Welcome Nathan Shepherd

LAD_Brooklyn

If Bill Belichick made this pick the entire nation would be gizzing in their pants over it & everyone here knows it! Jets got their man at #3 so they threw caution to the wind & took a flyer on a hard working beast that has James Harrison measurables and an unreal work ethic. A guy that was tossing around supposed top 10 olineman at the senior bowl. Kevin Green will be able to relate & might just be able to turn this guy into a monster. The most successful Dlineman in this league have been underrated grinders like Harrison (UDFA), John Randall (UDFA), and a nice comparison, and many more. While guys like Mo Wilkerson waste their talent because they don't have the drive it takes to bust your azz on every play.

At least I know as a fan this guys going 100% on every play. We'll have a ton of money next free agency to land another top guy on the Oline with experience & im sure 2019s draft will be all about surrounding our man Darnold with talent. We still have 4,5,6,7, I'm pretty sure you'll see an Oline pick in there.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

A 25 year old Canadian DT from a small D2 school that scouts consider "raw".  Mac is a combine geek.  Draft football players from now on, please.

Yeah, a kid that worked his ASS off because all he wants to do is play football, and he is built like a tank.

He is going to suck.

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anytime you get a 2nd round value player in the 3rd, at a position of need, thats a good value pick. 

I don’t know anythinf about this kid, but we can hope for the best. I’m not feeling the 25 years old part though.

With his size he can play 7-8 yrs in the middle.  It’s not like he’s done when he loses a bit of speed.  

After all the crappy picks we’ve endured over the past few decades, just pick guys who can play at least reasonably well and don’t suck.  

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Is almost as funny as you thinking you know anything about this guy and what kind of pick it is.  

Yes because we always have so much success in the 2nd round. 

What are your thoughts on him or are you just here to criticize my posts as usual. 

Im not alone in my opinions did you also ridicule others? 

Game over. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Jet Nut. 

10 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most Jets fans dont seem to realize that DL is actually a need for us now. Experts seem high on him so Okay

I think that in itself is creating more angst then the actually player we just picked. After what we have invested over the years in DL its kinda crazy we had to use our only second day pick on a D lineman. It is what it is.  Next thing that bothers me is he never played elite competition so if it takes a couple for him to develop then we are looking at a guy in his late 20's already.  So the pick looks bad because its obviously a need right now but no reason to think he can play right now. Just drafted a back up project that could be almost thirity before he catches on.

I could understand an outcry if we drafted a safety in the 3rd round but sometimes its mind boggling how people react to any move we make. 

QB - OMG why did we trade up?

DLT - OMG so many other needs

OL - OMG so many other needs

WR - OMG so many other needs

TE - WHY??

RB - OMG so many other needs

10 hours ago, kthisguy said:

You are absolutely correct the DL needs some help. However, the OL needs so much more help. We are short on draft picks (5th I think is gone for SF corner back) and take the best tackle and if he fails move him to guard.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I believe the front office is of the opinion that our new Center and O line coaching will result in much improved O line play across the board. So, in their view the need to replace Mo was higher than the O line need.

I think the guys age is an interesting issue because big D lineman like him seem to have their peak years plaw wise after the age of 25.

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Has added almost 100 pounds to his frame since high school and he still has room for strength gains.." What the .... Canada has some pretty lax PED enforcement. Jump to your own conclusions.

He went to college in the US.  “Since high school” would imply he added 100 pounds while he was in college in the US no? In Canada the word “since” means after... Draw your own conclusions.

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

Only JETS fans would be pissed that they scooped a 2nd round talent with a 3rd round pick at a position of need...wtf..

I'm not sure they have an idea how good you have to be to get a Senior Bowl and NFL Combine invite coming from a D2 school no one ever heard of.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes because we always have so much success in the 2nd round. 

What are your thoughts on him or are you just here to criticize my posts as usual. 

Im not alone in my opinions did you also ridicule others? 

Game over. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Jet Nut. 

What does what we've done in the past have to do with your comment?  No one was ridiculed, grow a pair.  For someone who ridicules every pick, player, coach, management, ownership you are testy

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL the thought that NY Jets scouts actually scouted this guy. 

He was at the senior bowl and combine. Everyone scouted him.

Lol that you criticize the pick and are clueless as to this and the fact that he was considered second round talent by many evaluators.

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think that in itself is creating more angst then the actually player we just picked. After what we have invested over the years in DL its kinda crazy we had to use our only second day pick on a D lineman. It is what it is.  Next thing that bothers me is he never played elite competition so if it takes a couple for him to develop then we are looking at a guy in his late 20's already.  So the pick looks bad because its obviously a need right now but no reason to think he can play right now. Just drafted a back up project that could be almost thirity before he catches on.

I don't know, DL seems like a position that translates pretty well no matter where you played.  Not like QB or CB.  He didn't seem out of place playing in the Sr Bowl.

Reality is anyone you take in the 3rd round and later has question marks, particularly in a weak draft. Most people are questioning the position or side of the call more than the pick. Anyone thinking your going to get a slam dunk in the third round is extremely unrealistic.

sounds like mac took out the dart board and hit this guys name-he knows our second pick always sucks so he tried a new method. I give him credit for the trade as we got Sam but I fully believe he wanted Baker who will bust out like 95% of the other Heisman qbs-thanks to the browns for being the browns to prevent the jets from being the jets.....

drafting older and a project in the same breath makes no sense by the way... but if Sam does great I will give Mac a pass for the failure at all of his other picks since he has been here and there have been LOTS of bad picks-but at least our next gm should have a great qb

Bowles: "I definitely believe he is a lot more pro ready than a lot of people think. When they say 'raw,' they don't mean years away. He may need some weeks, or even camp or training camp, but he'll definitely play in the rotation [on the defensive line.]. He's got heavy hands, he's quick off the ball, he stays low and he's got a great drive." 

