Day-3 (Rounds 4-7)

Greenseed4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I 100% understand this.  I was angry too at first.  The only thing I can think of which actually makes a little sense is in a perfect world, to me at least, Darnold doesn't play this season.  I hope he sits back and literally soaks everything up that McCown has to offer.  And it'll be a lot because McCown is loved and the mental part is there for him.  I HAVE  to believe that they have a plan with maybe when teams have to trim their rosters down maybe a good Tackle or a Center shake free.  It's happened before.

Also they're going to have the most money out of everyone to spend.  We now have our golden child at QB and players are going to want to be a part of what we're building here.  They can easily fill in the LT OLB and C positions with premiere impact players depending on who the FAs are next season.  We can also draft a LT or hopefully a WR1 in the draft next year.  

Every position doesn't have to be filled in this draft right now.  I was shocked and pissed they didn't go with Jamarco Jones or Crosby also.  I'm just going to let it play out and I'll be damned if this offensive line isn't a force to be reckoned with before they decide to put Darnold back there.  When I take a deeper look into it our offensive line right now isn't the worst in the world.  I would put it at average to slightly above average.

The problem is this, our intent could be that he doesn't play this season, that was the same intent the Jets had last year with Petty and Hackenberg. This offensive line puts the starter at risk. Darnold could very well see some time this year, and if he does do we want him behind an offensive line with zero depth, injury prone and regressing players? Darnold may see time due to injury, just like Petty did. 

You mention how easy it is for us to fill Oline positions in free agency, yet this free agency has literally shown that this isnt true. We've had guys using offers as bargaining chips to negotiate contracts with other teams. We literally couldnt give away our FA money. So to think that it would be "that easy" doesn't fix the fact that our Oline "right now" is suspect. 

No, every position doesn't have to be filled with this draft, but when you have a front office that's only utilised two 5th round picks in 4 years with injury prone Kelvin Beachum and James Carpenter, a guy who was signed 4 years ago in free agency is concerning. 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

A former NFL offensive lineman . But I’m sure u know way more then he do when it comes to Olineman 

So because a retired OL guy says the draft is thin at OL and KC is gonna convert a DT to guard, therefore, the Jets neglecting the OL and picking a collection of defensive JAGs is acceptable. Got it. 

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No one said elite. But it's not like any DL guy they've picked is a lock for 12 sacks either. The OL AGAIN gets neglected under this crew, the defense gets tons of picks, most of whom are JAGs, not superstars. Would a few depth OL JAG guys hurt? You can only play 11 defenders anyway. And there are also going to be free agent defenders. 

Not much point to picking a primo QB and not protecting him.  

If we would have had 2 2nd round picks, I am pretty sure we would have addressed OL at that point. Since we had to trade them away we were stuck picking at a point where the OL talent didn't justify the selection of one. 

I am still most upset about winning 5 games then any of the picks they made this year. 

Just now, Bugg said:

So because a retired OL guy says the draft is thin at OL and KC is gonna convert a DT to guard, therefore, the Jets neglecting the OL and picking a collection of defensive JAGs is acceptable. Got it. 

Everybody has said this not just him. It’s only news to dudes like you.. u think that run on guards and center in the 1st rd was by accident ? It’s because the class is weak .. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sometimes I wonder if these dudes ever sit through a season of miserable Jets football ever make the connection that the Jets are bad because the drafts are bad. But alas, every year a select group of fans goes online and screams about how great this Jets draft *actually* is and only the haters don’t see the hidden genius in it. 

Precisely. What's worse is that during the draft when you criticise folks will tell you to calm down yet when the season starts those are the same folks calling the FO stupid when those same draft picks dont produce on the field or cant even take a live snap in the league. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we would have had 2 2nd round picks, I am pretty sure we would have addressed OL at that point. Since we had to trade them away we were stuck picking at a point where the OL talent didn't justify the selection of one. 

I am still most upset about winning 5 games then any of the picks they made this year. 

But the level of defensive talent justified all these raw defense prospects over that? Again you can only play so many defenders. There was NOBODY ELSE who played OL over any of them? That's not true. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m not sure how anyone could’ve predicted Sheldon’s character issues (wasn’t a known problem at Missouri) or that Wilkerson would turn into a fat lazy bitch once he got paid. There were no telltale signs for either.

