Jets UDFA Thread

Maxman

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw his cone time at 7.03 which is still very good, but counting pro day numbers plenty of LB prospects were better. His change of direction must be very good, his 3-cone and shuttle times were excellent, but his jumps (29" vert and 9.17 broad) were below pedestrian.  I saw him pegged at ILB.  I don't think that a 235 lb EDGE is a thing.  Should be an excellent special teamer.

I see his shot at this point as a DPR and ST guy. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, pro days are always inflated. I didn't even bother checking the vert or broad numbers, because at 235 he'd have to be Superman to hit any of the metrics, and I figure he has to be a twitch guy rather than a power guy anyway. I imagine they're looking at him for ILB/STs too, and frankly he's a longshot to make the team at all. My excitement isn't in Luvu as a player per se; more that he signals an intention to bring in legit athletes rather than slugs like Mauldin and Burris.

His UDFA guys hve been running numbers all along.  He's had numerous alleged 4.2 guys in.  They rarely pan out. Terrell Sinkfield supposedly ran a $.23 at his pro-day with over an 11' broad,  He played WR (in Giants and VIkes camps and CFL) but they have him as a CB.  Charles Johnson, the WR from Grand Valley they signed in April ran a 4.39 at 215 with an 11'+ broad, Gwachum has some crazy explosion numbers, Xavier Coleman an UDFA CB last year ( the heart surgery kid) had excellent cone/shuttle (4.15/6.86) numbers and jumps 40/10.5. Darryl Roberts had the 2nd highest SPARQ score at CB in 2016 - behind on super-freak Byron Jones who the Cowboys moved to S.  Roberts is another 11' broad jump guy and seems obviously better than Burris to me.  Lucky Whitehead had some numbers too IIRC.

This gang has always looked to hit on UDFA and waiver wire guys with super athleticism.  It seems with the high draft picks they are going more safe than boom/bust. Their first year, they signed the British discus guy Okoye who was nothing but an athlete and carried him around moving him back and forth from O to D line. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

His UDFA guys hve been running numbers all along.  He's had numerous alleged 4.2 guys in.  They rarely pan out. Terrell Sinkfield supposedly ran a $.23 at his pro-day with over an 11' broad,  He played WR (in Giants and VIkes camps and CFL) but they have him as a CB.  Charles Johnson, the WR from Grand Valley they signed in April ran a 4.39 at 215 with an 11'+ broad, Gwachum has some crazy explosion numbers, Xavier Coleman an UDFA CB last year ( the heart surgery kid had excellent cone/shuttle (4.15/6.86)numbers and jumps 40/10.5. Darryl Roberts had the 2nd highest SPARQ score at CB in 2016 - behind on super-freak Byron Jones who the Cowboys moved to S.  Roberts is another 11' broad jump guy and seems obviously better than Burris to me.  Lucky Whitehead had some numbers too IIRC.

This gang has always looked to hit on UDFA and waiver wire guys with super athleticism.  It seems with the high draft picks they are going more safe than boom/bust. Their first year, they signed the British discus guy Okoye who was nothing but an athlete. 

Sinkfield spent all last season on the PS. So between him and Derek Jones if you hit on 1 of them you’re golden. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

His UDFA guys hve been running numbers all along.  He's had numerous alleged 4.2 guys in.  They rarely pan out. Terrell Sinkfield supposedly ran a $.23 at his pro-day with over an 11' broad,  He played WR (in Giants and VIkes camps and CFL) but they have him as a CB.  Charles Johnson, the WR from Grand Valley they signed in April ran a 4.39 at 215 with an 11'+ broad, Gwachum has some crazy explosion numbers, Xavier Coleman an UDFA CB last year ( the heart surgery kid) had excellent cone/shuttle (4.15/6.86) numbers and jumps 40/10.5. Darryl Roberts had the 2nd highest SPARQ score at CB in 2016 - behind on super-freak Byron Jones who the Cowboys moved to S.  Roberts is another 11' broad jump guy and seems obviously better than Burris to me.  Lucky Whitehead had some numbers too IIRC.

This gang has always looked to hit on UDFA and waiver wire guys with super athleticism.  It seems with the high draft picks they are going more safe than boom/bust. Their first year, they signed the British discus guy Okoye who was nothing but an athlete and carried him around moving him back and forth from O to D line. 

Interesting--I guess I hadn't been following the UDFAs as closely as I should have. I think it's a good strategy to follow, which is why it always bugged me that they never followed it when it came to actual draft picks. I still don't know why we needed to spend three picks on the DL, but at least all of them are athletes, so hopefully the outlook is changing.

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Sinkfield spent all last season on the PS. So between him and Derek Jones if you hit on 1 of them you’re golden. 