I don’t think people are trashing Shepherd, the player, hopefully they can get him up to speed quickly so he can contribute this year.

I think it more boils down to the fact the Jets have basically ignored the offensive line for so long. It is by far the weakest part of the team. We basically only improved the center position in FA (and he is an average center which was a huge upgrade over what we had). There is limited quality depth. With 3rd rounders being about a 50/50 proposition I think many would have gambled on the Oline.

1 minute ago, kthisguy said:

I don’t think people are trashing Shepherd, the player, hopefully they can get him up to speed quickly so he can contribute this year.

I think it more boils down to the fact the Jets have basically ignored the offensive line for so long. It is by far the weakest part of the team. We basically only improved the center position in FA (and he is an average center which was a huge upgrade over what we had). There is limited quality depth. With 3rd rounders being about a 50/50 proposition I think many would have gambled on the Oline.

I think a big part of this decision was that anyone they draft on the o-line would probably sit for much of the year but this guy will be in the rotation right away.  With wilk and Richardson gone there really is a need for this guy.  

That said, i too and sick of ignoring the o-line in these drafts.  

45 minutes ago, kmnj said:

drafting older and a project in the same breath makes no sense by the way... but if Sam does great I will give Mac a pass for the failure at all of his other picks since he has been here and there have been LOTS of bad picks-but at least our next gm should have a great qb

Who says he's a project?  

I think a big part of this decision was that anyone they draft on the o-line would probably sit for much of the year but this guy will be in the rotation right away.  With wilk and Richardson gone there really is a need for this guy.  
That said, i too and sick of ignoring the o-line in these drafts.  

I think most of “hate” or really the uncertainty of this pick is the unknown. I will go out on a limb and say very few if anyone saw him play much. When you read reports that he is raw, 24 years old and from a DII school if gives people pause. Considering at 24 he should have been destroying his league. He was literally a man playing against boys. It does sound promising that he was more than holding his own at the Senior Bowl.

But with kind of household names like Brown sitting there who played very well at OU and has great bloodlines(even with a terrible combine). I would have taken the risk on a known quantity. But not being a GM I get no say.

36 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

Unless these OL are ready to step in or close to play it's hard to draft developmental OL w/the new rules and the lack of practice, hitting and colleges going to spread Os playing in two-point stances. 

“In the new CBA, you get such limited time with players,” Demoff said. “Going really young, I think, was easier when you had more time in the offseason, more time in training camp. We had a player last year who missed all of the offseason because he didn’t graduate until late, and he had 10 practices until the preseason opener.

“It’s great to have picks, but even if you hit on them, how they develop is so much harder now. You don’t necessarily have three years to develop these guys.”

The biggest reason has been the reduction in practice time. Teams used to hold full-contact practices in the offseason, two-a-days during training camp, and had no limitations on full-contact practices during the regular season.

But under the new CBA, spring practices are strictly regulated with no contact, no pads, and only four hours per day at the facility. Two-a-days in training camp have been eliminated, and teams can hold only 14 padded practices throughout the entire regular season.

These restrictions are great for the players’ health and safety, but terrible for developing young players — especially those that play in college offenses that don’t translate to the NFL.

Demoff said that the Rams ran a study, and concluded that it now takes players about three years to have the same amount of practice time they would have gotten in one year under the old CBA.

Young players usually get a couple of years to prove themselves, but if they don’t make immediate contributions, teams move on quickly.

“It’s not baseball, where you have the minor leagues and then six years of service

Why the NFL Draft isn’t as important as it used to be

https://www.bostonglobe.com/staff/volin

I think teams get into trouble when the deviate too much from drafting players at positions they need as opposed to the best players available.

Hopefully Shepherd works out, and none of us are in the scouting business.   But this pick seems at first glance “meh.”  Hopefully I am wrong.  For as much as DL is a need, EDGE and OL are just terrible.  Hopefully they can find someone at those positions.  

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bowles: "I definitely believe he is a lot more pro ready than a lot of people think. When they say 'raw,' they don't mean years away. He may need some weeks, or even camp or training camp, but he'll definitely play in the rotation [on the defensive line.]. He's got heavy hands, he's quick off the ball, he stays low and he's got a great drive." 

lol dude could not get mo or richardson to perform together and he is going to get some "raw" scrub to perform-sure I will buy that one

3 hours ago, aagarcia said:

LOSER f*cking fans you are.  Always bitching and complaining even over Darnold.  Bunch of losers you all are. Go become Pats fans 

Not a good introduction post as a new poster, friend. I also believe that guys shouldn’t hate the pick but you should take it down a tone and come at these guys with articulation and insight. 

I make that mistake sometimes myself when I get too passionate about a topic but yeah man...not cool.

jet fans love to have hope-I get it-I have been a fan far longer than most of you -thrilled we have hope at QB now but this was a bad pick in so many aspects-round 5+ sure take a flyer but not this early on a scrub that is "raw" and played against terrible talent  in college-

Archived