Jets UDFA Thread

Maxman

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

so all these online UDFA reports are wrong?

I was looking forward to the RBs Green and Enwere.

I think people are confusing tryout players w/signed UDFA.

As reference, last yr OL Ben Braden was a tryout guy who after the weekend the Jets signed as an UDFA. 

Running Back
Vic Enwere (6’0”, 245), California — Played in 43 games (five starts) in four years for the Bears while rushing for 1,411 yards and 17 touchdowns. 

Ryan Green (5’10”, 204), Florida State — A top-50 high school recruit, Green battled injuries and totaled 30 carries for 232 yards and three touchdowns in three years for the Seminoles.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/44-Player-Tryout-List-Includes-Jets-Blood-/fb2fb27a-f6b0-42d4-92c0-a1c86ea3b316

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JetNation said:

Golson.jpg

With rookie training camp under way, the Jets have inked not only their third of three sixth round draft picks in Trenton Cannon, but six additional undrafted free agents.  The six players are split down the middle in terms of offense and defense as there are three apiece from each side of the ball.

FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma: A player we highlighted last week, Flowers has an opportunity to make the roster and start for Gang Green from day 1.  For a team with so few draft picks, the Jets did well to grab the best fullback in this class who carried a fifth-round draft grade due largely to his excellent receiving skills.

OL Austin Golson, Auburn: Golson projects as an interior lineman despite having played all over the place on Auburn’s offensive line.  Not overly athletic but the Jets are in search of depth on the O-line so he may have a shot.

OL Dakoda Shepley, University of British Columbia: One of the more intriguing players on the list of players in rookie camp for the Jets, Shepley signed a three-year deal with Gang Green just a few days before being chosen with the fifth overall pick in the CFL draft.  At 6′ 5” 290 lbs, Shepley also projects as in interior lineman in the NFL.

CB Reggie Hall, Jacksonville State: A big cornerback from a small school, Hall is listed at 6′ 3” on the Jets official website and flew under the radar at Jacksonville State.  Hall is now 1 of 7 cornerbacks on the Jets roster listed at 6′ 2” or taller.

DL Lord Hyeamang, Columbia: Becomes second player on Jets roster out of Columbia, joining OLB Josh Martin.  Good combination of agility/quickness on the inside who keeps his eyes in the backfield and shows good gap discipline.

DL Mychealon Thomas, Texas Tech: A big bodied lineman, Thomas flashed some impressive ability during his time at Texas Tech as a 320 lb run stuffer.  With Mike Pennel on board, it’s hard to envision Thomas making the roster unless Pennel bombs.  Even still, Thomas could be a practice squad candidate.

Some big bodied linemen on both sides of the ball, another tall cornerback and a potential starting fullback.  Have any thoughts on these or any other Jets players?  Click here to log in to our forums and speak up.

The post Jets Sign Six Undrafted Free Agents appeared first on JetNation.com.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

YTlvq1atLHw

Click here to read the full story...

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏Verified account @DWAZ73 

#Jets have signed OL Darius James, a UDFA from Auburn. ... NY's roster now at 90.

Max roster size this time of year is 90. Jets are at 90, including their draft picks (even though they aren't all signed).

So that's why you see the list of 44 tryout guys. Obviously, if the Jets decide to sign a tryout guy after the weekend they have to subsequently waive a guy. 

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I think people are confusing tryout players w/signed UDFA.

As reference, last yr OL Ben Braden was a tryout guy who after the weekend the Jets signed as an UDFA

Running Back
Vic Enwere (6’0”, 245), California — Played in 43 games (five starts) in four years for the Bears while rushing for 1,411 yards and 17 touchdowns. 

Ryan Green (5’10”, 204), Florida State — A top-50 high school recruit, Green battled injuries and totaled 30 carries for 232 yards and three touchdowns in three years for the Seminoles.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/44-Player-Tryout-List-Includes-Jets-Blood-/fb2fb27a-f6b0-42d4-92c0-a1c86ea3b316

I see. The online reports are crap. So these players are really long shots. 

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏Verified account @DWAZ73 

#Jets have signed OL Darius James, a UDFA from Auburn. ... NY's roster now at 90.

