at the top of the 3rd round.

3-Jets/Darnold-we were supposed to completely s=== for him in 2017.  Can't second guess it, but I think of the 4, Darnold may have been 3 in projected ability to run Bates' offense.

So Bates actually fooled himself by going with Darnold because Bates doesn't know his own system better than you? Some of the stuff people post here is actually astonishing.

Archived