Just because those guys regressed into what they did and we cut bait doesn’t mean that you just completely ignore the position from there on out.

Whatever makes you happy my friend.

You'll simply have to forgive my lack of enthusiasm for our endless prioritization of the Defense over our worst-in-league offense.

There were some good OL in 3rd round who could have been starting by next yr. Oline are becoming expensive. Giants are paying Nate solder 15 per yr and he isn’t even top 5 OT. We have to draft young cheap talent on the OL

I agree. I think once you’d wait until the 4-5 rounds and grab really good guard prospect. Those guys are now moving into the second and third rounds. They are all getting expensive. The excuse they will take more time to develop is just pushing the timeline back a year by not taking one now and starting the process.

I like the sixth round picks. You take guys with a special talent. The CB is a speedster. The DT seems to a run stopper.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

While I don't love the OL and agree the Jets seriously need to make more investments along it next year, it really is amazing how over-dramatic some narratives around here become when we're not actually watching football for so long.  Suddenly the Jets OL is the worst of all time, with the most amusing evidence being a video from 2 years ago, despite since then having new starters at LT, C, and RT.

Don't get me wrong, there's no reason to be thrilled about this line (although I personally think Beachum is underrated around here), and there's definitely work to be done, but they're still not even close to the worst in the league today, never mind any historical level of failures.

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I guess it's okay for this front office to continuously draft QB's yet in 4 total drafts this front office has drafted a grand total of 2....TWO Olineman....both 5th round picks. Jarvis Harrison, who isnt even in the NFL and Brandon Shell, a guy who is still and unsure thing. 

I guess drafting arguably the best QB in the draft and putting him behind this offensive line is okay. 

PclGz7t.gif

You're telling folks to calm the hell down, yet you should be just as concerned when This Front Office has drafted 3 QB's in 4 years yet has invested nothing to protect them. Meanwhile, this Front office has literally invested 100's of millions as well as premium draft picks to the defensive side of the ball, primarily at the secondary and the defensive Line. 

Petty has been injured by this Oline, McCown has been injured behind this Oline and it was said that Hackenberg has to be coached up given the terrible offensive line and bad coaching at Penn St. Well, WTF do we call what this front office is doing? 

Telling folks to calm down because they want this team to invest in protecting their most prized asset is ridiculous. 

Ok so lets sit here and argue about 6th round picks who probably won't even be on the roster come opening day or would you prefer to debate signing Mike Glennon again.

COME ON MAN

"Guys, there were no O-linemen worth taking in the 3rd."

"Guys, there were no O-linemen worth taking in the 4th."

"Guys, 5th round O-lineman rarely end up starters."

"Guys, 6th round O-linemen aren't going to make an impact."

"Guys, its the 7th round.  What O-lineman did you want that would make the roster?"

Come on.  

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

isn't that what Andre Roberts was signed for? Couldn't he, or stewart, or hansen mcguire or the 11 other WRs provide that?

Is this guy really better addition than ST. Brown?

Roberts fumbled 4 times last year.  Stewart has never returned a punt in either college or pros.  Mcguire returned some punts in college but numbers not very good. 

I know nothing about this kid other than what I read during the week when we brought him in for a visit.  Supposedly was a dynamic punt returner in college -- we have not had one of them in years.  This is the 204th pick, if he can contribute in STs, that is a solid pick.  I have no idea if he is or will be any good.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

"Guys, there were no O-linemen worth taking in the 3rd."

"Guys, there were no O-linemen worth taking in the 4th."

"Guys, 5th round O-lineman rarely end up starters."

"Guys, 6th round O-linemen aren't going to make an impact."

"Guys, its the 7th round.  What O-lineman did you want that would make the roster?"

Come on.  

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!  Should we take turnstile type guys or maybe another Vlad DuCasse was available. 

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This was a top heavy OL class with 95% of the quality going in the Top 65.

We sacrificed our 2nd rounders just for the faintest chance to land Darnold.

I ask again, what’s the point of spending draft picks on more Dakota Dozier’s or Jarvis Harrison’s right now?

None of these guys are supplanting any one of our starters as a rookie, if ever.

What's the point at spending picks on Dline when Bowles couldn't get a line full of #1's to work. 

Archived