Max roster size this time of year is 90. Jets are at 90, including their draft picks (even though they aren't all signed).

So that's why you see the list of 44 tryout guys. Obviously, if the Jets decide to sign a tryout guy after the weekend they have to subsequently waive a guy. 

I wonder if Luvu is on the 90 man?

54 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets were hoping to sign Mr. Irrelevant, Jamal Adams’ college teammate, as an undrafted free agent 

The Jets came within seconds of landing Mr. Irrelevant before he actually became Mr. Irrelevant.

Every NFL draft is sprinkled with cool stories that slowly bubble to the surface. Here's a Day 3 nugget of a potential playmaker who nearly became a Jet.

My understanding is that the Jets were targeting SMU wide receiver Trey Quinn before Washington grabbed him with the 256th and final pick of the draft.

Thus the massive importance of even a 7th round pick.  Every pick can be precious and it is one reason Tannenbaum and rex used to drive me mad by treating them with such little regard.

Each year about 250-300 or so udfa get signed by teams.  Probably as many udfa as players that are drafted.  One 7th round pick puts you at the front of this list of players.

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

CB Reggie Hall, Jacksonville State: A big cornerback from a small school, Hall is listed at 6′ 3” on the Jets official website and flew under the radar at Jacksonville State.  Hall is now 1 of 7 cornerbacks on the Jets roster listed at 6′ 2” or taller.

Click here to read the full story...

There is a problem with this theory.  Hall is apparently slightly under 6'1"  Reggie Hall Draft Profile  nfldraftscout.com does not let you cut and paste. Relying on listed height is risky, especially in the Ohio Valley Conference.  His arm length wasn't anything crazy, 32 1/2, but his wingspan was huge (over 80")  Makes the Seahawks cut.  That is surely more important than height.  Jacksonville State's other CB, Siran Neal,  was drafted by the Bills in the 5th.   

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would just like to say that it’s OK if NJ.com gets bought by a hedge funder who proceeds to drive it into the ground. Their content is pathetic. I hate to give them the clicks, but I think it’s important to look at this trash and vilify it. Most of Slater’s crap wouldn’t even merit a three-reply post on this godforsaken message board.

https://www.nj.com/expo/erry-2018/05/c149c9b0209185/jets_rookie_minicamp_who_stood.html#incart_river_mobile_index

To be fair, they are the only ones that post the roster for mini-camp, listing all the tryout players.  I didn't even find it on the team website.  I posted it in the minicamp site, so won't put the whole list here, but this is the link. 

UDFA and try-out roster

5-11 is what I see as a net sum of all these moves? Not a single player from this draft will be an immediate contributor. Meanwhile, the OL remains horribly neglected 4 years running. The DL has taken a serious step backwards. The entire front 7 is going to have serious problems stopping the run. I'd bet the defense gives up on average over a 100 yards per game? So 5-11, maybe 4-12? Either way there's no one that could possibly survive 3 straight 5-11 seasons EXCEPT Mac and Blowes.

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Keep looking for info on Luvu and am only seeing links to him and the Jets. Going to try and tweet the Jets inside reporter (forget name) on Jets website  and see if he can get an answer.

Maybe Washington State has one of those deals where the players can’t leave campus yet because of finals or whatever? 

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Keep looking for info on Luvu and am only seeing links to him and the Jets. Going to try and tweet the Jets inside reporter (forget name) on Jets website  and see if he can get an answer.

+1

Nothing really new on him since he had some April visits with the Raiders.  It is possible that he is dinged and wouldn't have been able to participate.  They have to cut guys to keep themselves at the 90, so if he isn't ready to go it might make sent to stash him.  

On 5/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, 32EBoozer said:

I thought that it was reported that he was signed asan UDFA. Them boom, guy falls off the end of the earth?

Boom!

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

5/6/18, 4:39 PM

#Jets announce they have signed linebackers Frankie Luvu and Anthony Wint, and waived cornerback Reggie Hall and defensive tackle Lord Hyeamang.

46 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Never heard of this guy.... but that’s not saying much ?

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Boom!

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

5/6/18, 4:39 PM

#Jets announce they have signed linebackers Frankie Luvu and Anthony Wint, and waived cornerback Reggie Hall and defensive tackle Lord Hyeamang.

