Welcome Chris Herndon

LAD_Brooklyn

STRENGTHS:

• Showed an awareness to find the dead spots in coverage but suffered from poor quarterback play, making it difficult to showcase any skills as a pass catcher.
  • A willing blocker who exhibits the physical prowess to stonewall pass rushers and also get some movement on the ground when his technique is right.
  • Physical runner after the catch. Doesn’t go down willingly, churning his legs and utilizing a stiff arm to pick up extra yardage.

Herndon proves his value in this play. He runs a good route to find some dead space in the defensive coverage and then strong hands to secure the catch. There is also a fearlessness to this as he’s almost certain to know he’ll get hit with three defenders in the area. Instead of shrinking to contact though he immediately runs through a tackle and breaks it for the TD.
  • Reliable hands. Consistently makes the catch without bobbling the pass and isn’t known for dropping the ball too much.
  • One of those subtle route runners who doesn’t seem to do anything flashy but always is able to create just enough separation when given a little space off the line.
  • Never gives up on a play. Even when the ball doesn’t go to him he shows good awareness and effort to throw a downfield block for his teammates.

WEAKNESSES:

• Not overly fast. Doesn’t come off the snap with a ton of acceleration, making it difficult for him to be the primary target in passing situations.
  • Never a featured part of the passing game. His production was limited, never cracking the 500-yard barrier and didn’t establish himself as a red zone threat either.
  • Blocking fundamentals are poor. His footwork is all over the place and he struggles to properly use his hands, allowing defenders to routinely knock him off balance.
  • Somewhat undersized for the position. He doesn’t look overly big on tape both in terms of height and overall bulk. Looks like more of an H-back.
  • Unlikely to ever be the feature tight end in an offense. He’s just not athletic enough to threaten NFL defenses in that capacity.

Pro Comparison:  Dion Sims

It’s important to note that Sims is around 30 lbs heavier, so he had a distinct advantage that Herndon doesn’t. The similarities rest in their playing styles. Neither is athletic or fast enough to be the go-to tight end in an offense but they can be a threat who understands how to get themselves open for the occasional productive play. They’re also both decent blockers who can be relied on for the most part to hold their ground against pass rushers.

6 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Herndon was a reliable stable Target at Miami. Not as good as Njoku was but came pretty close to filling his shoes. Fan of the pick.

Sounds like Herndon was also a much better blocker, wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. 

Edit: Ive read contradicting reports on his blocking. 

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I haven't watched much on this kid but the scouting reports seem to contradict each other one says solid hands one says he drops alot of catches unless I'm missreading.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

The one I read said he never had a good QB throwing to him so his catches/ drops were tough to gauge,

I guess we'll see when camp comes around.

8th ranked TE by Lindy's

6-3 252 lbs. 4.76s 4-5th round

In Our View

Herndon is rehabbing a torn MCL suffered against Pitt on November 25. Despite missing the last two games, he was the Hurricanes second-leading receiver behind Senior Bowl Invite Braxton Berrios. The MCL injury is going to rob Herndon of his initial draft value, and he won't join the five other former Miami TEs as first-round picks - Bubba Franks (2000), Jeremy Shockey (2002), Keel Winslow (2004), Greg Olsen (2006), and David Njoku (2017) - but that does not mean he'll fail to match or even exceed their NFL Careers. 

Strengths:

Versatility is Herndon's calling card. He'll be a mismatch for opponents at the next level. He has shown to be a quick learner, building on each season with the Hurricanes. He possesses long arms and once he gets going is very hard to stop with the football in his hands. He can be a formidable asset in the running game, helping to create open lanes. Although more consistency is needed, Herndon has the speed to get deep on linebackers and shows a knack for capitalizing on the underneath routes. 

Weakneses:

Herndon lacks ideal size for the position at the next level, when evaluating his upside in run blocking. He tends to telegraph his blocks and must learn to disguise his assignments better. Herndon needs to use better leverage as a blocker and tends to struggle as an in-line blocker. He does not possess the softest of hands and sometimes makes the routine catch hard to watch. A quick learner, it is essential for Herndon to master his route running to succeed in the NFL. 

Grade 6.3

28 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I haven't watched much on this kid but the scouting reports seem to contradict each other one says solid hands one says he drops alot of catches unless I'm missreading.

I don't recall a drop problem with Herndon. He was a great target in the short to mid game and always seemed to be able to pick up those first downs when you needed them.

1 minute ago, BUM-KNEE said:

His hands/catching ability seems fine to me, its his plodding slowness that bugs me.

He SHOULD be a nice weapon in moving the chains in tight games though.

He can block to so he can use that to get open as well. They won’t know if he is blocking or catching . I like it. Weird though his weakness is undersized? Seems plenty big to this Guy. 

2 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

I don't recall a drop problem with Herndon. He was a great target in the short to mid game and always seemed to be able to pick up those first downs when you needed them.

Which is IDEAL for what his role will be in this WCO by Bates that's true to the Shanahan philosophy. 

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

That is good to hear. We could use a reliable target to help move the chains.

Also worth noting how much Miami's offense dropped off after he went down with the injury. Not saying he's the best TE in the county by a long shot but he can grow into a solid option in the passing game. Watch his highlights and see him running after the catch.

Also worth noting how much Miami's offense dropped off after he went down with the injury. Not saying he's the best TE in the county by a long shot but he can grow into a solid option in the passing game. Watch his highlights and see him running after the catch.
Yea I gotta check out some of his take when I get home got stuck working today

Yea I gotta check out some of his take when I get home got stuck working today

42 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Is all the OL gone?

no.  Mac just refuses to build an Oline through the draft.  Jamarco Jones and Crosby are still sitting there.  We have 500 TEs on the roster.  Need to build an Oline.  How about an Edge defender?  Mauldin sucks.  Sweat and Okoronkwo were sitting right there dammit.  

Archived