Jets Trade 7th Rounder for DE Henry Anderson

C Mart

SELECTED BY: Colts

ROUND: 3

PICK (OVERALL): 29 (93)

PICK ANALYSIS:

"He's long with deceiving strength. I think he's an NFL starter all day long. He plays hard all day long and is a better athlete than you think. This is a really good pick here." -- Mike Mayock

COMBINE STATS

40 YARD DASH: 5.03 SEC

VERTICAL JUMP: 30.0 INCH

BROAD JUMP: 111.0 INCH

3 CONE DRILL: 7.20 SEC

20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.19 SEC

Sources Tell Us

"He plays hard like Trent Murphy did at Stanford, but Murphy was a better athlete. He's not explosive enough to be a reliable pass rusher and I don't see him as a run stuffer." -- Pac 12 regional scout 

Bottom Line

Data driven teams will be intrigued by Anderson's stuffs, impact tackles and total pressures, but the tape doesn't validate his potential to produce these numbers on the pro level. The body type screams 3-4 defensive end if he can bulk up and add power, but he might lack the balance and toughness to make it there. Anderson might just be a "tweener" without a clear NFL position

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts made yet another move on the final day of the 2018 NFL Draft, sending defensive lineman Henry Anderson to the New York Jets in exchange for their seventh-round (235th-overall) pick.

Anderson was a third-round (93rd-overall) pick out of Stanford in the 2015 NFL Draft, and has played in 29 games over the last three seasons with the Colts, with 19 starts. Last season, Anderson ended the year on Injured Reserve for the second time in his career after suffering a season-ending throat injury Week 9 against the Houston Texans.

With the Colts switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 defensive front this offseason, Anderson said he had shed 15 to 20 pounds to be able to play both on the edge as a defensive end, as well as inside as a defensive tackle.

In his three seasons in Indy, Anderson collected 55 tackles with three sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and four passes defensed.

Mike Mayock NFL.com

Stanford DE can be ideal 5-technique in NFL

You would think a Stanford player wouldn't be under the radar, but a couple of weeks ago Henry Anderson thought he was going to play in the East-West Shrine Game and got called up to the Senior Bowl. He's a defensive end at 6-foot-6, 287 pounds, and when he stays low, he can use his outstanding length to his advantage; when he gets up tall and exposes his breastplate that's when he gets in trouble. I think in two years, he's going to go from 287 to 310 pounds, and at 6-6, 310, he'll be the ideal 5-technique in a 3-4 defense, and I also think when teams get into sub packages he can use that length and quickness to his advantage and you can kick him down inside.

Above says he lost 15-20 lbs. Maybe just a maybe Jets looking to use him off the edge

Let's see.  Colts got him in the 3rd round in 2015.  He has had health issues.  We give up a 7th round pick because the Colts figure they would rather have a 7th round pick then keep this 3rd round pick they got 3 years ago.  Eureka, we've hit the mother load.

7 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Let's see.  Colts got him in the 3rd round in 2015.  He has had health issues.  We give up a 7th round pick because the Colts figure they would rather have a 7th round pick then keep this 3rd round pick they got 3 years ago.  Eureka, we've hit the mother load.

They’re switching to a 4-3...

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

D-line is gonna be pretty interesting this year. This guy stands a chance of making it into the rotation, maybe subbing in and out for Williams or Shepard?

I wouldn’t shocked if he started cause he sure did for the colts and was pretty good .  With Shepard being the rotation guy . He is only a yr older than Shep so his upside is pretty much the same . Except he has proven he can play in the nfl already 

6 hours ago, C Mart said:

I’ve been calling for an edge rusher. Maybe Jets feel Obum Gwacham can fill that role too after a year working w/Kevin Greene 

I disagree with how lenient the Jets are with knuckleheads but I think Greene might love donohue so much that he is the edge guy 

The Anderson Deal
Maccagnan was asked about the seventh-round trade for Anderson, who ended last season on IR with a fractured larynx. "He'll have to come in and pass the physical," the GM explained. "If he does not pass the physical, then obviously the trade will not go through." The Jets would likely get a Colts seventh-rounder next year in compensation.

But Mac isn't figuring the trade will go that way.

"They were changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and we actually like the player," he said. "He's 27 years old, going into the final year of his contract. But we liked him coming out of college, he's excellent from a character standpoint. We thought it was a good opportunity to maybe add a guy. We'll see how he plays for us."

On 4/28/2018 at 3:39 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

Any 7th rounder is a risk.

Archived