??

FB Dimitri Flowers Feeling Right at Home

Posted 20 hours ago

Randy LangeNYJets.com Contributor@rlangejets

Jets' Undrafted FA from Oklahoma Comes from a Football Family and the Football-Mad State of Texas

Three steps and one right turn past where Dimitri Flowers was sitting, a media scrum had broken out as Sam Darnold leaned against the outside walls of two banks of standing lockers for his first Jets news conference of rookie minicamp.

Flowers barely batted an eye.

"With Baker at Oklahoma, we had that all the time," he told me, referring of course to Baker Mayfield, the first quarterback taken in last week's draft before Darnold went to the Jets.

Flowers was not in the same draft stratum as the first-round QBs — the Sooners' 6'2", 248-pound fullback was signed by the Jets as an undrafted free agent. But the NFL stage is clearly not too big for him. Part of that comes from his lineage.

"My father was a first-round draft pick by the Bills back in 2000," he said. "Then my cousin this year just got drafted by the Seahawks in the fifth round."

That would be dad Erik Flowers, the DE-LB out of Arizona State who was taken 26th overall and played 58 games for Buffalo, Houston and St. Louis over a five-year career, and cousin Tre Flowers, the strong safety out of Oklahoma State.

But Dimitri Flowers is also a top student/athlete in his own right, a product of the crucibles of Texas high school football and baseball. At Churchill HS in San Antonio, he was a centerfielder in the spring and a running back, receiver and wildcat QB in the fall.

"I never blocked in high school, or rarely did," he recalled. "So getting to Oklahoma, it took me a little while to adjust to playing that role. But I think I picked it up pretty well."

Indeed, he was named All-Big 12 first team after his senior season, and for his OU career, while he had only 36 rushes for 151 yards and four TDs, he also totaled 54 receptions for 886 yards and 13 TDs. Includled in those totals were three catches for 53 yards and a TD pass from Mayfield in the Rose Bowl.

"I never dropped a ball in college, and actually I'm tied with DeMarco Murray for receiving touchdowns by a running back at Oklahoma," Flowers said. "It's something I've always taken pride in. I don't always get a lot of opportunities, so I have to take advantage of them."

And that's what he's doing now as he tries to carve out a spot on the Jets roster. It's still early in his pro career but he said, "I'm doing well. It's been a blast these past couple of days."

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 6:45 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Did Hercules Mata'afa sign somewhere.  Would be a nice pick up.

I liked him a lot before the draft. Actually surprised he didn't go in 6th or 7th round. Considering he played DT at 254 lbs is RIDICULOUS and just shows how strong he is. If he can figure out the subtleties of playing OLB and gets used to rushing from the outside instead of putting his hand in the dirt, he could become a great pass rusher, a draft steal, and make the Vikings look brilliant. 

On 4/28/2018 at 8:13 PM, #90 said:

Anything on Joe Ostman(Edge)?

REALLY wanted to see him come on as UDFA. Am actually unsure why and sad we didn't push for him. He had a ridiculous senior year...could maybe even have been starting pass rusher for us.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:27 AM, DMan77 said:

I expect Dimirti Flowers to make this team in some capacity. That's a nice pickup.

EXCELLENT pick up! I still cannot believe he wasn't drafted. As much as I like and am a fan of Lawrence Thomas, he will lose FB competition to Flowers.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:40 PM, Jetscreen said:

5-11 is what I see as a net sum of all these moves? Not a single player from this draft will be an immediate contributor. Meanwhile, the OL remains horribly neglected 4 years running. The DL has taken a serious step backwards. The entire front 7 is going to have serious problems stopping the run. I'd bet the defense gives up on average over a 100 yards per game? So 5-11, maybe 4-12? Either way there's no one that could possibly survive 3 straight 5-11 seasons EXCEPT Mac and Blowes.

Nathan Shepard has looked pretty impressive and counters both of your arguments. 

I also heard Henry Anderson was okay at stopping the run. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Nathan Shepard has looked pretty impressive and counters both of your arguments. 

I also heard Henry Anderson was okay at stopping the run. 

Leonard Williams,Shepard,Anderson and newly added Upshaw things are shaping up for the DL 

Archived