What do you think of Allen going to the Bills?

freestater

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. Although you have to wonder what the Jets and Bills saw that caused them to avoid Rosen. Something there.

True, but we also don't know how close they were rated.  It could have been just a hair different.  Maybe the Jets had Darnold at 97 and Rosen at 96?  In any case, Rosen at 10 looks like the best VALUE of the round.  Not saying he'll be the best QB but Rosen at 10 vs. Mayfield at 1?....no brainer to me....and I like Mayfield.

17 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. Although you have to wonder what the Jets and Bills saw that caused them to avoid Rosen. Something there.

Walterfootball mentions some “unreported” stuff about Rosen that they viewed as a negative. Who knows? 

I think Allen has the highest ceiling of the bunch, and is designed for the cold weather. I didn’t want the Jets to take the chance on him, but I wouldn’t write him off just yet, either. 

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I am often wowed by his sheer arm talent, but I didn't want him.  Buffalo may be a good fit, with a strong running game complemented by a deep passing game.

He could beat out McCarron fairly quickly. But he has a long way to go to be a consistent NFL QB.  If he plays this year, he will throw some incredible TDs....and a far greater number of ridiculously horrific passes.

so buffalo has mccarron,peterman and allen.  they don't scare me much. allen needs to sit and learn for a while.

They obviously decided the arm strength and hand size were a good fit for that stadium and weather 

They are not wrong 

Like all 5 QBs drafted, developing them patiently and surrounding them with protection and weapons will have a lot to do with their success 

15 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The Draft bozos on ESPN said something I had not heard.  That Rosen did not do great in end of game situations where he had to bring a team up the field. That he mase injudicious throws in those situations.  I guess they were implying leadership problems.  He is also a jerk, as he has evidenced.

22 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Because he has such a strong arm people forget how terrible his deep accuracy is, in particular. This pick has disaster written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You were wrong about Allen not going top 10 and you're wrong about this. Don't forget Rosen was still there when the Bills chose Allen. We'll know in about 2 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

You were wrong about Allen not going top 10 and you're wrong about this. Don't forget Rosen was still there when the Bills chose Allen. We'll know in about 2 years.

I said he would fall to the Bills at 12 and he may have if they didn't panic and trade up to 7.  But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  It would be kind of fun for the division if he turns out to be good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I said he would fall to the Bills at 12 and he may have if they didn't panic and trade up to 7.  But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  It would be kind of fun for the division if he turns out to be good.

If he turns out to be good I don't think the word "fun" would come to our minds.  Perhaps another word beginning with F . lol

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I said all along I think Allen has by far the highest ceiling, so I’m concerned that he’s with BUF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don’t have an OL.  They lost both Glenn and Incognito.  Allen could be on his way to the next David Carr

On 4/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The Jets didn’t avoid Rosen.  Just took Darnold because he was the consensus best player.  Rosen has better mechanics but Darnold is the bigger play maker.

The Bills took Allen because of his arm.  They figured the two games a year they play ona blizzard, they will have an advantage.  

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

The Jets didn’t avoid Rosen.  Just took Darnold because he was the consensus best player.  Rosen has better mechanics but Darnold is the bigger play maker.

The Bills took Allen because of his arm.  They figured the two games a year they play ona blizzard, they will have an advantage.  

One team passes, I get it. But two? Remember, Rosen was being touted as 1/2 with Darnold. Something just didn't add up, whether it was injury concern, personality/attitude, or feeling he doesn't have much higher ceiling.

I don't see the obvious inaccuracy the "experts" keep alluding to.  He makes plenty of throws that look on the money to me.

I see some more subtle inaccuracy, but only occasionally.  Such as throwing the ball to the wrong shoulder (not away from the nearest defender), or missing a little high but still a catchable ball.   Sometimes he might throw a little behind a guy but again, the receiver still makes the play.  These "subtle" misfires could become amplified x10 at the next level, but he isn't missing by a mile like they make it sound.

He is a very good athlete, with a very good arm.  He could work out to be an excellent pick for Buffalo.   Dismissing him as another talented project destined to fail is a mistake.  He might fail... but he could be a success.   This kid has balls.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

One team passes, I get it. But two? Remember, Rosen was being touted as 1/2 with Darnold. Something just didn't add up, whether it was injury concern, personality/attitude, or feeling he doesn't have much higher ceiling.

By this logic, Baker Mayfield is better than every player in this draft.  Judging Rosen’s ability because Cleveland and Buffalo passed on him for inferior prospects would be off base.  Those two franchises haven’t had legit QBs since the very early 1990’s.  

I would almost guarantee that when Rosen starts playing, he will perform better than both Mayfield and Allen.  He’s got David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.  

Nobody will fault the Jets for selecting Darnold over Rosen and Allen.  By almost all accounts, Darnold is the consensus better prospect.  But Buffalo trading up to 7 and passing on Rosen for Allen will be debated for years.  It could turn out to be the right call, but it's very debatable right now.

I'm glad New England and Miami didn't really address their future QB needs during this Draft, although I honestly like both of their Drafts this year.  Miami got a good value at #11 with Minkah and NE looks to be finally building around the running game, maybe as a bridge from Brady to whoever the next guy is.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Cold weather guy in a cold weather city. Kinda makes sense. I did think they could have gotten him later but its all good. Hopefully they don't rush him and let him play when he is ready, and don't throw him to the wolves before then.

It sounds like they will as the coach went against that notice and said he could even start off training camp as the starter. Said of all the QBs prospects he's the only one that came from a pro system and the other two guys on the roster only got a 2 week headstart on the playbook.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, SpartanJet said:

I Thought Allen had the most potential of all the QB's.  I'm happy we got Darnold but I would have been happy Rosen or Allen as well.

I hope he doesn't reach that potential with the Bills or it will be a long 10+ years.

In terms of most pure potential I agree.  Allen probably has the highest upside because of his physicality.  But Darnold is probably 2nd.  I think there's a lot of untapped potential with Darnold without having the level of risk that comes with Allen.

None of these guys are perfect, but they all have different issues.  Darnold and Allen have some things that can be worked on.  Coaches can address footwork and decision-making to try to improve accuracy and reduce interceptions.  But no amount of coaching will give Baker Mayfield two more inches of height.  No amount of coaching will erase shoulder surgeries and concussions from Josh Rosen's past.

We done good, fellas.  We got a great prospect with lots of upside and limited risk.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:39 PM, BCJet said:

God you are an insufferable complainer.

Our line with Spencer Long and a healthy winters is significantly improved from 2017 and we havent even gotten through the 3rd or 4th round which could produce an improvement for Carpenter.

Wasnt talking about the jets OL I was talking about the bills

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Cold weather guy in a cold weather city. Kinda makes sense. I did think they could have gotten him later but its all good. Hopefully they don't rush him and let him play when he is ready, and don't throw him to the wolves before then.

His only camp competition is a guy who threw 5 picks in a half and a noodlearm. Allen is going to start immediately 

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

It sounds like they will as the coach went against that notice and said he could even start off training camp as the starter. Said of all the QBs prospects he's the only one that came from a pro system and the other two guys on the roster only got a 2 week headstart on the playbook.

Just another case of the Bills being the Bills. Sometimes stupid just follows a franchise.