The interesting thing with Sinkfield is the move to CB.  He had been listed at WR since college and had 1,000 yard season in the CFL.  He came back to the Vikings in 2016 as a WR, then he supposedly was at Minnesota's pro day doing DB drills and the Vikings had him back in camp in 2017 at CB.  At some point he allegedly ran a 4.19 40. 

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Interesting--I guess I hadn't been following the UDFAs as closely as I should have. I think it's a good strategy to follow, which is why it always bugged me that they never followed it when it came to actual draft picks. I still don't know why we needed to spend three picks on the DL, but at least all of them are athletes, so hopefully the outlook is changing.

I think it makes sense to try as many boom/bust guys as UDFA.  Philosophically it is sound.  There are some guys that you can scheme to success based on athleticism.  I think Jones is an example of them doing it with a late pick last year.  I am not sure why they went after guys like Mauldin and Burris. 

I always thought of Jordan Jenkins as a slug, but athletically SPARQ (71st percentile NFL) had him at 14th best LB. His reach is insane (83+ wingspan) and his jumps 38/10.25 were great for 260.  He did not time well, but athletically there is a reason for his success. Mauldin (14th percentile) was just as big and slow, but jumped like crap (32/9.33).  He also had excellent wingspan (80") but we basically got a nice story and motor. I will be interested to see who they expect to play across from Jenkins this year.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I always thought of Jordan Jenkins as a slug, but athletically SPARQ (71st percentile NFL) had him at 14th best LB. His reach is insane (83+ wingspan) and his jumps 38/10.25 were great for 260.  He did not time well, but athletically there is a reason for his success. Mauldin (14th percentile) was just as big and slow, but jumped like crap (32/9.33).  He also had excellent wingspan (80") but we basically got a nice story and motor. I will be interested to see who they expect to play across from Jenkins this year.

Yeah, I never had a problem with Jenkins for that reason, and sure enough he's proven to be a useful player.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The interesting thing with Sinkfield is the move to CB.  He had been listed at WR since college and had 1,000 yard season in the CFL.  He came back to the Vikings in 2016 as a WR, then he supposedly was at Minnesota's pro day doing DB drills and the Vikings had him back in camp in 2017 at CB.  At some point he allegedly ran a 4.19 40. 

yeah same as Derek Jones switching from WR to CB his last season at ol miss. 

27 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

lmao. no luvu or green or enwere

that sucks.

Green and Enwere were on the list of tryout players, so they were in camp today.   No mention of Luvu.  I could not find any mention that he signed elsewhere either.  Not sure what the deal is.

Golson.jpg

With rookie training camp under way, the Jets have inked not only their third of three sixth round draft picks in Trenton Cannon, but six additional undrafted free agents.  The six players are split down the middle in terms of offense and defense as there are three apiece from each side of the ball.

FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma: A player we highlighted last week, Flowers has an opportunity to make the roster and start for Gang Green from day 1.  For a team with so few draft picks, the Jets did well to grab the best fullback in this class who carried a fifth-round draft grade due largely to his excellent receiving skills.

OL Austin Golson, Auburn: Golson projects as an interior lineman despite having played all over the place on Auburn’s offensive line.  Not overly athletic but the Jets are in search of depth on the O-line so he may have a shot.

OL Dakoda Shepley, University of British Columbia: One of the more intriguing players on the list of players in rookie camp for the Jets, Shepley signed a three-year deal with Gang Green just a few days before being chosen with the fifth overall pick in the CFL draft.  At 6′ 5” 290 lbs, Shepley also projects as in interior lineman in the NFL.

CB Reggie Hall, Jacksonville State: A big cornerback from a small school, Hall is listed at 6′ 3” on the Jets official website and flew under the radar at Jacksonville State.  Hall is now 1 of 7 cornerbacks on the Jets roster listed at 6′ 2” or taller.

DL Lord Hyeamang, Columbia: Becomes second player on Jets roster out of Columbia, joining OLB Josh Martin.  Good combination of agility/quickness on the inside who keeps his eyes in the backfield and shows good gap discipline.

DL Mychealon Thomas, Texas Tech: A big bodied lineman, Thomas flashed some impressive ability during his time at Texas Tech as a 320 lb run stuffer.  With Mike Pennel on board, it’s hard to envision Thomas making the roster unless Pennel bombs.  Even still, Thomas could be a practice squad candidate.

Some big bodied linemen on both sides of the ball, another tall cornerback and a potential starting fullback.  Have any thoughts on these or any other Jets players?  Click here to log in to our forums and speak up.

The post Jets Sign Six Undrafted Free Agents appeared first on JetNation.com.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YTlvq1atLHw

Click here to read the full story...

42 minutes ago, JetNation said:

And still no word on Luvu! Either his agent(usually a mother) is trying to get a “priority” FA salary bump or this kid was swallowed up in the Hawaii volcano eruption! Bizarre to say the least..... nothing on social media. Stay tuned.

The Golson pick intrigues me. Hoping he can push Dozier, Harrison and Shell! Time for those 3 to step up. 

With rookie training camp under way, the Jets have inked not only their third of three sixth round draft picks in Trenton Cannon, but six additional undrafted free agents.  The six players are split down the middle in terms of offense and defense as there are three apiece from each side of the ball.

FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma: A player we highlighted last week, Flowers has an opportunity to make the roster and start for Gang Green from day 1.  For a team with so few draft picks, the Jets did well to grab the best fullback in this class who carried a fifth-round draft grade due largely to his excellent receiving skills.

OL Austin Golson, Auburn: Golson projects as an interior lineman despite having played all over the place on Auburn’s offensive line.  Not overly athletic but the Jets are in search of depth on the O-line so he may have a shot.

OL Dakoda Shepley, University of British Columbia: One of the more intriguing players on the list of players in rookie camp for the Jets, Shepley signed a three-year deal with Gang Green just a few days before being chosen with the fifth overall pick in the CFL draft.  At 6′ 5” 290 lbs, Shepley also projects as in interior lineman in the NFL.

CB Reggie Hall, Jacksonville State: A big cornerback from a small school, Hall is listed at 6′ 3” on the Jets official website and flew under the radar at Jacksonville State.  Hall is now 1 of 7 cornerbacks on the Jets roster listed at 6′ 2” or taller.

DL Lord Hyeamang, Columbia: Becomes second player on Jets roster out of Columbia, joining OLB Josh Martin.  Good combination of agility/quickness on the inside who keeps his eyes in the backfield and shows good gap discipline.

DL Mychealon Thomas, Texas Tech: A big bodied lineman, Thomas flashed some impressive ability during his time at Texas Tech as a 320 lb run stuffer.  With Mike Pennel on board, it’s hard to envision Thomas making the roster unless Pennel bombs.  Even still, Thomas could be a practice squad candidate.

Some big bodied linemen on both sides of the ball, another tall cornerback and a potential starting fullback.  Have any thoughts on these or any other Jets players?  Click here to log in to our forums and speak up.

The post Jets Sign Six Undrafted Free Agents appeared first on JetNation.com.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

YTlvq1atLHw

Click here to read the full story...

I would just like to say that it’s OK if NJ.com gets bought by a hedge funder who proceeds to drive it into the ground. Their content is pathetic. I hate to give them the clicks, but I think it’s important to look at this trash and vilify it. Most of Slater’s crap wouldn’t even merit a three-reply post on this godforsaken message board.

https://www.nj.com/expo/erry-2018/05/c149c9b0209185/jets_rookie_minicamp_who_stood.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Jets were hoping to sign Mr. Irrelevant, Jamal Adams’ college teammate, as an undrafted free agent 

The Jets came within seconds of landing Mr. Irrelevant before he actually became Mr. Irrelevant.

Every NFL draft is sprinkled with cool stories that slowly bubble to the surface. Here's a Day 3 nugget of a potential playmaker who nearly became a Jet.

My understanding is that the Jets were targeting SMU wide receiver Trey Quinn before Washington grabbed him with the 256th and final pick of the draft.

Quinn is a fascinating prospect that was expected to be drafted on the third day. He's a sturdy 6-0, 203-pound slot receiver that probably would have had a good chance of sticking with the Jets. (He also has some experience as a returner.)

I know what you're thinking: Don't the Jets already have enough receivers on the roster?

Remember this: It's not about having too many players at a given position. It's about having the right players.

Quinn has an interesting background that includes two non-descript seasons at LSU. Yes, he was college teammates with Jets safety Jamal Adams. Oh, he also pitched a no-hitter in the Little League World Series once upon a time, but I don't think the Jets were swayed by that star on his resume.

Quinn transferred to SMU, where he took a red-shirt year before flourishing in 2017. He had a nation-high 114 receptions for 1,236 yards and 13 touchdowns en route to All-American Athletic Conference honors last season. He's a terrific route runner with solid hands and really good size in the slot. Some people, however, wonder whether he was a one-year fluke.

The Jets, who selected Virginia State running back Trenton Cannon with their final pick (No. 204 in Round 6), believed that they were on the verge of getting a potential undrafted steal. They were ready to pounce on Quinn during the hectic moments after the draft when teams scurry to land coveted undrafted players.

Then, Quinn became Mr. Irrelevant.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-wanted-sign-mr-irrelevant-jamal-adams-college-teammate-article-1.3970632

Archived